Question Pixel 6a Fingerprint scanner flaw

Search This thread

Total Eclipse

Nov 10, 2008
Where did you get the phone from with the update already installed? 3rd party or store? It might need a factory reset if installed by someone else. Simply because it does work and no other fingers should unlock it.
...though admittedly, it's possible that it didn't come out of the box with the update on it, it may have done a OTA update as soon as it was registered.

Either way, the fingerprint unlock is still flawed.

sconebranch

Jul 27, 2017
Google Pixel 6a
Fingerprint scanner worked fine on A12; upgraded to A13 and it basically doesn't work. I unlocked my bootloader after the 13 install, so I think that counts as a factory reset.

I can get the scanner to work by licking my finger. Any other ideas on how to tweak the scanner sensor sensitivity?

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Fingerprint scanner worked fine on A12; upgraded to A13 and it basically doesn't work. I unlocked my bootloader after the 13 install, so I think that counts as a factory reset.

I can get the scanner to work by licking my finger. Any other ideas on how to tweak the scanner sensor sensitivity?
Seems on A13 more pressure is needed....if you push harder, and more quickly it seems to work ok....they definitely need to sort this out though.

I use Smart Lock so its rare I have to use a FP but its an adventure when I do

Reactions: sconebranch

sconebranch

Jul 27, 2017
Google Pixel 6a
Seems on A13 more pressure is needed....if you push harder, and more quickly it seems to work ok....they definitely need to sort this out though.

I use Smart Lock so its rare I have to use a FP but its an adventure when I do

I appreciate the advice (and the kernel), but pushing harder didn't work for me.

Going under Settings/Display and enabling "Increase touch screen sensitivity" solved the problem for me.

Reactions: ctfrommn

EvanVanVan

Jun 27, 2009
The fingerprint reader is unusable since I upgraded to A13. I even went so far as to remove my screen protector and delete all my fingerprints thinking that adding them fresh might help. The reader is so bad now the setup couldn't even detect my finger...

Reactions: bobby janow

Proud2banoob

Jul 12, 2013
Durham
Update on the FP scanner issue. Since updating to A13, the scanner has become very hit and miss. Sometimes unlocks first time, sometimes requires pin unlock (a PITA as my pin is 16 digits). I hope this mess gets fixed soon.

neo_lithic3K

Since I updated to A13, my fingerprint scanner has been pretty reliable ... even with a matte TPU screen protector

Under strong sunlight, fingerprint sensor almost never works. Other than strong sunlight, there were random times when it would not recognize my fingerprint no matter what I did; even had issues when re-registering ... but then the issue would go away by itself. I previously thought the cause was OS or hardware, but now I'm thinking it's just my finger condition (maybe dry, just took a shower and no oils on my finger, or something else).

Reactions: Proud2banoob

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
FPR is almost un
Since I updated to A13, my fingerprint scanner has been pretty reliable ... even with a matte TPU screen protector

Under strong sunlight, fingerprint sensor almost never works. Other than strong sunlight, there were random times when it would not recognize my fingerprint no matter what I did; even had issues when re-registering ... but then the issue would go away by itself. I previously thought the cause was OS or hardware, but now I'm thinking it's just my finger condition (maybe dry, just took a shower and no oils on my finger, or something else).
I am finding the opposite. On latest 12 all was fine, I'd say about 95% accurate. Now it's about 40 - 50% accurate. I used to be able to unlock whether dry or moist fingers whereas very dry I wouldn't even try. Now more often than not it is saying too many tries and I have to manually unlock. And that's after only one or two tries I get the pin screen. I sincerely hope they fix this sooner rather than later. I've changed my pin to a simple one now so I can unlock quickly but it's really frustrating.

neo_lithic3K

FPR is almost un

I am finding the opposite. On latest 12 all was fine, I'd say about 95% accurate. Now it's about 40 - 50% accurate. I used to be able to unlock whether dry or moist fingers whereas very dry I wouldn't even try. Now more often than not it is saying too many tries and I have to manually unlock. And that's after only one or two tries I get the pin screen. I sincerely hope they fix this sooner rather than later. I've changed my pin to a simple one now so I can unlock quickly but it's really frustrating.

You're right about A12. I've had practically no fingerprint errors on A12 (other than using it under bright sunlight). The few fingerprint issues I've had were all on A13.

The issues you mentioned on A13 are very very frustrating. I did encounter those issues, especially on A13 Beta4 but mostly went away on A13 stable. I don't know what fixed it for me except that I did reboot my phone and re-register my fingerprints. I also noticed that I shouldn't press too hard and the way I register my fingerprint matters.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
You're right about A12. I've had practically no fingerprint errors on A12 (other than using it under bright sunlight). The few fingerprint issues I've had were all on A13.

The issues you mentioned on A13 are very very frustrating. I did encounter those issues, especially on A13 Beta4 but mostly went away on A13 stable. I don't know what fixed it for me except that I did reboot my phone and re-register my fingerprints. I also noticed that I shouldn't press too hard and the way I register my fingerprint matters.
I can't even register a print any longer. Tried about a dozen times over the last few days.

Just tried again with two fingers plus my original one. Try again later is all I get. This is just terrible. What the heck happened?

neo_lithic3K

I can't even register a print any longer. Tried about a dozen times over the last few days.

yeah, I had the same issue as well on A13 Beta4. No matter what I did, what angle or finger area, or how I registered it, the sensor would give me errors.

I'm sure you already did this, but just make sure that you're on the latest patch/update. But yeah, I do feel your frustration... I went through the same thing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got mine today. Only registered my right thumb, but left thumb opens it too. None of my other fingers do though.

And no, none of my previous devices do this. Not my Pixel 5A and not my OnePlus 7 Pro. My fingerprints are not identical, which is almost statistically impossible.

So yes, the fingerprint sensor is not secure. Please stop going out of your way to defend Google. They are not your friend, they just want your money.
    @Virgo_Guy A mere bag o' shells. I'll make sure that it works correctly when I get it tomorrow and gloat. ;-) If it has a flaw I'll keep it in my sight at all times. But my wife knows all my passwords and our joint account number. So now what? Sleep with one eye open, shower with her to keep her honest? Decisions, decisions.
    I think showering with her is your only good option, here. Safety first!
    Just got mine. All set up. Zero issues with the finger print sensor. Works first try with only fingers registered. Went around my office letting people try to unlock with zero success.
    This phone is so amazing. I'm coming from the pixel 6, to the S22. I prefer this all day long over them.
    Anyone else experiencing problems with the 6a fingerprint.It's unlocking even with the non-registered fingerprint. Is this a widespread issue?
    Yes. I just got mine setup yesterday and registered both thumbprints. Then, was able to unlock it with my right index finger (which was NOT registered.) So, it is definitely an issue. Also to note, I'm on T-Mobile and haven't received an OTA update yet. OOTB it is on the April security release. **Interesting note: it seems that Google doesn't even have an unlocked OTA update yet: https://developers.google.com/android/ota
    One guy with a pre release version does not a widespread issue make. We'll know more tomorrow. It very well might be but isn't yet.