Question Pixel 6a Fingerprint scanner flaw

Search This thread

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
Thanks yeah. Did that yesterday no help. I saw your previous post about that and tried it. I mean it works but kind of like when the 6 first came out. Very sketchy. Moisturized and it is working now somewhat but there is certainly some issues.
Thats a bummer. Mine is now all of a sudden working almost flawlessly.

Proud2banoob

Jul 12, 2013
Durham
Another note. I don't think that the problem is with the sensor. I have many different apps which is the fingerprint to verify my identity. The apps work flawlessly and quickly with the fingerprint sensor. It's only that logging in to the phone which seems to cause issues.

Reactions: ctfrommn

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
This will be fixable with a software update. Mine works basically flawless everytime now. I didn't do anything specific intentionally so it's either some upstream commits or a byproduct of some other change.

Reactions: Proud2banoob

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
This will be fixable with a software update. Mine works basically flawless everytime now. I didn't do anything specific intentionally so it's either some upstream commits or a byproduct of some other change.
But then why can't I add another print? I'm totally stock with hardly any mods or any that are unusual or experimental. I presume we'll get an update Tuesday so we'll see. I can unlock my other apps almost all the time, it's just unlocking the phone as stated above and adding a FP (literally impossible on my device) which is the issue.

ctfrommn

May 25, 2011
Minnesota
But then why can't I add another print? I'm totally stock with hardly any mods or any that are unusual or experimental. I presume we'll get an update Tuesday so we'll see. I can unlock my other apps almost all the time, it's just unlocking the phone as stated above and adding a FP (literally impossible on my device) which is the issue.
Not sure, but I definitely faced the same thing in stock. And adding a new one is still difficult.

rochrunner

Jan 13, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
Another note. I don't think that the problem is with the sensor. I have many different apps which is the fingerprint to verify my identity. The apps work flawlessly and quickly with the fingerprint sensor. It's only that logging in to the phone which seems to cause issues.
I noticed that even on the old rear print sensor on my 3a. It's like the apps aren't looking for as close a match as the system is for the master unlock. Now on my 6a I rarely miss when logging into an app, but often get failures on the lock screen.

Proud2banoob

Jul 12, 2013
Durham
Yes. When the update finally comes to the 6a. I'm hoping that the delay is so that they can fix this FP problem, once and for all.

Now, it seems to have Multiple Personality Disorder, working first try most of the time but reverting back to old behaviors on occasion. It's like potty training a new puppy....

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
One concern I now have is that since I'm still on the August update, as all of us still are, why is the FPR so much better? Those not on Beta 1 will get the update soon, hopefully, but will it address the FPR? OT, the connectivity is so much better too on B1. I would leave the gym and it could take minutes or longer to reconnect to the network and sometimes a reboot was needed. Today it connected immediately. First time since my P5 days. So the September update will do what since I'm still on August and these issues are fixed? Very confusing. I wish they would inform us what is going on behind the scenes, i.e what held up the security update, are they working on FPR and connectivity for stable A13, things like that.

Reactions: ctfrommn

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Just installed the QPR T1B1 and FPR is definitely better. I have a screen protector on as well.
Did you see and turn on the new switch (I think it's just the text of it) that says for screen savers? As soon as I saw the change log in the release notes I had to install it. I've never been able to unlock with wet or dry fingers and now it's flawless. Also got the October Play system update whereas I was stuck on July. Now waiting on the Sept security update. This is really a game changer.

slugger410ft

Sep 6, 2007
Did you see and turn on the new switch (I think it's just the text of it) that says for screen savers? As soon as I saw the change log in the release notes I had to install it. I've never been able to unlock with wet or dry fingers and now it's flawless. Also got the October Play system update whereas I was stuck on July. Now waiting on the Sept security update. This is really a game changer.
I haven't messed with the screen saver options. My Play update shows October. I was really just looking for the FPR update. My phone stays in a mount in my car and having to try and unlock was a son of a gun while driving. It's all good now.

Reactions: bobby janow

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
It's actually under display settings at the bottom called "screen protector mode". I was just curious since I don't use one. But in a car it was impossible to unlock. Almost like as soon as it detected the engine start the FPR was non functional. Being facetious of course but I obviously had the same issue.

slugger410ft

Sep 6, 2007
It's actually under display settings at the bottom called "screen protector mode". I was just curious since I don't use one. But in a car it was impossible to unlock. Almost like as soon as it detected the engine start the FPR was non functional. Being facetious of course but I obviously had the same issue.
I thought that was maybe what you were talking about. I currently have it off and haven't had any issues. I tried toggling it before the beta and didn't notice a difference.

damian5000

Oct 25, 2011
I have that option off. I have glass protection. On stable 13. Have never had an issue with the FPR. Just saying. I'm not denying there's an issue. They address it directly in latest beta update, so, though it's pretty damn good as is, it will be interesting to see if it is improved, eg quicker taps and less deliberate placing of thumb required.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got mine today. Only registered my right thumb, but left thumb opens it too. None of my other fingers do though.

And no, none of my previous devices do this. Not my Pixel 5A and not my OnePlus 7 Pro. My fingerprints are not identical, which is almost statistically impossible.

So yes, the fingerprint sensor is not secure. Please stop going out of your way to defend Google. They are not your friend, they just want your money.
    @Virgo_Guy A mere bag o' shells. I'll make sure that it works correctly when I get it tomorrow and gloat. ;-) If it has a flaw I'll keep it in my sight at all times. But my wife knows all my passwords and our joint account number. So now what? Sleep with one eye open, shower with her to keep her honest? Decisions, decisions.
    I think showering with her is your only good option, here. Safety first!
    Just got mine. All set up. Zero issues with the finger print sensor. Works first try with only fingers registered. Went around my office letting people try to unlock with zero success.
    This phone is so amazing. I'm coming from the pixel 6, to the S22. I prefer this all day long over them.
    Anyone else experiencing problems with the 6a fingerprint.It's unlocking even with the non-registered fingerprint. Is this a widespread issue?
    Yes. I just got mine setup yesterday and registered both thumbprints. Then, was able to unlock it with my right index finger (which was NOT registered.) So, it is definitely an issue. Also to note, I'm on T-Mobile and haven't received an OTA update yet. OOTB it is on the April security release. **Interesting note: it seems that Google doesn't even have an unlocked OTA update yet: https://developers.google.com/android/ota
    One guy with a pre release version does not a widespread issue make. We'll know more tomorrow. It very well might be but isn't yet.