Question Pixel 6 Pro - Edit Build Prop - Without Unlock and Root?

Search This thread

m1ng15

Oct 29, 2014
Hello, I will have Pixel 6 Pro today or tomorrow. As a grandfather unlimited data user on verizon I am wondering if editing the build prop and adding the line "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true" would still work as a hotspot work around? And if so, is there a way to edit build prop file without unlock and root? Do I have to wait until TWRP recovery is released for the Pixel 6 and Pull/Push the file through ADB? Thank you in advance for any help/info!

m1ng15

Oct 29, 2014
Nope ... even WITH root, you won't be able to edit the file as the filesystems are not write mountable nowadays.

With root, you can either overwrite the property or use Magisk's resetprop in a script to do that at boot time.
Thanks.. I haven't been up to date on these things.. I did edit the file on my last phone.. but it was unlocked and rooted.. I made the mistake of buying p6p from Verizon which seems like it's going to be a big hassle to get it unlocked? 😑 Guess I'm probably stuck paying the $30/month if I want hotspot on gUDP for a couple years 😭

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
That can't be true, I'm on Android 10 and can mount my system partition r/w just fine.
What I said in my post is definitely true, and I remember it when I was on KitKat and Lollipop devices. What is Scoped Storage in Android?

"With Android 4.4 KitKat, Google started making changes to and adding restrictions on how an app could access files it did not own, and with Android 5.1, the Storage Access Framework was implemented."

Also more up to date information on it here: Scoped Storage

m1ng15

Oct 29, 2014
Yeah I'm not super familiar with the technicalities, but I was able to do it with Razer Phone 2 on Android 9.. but that was an unlocked device with root.. idk what has changed since then but if any one figures it out for a verizon locked P6P please let me know! lol

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
You want to tell me you have root and can't mount your system partition r/w?
I'm not talking about root. I was replying to your first question below.

What? When did this happen and how?

Yeah, somewhere around the time of 4.4 KitKat or so. Or started there with external MicroSD cards and then they proceeded to do internal storage that way later, maybe as soon as 5.0 Lollipop.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Thank you. I should have qouted more I guess.
Answer this one please: Is the following statements made above true?

"Nope ... even WITH root, you won't be able to edit the file as the filesystems are not write mountable nowadays."
No sweat, you're welcome. That, I don't know and I'm not in a position to test right at the moment. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Reactions: mko000 and galaxys

psone

Nov 8, 2007
Fresno, CA
I'm in this exact situation. But I got my p6p from Google directly. My OnePlus 7 Pro isn't rooted but it didn't verify my hotspot subscription at all. I thought getting the non carrier version would avoid this problem. Now with no build.prop what to do...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nope ... even WITH root, you won't be able to edit the file as the filesystems are not write mountable nowadays.

With root, you can either overwrite the property or use Magisk's resetprop in a script to do that at boot time.
    What? When did this happen and how?
    A long time ago. I want to say scoped storage but maybe even before that.
    This worked flawlessly on my rooted P6P. Thank you!!!
    Good to hear, @sensui123 is who got me pointed in the right direction, thanks again
    Hello, I will have Pixel 6 Pro today or tomorrow. As a grandfather unlimited data user on verizon I am wondering if editing the build prop and adding the line "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true" would still work as a hotspot work around? And if so, is there a way to edit build prop file without unlock and root? Do I have to wait until TWRP recovery is released for the Pixel 6 and Pull/Push the file through ADB? Thank you in advance for any help/info!
    did you ever figure this out? I am searching myself. I had did this to my Pixel 3XL using the Magisk build.prop edits with terminal emulator but looks like things are different now for it?

Edit, got it working with help from another and this thread https://xdaforums.com/t/not-able-to-tether-via-hotspot.4357187/

This is what I did for reference

for reference, this is what I did

Root your phone with magisk.
    Install the Magiskhide Props Config module
    Use some app that let's you have access to terminal

Type "su" for superuser rights, then type "props" to access configuring the module.
    Enter 5, Add/edit custom props
    Enter n, New custom prop
    Enter net.tethering.noprovisioning
    Enter true
    Enter 2, post-fs-data
    Enter y
    Enter y to reboot
    Thank you. I should have qouted more I guess.
    Answer this one please: Is the following statements made above true?

"Nope ... even WITH root, you won't be able to edit the file as the filesystems are not write mountable nowadays."
    No sweat, you're welcome. That, I don't know and I'm not in a position to test right at the moment. Sorry for the confusion. :)