How To Guide [Pixel 6 Pro] Easy STEP BY STEP Unlock-Root-Update

Search This thread

Dragon Kumera

Mar 14, 2019
For those who need the magisk image already patched for May 2022 security update.

Attachments

• magisk_patched-24312_cPVmQ_May_Security_Patch.img
    64 MB · Views: 28
Reactions: Az Biker

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Just a PSA for those on Android 13 Beta 2.1:

Starting with Canary 24314, updating to a new Magisk version via direct install results in a bootloop. This behavior has continued with the latest Beta 25/Canary 25001. Patching the boot image, however, allows the phone to boot as expected.

An issue was opened but unfortunately closed as "not planned". So for those on Android 13 Beta 2.1 (and beyond most likely), when updating Magisk you'll want to avoid the direct install method and patch and flash the boot image instead to avoid a bootloop until they decide to resolve this issue.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Just a PSA for those on Android 13 Beta 2.1:

Starting with Canary 24314, updating to a new Magisk version via direct install results in a bootloop. This behavior has continued with the latest Beta 25/Canary 25001. Patching the boot image, however, allows the phone to boot as expected.

An issue was opened but unfortunately closed as "not planned". So for those on Android 13 Beta 2.1 (and beyond most likely), when updating Magisk you'll want to avoid the direct install method and patch and flash the boot image instead to avoid a bootloop until they decide to resolve this issue.

Looks like the issue may have been fixed with these commits...

Last edited:

Dragon Kumera

Mar 14, 2019
If you're using Verizon, install the Verizon one. If you're in a EMEA/APAC area (Google Search - more details at that search hit here), install that one. If neither of those, install the other one.
So phone bought from google, bootloader unlocked. I should go verizon since my carrier is verizon? That wont interfere with bootloader?

ota updates never work for me lol. I tried uninstalling magisk rematching original image. Disabled all modules. Update installed but when installing magisk to inactive slot and rebooting it caused corrupt device. So now gt install factory image without -w

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
So phone bought from google, bootloader unlocked. I should go verizon since my carrier is verizon?
Yes.

That wont interfere with bootloader?
No. The only thing that can lock or unlock the bootloader is you, with local access to your phone via the correct fastboot command.

It's likely the IMEI of the device is what determines whether the bootloader can be unlocked or not, and updates don't affect that.

ota updates never work for me lol. I tried uninstalling magisk rematching original image. Disabled all modules. Update installed but when installing magisk to inactive slot and rebooting it caused corrupt device. So now gt install factory image without -w
I think I fooled with the OTA method once or twice after I got my Pixel 1 almost six years ago, but I like the full factory image process instead. OTA method seems so hit and miss - it seemed to depend on hitting the lottery on more variables. It may work flawlessly for months, and then something happens. The rare times I've ever had a problem with the full factory image, all that I can think of but once was my own fault, and even the one time I don't know how exactly it could've been my fault was probably my fault too. :D

Now that I think of it, for quite a while on my Pixel 1 I was using @Chainfire's FlashFire app that allowed me to flash updates and keep root/re-root without using TWRP or a computer. It was awesome.

Dragon Kumera

Mar 14, 2019
Yes.

No. The only thing that can lock or unlock the bootloader is you, with local access to your phone via the correct fastboot command.

It's likely the IMEI of the device is what determines whether the bootloader can be unlocked or not, and updates don't affect that.

I think I fooled with the OTA method once or twice after I got my Pixel 1 almost six years ago, but I like the full factory image process instead. OTA method seems so hit and miss - it seemed to depend on hitting the lottery on more variables. It may work flawlessly for months, and then something happens. The rare times I've ever had a problem with the full factory image, all that I can think of but once was my own fault, and even the one time I don't know how exactly it could've been my fault was probably my fault too. :D

Now that I think of it, for quite a while on my Pixel 1 I was using @Chainfire's FlashFire app that allowed me to flash updates and keep root/re-root without using TWRP or a computer. It was awesome.
chainfire seems familiar.

I am one of those who have a verizon pixel xl gen 1 phone still. I unlocked the bootloader before verizon patched the exploit. Its been running solid since with lineage os. Its currently in storage as a backup phone. Replaced the battery in like 2020. Wanted a p6 pro to fiddle with so got one.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
chainfire seems familiar.

I am one of those who have a verizon pixel xl gen 1 phone still. I unlocked the bootloader before verizon patched the exploit. Its been running solid since with lineage os. Its currently in storage as a backup phone. Replaced the battery in like 2020. Wanted a p6 pro to fiddle with so got one.
Yep, as @bush911 said, @Chainfire is who made SuperSU and plenty of other things that we used before Magisk. Ah, I did the same with my Verizon P1, except I didn't replace the battery, although I did treat the battery gently. I "briefly" (for me) went to the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+. Loved the hardware, and hated the software.

Well, chainfire is the one who is very well known for introducing root to Android.

Has anyone managed to updgrade to July updates without losing root?

I haven't updated yet, but @foobar66 has.
Updated and kept root/data...

Last edited:

Dragon Kumera

Mar 14, 2019
Yep, as @bush911 said, @Chainfire is who made SuperSU and plenty of other things that we used before Magisk. Ah, I did the same with my Verizon P1, except I didn't replace the battery, although I did treat the battery gently. I "briefly" (for me) went to the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+. Loved the hardware, and hated the software.

I haven't updated yet, but @foobar66 has.
Ah right. True they did.

I still have the original pixel xl 1 battery. It has 2hr sot. But It had overheating could barely use it since day one. That battery did last from 2016 to 2020. Can last longer if I wanted but I needed a new battery so kept the old one in case.

Dragon Kumera

Mar 14, 2019
Well, chainfire is the one who is very well known for introducing root to Android.

Has anyone managed to updgrade to July updates without losing root?
I did if you count flashing full factory image without -w. Here is the Magisk image I used.

Attachments

• magisk_patched-25101_ZO4xw (July 2022 patch).img
    64 MB · Views: 21

Dragon Kumera

Mar 14, 2019
I am so confused right now. Google website showed 2 verizon images for the pixel 6 pro. Both July updates.

12.1.0 (SQ3A.220705.003.A1, Jul 2022, Verizon, Verizon MVNOs)
12.1.0 (SQ3A.220705.003.A3, Jul 2022, Verizon, Verizon MVNOs)

My phone been saying there is an update but its on the July security patch.
Also just did the google play system update. But not sure what is going on atm.

edit. Seems google released a 1mb minor update.

Last edited:

mko000

Jul 27, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Huawei Nexus 6P
I am so confused right now. Google website showed 2 verizon images for the pixel 6 pro. Both July updates.

Top Liked Posts

Yeah, but I'm not interested in wiping data.
    If you want to downgrade Android versions, especially between a major version 13 to a previous version 12, then a factory reset is necessary for the phone to work correctly - and in some cases, even to boot.

TL;DR - you're worrying for nothing (your words). Update to Android 13 and enjoy it. :)
    Az Biker: I like using your simplified guide for updating/rooting. I understand there is some funkiness going on with android 13 concerning the bootloader, and inability to downgrade. This scares me due to having upgraded some phones in the past and finding out the upgrades contained gotchas and couldn't go back. Would you mind updating the guide to show how to keep the downgrade option with 13, or am I worrying for nothing? I'm taking a wait and see for now in case anyone majorly complains about 13, before taking the plunge, but the phone is nagging me.
    Az Biker: I like using your simplified guide for updating/rooting. I understand there is some funkiness going on with android 13 concerning the bootloader, and inability to downgrade. This scares me due to having upgraded some phones in the past and finding out the upgrades contained gotchas and couldn't go back. Would you mind updating the guide to show how to keep the downgrade option with 13, or am I worrying for nothing? I'm taking a wait and see for now in case anyone majorly complains about 13, before taking the plunge, but the phone is nagging me.

I've been following the android 13 upgrade postings and I'm surprised not more people know this.
    If you add --force to fastboot update "fastboot --force update image-*" you can downgrade back to Android 12 as long as you wipe data.
    I tried this as soon as I upgraded to 13 and yes you can downgrade down to Android 12 after upgrading with no noticable issues. The radio and every other image but the bootloader can be downgraded. But I only tried 003, 004 July images for oriole so I don't know about anything lower personally.
    If you want to downgrade Android versions, especially between a major version 13 to a previous version 12, then a factory reset is necessary for the phone to work correctly - and in some cases, even to boot.

TL;DR - you're worrying for nothing (your words). Update to Android 13 and enjoy it. :)

I've been following the android 13 upgrade postings and I'm surprised not more people know this.
    If you add --force to fastboot update "fastboot --force update image-*" you can downgrade back to Android 12 as long as you wipe data.
    I tried this as soon as I upgraded to 13 and yes you can downgrade down to Android 12 after upgrading with no noticable issues. The radio and every other image but the bootloader can be downgraded. But I only tried 003, 004 July images for oriole so I don't know about anything lower personally.

Ready to Unlock, Root, and Update factory images on your Pixel 6 Pro?

There are some really good guides by V0latyle here, and by roirraW "edor" ehT here which are great for veteran/regular users who are really familiar with adb/fastboot and the commands, steps used in the unlocking, rooting environment.

This step by step is for people like ME who are not adb/fastboot gurus, who need every step spelled out so we don't brick our over-priced flagship devices :D

What You Need On Your PC:

Factory Image
    MAGISK - Canary 24310
    SDK Platform Tools & USB Drivers (first time installation)

(additional files I use: optional)

Working SafetyNet @Pekempy
    Kirisakura Kernel @Freak07

*** MAKE SURE YOU EXTRACT THE CORRECT BOOT.IMG FILE TO PATCH IN MAGISK ***
    -download latest factory image, unzip the MAIN image.zip, then unzip the SECONDARY image.zip , copy the contents of the SECOND image.zip into the same platform tools folder that has the fastboot application in it, then open the image.zip you just copied into the fastboot folder and copy the boot.img and paste it somewhere on your PC.

Device Setup PRIOR To Starting Fastboot:

Settings>About phone>Build Number (click build number until you see YOU ARE NOW A DEVELOPER)
    Settings>System>Advanced>Developer Options
    Enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging & USB Configuration> enable FILE TRANSFER

Unlock the Bootloader, Update Factory Image, and Get Root:

1- Boot your device into bootloader/fastboot (hold power / vol down)

2- Connect USB cable to device and PC ( have diff USB cables available for troubleshooting)

3- From address bar in the platform tools folder where the fastboot application is located on your PC, type CMD to open command prompt window

4- Type FASTBOOT DEVICES, if you see a serial number(s) you are ready, if you don't, verify you've properly set up platform tools folder, change cable, check command, try again)

5- TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER- type fastboot reboot bootloader
    (***YOUR DATA WILL BE WIPED***)

6- Type fastboot flashing unlock

7- Type fastboot reboot bootloader

PRIOR TO FLASHING THE FACTORY IMAGE:

-if you want a clean install, WIPING ALL DATA, skip to step #8
    -if you want to SAVE data, edit the FLASH ALL.bat file, REMOVING the -w (leaving just ONE space between the remaining text) and SAVE the file (reopen file to verify -w is removed)

Disabling Verity and Verification isn't required except for use with some custom kernels, but just rooting those custom kernels with the latest Magisk Stable v24.1 or higher should make them not require disabled Verity and Verification anymore. click HERE for more

8- Flash the factory image by typing FLASH-ALL

9- After the install, it will reboot into system, let everything settle, skip start up options and get to where you can download the latest MAGISK apk on your device (downloads folder)

***DISABLE MAGISK MODULES as some have reported issues caused by some active modules***

10- Connect your device and PC and put the extracted BOOT.img file (from the CURRENT factory image you are flashing FOUND IN THE SECOND ZIP FOLDER) that you placed on your PC, put it on your mobile device where you can easily find it (I created a folder FILES TO FLASH)

11- Install Magisk (use Canary 24310 linked above), follow instructions to allow files like this to be installed) ***DISABLE MAGISK MODULES as some have reported issues caused by some active modules***

12- Open Magisk and choose SELECT AND PATCH FILE (select the BOOT.img you just put on your device

13- Copy the new PATCHED BOOT.img from your download folder back into your PLATFORM TOOLS folder where the fastboot application is located on your PC

14- Boot device into fastboot/bootloader, connect device and PC

15- Type CMD in address bar and verify fastboot connection (step 4)

16- Type fastboot reboot bootloader

17- Type fastboot flash boot --slot=all (drag and drop patched boot.img here) OR type in the file name magisk_patched-xxxxxxxxxx.img)

18- Reboot into System

UPDATE Factory Image WITHOUT Wiping Data:

1- Within the Platform Tools folder, find the FLASH-ALL (.bat) file

2- Open it with text editor and
    remove the -w (keep ONE space between remaining text, SAVE file, reopen to verify -w is removed)

3- Verify FASTBOOT DEVICES by typing CMD in the address bar of the same platform tools folder

4- Type FLASH-ALL

5- Let it boot into system and settle for a minute

6- Patch the boot image (follow steps 10, 12 -18 above)

*** Thanks to V0latyle, roirraW "edor" ehT, and Lughnasadh for the foundations of these instructions! ***

Please let me know if any part of this process is incorrect, has been updated, or is no longer necessary (y) (y) (y)
    If anyone finds errors, missing or confusing information while following the steps in the OP, please post it and tag me so I can fix it immediately.

A few things I'm seeing in other threads is users still using disable verity, and not verifying their edit of the falsh-all.bat file, then accidentally wiping their device.

My OP is supposed to be super easy for anyone without much knowledge using fastboot, so if anyone has suggestions, please post them.

Thanks!
    Right, I wanted to wipe. It's a brand new phone that was on .036, and not yet activated. I'm wondering if I did wipe, with the --disable-verity --disable-verification into the .bat file, am I good to go ahead and install Magisk, and from now on, not wipe on future updates, or do I have to do this extra step after (fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta.img)?
    Oh, you wanted to wipe, lol. My misunderstanding. Yeah, what @Az Biker said.
    It appears that everything is fine. I have Magisk installed after patching image. I'm not getting any modules to pop up in the search though, so I guess I'll head to Magisk thread to see what's up there.
    The Magisk Repo has been removed from the Magisk app. You can use this instead...

You shouldn't need to flash to both slots. So you can just do fastboot flash boot <nameofpatchedbootimage.img>.

You should be able to rename the patched boot image (although I have never done it). I usually just put it in a labeled folder and copy and paste the name into the command prompt.

You should be patching the boot.img that you extracted from the factory image. It's located in the image-raven-sd1a.210817..037 zip file within the factory image (assuming you are on build .037).

If you are still having problems, then 2 things to check:
    1. Make sure your Platform Tools are up-to-date. Latest I believe is 31.0.3
    2. Make sure you have the correct (and latest) USB drivers installed on your computer... https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb

EDIT: Oh, one very important thing. Make sure you are using the latest Canary version of Magisk.
    Root has been achieved, thank you for your time & assistance, it's much appreciated. ✌️
    Maybe it makes more sense to combine and improve upon existing tutorials, instead of creating a load of new ones. It's getting a bit confusing here, ESPECIALLY since we don't have any sub-threads/forums.

Why is that, anyway? it makes sifting through threads here a nightmare, since you have to scroll through dozens of threads to find one that suits your interest. Instead of just giving us, like, an overview labeled "mods", "kernels", "camera", "discussion", "flame" - like, in every other previous XDA Pixel forum?!