• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Pixel 6 Pro Refresh rate

Search This thread

IvanPTachev

Oct 21, 2020
I've just set up my phone, and from all the videos never seen anyone comenting on the LTPO panel refresh rate. Tested the screen by enabling the FPS counter in developer settings and noticed it never goes down to 10hz. Even worse - always on stays locked at 120hz and home screen locks at 60hz. Is there something I am missing, or is it a bug?

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

94b20gsr

Sep 4, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
I've just set up my phone, and from all the videos never seen anyone comenting on the LTPO panel refresh rate. Tested the screen by enabling the FPS counter in developer settings and noticed it never goes down to 10hz. Even worse - always on stays locked at 120hz and home screen locks at 60hz. Is there something I am missing, or is it a bug?
I've seen on other device threads were the built in FPS counter doesn't show the actual refresh rate and only bounces between those two. Can't recall what method was used but there are other apps that will display the proper info.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

JDUS

Jul 12, 2017
This review is confirming that too. The variable refresh rate is definitely broken...

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
This review is confirming that too. The variable refresh rate is definitely broken...
As I understand it, SurfaceFlinger only sees 60 and 120, but can't see below 60. It is the display controller that sees below 60, so I suspect the Poco X3 has a different display controller than the Pixel 6 Pro. I think the Pixel 6 Pro would have to have a different display controller to allow the the developer options refresh rate to display anything below 60.

Reactions: jjolayemi

Joelbrentbell

Oct 24, 2015
Anyone having an issue where the phone just drops down to 60hz even thou the slider is set on 120hz?? Happens about once a day for me the only way to fix it is a reboot

Reactions: jjolayemi

orlans21

Jan 4, 2013
Anyone having an issue where the phone just drops down to 60hz even thou the slider is set on 120hz?? Happens about once a day for me the only way to fix it is a reboot
Are you using tasker? I noticed in tasker that one of the tasks I had running dropped the display down to 60hz. Either that or it lowered performance in some way.

xflowy

Jun 4, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
yes, i am having the exact same issue.

i reckon it could be due to some app which hangs in the background as i already witnessed that if you listen to telegram or whatsapp voice messages and minimize the messenger app, you get the same issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I see. I read on the Xda review, that it fluctuates between 60-120 so wanted to test and see if thats true, as I would imagine it dropping down to 10hz would be way better for battery performance.
    If the static content can be a GIF image, one can easily verify the 1 Hz claim if the GIF updates only once every second.
    I've seen on other device threads were the built in FPS counter doesn't show the actual refresh rate and only bounces between those two. Can't recall what method was used but there are other apps that will display the proper info.
    As I understand it, SurfaceFlinger only sees 60 and 120, but can't see below 60. It is the display controller that sees below 60, so I suspect the Poco X3 has a different display controller than the Pixel 6 Pro. I think the Pixel 6 Pro would have to have a different display controller to allow the the developer options refresh rate to display anything below 60.