Question Pixel 6 Pro - Edit Build Prop - Without Unlock and Root?

Search This thread

viper8u2

Mar 8, 2008
Hello, I will have Pixel 6 Pro today or tomorrow. As a grandfather unlimited data user on verizon I am wondering if editing the build prop and adding the line "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true" would still work as a hotspot work around? And if so, is there a way to edit build prop file without unlock and root? Do I have to wait until TWRP recovery is released for the Pixel 6 and Pull/Push the file through ADB? Thank you in advance for any help/info!
did you ever figure this out? I am searching myself. I had did this to my Pixel 3XL using the Magisk build.prop edits with terminal emulator but looks like things are different now for it?

Edit, got it working with help from another and this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/not-able-to-tether-via-hotspot.4357187/

This is what I did for reference

for reference, this is what I did

Root your phone with magisk.
Install the Magiskhide Props Config module
Use some app that let's you have access to terminal

Type "su" for superuser rights, then type "props" to access configuring the module.
Enter 5, Add/edit custom props
Enter n, New custom prop
Enter net.tethering.noprovisioning
Enter true
Enter 2, post-fs-data
Enter y
Enter y to reboot

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: cmorin543

m1ng15

Oct 29, 2014
did you ever figure this out? I am searching myself. I had did this to my Pixel 3XL using the Magisk build.prop edits with terminal emulator but looks like things are different now for it? I saved instructions from a long time ago below

Editing build.prop with Magisk for tether

Prerequisites:
Unlocked Bootloader and Root with Magisk

Magisk Module MagiskHide Props Config (available directly through Magisk)
Terminal editor of your choice installed on your device

Step one: Make sure you're up to date on the Prerequisites above.
Step two: Open terminal editor and grant SU access by typing
Code:
su
Step three: Open up the props config by typing
Code:
props
Step four: Select custom props by typing
Code:
, Select new custom prop by typing
Code:
n
Step five: type
Code:
net.tethering.noprovisioning
it will ask what you want to set it to, type
Code:
true
make sure this is all lower case it will then ask you to confirm with y and ask if you want to reboot, select y again
Step six: Open the terminal again and grant SU access
Step seven: type
Code:
settings put global tether_dun_required 0
and exit the terminal
Step eight: reboot
Step nine: test the hotspot and crack a beverage of your choice to celebrate
No I gave up for now.. unfortunately I am on a carrier locked Verizon P6P.. I didn't want to hassle with trying to return it and order from Google. For now I will just pay the $24 a month when I need hotspot until hopefully something changes in the development of unlocking and rooting carrier locked phones.. if nothing changes I guess im stuck until my next phone. 😑

viper8u2

Mar 8, 2008
No I gave up for now.. unfortunately I am on a carrier locked Verizon P6P.. I didn't want to hassle with trying to return it and order from Google. For now I will just pay the $24 a month when I need hotspot until hopefully something changes in the development of unlocking and rooting carrier locked phones.. if nothing changes I guess im stuck until my next phone. 😑
that sucks, thanks for the reply. I will never buy a phone from verizon again because they lock the bootloaders. have been buying unlocked for years now

m1ng15

Oct 29, 2014
that sucks, thanks for the reply. I will never buy a phone from verizon again because they lock the bootloaders. have been buying unlocked for years now
My last phone I bought unlocked from best buy.. and then this one I totally forgot about it to be honest.. I know going forward I won't forget anymore

cmorin543

Jul 2, 2010
did you ever figure this out? I am searching myself. I had did this to my Pixel 3XL using the Magisk build.prop edits with terminal emulator but looks like things are different now for it?

Edit, got it working with help from another and this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/not-able-to-tether-via-hotspot.4357187/

This is what I did for reference

for reference, this is what I did

Root your phone with magisk.
Install the Magiskhide Props Config module
Use some app that let's you have access to terminal

Type "su" for superuser rights, then type "props" to access configuring the module.
Enter 5, Add/edit custom props
Enter n, New custom prop
Enter net.tethering.noprovisioning
Enter true
Enter 2, post-fs-data
Enter y
Enter y to reboot
This worked flawlessly on my rooted P6P. Thank you!!!

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

diesteldorf

Nov 22, 2010
If you only need the hotspot feature on certain days, you should be able to add/remove that feature for those specific days and it will prorate the $24 charge.

I have a Verizon gUDP plan, but also have an unlimited Sprint plan and cannot get the hotspot feature to work no matter what I try or edit. Regardless, good luck

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nope ... even WITH root, you won't be able to edit the file as the filesystems are not write mountable nowadays.

With root, you can either overwrite the property or use Magisk's resetprop in a script to do that at boot time.
    What? When did this happen and how?
    A long time ago. I want to say scoped storage but maybe even before that.
    This worked flawlessly on my rooted P6P. Thank you!!!
    Good to hear, @sensui123 is who got me pointed in the right direction, thanks again
    Thank you. I should have qouted more I guess.
    Answer this one please: Is the following statements made above true?

"Nope ... even WITH root, you won't be able to edit the file as the filesystems are not write mountable nowadays."
    No sweat, you're welcome. That, I don't know and I'm not in a position to test right at the moment. Sorry for the confusion. :)
    Nope ... even WITH root, you won't be able to edit the file as the filesystems are not write mountable nowadays.

With root, you can either overwrite the property or use Magisk's resetprop in a script to do that at boot time.
    Thanks.. I haven't been up to date on these things.. I did edit the file on my last phone.. but it was unlocked and rooted.. I made the mistake of buying p6p from Verizon which seems like it's going to be a big hassle to get it unlocked? 😑 Guess I'm probably stuck paying the $30/month if I want hotspot on gUDP for a couple years 😭