• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide [Pixel 6 Pro] Easy STEP BY STEP Unlock-Root

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
Hi Az Biker. I was following your guide to the letter. Everything worked as you said until I got to the fastboot update --disable-verity --disable-verification image-raven-sd1a.210817.037.zip. I got :
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: slider-1.0-7714574
Baseband Version.....: g5123b-91479-210916-B-7738070
Serial Number........:
extracting android-info.txt (0 MB) to RAM...
Checking 'product' OKAY [ 0.001s]
Checking 'version-bootloader' FAILED

Device version-bootloader is 'slider-1.0-7714574'.
Update requires 'slider-1.0-7860951'.

fastboot: error: requirements not met!

So what do I do now?

First, and please don't take this badly, it is discouraged to post the same question in multiple threads or multiple times unless absolutely necessary (like no answer for days), and certainly not within 15 minutes of each other.

@vlubosh answered you in the other thread here, and I agree with his answer. Basically, since you're starting from scratch anyway, you can just use the full firmware flash (albeit modified to disable verity and verification as well) instead of using the OTA update. This won't guarantee you won't have the same problem updating the same way you tried when the next OTA comes out next week, but this will get you going for now. See his specific answer in the other thread I linked to.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Hi Az Biker. I was following your guide to the letter. Everything worked as you said until I got to the fastboot update --disable-verity --disable-verification image-raven-sd1a.210817.037.zip. I got :
Bootloader Version...: slider-1.0-7714574
Baseband Version.....: g5123b-91479-210916-B-7738070
Serial Number........:
extracting android-info.txt (0 MB) to RAM...
Checking 'product' OKAY [ 0.001s]
Checking 'version-bootloader' FAILED

Device version-bootloader is 'slider-1.0-7714574'.
Update requires 'slider-1.0-7860951'.

fastboot: error: requirements not met!

So what do I do now?
A few things you can try in addition to what @Az Biker said:

1. Try flashing the bootloader manually fastboot flash bootloader <nameofbootloader.img>

If that works then immediately reboot into the new bootloader and run the fastboot update command again

2. After you get that error (you should still be in fastboot), immediately run the fastboot update command again. Have seen this work for 1 person in the past.

3. Try different cables

4. Make sure Platform Tools are up-to-date

5. Try the flash-all method

EDIT: 6. Use Android Flash Tool as @roirraW "edor" ehT said 🙃 or you can always just update via OTA and then disable verity and verification afterwards so you won't have to wipe again when new update comes out on Dec. 6.

Last edited:

GivIn2It

Jul 12, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
OK Az Biker, heres how I got it sorted. The Android Flash Tool won't, as of now, pick up .037 from a search. It will open .037 from one of the links on the firmware page. I did that, but it kept failing network wise, so I went to the flash-all.bat and looked at it. I couldnt figure out what ultimoose did, especially since there is a line in that file that contains "fastboot -w" and I could not find that on the internet or in the fastboot help file. So I decided to make my own batch file to fix the particular problem I had, a bootloader mismatch. Here are its contents:

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-raven-slider-1.0-7860951.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot flash radio radio-raven-g5123b-92009-211008-b-7805583.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader

At this point I was ready to continue with your guide at step 7. I took a while, it went to fastbootd screen but wasnt done copying files. Waited until the files finished copying, did a factory reset (had to but meant nothing since the phone's brand new) booted into system. Being paranoid that the verification verity hadn't taken due to a reference in the raven file copy about vbmeta not being present or some such (I forgot the specifics) I ran fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta.img again just to be sure. Then I was able to complete your guide without a hitch. I think this bootloader mismatch problem might be .037 specific.
Finished setting up the device, re booted, still rooted, success. Updates Disabled.

I damn well won't be updating until a foolproof way to do so without losing root surfaces.

What would be helpful info: what does "fastboot -w" mean?
Is there a way to check if the "verification verity" thingy stuck, is active, etc...

Thanks for your help, Az Biker

I find this forum quite hard to navigate. When I do "search this thread" the software returns all kinds of crazy results unreleated to the current thread. Bring back the old XDA!

Dragon Kumera

Mar 14, 2019
So I am bit confused. Last time I did this was pixel xl gen 1 verizon model before the lockout.

I just got pixel 6 pro but waiting till christmas to open it. So I was gonna try and get all the files ready first.

I downloaded the ota images that are in zip file and dont see a flash all like I did with pixel xl gen 1 ota images.

Also this whole --disable-verity --disable-verification really confuses me.

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / Mod & RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member
-w in the FLASH ALL script is the command to WIPE data.

After replacing the -w with the disable verity command, SAVE the file, reopen the file and verify the replaced command stuck.

I'm not sure how to tell if it worked other than being able to keep root after rebooting :D

So I am bit confused. Last time I did this was pixel xl gen 1 verizon model before the lockout.

I just got pixel 6 pro but waiting till christmas to open it. So I was gonna try and get all the files ready first.

I downloaded the ota images that are in zip file and dont see a flash all like I did with pixel xl gen 1 ota images.

Also this whole --disable-verity --disable-verification really confuses me.
I never use OTAs for updating. I always use the factory image.

With the factory image zip, you unzip that initial folder, then a secondary zip folder is created from unzipping the initial zip.

Open the SECOND unzipped folder and there is the FLASH ALL script. Within the FLASH ALL script there is this line

127.0.0.1 >nul fastboot -w update image-raven-sd1a.210817.036.zip

remove the -w and replace it with --disable-verity --disable-verification then SAVE the file, reopen it to ensure the edit is saved (otherwise you erase everything), make sure you leave only ONE space between the existing text and the text you inserted.

Last edited:
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Dragon Kumera

Mar 14, 2019
-w in the FLASH ALL script is the command to WIPE data.

After replacing the -w with the disable verity command, SAVE the file, reopen the file and verify the replaced command stuck.

I'm not sure how to tell if it worked other than being able to keep root after rebooting :D

I never use OTAs for updating. I always use the factory image.

With the factory image zip, you unzip that initial folder, then a secondary zip folder is created from unzipping the initial zip.

Open the SECOND unzipped folder and there is the FLASH ALL script. Within the FLASH ALL script there is this line

127.0.0.1 >nul fastboot -w update image-raven-sd1a.210817.036.zip

remove the -w and replace it with --disable-verity --disable-verification then SAVE the file, reopen it to ensure the edit is saved (otherwise you erase everything), make sure you leave only ONE space between the existing text and the text you inserted.

Ok I apparently downloaded the wrong images from the factory image link lol. So just redownloaded and got a flash all bat file so changed bat to txt and edited it that way then changed back to bat.

So once I unlock the bootloader and flash with this it will all be set and unlocked/root? I will just have to install magisk?

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / Mod & RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member
Ok I apparently downloaded the wrong images from the factory image link lol. So just redownloaded and got a flash all bat file so changed bat to txt and edited it that way then changed back to bat.

So once I unlock the bootloader and flash with this it will all be set and unlocked/root? I will just have to install magisk?
I don't change the flash all .bat file to a text file (not sure if that borks anything or not), I just right click and EDIT the flash all.bat file and save it.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

kash_si

Oct 19, 2014
Ready to Unlock, Root, and Update factory images on your Pixel 6 Pro?

There are some really good guides by V0latyle here & here, and by roirraW "edor" ehT here which are great for veteran/regular users who are really familiar with adb/fastboot and the commands, steps used in the unlocking, rooting environment.

This step by step is for people like ME who are not adb/fastboot gurus, who need every step spelled out so we don't brick our over-priced flagship devices :D

Great guide with step by step instructions. Much appreciated.

Just rooted my TMO P6P.

Thanks (y)(y)(y):cool::cool:

almahix

Thanks AZ_Biker. This is an excellent resource and much appreciated. I am in between power user and fastboot expert, mostly just not overly intrepid. I unlocked the bootloader right after unpacking the box, but haven't rooted yet as I don't look forward to having to reload all the data I will lose. As an aside, I remember you from a previous forum, perhaps OnePlus 7 Pro? Nice to see you again.

Last edited:

minhgi

Jul 26, 2008
Houston
So if follow this step to unverified my boot, this willwipe my data? First time attempting root for P6P and OEM Bootloader alreadied unlocked and coming from P2XL.

***WARNING: the following step erases your data, ALL OF IT, this is REQUIRED the first time you update and root. See UPDATE Factory Image WITHOUT Wiping Data: near bottom of OP to update after root, without wiping your data ***

8- Flash the factory image by typing fastboot update --disable-verity --disable-verification (drag the image.zip file here OR type in the file name (image-raven-xxxxxxxxx.zip) hit enter

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
So if follow this step to unverified my boot, this willwipe my data? First time attempting root for P6P and OEM Bootloader alreadied unlocked and coming from P2XL.

***WARNING: the following step erases your data, ALL OF IT, this is REQUIRED the first time you update and root. See UPDATE Factory Image WITHOUT Wiping Data: near bottom of OP to update after root, without wiping your data ***

8- Flash the factory image by typing fastboot update --disable-verity --disable-verification (drag the image.zip file here OR type in the file name (image-raven-xxxxxxxxx.zip) hit enter
Yes, just as it says. After that you can update without wiping your data.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
darn....i have all my apps setup already. Hard decision to make...
You can wait a bit and follow the development in the thread I'm linking. He's working on a Magisk version that will enable you to flash Magisk-patched boot images and still boot without having to disable verity and verification. Actually, he's trying to get it incorporated into the official Magisk but until then is making his own version. He's tested it on another device (Pixel 5a) but is waiting until the December update comes out to test it on this device.

And he is also working on his own tools as well (see OP in the thread).

Last edited:

minhgi

Jul 26, 2008
Houston
You can wait a bit and follow the development in the thread I'm linking. He's working on a Magisk version that will enable you to flash Magisk-patched boot images and still boot without having to disable verity and verification. Actually, he's trying to get it incorporated into the official Magisk but until then is making his own version. He's tested it on another device (Pixel 5a) but is waiting until the December update comes out to test it on this device.

And he is also working on his own tools to do the same as well (see OP in the thread).

this looks promising. thanks. I spend half a day setting up my phone. It's not fun when you have alot of MFA apps set up on the phone already.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

slingblade01

Nov 18, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I just received my P6P. It's still in the box waiting to be rooted.
I know an important update is due out any day now.
I also see Magisk will be tested and significantly improved after the update release.

Should I wait a few days or is the update expected near the end of the month?

Top Liked Posts

So I have not rooted since my old Nexus 6P but with losing the fabricated overlays with January update I finally pulled the trigger. Unreal how the process has changed since then.
    Never have I used magisk or done any of this before. Back in the day it was , unlock, flash twrp, flash SuperSU and bobs your uncle. I think I'm good to go now. And next I gotta see what kind of tinkering I can do. I may have to revive some of my old subs themes or something else.
    View attachment 5510199View attachment 5510201

Yep, the days of unlock bootloader, flash, flash, flash in three minutes are over (hopefully not forever, but seemingly).

I'm lazy, only flashing every other update, so I'm prolly waiting for the P6P February update :D
    estoy en rom el 36 de noviembre

yo era root, asi que vea la imagen de arranque de noviembre para perder la raiz
    Actualicé a enero por ota adb, falló 7 en 47%
    Al reiniciar, perdí las opciones de desarrollador y tocando 7 veces en la compilación no abre las opciones de desarrollador.
    como puedo recuperarlos

Edito, por ota en android tampoco se actualiza

No sé cómo, pero he logrado actualizar siguiendo esto
    actualice el zip completo y actualice el gestor de arranque antes de actualizar todo
    [GUÍA] Rootear Pixel 6 "oriole" con Magisk

Please post in English. If a second language is required, post it below the English comment as I have done here. Thank you. Google Translate

Por favor publique en inglés. Si se requiere un segundo idioma, publíquelo debajo del comentario en inglés como lo he hecho aquí. Gracias.
    i currently have 036 firmware on my 6 pro, ie pre dec update. i would like to unlock and root without updating to dec update for the time being. will the latest canary version root this previous firmware ok as well without the need to disable verity\verification?
    Yes and yes. Just be advised your data will be wiped when unlocking the bootloader, in case you weren't aware.

EDIT: There was a change to Magisk 23016 that allowed it to be rooted on the December update (Load fstab from system/etc). I'm actually not sure if the changes would affect rooting on the November update. However, this particular change only affected the rooting process. There is still no need to disable verity/verification.

It dropped yesterday 🙂
    :oops::oops::oops: I need to find a new source! Thanks!
    :oops::oops::oops: I need to find a new source! Thanks!
    I use Aignes Website Watcher on the computer asking with the Website Watcher app that syncs with it through DropBox, to let me know when certain webpages have new material. 😁

Only using the free versions of stuff for now but that program has been around roughly 20 years or maybe longer. Not cheap for the paid version, but might have to spring for it someday. It might get lifetime updates, at least, and the updates aren't arbitrary.
    So I have not rooted since my old Nexus 6P but with losing the fabricated overlays with January update I finally pulled the trigger. Unreal how the process has changed since then. Never have I used magisk or done any of this before. Back in the day it was , unlock, flash twrp, flash SuperSU and bobs your uncle. I think I'm good to go now. And next I gotta see what kind of tinkering I can do. I may have to revive some of my old subs themes or something else.
    Screenshot_20220116-122815.png
    Screenshot_20220116-123922.png
    estoy en rom el 36 de noviembre

yo era root, asi que vea la imagen de arranque de noviembre para perder la raiz
    Actualicé a enero por ota adb, falló 7 en 47%
    Al reiniciar, perdí las opciones de desarrollador y tocando 7 veces en la compilación no abre las opciones de desarrollador.
    como puedo recuperarlos

Edito, por ota en android tampoco se actualiza

No sé cómo, pero he logrado actualizar siguiendo esto
    actualice el zip completo y actualice el gestor de arranque antes de actualizar todo
    [GUÍA] Rootear Pixel 6 "oriole" con Magisk

Please post in English. If a second language is required, post it below the English comment as I have done here. Thank you. Google Translate

Por favor publique en inglés. Si se requiere un segundo idioma, publíquelo debajo del comentario en inglés como lo he hecho aquí. Gracias.

There are some really good guides by V0latyle here & here, and by roirraW "edor" ehT here which are great for veteran/regular users who are really familiar with adb/fastboot and the commands, steps used in the unlocking, rooting environment.

This step by step is for people like ME who are not adb/fastboot gurus, who need every step spelled out so we don't brick our over-priced flagship devices :D

* * * UPDATED PROCESS THANKS TO MAGISK 23016 (Dec 2021) CANARY * * *

What You Need On Your PC:

Factory Image
    MAGISK - Canary 23016 or newer
    SDK Platform Tools & USB Drivers (first time installation)

-download latest factory image, unzip the MAIN image.zip, then unzip the SECONDARY image.zip , copy the contents of the SECOND image.zip into the same platform tools folder that has the fastboot application in it, then open the image.zip you just copied into the fastboot folder and copy the boot.img and paste it somewhere on your PC.

Device Setup PRIOR To Starting Fastboot:

Settings>About phone>Build Number (click build number until you see YOU ARE NOW A DEVELOPER)
    Settings>System>Advanced>Developer Options
    Enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging & USB Configuration> enable FILE TRANSFER

Unlock the Bootloader, Update Factory Image, and Get Root:

1- Boot your device into bootloader/fastboot (hold power / vol down)

2- Connect USB cable to device and PC ( have diff USB cables available for troubleshooting)

3- From address bar in the platform tools folder where the fastboot application is located on your PC, type CMD to open command prompt window

4- Type FASTBOOT DEVICES, if you see a serial number(s) you are ready, if you don't, verify you've properly set up platform tools folder, change cable, check command, try again)

5- TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER- type fastboot reboot bootloader
    (***YOUR DATA WILL BE WIPED***)

6- Type fastboot flashing unlock

7- Type fastboot reboot bootloader

PRIOR TO FLASHING THE FACTORY IMAGE:

-if you want a clean install, WIPING ALL DATA, skip to step #8
    -if you want to SAVE data, edit the FLASH ALL.bat file, REMOVING the -w (leaving just ONE space between the remaining text) and SAVE the file (reopen file to verify -w is removed)

8- Flash the factory image by typing FLASH-ALL

9- After the install, it will reboot into system, let everything settle, skip start up options and get to where you can download the MAGISK apk
    (Canary 23016 or newer) on your device (downloads folder)

10- Connect your device and PC and put the extracted BOOT.img file (from the CURRENT factory image you are flashing) that you placed on your PC, put it on your device where you can easily find it (I created a folder FILES TO FLASH)

PRIOR TO INSTALLING MAGISK - READ THIS FROM @V0latyle

If someone is using Canary but hidden, the best process would be to update from within Magisk. Not sure if it should be unhidden prior to update. The issue is with manually installing the new APK - it won't install as an update, but a new app if the original is hidden.

Anyone using the alpha developed specifically for the Pixel 6 will need to remove it before installing the new canary.

Additionally, 23016 incorporates a fstab fix for the Pixel 6 / Pro December '21 update. Due to this fix, Pixel 6 / Pro users MUST use 23016 or newer for root.

11- Install Magisk, follow instructions to allow files like this to be installed)

12- Open Magisk and choose SELECT AND PATCH FILE (select the BOOT.img you just put on your device

13- Copy the new PATCHED BOOT.img from your download folder back into your PLATFORM TOOLS folder where the fastboot application is located on your PC

14- Boot device into fastboot/bootloader, connect device and PC

15- Type CMD in address bar and verify fastboot connection (step 4)

16- Type fastboot reboot bootloader

17- Type fastboot flash boot --slot=all (drag and drop patched boot.img here) OR type in the file name magisk_patched-xxxxxxxxxx.img)

18- Reboot into System

UPDATE Factory Image WITHOUT Wiping Data:

1- Within the Platform Tools folder, find the FLASH-ALL (.bat) file

2- Open it with text editor and
    remove the -w (keep ONE space between remaining text, SAVE file, reopen to verify -w is removed)

3- Verify FASTBOOT DEVICES by typing CMD in the address bar of the same platform tools folder

4- Type FLASH-ALL

5- Let it boot into system and settle for a minute

6- Patch the boot image (follow steps 10, 12 -18 above)

*** Thanks to V0latyle, roirraW "edor" ehT, and Lughnasadh for the basis for these instructions! ***

Please let me know if any part of this process is incorrect, has been updated, or is no longer necessary (y) (y) (y)
    Right, I wanted to wipe. It's a brand new phone that was on .036, and not yet activated. I'm wondering if I did wipe, with the --disable-verity --disable-verification into the .bat file, am I good to go ahead and install Magisk, and from now on, not wipe on future updates, or do I have to do this extra step after (fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta.img)?
    Oh, you wanted to wipe, lol. My misunderstanding. Yeah, what @Az Biker said.
    It appears that everything is fine. I have Magisk installed after patching image. I'm not getting any modules to pop up in the search though, so I guess I'll head to Magisk thread to see what's up there.
    The Magisk Repo has been removed from the Magisk app. You can use this instead...

@Az Biker
    could you please make the guide for update factory image with out wiping. and keep root. please please please.
    Instruction to update factory image WITHOUT wiping data are near the bottom of the OP:

You should add the commands to also update bootloader and radio upon initial unlock & root.
    Else someone might ending updating to latest firmware without updating radio & bootloader ;-)

You should also mention that the initial unlock & root with disable-veritfy will wipe the phone :)
    When you flash the factory image in STEP 8, it includes the bootloader, and radio.

Unzip the second image folder to see what is flashed when you type flash-all.

bootloader-raven-slider-1.0-7753224
    flash-all
    flash-all.sh
    flash-base.sh
    radio-raven-g5123b-92009-211008-b-7805583
    image-raven-sd1a.210817.036

I just received my 6 Pro. Looks like I'm already up to date out of the box. If I want to root, after I unlock bootloader (already done), I just have to install Magisk, grab Boot.img, from update file from Google, and patch it like normal?

Thanks in advance.
    You still have to disable verity prior to installing Magisk.

From OP:

1- Within the Platform Tools folder, find the FLASH-ALL (.bat) file

2- Open it with text editor and
    replace -w with --disable-verity --disable-verification in file (keep ONE space between commands)

3- Verify FASTBOOT DEVICES by typing CMD in the address bar of the same platform tools folder

4- Type FLASH-ALL

5- Let it boot into system and settle for a minute

6- Patch the boot image (follow steps 10, 12 -18 above)

OR you can follow these steps (below) skipping the factory image altogether:

Verified Boot is disabled by flashing /vbmeta with disable flags:
    Code:
    fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta.img
    You shouldn't need to flash to both slots. So you can just do fastboot flash boot <nameofpatchedbootimage.img>.

You should be able to rename the patched boot image (although I have never done it). I usually just put it in a labeled folder and copy and paste the name into the command prompt.

You should be patching the boot.img that you extracted from the factory image. It's located in the image-raven-sd1a.210817..037 zip file within the factory image (assuming you are on build .037).

If you are still having problems, then 2 things to check:
    1. Make sure your Platform Tools are up-to-date. Latest I believe is 31.0.3
    2. Make sure you have the correct (and latest) USB drivers installed on your computer... https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb

EDIT: Oh, one very important thing. Make sure you are using the latest Canary version of Magisk.
    Root has been achieved, thank you for your time & assistance, it's much appreciated. ✌️
    Maybe it makes more sense to combine and improve upon existing tutorials, instead of creating a load of new ones. It's getting a bit confusing here, ESPECIALLY since we don't have any sub-threads/forums.

Why is that, anyway? it makes sifting through threads here a nightmare, since you have to scroll through dozens of threads to find one that suits your interest. Instead of just giving us, like, an overview labeled "mods", "kernels", "camera", "discussion", "flame" - like, in every other previous XDA Pixel forum?!