• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Pixel 6 Pro Screen Flicker when quick pressing power (With phone off) & Status Bar backlight bleed (White tinge)

Search This thread

MartK87

Jun 10, 2013
Hi guys

I put GrapheneOS on this a few days ago. I noticed on using it on the status bar a slight backlight bleed on the top of the screen. Just a white tinge. Have today replaced with Pixel Factory OS (Original) firmware and I no longer seem to get the backlight bleed although that may be because the background is different on Google Stock and not pure black!

I do encounter an issue though which seems to happen with Both GrapheneOS & Google OS and that is the Green Flicker when pressing the power button quickly when the phone is off.
Is this something said to be fixed by google?
If not I am wondering if it may lead to further issues down the line and if I should get it replaced.
If it is quite common for others and google say they will fix it then I may hang onto the device.

What do you reckon?

Cheers folks!

Izy

Hi guys

I put GrapheneOS on this a few days ago. I noticed on using it on the status bar a slight backlight bleed on the top of the screen. Just a white tinge. Have today replaced with Pixel Factory OS (Original) firmware and I no longer seem to get the backlight bleed although that may be because the background is different on Google Stock and not pure black!

I do encounter an issue though which seems to happen with Both GrapheneOS & Google OS and that is the Green Flicker when pressing the power button quickly when the phone is off.
If not I am wondering if it may lead to further issues down the line and if I should get it replaced.
If it is quite common for others and google say they will fix it then I may hang onto the device.

What do you reckon?

Cheers folks!
yes the flicker issue is fixed in december update its been noted by google for awhile now

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
AMOLED displays have no backlight bleeding as there is no backlighting. Something is causing those pixels to have current and emit light.
I would send it back for a refund... once bitten, twice shy.

Reactions: MartK87

MartK87

Jun 10, 2013
I have been told by the website to go into the actual store to arrange a replacement. The only concern I have over this is that this whitish status bar problem only occurs on GrapheneOS. If I go showing them that on GrapheneOS they may not replace it because I have put a custom OS on it. I wondered if there is a way I can somehow make it do it with the Standard Google OS. Or do you think that they would still replace it if I showed them the problem on GrapheneOS? Cheers guys.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Recognized Contributor
I have been told by the website to go into the actual store to arrange a replacement. The only concern I have over this is that this whitish status bar problem only occurs on GrapheneOS. If I go showing them that on GrapheneOS they may not replace it because I have put a custom OS on it. I wondered if there is a way I can somehow make it do it with the Standard Google OS. Or do you think that they would still replace it if I showed them the problem on GrapheneOS? Cheers guys.
Personally, I wouldn't chance it with a custom OS. I would go full stock and even lock the bootloader (which would definitely cause you to factory reset). I'm not a betting kind of person, though, so I try not to take risks.

My first Android phone 11 years ago, I was going to exchange it at the store because the trackball quit working (or it was too sensitive as a button or something), and I was nervous because I had modified my phone - I forgot to restore it to 100% stock before (even the boot screen - and that bootscreen is still on my replacement device I still have). I came up with some excuse before I turned it over to them, and tried to use their computer to help me put the machine back to stock but it was a lot of wasted time - I wasn't successful under pressure, I gave them the phone and they were fine with it, and gave me a new one. And that was a Verizon store, who locks their stuff down so tight. LOL.

You can probably just explain the basics of what happens sometimes, and not even show them. At least, hopefully.

somethingsomethingroot

Nov 8, 2013
I've noticed a white tinge, but only on the home screen of the Pixel Launcher with dark backgrounds. Doesn't show up on Nova or any of the other apps. Just assumed it was a purposeful effect.

MartK87

Jun 10, 2013
They're saying they'd send it back for repair. After thinking about it i am tempted to just make do with what I got. If it doesn't get worse over time (spread more) then i'll just keep it

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Alekos

good luck in asking the graphene devs about it. if you do, please post the response. I'd donate $10 to charity just to see the chat in their matrix room//

are you sure you're having issues? GrapheneOS is experimental at the moment. just grab one of those testing apps to see if you have any issues with the screen (on stock. any issues like your describing is super rare on stock 6 pro). if not then it's 100% software. I would want to be sure it was a hardware issue before I get an RMA/repair

Last edited:

MartK87

Jun 10, 2013
Hey! Thanks for getting back. I went into their support room the other day. Others who have flashed Graphene OS on their devices have reported to not get the white status bar. I only notice it when in a very dark room or with brightness turned on above 50% (Whilst in a darker or dark room) . I do get it with the Stock OS but its only really noticeable with a black wallpaper. With GrapheneOS by default having a black wallpaper, that is what made me notice it. It is the same with stock. So far it has only been present on the home screen. I am going to try a completely different launcher and see if that gets rid of it even using a dark wallpaper. Upon searching on google it seems this issue is quite common but that is with with the pixel 5 (not 6) and others have suggested to use another launcher (Microsoft, Nova and rootless i think was the name?) . I think this is an ok issue to deal with as long as it doesn't interfere with anything or of course get worse over time! What do you reckon? Thanks.

Just an update: I have managed to use Microsoft Launcher (Purely just for testing purposes) using a black wallpaper with it i no longer get the white status bar fade / tinge. It seems the Launcher GrapheneOS & Google Stock use are the issue. This is good news because i THINK (Could be wrong) it confirms it is not a hardware problem.

Last edited:

Alekos

Hey! Thanks for getting back. I went into their support room the other day. Others who have flashed Graphene OS on their devices have reported to not get the white status bar. I only notice it when in a very dark room or with brightness turned on above 50% (Whilst in a darker or dark room) . I do get it with the Stock OS but its only really noticeable with a black wallpaper. With GrapheneOS by default having a black wallpaper, that is what made me notice it. It is the same with stock. So far it has only been present on the home screen. I am going to try a completely different launcher and see if that gets rid of it even using a dark wallpaper. Upon searching on google it seems this issue is quite common but that is with with the pixel 5 (not 6) and others have suggested to use another launcher (Microsoft, Nova and rootless i think was the name?) . I think this is an ok issue to deal with as long as it doesn't interfere with anything or of course get worse over time! What do you reckon? Thanks.

Just an update: I have managed to use Microsoft Launcher (Purely just for testing purposes) using a black wallpaper with it i no longer get the white status bar fade / tinge. It seems the Launcher GrapheneOS & Google Stock use are the issue. This is good news because i THINK (Could be wrong) it confirms it is not a hardware problem.
umm it's hard to say. does it appear in a screenshot as well? grab a screen testing app. it's probably nothing but I don't know what you're seeing exactly so it's hard to comment. sometimes it won't appear in a screenshot, due to the way the fade is created (by an overlay or in the screen profile etc). maybe a photo or something might help/

and you got out of that matrix chat alive? you didn't feel like you were eaten by wolves? awesome. you got lucky.

MartK87

Jun 10, 2013
Good question. Hadn't thought to screenshot it. At first I thought it was hardware so i took a photo of it with my S8+ and uploaded it onto their GrapheneOS chat but unfortunately the picture never did save. Once I get home I will try and egt a screen shot. What sort of screen testing app can you recommend with the problems described above?

hahaha yes i didn't notice anything in the chat but i was only there for about 5 minutes. What are they like then? Do they take all this stuff too seriously? lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys

What do you reckon?

Cheers folks!
    yes the flicker issue is fixed in december update its been noted by google for awhile now
    No worries i'll get onto the co who sold it today and get a replacement sorted out. Thanks guys for the help
    good luck in asking the graphene devs about it. if you do, please post the response. I'd donate $10 to charity just to see the chat in their matrix room//

are you sure you're having issues? GrapheneOS is experimental at the moment. just grab one of those testing apps to see if you have any issues with the screen (on stock. any issues like your describing is super rare on stock 6 pro). if not then it's 100% software. I would want to be sure it was a hardware issue before I get an RMA/repair
    AMOLED displays have no backlight bleeding as there is no backlighting. Something is causing those pixels to have current and emit light.
    I would send it back for a refund... once bitten, twice shy.
    so embarrassing {my browser froze or something). but yeah, just make sure to read my post.^^ I'm returning this pixel because it made me comment again