General "Pixel 6 doesn’t actually charge at 30W as Google implies, analysis finds 22W max"

Search This thread

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm gonna take a look at accuBattery. Ampere is pretty bare bones. I have the gen 5 too, wish they would offer a trade in for the gen 6. Like $125 customer loyalty.. Lol
@roirraW "edor" I can test the fpr on my banking app.. Good enough for now.
Edit.. bought the pro version just now.. Time for the tutorial!
Yeah I have come to like my gen 5. It's battery hasn't been amazing but after 2 years and then some, it hasn't had much degradation. I was tempted to get the gen 6 but I'll wait for a gen 7, hopefully. More advanced health tracking and double the battery would be great.

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
Google Pixel 6
The lawsuit doesn't stand a chance.
I don't know if anyone saw this on Google store Pixel 6 Pro battery and charging specs or not:

Code:
Fast charging6 – up to 50% charge in about 30 minutes6 – with Google 30W USB-C® Charger with USB-PD 3.0 (PPS) sold separately

Even in their testing they mentioned that it does charges the phone at full speed until 50%. And that's what even Google says about it.

On side note, I have never ever been fan of super high speed charging. This degrades the battery sooner than you can think. There's a reason, Tesla asks its customers not to charge their Tesla at the Supercharger station regularly.
People use Tesla's for many years. Sometimes over 10. Nowadays people use phones one to two years -- as long as you have some decent money. This is simply not a good comparison in my opinion.

I'm sorry but 2 hours to charge a 500ah battery from 0 to 100 is ridiculous. I have a 9 Pro which I fast charges all the time. 65 watt. Charges from 0 to 100 in 29 minutes... Had it for 10 months and have noticed absolutely zero degradation.

The hysteria continues.

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
Google Pixel 6
I think that's a good thing. Fast charging batteries at that pace to near-full on a repeated basis would probably wear that battery down twice as fast. High powered usb-c in my P2XL wore my battery down super fast a couple years ago, it's been painful since that mistake.
Only it doesn't. I have a nine pro and had it for 10 months. 29 minutes from 0 to 100 and 65 watt. Next to no degradation at all.

MacLaughlin

Feb 23, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I've tested many different chargers so far. You have to make sure the charger supports PPS. A nice trade of is the Spigen Arc Station. This one does the job quite well and keeps a pretty high current.
Of course there are some other chargers available on AliExpress which support PPS and are at a lower price.

unknown00

Jul 28, 2007
can we all pray a software/firmware fix gives us REAL 30w all the time?

thoughts on some 1337 dev on XDA making the fix for us?

Reactions: ThugEsquire

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Wouldn't it be easier and more accurate to test with a physical inline meter, instead of relying on software on the device you are testing?
I'm relatively sure that the problem with a physical is that it will only tell you how much wattage the power adapter takes out of the wall, NOT the exact amount it will pump into the phone (those two values differ). That's also the issue with those 120 Watt charging brands - their numbers are fake. 120 Watts is the amount that the power adapter wants from the wall socket, but in reality "only" about ~96 Watts peak get pumped into the phone. Of course that number is still impressive, but it's simply not accurate according to the advertisements.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I have a Samsung PPS charger and I believe it's the same one with a PPS max of 11v2.25a. It does 20% to 80% in 55 minutes or less for me.

With AccuBattery Pro I has an alert set to 80% charge by default. I usually stay close enough within my Fossil Gen 5 Carlyle range and I'll get an alert when it's time to take it off the charger. I did see the ADB command to stop the charging but there are times when I do want to hit 100% of course.
So for the most part you take it off the charger at 80%? That might be a little aggressive for my usage but I did set it to 90% to start. If I can get to the end of the day with 40% or more I might drop it. It really does trickle charge above 95% which I kind of like. I just wonder with adaptive charging when is power used from the charger and when from the battery. I saw a post regarding this but couldn't quite figure out what he was saying.

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I'm relatively sure that the problem with a physical is that it will only tell you how much wattage the power adapter takes out of the wall, NOT the exact amount it will pump into the phone (those two values differ). That's also the issue with those 120 Watt charging brands - their numbers are fake. 120 Watts is the amount that the power adapter wants from the wall socket, but in reality "only" about ~96 Watts peak get pumped into the phone. Of course that number is still impressive, but it's simply not accurate according to the advertisements.
Most meters in referring to are ones that actually plug into the usbC socket, like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NXRPNPR. They show the amount of power going through the USB interface and doesn't care about the charging bricks shenanigans

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So for the most part you take it off the charger at 80%? That might be a little aggressive for my usage but I did set it to 90% to start. If I can get to the end of the day with 40% or more I might drop it. It really does trickle charge above 95% which I kind of like. I just wonder with adaptive charging when is power used from the charger and when from the battery. I saw a post regarding this but couldn't quite figure out what he was saying.
For me, the time to wait to get from 80% to 90% isn't worth it to me. I can last a good 5 hours SOT with only 80% battery which is enough for me. And again, I have the luxury of topping off if I need to at work and/or during my commute home during my drive.

Adaptive charging is for real if you have an alarm set. I've checked my phone in the middle of the night after 3 hours and it was only at 50-something% so it was definitely slow charging up to the alarm time.

Reactions: bobby janow

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Most meters in referring to are ones that actually plug into the usbC socket, like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NXRPNPR. They show the amount of power going through the USB interface and doesn't care about the charging bricks shenanigans
Oh that's awesome, I didn't know that these small usb sized exist, I only knew the big ones that you can put in between your device and the wall socket.

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
Google Pixel 6
For me, the time to wait to get from 80% to 90% isn't worth it to me. I can last a good 5 hours SOT with only 80% battery which is enough for me. And again, I have the luxury of topping off if I need to at work and/or during my commute home during my drive.

Adaptive charging is for real if you have an alarm set. I've checked my phone in the middle of the night after 3 hours and it was only at 50-something% so it was definitely slow charging up to the alarm time.
I totally hear what you're saying bro. But there's simply is no "luxury of topping off". Charging from 80 to 100 will probably take you a full hour. That's a bit ridiculous.

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
I think we should be able to have a choice, a simple toggle. Fast charge ON/OFF. But not sure if they'll ever do it (or if it's even easy to do). I used to be a huge proponent of slow charging but now I'm not so sure. And there's devices that limit charging like the "chargie" (chargie.org) but cost over 60cad with shipping. I think we need more information or data from the manufacturers so we can make better decisions. It's an interesting topic to say the least.

Just reading some comments in this thread, and some are seeing 27 watts or higher (according to the kernel manager). So curious why some sites that did some tests never saw higher than 22/23 watts since they were using external hardware for the tests? And on a different note, I wonder how accurate AccuBattery is, maybe someone with a hardware meter or kernel manager can test it's accuracy (some say it's +-5% which is fine).

Last edited:

ThugEsquire

Jun 4, 2010
I think we should be able to have a choice, a simple toggle. Fast charge ON/OFF. But not sure if they'll ever do it (or if it's even easy to do). I used to be a huge proponent of slow charging but now I'm not so sure. And there's devices that limit charging like the "chargie" (chargie.org) but cost over 60cad with shipping. I think we need more information or data from the manufacturers so we can make better decisions. It's an interesting topic to say the least.
Funny you mention this: Samsung has toggles for fast charging and fast wireless charging in One UI. So it's 100% possible

Reactions: Alekos

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
I'm inclined to ignore the kernel manager when it says my chargers can hit above 30 watts.

Reactions: Alekos

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    9to5Google has released an interesting article. I never noticed this, since I charge my phone slowly overnight with a 5 watt wireless charger. Have you guys also experienced this? Can people here with root can confirm wattage measurements? Especially the decrease overtime?

As it seems, both the Pixel 6 & Pixel 6 Pro are affected by this.

Google is notorious for having algorithms that sometime suck and need refinement, just like Adaptive Charging that only likes you when you are a normal human being that wakes up in the morning; if you are a night worker, Google doesn't care about you.

So those paying extra for a Google 30w charger were ripped off, I was already angry at being charged £25 for what is a rubber case
    I was already angry at being charged the same price for phones, even though they removed the headphone jack adapter, the charging brick and the headphones. Manufacturers are like "ah yes, muchos environment benefit!" and "wat? You think we lower our prices because we save money? Muhahaha. No. We just make more money now. CAPITALISM ROCKZ!" - aha. They continue to take things away, but the price is just going up. No idea why other people are not bothered by this development. Especially considering the retail prices that manufactures demand. Just take a look at Google. They want 30 bucks for their charging bricks, 12 bucks for their headphone adapter and their old Pixel headphones are are also 35 bucks. That's 77 bucks MSRP that they just "vanished" - but did they decrease the price of a phone? Nope.

And Google here is not even the tip of the iceberg. Just take a look at the prices that apple demands for all the things they took away over the years. You can just add another 100 bucks on top of your phone purchase, if you want the same scope of delivery, compared to years past.

I remember a time when most phones even came with a decent case. Lel... and phones that cost 500-600 bucks were considered high end. Nowadays, that's barely higher midrange...
    I keep hearing people tout this nonsense. There's always a guy or two in every forum that will say something similar to this.

I'm not buying it. I fast charged the living sh1t out of my 9 Pro all the time.65w. battery goes to 0 to 100 and 29 minutes. Zero battery degradation. Let me repeat that. Zero. Performs just like it did on day one.

If you don't believe me, just watch Flossy Carter's channel. He talks about it ad nauseam. He has a mi 11 Ultra, and has had it for a year. Has 120 w charging. And his battery is exactly the same as it was when he bought it a year ago.

In addition to this , people these days are getting a new phone every one or two years.

I'm sorry the trade-off is more than worth it. Waiting 2 hours for my pixel 6 Pro to charge is ridiculous.
    Do as you please of course. I don't usually fast charge as it does impact battery life. And I don't need to watch any channel about that. I have 25+ years experience as a power electronics engineer working in the power supply industry.
    The lawsuit doesn't stand a chance.
    I don't know if anyone saw this on Google store Pixel 6 Pro battery and charging specs or not:

Code:
    Fast charging6 – up to 50% charge in about 30 minutes6 – with Google 30W USB-C® Charger with USB-PD 3.0 (PPS) sold separately

Even in their testing they mentioned that it does charges the phone at full speed until 50%. And that's what even Google says about it.

On side note, I have never ever been fan of super high speed charging. This degrades the battery sooner than you can think. There's a reason, Tesla asks its customers not to charge their Tesla at the Supercharger station regularly.
    So those paying extra for a Google 30w charger were ripped off, I was already angry at being charged £25 for what is a rubber case