Question Pixel 6 Pro Camera Problem

Search This thread

26donny

Dec 28, 2019
When I'm trying to take a pic in the dark, I noticed that the viewfinder and post picture has smudges/spots on them. It seems to only be on the main camera and in really dark scenarios. Can anyone confirm they have this as well?

Attachments

• PXL_20211030_075254335.jpg
    PXL_20211030_075254335.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 727
  • Screenshot_20211030-000946.png
    Screenshot_20211030-000946.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 726

Craphead

Jul 15, 2012
Dachau
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Craphead

Jul 15, 2012
Dachau
Here is a collection of example pictures that other users have posted in regard to this problem. As you can see, it's a serious issue. I'd encourage everybody who bought a Pixel 6 to check if they have the same problem and write to Google support if so. They sooner they learn there is something wrong with some lenses the sooner they can do something about it.

Attachments

• Fleckengate1.png
    Fleckengate1.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 412
  • Fleckengate4.JPG
    Fleckengate4.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 379
  • Fleckengate2.jpg
    Fleckengate2.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 348
  • Fleckengate3.png
    Fleckengate3.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,166
  • Fleckengate5.JPG
    Fleckengate5.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 366
  • Fleckengate6.JPG
    Fleckengate6.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,201
Reactions: chalan30

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
You just need to move the phone slowly over a fairly dark uniform image, the marks will then become clear because they will show up as static parts of the image. This is very similar to the dirty screen effect on OLED and LCD screens. It looks like contamination on the sensor itself, either it hasn't been washed properly or a coating hasn't covered correctly when it was manufactured. Definately a hardware issue, if effected get the phone sent back, it can't be fixed by software.

I've checked mine and no sign of a problem, thankfully.

Reactions: Batfink33

Craphead

Jul 15, 2012
Dachau
Hmmmm, I don't seem to have that but maybe it needs to be darker?
I'm quite certain not every phone out there is actually affected by this. Maybe yours thankfully just is fine. But everybody should definitely check theirs. Also since I don't have one myself yet I'm not sure whether the problem only occurs when shooting in night mode or not.

Reactions: Batfink33

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
I'm quite certain not every phone out there is actually affected by this. Maybe yours thankfully just is fine. But everybody should definitely check theirs. Also since I don't have one myself yet I'm not sure whether the problem only occurs when shooting in night mode or not.
I'll try again later when it's dark. Looks like a hardware problem.

hibby50

Jan 26, 2008
forum.ppcgeeks.com
I've got the issue. Any further info on this in English? I translated the website looks like no info from Google yet

Attachments

• PXL_20211102_021501655.jpg
    PXL_20211102_021501655.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 339

chalan30

Nov 15, 2009
AUSTIN, TX
Has anyone had any further contact with google about this? They were supposed to contact me by friday after closing out my original ticket without ever actually talking to me... Here's a video of what it looks like through my view finder.

Attachments

• ghosting vid.mp4
    76.3 MB · Views: 0

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I just read an article about how Google doesn't recognize this as a hardware problem. I'm sorry for you guys here.

If it really is a hardware issue, we need to make more waves and get more attention so Google starts to act.

By the way, did you guys clean your camera lens properly? Did you try to look into it with a flashlight, to see if there is some dirt in there? And did you try a factory reset to see if it's not just a software issue? Or try it out in safemode?

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
It's not on the camera lens, if it was you would see the pattern move as OIS moved the lens and most likely it would be out of focus and hardly visible if at all.

The problem is on the sensor, it's either happened in the assembly process of the phone and some solvent has ended up on the sensor then evaporated leaving a dirty mark, or the sensor was already marked when put into the camera module.

It isn't software causing that.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
It's not on the camera lens, if it was you would see the pattern move as OIS moved the lens and most likely it would be out of focus and hardly visible if at all.

The problem is on the sensor, it's either happened in the assembly process of the phone and some solvent has ended up on the sensor then evaporated leaving a dirty mark, or the sensor was already marked when put into the camera module.

That makes sense, but you still never know with Google and their glitchy software, so a factory reset/safemode try might still be worth, well, the try.

A hardware issue like the one you describe wouldn't surprise me, as already discussed in other threads, we know because of the leaked Assembly video, that a human assembles the P6 Pro almost entirely alone by, well, hand. Which means there are lots and lots of rooms for error, it might even be just a protective film over a sensor that the human responsible forgot to remove.

As reference, a copy of the video that has not yet been taken down by Google

->

As you can see in 01:51, there are several protective films (2 layers, one on the backside of the chassie, one on the lens module part) that need to be manually removed by hand, without a tool. Even if the human removed them correctly, he might have smudged the lenses accidentally by having a contaminated glove.

Besides that, as you mentioned, it might also be a defective module from the beginning, because the sensor itself was contaminated in the assembly process. Even though that would greatly surprise me, since it's a Samsung sensor and we haven't heard about this problem with other phones that use the Samsung GN1 - and since Google doesn't use a custom one, but will get the finished lens module from Samsung and then just pack it on top of the pre-assembled 3-lens camera module... that would be odd.

Last edited:

chalan30

Nov 15, 2009
AUSTIN, TX
That makes sense, but you still never know with Google and their glitchy software, so a factory reset/safemode try might still be worth, well, the try.

A hardware issue like the one you describe wouldn't surprise me, as already discussed in other threads, we know because of the leaked Assembly video, that a human assembles the P6 Pro almost entirely alone by, well, hand. Which means there are lots and lots of rooms for error, it might even be just a protective film over a sensor that the human responsible forgot to remove.

->

As you can see in 01:51, there are several protective films (2 layers, one on the backside of the chassie, one on the lens module part) that need to be manually removed by hand, without a tool. Even if the human removed them correctly, he might have smudged the lenses accidentally by having a contaminated glove.

Besides that, as you mentioned, it might also be a defective module from the beginning, because the sensor itself was contaminated in the assembly process. Even though that would greatly surprise me, since it's a Samsung sensor and we haven't heard about this problem with other phones that use the Samsung GN1 - and since Google doesn't use a custom one, but will get the finished lens module from Samsung and then just pack it on top of the pre-assembled 3-lens camera module... that would be odd.
thanks for that video. I have done 4 factory resets (no safe mode though) and the problem persists. The person who pointed me to this thread said google support told them to wait for the december update and if it was still there to contact support again.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
thanks for that video. I have done 4 factory resets (no safe mode though) and the problem persists. The person who pointed me to this thread said google support told them to wait for the december update and if it was still there to contact support again.
If you are still in the return window, DO NOT wait. Demand a replacement device. Never wait when you are in the return window. AS LONG as you are in the return window, you have power and Google wants to make you happy. After that, you will live in the shadow of their grace, which can be awful.

Other than that: If you tried 4 factory resets, safe mode will most likely not help in any way. Factory reset is always "stronger" than a safemode, since it rans a completely empty device (at least if you tried the camera app without having set up your backup, which would just create your old software problem, lel).

chalan30

Nov 15, 2009
AUSTIN, TX
If you are still in the return window, DO NOT wait. Demand a replacement device. Never wait when you are in the return window. AS LONG as you are in the return window, you have power and Google wants to make you happy. After that, you will live in the shadow of their grace, which can be awful.

Other than that: If you tried 4 factory resets, safe mode will most likely not help in any way. Factory reset is always "stronger" than a safemode, since it rans a completely empty device (at least if you tried the camera app without having set up your backup, which would just create your old software problem, lel).
They just said I could send it to their repair team or take it to a place locally. Im going to send it back to them and see what happens. FML oh well

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
They just said I could send it to their repair team or take it to a place locally. Im going to send it back to them and see what happens. FML oh well
Did you buy it directly from Google?

A repaired device is usually a ****ty device. It will no longer have any decent seal and therefore your dust and water resistance is out the window. The assembly process is being done in a sterile environment, the repair process not so much. Which means that it has a lot of potential faults.

Especially this early on when Google didn't even have the chance to repair anything, it should be relatively easy to get a replacement.

chalan30

Nov 15, 2009
AUSTIN, TX
Did you buy it directly from Google?

A repaired device is usually a ****ty device. It will no longer have any decent seal and therefore your dust and water resistance is out the window. The assembly process is being done in a sterile environment, the repair process not so much. Which means that it has a lot of potential faults.

Especially this early on when Google didn't even have the chance to repair anything, it should be relatively easy to get a replacement.
Yeah you are right. And yes I bought it from the google store. I am going to get in touch with them again and let them know that I need a replacement.

I suspect this issue is more widespread than it looks.
I initially thought I didn't have it, but it have it too. Not that marked, but i have it.

To replicate the test better:
- turn screen brightness at max.
- go into a very dark room, close to pitch black.
- open camera, point it to a homogeneous textured wall.
- move the camera around and notice if there is a stain that stays in a fixed position on the camera.

If you have the stains, contact google and let them know.

Attached a photo that makes you see where mine is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211116-144911~2.png
    Screenshot_20211116-144911~2.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 297

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't have it on mine at all. I don't know if this is another trolling attempt on the Pixel or what.
    View attachment 5460775

Well, I have it on mine.
    And I'm not throwing stuff around just to make the phone look bad. It is a legitimate issue.

And you honestly don't know how much it sucks but had to contact google and they offered me a replacement for this issue and the crackling bottom speaker over 60% volume.

I love the P6 Pro and I wouldn't change it with any other phone. I will stick to it and hope google at least sorts out the replacement in a decent way, without sending me a faulty unit or a clearly used one.

Finger crossed.

EDIT:
    Also yeah, as other people mentioned, the "stains" translate to the final image too. Is like the sensor is dirty from the inside. No amount of external cleaning helps. The spot stays there, always in the same position, always the same shape.

->

Slightly different, when taking a picture in a dark room and zoom in there is blue and red dots? Is this normal?
    That's the Night Sight feature. If you disable it, there won't be blue and red pixels on the pic
    You just need to move the phone slowly over a fairly dark uniform image, the marks will then become clear because they will show up as static parts of the image. This is very similar to the dirty screen effect on OLED and LCD screens. It looks like contamination on the sensor itself, either it hasn't been washed properly or a coating hasn't covered correctly when it was manufactured. Definately a hardware issue, if effected get the phone sent back, it can't be fixed by software.

I've checked mine and no sign of a problem, thankfully.
    Hmmmm, I don't seem to have that but maybe it needs to be darker?