Question pixel 6 "Google notifications"

Search This thread

DGL2033

May 2, 2016
Does anyone know why I'm getting a Google Downloading notification so many times a day, and you can't clear them either, without disabling every notification in settings. It doesn't give any clue as to what's being downloaded. When I tap & hold it, it leads to a list of about 25 different notifications. I've tried disabling them in various combinations, to no avail. It's not updates to play services, or other system apps. I see those updates separately. I'm at a loss as to what it is for. It pops up many times when using Google keyboard, especially at times I'm typing in a search inquiry, on all kinds of different apps. But, it does appear at times I'm not using keyboard, though, less frequently.

DGL2033

May 2, 2016
Got a screenshot or something to help identify it?
I can't screenshot the notifications shade when pulled down. All it shows is two arrows in a circle one over the other, Google (dot) 1min which continues the count for several minutes. And under that, Downloading. I can activate or cause it to appear when I type in any search bar, in any browser app, or other apps, so, I'm thinking it has something to do with the Google keyboard perhaps. It's really starting to annoy, or frustrate me.

Solomon M

Oct 31, 2017
i was just able to take screenshots of notifications? ( Pressing at the same time POWER and VOL - ) you could also if you really wanted to help anyone figure out how to help you: screen record it then export photo, or even find the image online.

let me re-read what you have here and consider it further.

DGL2033

May 2, 2016
i was just able to take screenshots of notifications? ( Pressing at the same time POWER and VOL - ) you could also if you really wanted to help anyone figure out how to help you: screen record it then export photo, or even find the image online.

let me re-read what you have here and consider it further.
I forgot you can do that manually, I'll post screenshot momentarily.

DGL2033

May 2, 2016
Screenshot_20220125-193619.png

Solomon M

Oct 31, 2017
Hmmm. looks a lot like the sync icon for profile stuff like contacts and calendar etc.

Could be glitching while attempting to sync from the cloud? I would maybe turn that off and see if it does it.

If you turn off all google notifications does it still do?

to be honest i have not ever seen that before, so im wildly guessing and im not an expert lol. it sometimes takes a while to get a response here and sometimes no response is given at all. i would suggest posting your question here:

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/new?source=need_more_help

DGL2033

May 2, 2016
I mean tho that one says 23 notifications a day of "data download" turn that off. that is likely it.
That might have done the trick, as soon as I turned it off, the notification disappeared from my shade. I'll give it a day or so, and report back. I must have missed that in my earlier messing around. Hopefully, it's cured?👍

Solomon M

Oct 31, 2017
It is likely the speech services trying to download your language files. It could be easily solved if that is the case and you connect to wifi then do what would make it happen again and give it time to download what it needs.

As a side-note turning off the notification is just masking the issue. if you really want to get to the root of the problem what i would do is look at running the stuff running and close them one by one, while also clearing each of their cache, and when you find out which one is causing it such as the google speech language download (which is very likely) then clear data to that app and be connected to wifi because otherwise it wont download.

DGL2033

May 2, 2016
I can report that the notification is no longer activated when typing in a search bar. So far, that's a good sign.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
It is likely the speech services trying to download your language files. It could be easily solved if that is the case and you connect to wifi then do what would make it happen again and give it time to download what it needs.

As a side-note turning off the notification is just masking the issue. if you really want to get to the root of the problem what i would do is look at running the stuff running and close them one by one, while also clearing each of their cache, and when you find out which one is causing it such as the google speech language download (which is very likely) then clear data to that app and be connected to wifi because otherwise it wont download.
I thought it might be speech services as well at first, but then I remembered just yesterday I was getting a download for speech services and the notification actually said "speech services".

Solomon M

Oct 31, 2017
well it is a 334 mb file so give it enough time maybe. but yeah likely be resolved from being connected to wifi for a while maybe reboot while on wifi. but yeah turing that off should make it just stop telling you it need to download something.

DGL2033

May 2, 2016
I thought it might be speech services as well at first, but then I remembered just yesterday I was getting a download for speech services and the notification actually said "speech services".
Speech services is one of the first things I nuked when setting the device up. I'm not a fan. Could be due to my interest, hence search terms activate the download, but, I've turned off most of that stuff in other Google settings.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I mean tho that one says 23 notifications a day of "data download" turn that off. that is likely it.