General Pixel 6 Pro on display at Best Buy - Impressions

Search This thread

Guyinlaca

Sep 13, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
The Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro are on display at many Best Buy stores. My initial impression of the 6 Pro was it looks just like the Galaxy S21 Ultra from the front, and the build feels very premium. The "Stormy Black" is only black around the frame and a rather dull gray on the back, however a case will be covering it up for most people anyways. The Cloudy White or Sorta Sunny are more striking for those who don't use a case. The phone is very fast and smooth with a completely clean software experience. The screens on both models was adequately bright but max brightness appears noticeably dimmer than the S21 UItra. Camera quality was outstanding but it was hard to do any comparison. The smaller Pixel 6 is not as premium feeling, it looks just like the Galaxy S20 FE, and the screen is not as vibrant. The Pro is definitely the winner and should satisfy those who want a "Samsung running stock Android".

Android 12 feels a bit incomplete. As of the pre-release software in store, there was no way to customize the Always on Display style, the color picking from the wallpaper was very limited, and there are no icon or font customizations. In many ways, it feels like Google is going the route of Apple by taking away any customizations that drastically alter the look and feel of the phone. I'm hopeful that the bootloader is unlockable so that we can tweak things a bit more. I'm looking forward to getting this phone.

DR4LUC0N

Jun 1, 2014
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Thanks for sharing this impression. Was it the 6 or the 6 Pro that were dimmer than the S21 Ultra?
Did you manually adjust the brightness slider all the way to max on the Pixel & Samsung?
They stated the 6 pro, which goes along with what another thread was talking about, not going higher than 800nits. I don't think the person is mentally challenged, I'm sure they checked the sliders.

krips2003

Sep 27, 2009
Louisville
I too had an experience of holding the Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 6 at my local BB. For whatever reason, the device will keep resetting whenever I tried to swipe up to go to the home screen. It happened on both Pixel 6s phone. May be it's a Google thing 😂. Anyway, I liked the startup animation. I liked the Pro version better than the regular Pixel 6. Here's the Pixel 6 Pro/Pixel 6 startup animation video that I captured on my aging Pixel 3 😁

daniel-t

Mar 17, 2010
I went to a local O2 store in the UK earlier, to get a 5G ready SIM for when my Pixel 6 Pro arrives.

They had a Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro on display. I didn't get a good look as the store was empty and was attended as soon as I walked in.

Guyinlaca

Sep 13, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yes, all the phones were set at Max brightness. The S21 Ultra was definitely brighter, though the Pixel 6 Pro was still more than adequate for the bright store lighting. The display saturation on the 6 Pro is great, and very similar to the S21 Ultra. The regular 6 screen had a more muted tone to it but seemed about as bright as the pro.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I too had an experience of holding the Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 6 at my local BB. For whatever reason, the device will keep resetting whenever I tried to swipe up to go to the home screen. It happened on both Pixel 6s phone. May be it's a Google thing 😂. Anyway, I liked the startup animation. I liked the Pro version better than the regular Pixel 6. Here's the Pixel 6 Pro/Pixel 6 startup animation video that I captured on my aging Pixel 3 😁

Thanks! Very colorful and acid-induced. :D

Reactions: galaxys
Went and saw one myself yesterday at BB. Made me more excited for the phone. I'm most excited about the bigger size. My hands/thumbs are big and I have a hard time messaging. Anyway, the screen was gorgeous. You can definitely tell the difference between its fluidity and my pixel 4xl. No lag, no stutter, which I experience often on my 4xl. I didn't get but maybe two or three minutes with it though. I'm definitely happy with my purchase. It'll be a big upgrade from my 4xl.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018

Holy crap, that nausea inducing animation will be the FIRST thing I delete. Hopefully that boot time is a function of the "alarm" thing jammed into the USB port and is not indicative of reality, otherwise it looks insanely slow. Boot animation on most phones runs for about 5-10 seconds.

Reactions: stroke55

znel52

Jun 3, 2010
Smart Watches
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Holy crap, that nausea inducing animation will be the FIRST thing I delete. Hopefully that boot time is a function of the "alarm" thing jammed into the USB port and is not indicative of reality, otherwise it looks insanely slow. Boot animation on most phones runs for about 5-10 seconds.
Hopefully that is just something 'special' they put on display devices lol

rkial

Nov 25, 2012

The resetting was probably because the devices were running on store demo. It cycles through some images/videos .. you have to close the demo to use the phone normally.

Also, that animation looks like its from the demo too..

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Went and saw one myself yesterday at BB. Made me more excited for the phone. I'm most excited about the bigger size. My hands/thumbs are big and I have a hard time messaging. Anyway, the screen was gorgeous. You can definitely tell the difference between its fluidity and my pixel 4xl. No lag, no stutter, which I experience often on my 4xl. I didn't get but maybe two or three minutes with it though. I'm definitely happy with my purchase. It'll be a big upgrade from my 4xl.
    The smaller 6 looks better than the Pro to me. The real difference is screen curve vs flat. Even the QHD is barely noticeable in real life. I wish the Pro had that flat screen.
    Also, seeing reports of heat from the demos, which I also noticed. However being at 100% brightness and charging, I can't fault them for running warm after 15 minutes.
    There is a YouTube video out there of a guy who did some great camera testing in store. But it's not the final camera release. Can't find the video now though.
    May be this is the video you are talking about.