Question Pixel 6 Pro isnt shown in Windows Explorer

Search This thread

Mar 21, 2014
I apologize for the mass text, but this was the only resource I could find when I had this issue and I wasted a lot of time running in circles before understanding what was actually causing the problem. In the off chance that it may help someone else, I would like to share my journey and credit Azerox's solution.

My Pixel 6 was invisible to Windows Explorer in all USB modes, but it would show up as "Acer Composite ADB Interface" in Device Manager and as "Unspecified Device" in Devices and Printers. When I enabled USB Debugging and switched to PTP mode, I could see the Camera folder in Windows Explorer. It remained invisible in all other modes.

I installed the aforementioned Google USB Driver, and uninstalled the "Acer Composite ADB Interface" from Device Manager (right click > Uninstall) erroneously thinking that the Google driver would appear on restart by default (spoiler: they're different drivers). Every time I restarted or plugged my phone back in, I saw Windows re-assert the Acer driver. To add to my confusion, when I updated the driver from Device Manager (right click > Update Driver), Windows prompted me with a "The best drivers for your device are already installed" message.

It wasn't until I stumbled across this Stack Overflow thread that I realized I had to abandon the automatic "search for updates" and manually roll back the driver. So for the sake of SEO and future frustrated pixel-users, update your USB driver from Device Manager by selecting "Browse my computer for drivers," and then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer." You will not be looking for the Google USB Driver--that's for ADB purposes/troubleshooting. USB - MTP or any Android Composite ADB Interface option will allow Windows to recognize the Pixel 6 as a storage device (assuming, again, that file-transfer is enabled on the phone).

Thanks Azerox and community at large for helping me out.

Right click the ADB-device in device manager (somehow it says ACER @ mine), choose properties > manual driver update and choose the standard usb-mtp driver. After that you will see your pixel and its contents (when u choose file transfer).

Saloon-Baloon

Apr 7, 2016
Right click the ADB-device in device manager (somehow it says ACER @ mine), choose properties > manual driver update and choose the standard usb-mtp driver. After that you will see your pixel and its contents (when u choose file transfer).

View attachment 5530459
Tried, didn't work.

What solved the problem for me: uninstallation of the device and its driver completely from the system, using the device manager. After that the device magically appears in Explorer as an mtp usb device. No driver installation or re-installation necessary.

Hope this helps.

Hillrider83

Dec 31, 2014
Hi, I faced the same issue. Tried a variety of solutions including different cables. At last found the issue to be specific to the type of USB port. Noticed the same issue despite all other steps , got resolved when connected to USB 2.0 port instead of USB 3.0.

alvaroag

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 2, 2010
Lima
I just received my Pixel 6 Pro this week, and came up with this same issue while transfering my WhatsApp history. After trying different solutions (port, cable, debugging, etc), the one that worked for me was this one: uninstall the drivers for ADB I previously has installed, and reconnect the device. Only then it was recognized as MTP instead of Nexus ADB, and after a few seconds, it showed un in Windows Explorer.

Tried, didn't work.

What solved the problem for me: uninstallation of the device and its driver completely from the system, using the device manager. After that the device magically appears in Explorer as an mtp usb device. No driver installation or re-installation necessary.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

D1031

Sep 24, 2022
I had this problem with the PIXEL 2, and all I did was update the ACER driver to MTP and it worked.

My PIXEL 6 was fine, I just had to update it to composite device, but now nothing works.

I tried it on another laptop, and it shows up just fine, but not my regular computer I think it must have something to do with windows. I've tried uninstalling a lot of software, gone through hoops of troubleshooting.

The point is what once worked does not anymore, no matter what. I've tried uninstalling all USB drivers and restarting the computer, it doesn't work. This thing will not show up on ANY modes, I've tried different ports and cables, the works.

What the hell? How come it has to be so hard to connect a phone to a PC?!

I've been through this whole thread, and have searched many a blog and youtube video, nothing. This phone does not want to connect to my computer anymore.

The only other option would be an entire format/windows reinstall. I'm not sure I'm at the point of trying that, but I'm getting close. This is frustrating to say the least.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I apologize for the mass text, but this was the only resource I could find when I had this issue and I wasted a lot of time running in circles before understanding what was actually causing the problem. In the off chance that it may help someone else, I would like to share my journey and credit Azerox's solution.

My Pixel 6 was invisible to Windows Explorer in all USB modes, but it would show up as "Acer Composite ADB Interface" in Device Manager and as "Unspecified Device" in Devices and Printers. When I enabled USB Debugging and switched to PTP mode, I could see the Camera folder in Windows Explorer. It remained invisible in all other modes.

I installed the aforementioned Google USB Driver, and uninstalled the "Acer Composite ADB Interface" from Device Manager (right click > Uninstall) erroneously thinking that the Google driver would appear on restart by default (spoiler: they're different drivers). Every time I restarted or plugged my phone back in, I saw Windows re-assert the Acer driver. To add to my confusion, when I updated the driver from Device Manager (right click > Update Driver), Windows prompted me with a "The best drivers for your device are already installed" message.

It wasn't until I stumbled across this Stack Overflow thread that I realized I had to abandon the automatic "search for updates" and manually roll back the driver. So for the sake of SEO and future frustrated pixel-users, update your USB driver from Device Manager by selecting "Browse my computer for drivers," and then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer." You will not be looking for the Google USB Driver--that's for ADB purposes/troubleshooting. USB - MTP or any Android Composite ADB Interface option will allow Windows to recognize the Pixel 6 as a storage device (assuming, again, that file-transfer is enabled on the phone).

Thanks Azerox and community at large for helping me out.

Make sure your device's DEFAULT USB CONFIGURATION under Developer Options (half way down) is set to "file transfer/android auto". Mine was set to "no data transfer" by default

1644223140283.png

View attachment 5530459
    Tried, didn't work.

Hope this helps.
    curious what device manager says for you guys? under Portable Devices (with usb debugging disabled) - Pixel 6 or LeMobile?
    This is what mine shows. You know, now that I think about it, I saw in Windows there were "optional" updates (second screenshot), two of which say "LeMobile". If yours says LeMobile, try uninstalling those drivers from Device Manager and installing the official Google ones as @Lughnasadh
    suggested https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb. You can also do as @Az Biker suggested, or each and every time you connect your phone to your computer, you'll have to toggle the notification to set it to USB file transfer mode (third screenshot).

1638200713253.png

1638200787243.png

7dKcvQZPD-eIf4MzkMY0Tlp_bV3kv5TEcUNssW2GEMTEB4i4p-Z5nE_i4joyLkLNImX5BrWGlM969qoN4rN900MsEuPvCsuCvmAAAGhqY6N5ppQOLx1hEMCZLWCUS2mnIknCB8b5jamnv_onr2pmhQrRV89vhhdg0OGqULJbYjkEyFaoRE5KbhjZMSyGhj3C1HdRMsObcnxr-EiaBr3lBknqkW9_HS0nQRIq8Af6J9CvJzUt8ftYR1BPGLyCuhVTwHnDuIk5rZaJ9OUsPOliNfDBjJvsd6cadgybdnkbeV-xAM8lF64mMmIf_9bJqQZOqM47ywtrs3EfcLoj0r87cxqyEYeN6kXgZJ-1_FpzHNDpBJMK7qqlFuxmVH_nTJw9DbG9BYJyxAwVV-aBoCi-2UR2KONrZ5ctYW1swhhENYTWno1_s4brD0LXCXQ7SIsSO2PdwokN31xzD0-ib9Bu7NVxoFyUbNH-gr63peLXh-dU5nw08mpeQjB2_hFCU9RHf2joQG9lrkNF0mznehBQLsy3jYdvASjdcaD1-jquXIo49MJzdolosyoNKMp0v5fVUmxOq7ATpExwYLfUH-UotQJ1Cq8lrk7v6RGpd-mrMlnEDYgEvh9YeQqmaQJm9IRSFtqflPfRKkI9q9eipdnuDAeZG0qTfB7qC1HITa_I6gCTZu_Uyu8pIw5Er70sotM-2gqb4grlFgcGqSWn9aQV7g646Q=w595-h1288-no