Question Pixel 6 Pro Camera Problem

Search This thread

chalan30

Nov 15, 2009
AUSTIN, TX
Did you buy it directly from Google?

A repaired device is usually a ****ty device. It will no longer have any decent seal and therefore your dust and water resistance is out the window. The assembly process is being done in a sterile environment, the repair process not so much. Which means that it has a lot of potential faults.

Especially this early on when Google didn't even have the chance to repair anything, it should be relatively easy to get a replacement.

I just ordered my replacement from Google. It went pretty smoothly. Fingers crossed for the new device...

prohibido_por_la_ley

Nov 21, 2011
Chicago
Don't have it on mine at all. I don't know if this is another trolling attempt on the Pixel or what.
PXL_20211117_071306245.jpg

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Don't have it on mine at all. I don't know if this is another trolling attempt on the Pixel or what.
View attachment 5460775
As in, you think dozens of people are doctoring images of their camera and pictures in an attempt to undermine the phone they just spent money on? Or did you mean something else?

I have some ghosting on my camera preview when it's dark and my brightness is up, and night mode is on. Thankfully it's not as bad as these dots, and doesn't translate to pictures I take. Good thread, if anyone sees this in their camera or pictures, definitely return and get a new one if possible. After watching that video, I hope to God they do quality control checks before the front screen is pressed on. Reading this thread, guessing probably not :/

prohibido_por_la_ley

Nov 21, 2011
Chicago
As in, you think dozens of people are doctoring images of their camera and pictures in an attempt to undermine the phone they just spent money on? Or did you mean something else?

I have some ghosting on my camera preview when it's dark and my brightness is up, and night mode is on. Thankfully it's not as bad as these dots, and doesn't translate to pictures I take. Good thread, if anyone sees this in their camera or pictures, definitely return and get a new one if possible. After watching that video, I hope to God they do quality control checks before the front screen is pressed on. Reading this thread, guessing probably not :/
If it's not translating on to the actual pictures then there's really not much of a problem. People are just harping on the Pixel as always.

View attachment 5460775

Well, I have it on mine.
And I'm not throwing stuff around just to make the phone look bad. It is a legitimate issue.

And you honestly don't know how much it sucks but had to contact google and they offered me a replacement for this issue and the crackling bottom speaker over 60% volume.

I love the P6 Pro and I wouldn't change it with any other phone. I will stick to it and hope google at least sorts out the replacement in a decent way, without sending me a faulty unit or a clearly used one.

Finger crossed.

EDIT:
Also yeah, as other people mentioned, the "stains" translate to the final image too. Is like the sensor is dirty from the inside. No amount of external cleaning helps. The spot stays there, always in the same position, always the same shape.

Reactions: chalan30 and a63548

rosso22

Nov 25, 2009
I have just checked in a dark room and also have the issue. Does it affect astro shots? May explain why my first few astro shots came out poorly, but not had any more clear nights to test it yet.

Reactions: chalan30

chalan30

Nov 15, 2009
AUSTIN, TX
I received my replacement p6pro. It also has the problem. Not quite as bad but still noticeable. In the jpg below it shows up in the darkest area of my bed cover.

Attachments

• still there.jpg
    still there.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 200

Craphead

Jul 15, 2012
Dachau
To those wondering if and how much they are affected by the issue, these pictures posted by a user on a German Android forum give a good idea of what it looks like, one is taken with the faulty device and one with the replacement unit. You can clearly see a distinct magenta tinge and weird dark spots in the lower half where there shouldn't be any.

Attachments

• PXL_20211126_143433568.jpg
    PXL_20211126_143433568.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 230
  • PXL_20211126_143432010.jpg
    PXL_20211126_143432010.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 230

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Has anyone made any headway on this? I originally posted it didn't effect my actual pictures, but doing some testing, it does. It's only present on the main camera, portrait has nothing.

I am curious if mine will effect night shots, as it's only noticable in situations where I wouldn't click the shutter anyways mostly. First pic is held right up to a pillow

PXL_20211127_111125870.NIGHT.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211127_091750875.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20211127_091750875.NIGHT~2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 134
  • PXL_20211127_091809058.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20211127_091809058.NIGHT~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 134

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Follow up: I've contacted Google and been advised that I'm eligible for a Warranty Repair at no cost, either by sending to them or through UBreakIFix. Neither is without danger, so I'm chronicling the experience on Reddit if anyone wants to follow along. I sent them this thread to reference the problem while in chat as well, so if any of you want to risk a repair, please let us know how it goes!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pixel6/comments/r3wjx8

AkiroX

Mar 5, 2012
DAAAAAMN I must've gotten the ****tiest Pixel. I have dark spots, my camera refuses to focus AND crackling speakers. NOOOOOOOOOO- I thought I was imagining things or like viewfinder oddities but now it's recently started to fail focusing. And apparently that's another issue. :C I waited 3 weeks for this darned thing after pre-order... Huff. I hope they don't give me any crap.

Paz9

Jan 3, 2011
Slightly different, when taking a picture in a dark room and zoom in there is blue and red dots? Is this normal?

Attachments

• PXL_20211212_145601250.jpg
    PXL_20211212_145601250.jpg
    881.7 KB · Views: 71

mr_sheen

Feb 8, 2009
Yup i do have this problem as well, Pixel 6 pro.

Problem now i live in Poland. Just contacted customer service and they said they cant exchange the device, but they can repair it. In Germany. I am not allowed to mail it in, with other option is only initiating the repair by myself, physically, to Germany, in the middle of COVID restrictions right now.

Yup, it is my fault for buying a device that isnt supported by Google in Poland and my fault as well for not researching the defect that this device may have. Lesson learned, stick to other brand maybe.

theoneabhi

Feb 16, 2022
Google Pixel 6
Here is a collection of example pictures that other users have posted in regard to this problem. As you can see, it's a serious issue. I'd encourage everybody who bought a Pixel 6 to check if they have the same problem and write to Google support if so. They sooner they learn there is something wrong with some lenses the sooner they can do something about it.
M facing same kinda issue with my device

Attachments

• PXL_20220217_151620441.jpg
    PXL_20220217_151620441.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220217_032717440.jpg
    PXL_20220217_032717440.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220217_032134458.jpg
    PXL_20220217_032134458.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    View attachment 5460775

Well, I have it on mine.
    And I'm not throwing stuff around just to make the phone look bad. It is a legitimate issue.

And you honestly don't know how much it sucks but had to contact google and they offered me a replacement for this issue and the crackling bottom speaker over 60% volume.

I love the P6 Pro and I wouldn't change it with any other phone. I will stick to it and hope google at least sorts out the replacement in a decent way, without sending me a faulty unit or a clearly used one.

Finger crossed.

EDIT:
    Also yeah, as other people mentioned, the "stains" translate to the final image too. Is like the sensor is dirty from the inside. No amount of external cleaning helps. The spot stays there, always in the same position, always the same shape.
    It's not on the camera lens, if it was you would see the pattern move as OIS moved the lens and most likely it would be out of focus and hardly visible if at all.

The problem is on the sensor, it's either happened in the assembly process of the phone and some solvent has ended up on the sensor then evaporated leaving a dirty mark, or the sensor was already marked when put into the camera module.

It isn't software causing that.
    That makes sense, but you still never know with Google and their glitchy software, so a factory reset/safemode try might still be worth, well, the try.

A hardware issue like the one you describe wouldn't surprise me, as already discussed in other threads, we know because of the leaked Assembly video, that a human assembles the P6 Pro almost entirely alone by, well, hand. Which means there are lots and lots of rooms for error, it might even be just a protective film over a sensor that the human responsible forgot to remove.

As reference, a copy of the video that has not yet been taken down by Google

->

As you can see in 01:51, there are several protective films (2 layers, one on the backside of the chassie, one on the lens module part) that need to be manually removed by hand, without a tool. Even if the human removed them correctly, he might have smudged the lenses accidentally by having a contaminated glove.

Besides that, as you mentioned, it might also be a defective module from the beginning, because the sensor itself was contaminated in the assembly process. Even though that would greatly surprise me, since it's a Samsung sensor and we haven't heard about this problem with other phones that use the Samsung GN1 - and since Google doesn't use a custom one, but will get the finished lens module from Samsung and then just pack it on top of the pre-assembled 3-lens camera module... that would be odd.
    Slightly different, when taking a picture in a dark room and zoom in there is blue and red dots? Is this normal?
    That's the Night Sight feature. If you disable it, there won't be blue and red pixels on the pic
    You just need to move the phone slowly over a fairly dark uniform image, the marks will then become clear because they will show up as static parts of the image. This is very similar to the dirty screen effect on OLED and LCD screens. It looks like contamination on the sensor itself, either it hasn't been washed properly or a coating hasn't covered correctly when it was manufactured. Definately a hardware issue, if effected get the phone sent back, it can't be fixed by software.

I've checked mine and no sign of a problem, thankfully.
    Hmmmm, I don't seem to have that but maybe it needs to be darker?
    I'm quite certain not every phone out there is actually affected by this. Maybe yours thankfully just is fine. But everybody should definitely check theirs. Also since I don't have one myself yet I'm not sure whether the problem only occurs when shooting in night mode or not.