General Pixel 6a OEM Unlocking Greyed Out STILL in August Update

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'm unsure what this number means. I assume you can tell by the model number whether or not your device is carrier locked?
I see. I simply used a Google Search. Several search hits say:
  • Google PIXEL 6a 5G (Charcoal) G1AZG 128GB + 6GB RAM - GSM Unlocked (No CDMA)
  • Google Pixel 6A 5G 128GB/6GB RAM (G1AZG) GSM Unlocked International Version
So, carrier unlocked, but GSM only - no CDMA.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
What number are we supposed to look for here?
I just got my 6a yesterday, from Google, allegedly unlocked, but OEM unlocking option is greyed out for me as well.
I went ahead and checked the regulatory labels, says my model number is G1AZG.
Since there really isn't a complete list of which devices are which I guess you can start out telling us where you bought the device from and what you thought you purchased. I bought an unlocked version from Best Buy and the regulatory label says Model GX7AS. That's different from the model number on the box which is GA03715-US. I updated day 1, factory reset with a Verizon sim in it, both physical and eSim and the OEM switch became active.

Lada333

Feb 7, 2016
Budapest
OnePlus 3T
Google Pixel 4a
Since there really isn't a complete list of which devices are which I guess you can start out telling us where you bought the device from and what you thought you purchased. I bought an unlocked version from Best Buy and the regulatory label says Model GX7AS. That's different from the model number on the box which is GA03715-US. I updated day 1, factory reset with a Verizon sim in it, both physical and eSim and the OEM switch became active.
I bought my 6a from the Google Store. I live in Hungary, unfortunately Google doesn't ship to Hungary, so I had a friend of mine ship the device to me from Germany.
I booted up the phone, put my Hungarian Telekom SIM card in, set up everything normally. There was an update with a size of about 50 MB. Even after installing that + rebooting, in developer settings OEM unlocking is still greyed out, saying "Connect to the internet or contact your carrier." The second half of this message got me worried a bit - thinking it can only be unlocked with a German SIM? (That's probably nonsense though).

I'm not super keen on rooting yet. I want to use the phone for a few weeks/months, just to see if everything is in order. Realistically, I'd only use Magisk to be able to use Advanced Charging Controller.

--

Apologies if this is super off-topic, but I've just noticed that there is a system update available that would upgrade me to Android 13. I've read about some nasty stuff about it (especially how the new bootloader (?) makes it basically impossible to root/unlock), so I'd rather postpone it for a while. Is my phone going to automatically download and install this update? If so, is there any way for me to prevent that from happening?

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I bought my 6a from the Google Store. I live in Hungary, unfortunately Google doesn't ship to Hungary, so I had a friend of mine ship the device to me from Germany.
I booted up the phone, put my Hungarian Telekom SIM card in, set up everything normally. There was an update with a size of about 50 MB. Even after installing that + rebooting, in developer settings OEM unlocking is still greyed out, saying "Connect to the internet or contact your carrier." The second half of this message got me worried a bit - thinking it can only be unlocked with a German SIM? (That's probably nonsense though).

I'm not super keen on rooting yet. I want to use the phone for a few weeks/months, just to see if everything is in order. Realistically, I'd only use Magisk to be able to use Advanced Charging Controller.

--

Apologies if this is super off-topic, but I've just noticed that there is a system update available that would upgrade me to Android 13. I've read about some nasty stuff about it (especially how the new bootloader (?) makes it basically impossible to root/unlock), so I'd rather postpone it for a while. Is my phone going to automatically download and install this update? If so, is there any way for me to prevent that from happening?
First thing you need to do is factory reset after the 50 mb update. That will allow OEM unlock. After that upgrade to A13 it's a needed update. Don't worry about root yet.

rcartaz09

Dec 28, 2013
First thing you need to do is factory reset after the 50 mb update. That will allow OEM unlock. After that upgrade to A13 it's a needed update. Don't worry about root yet.
That's exactly what I did and OEM unlocking was there. A little bummed I upgraded to A13 though because I didn't realize that meant no going backwards so now I have to wait for custom rooms that are A13.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
That's exactly what I did and OEM unlocking was there. A little bummed I upgraded to A13 though because I didn't realize that meant no going backwards so now I have to wait for custom rooms that are A13.
But at least you have a FPR that works. Lol Maybe a custom kernel to get started? They kinda pulled the rug out on that one but they did say there was a major security flaw in the A12 bootloader. I'm not rooted so I'm really not sure if there is anything you can do at this point other than what you suggest by waiting.

Reactions: rcartaz09

Lada333

Feb 7, 2016
Budapest
OnePlus 3T
Google Pixel 4a

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Implying the fingerprint reader doesn't work on A12? Haven't had issues with it since I've got my device.

Yeah, I'm sure there totally is a major security flaw, and they didn't just do this as another step to make modding more difficult. :D
Some, like yourself, never had problems with the FPR. However, many did until the September update or the QPR1 beta. Personally I went from about 30% success to now close to 100%. That is pretty common for those, like me, who were saddled with a faulty unlock mechanism.

As for modding, I'm not a conspiracy theorist though there are some in your camp saying Google is playing games. I don't mod these days so I was just reporting what has been documented.

Reactions: Lada333

Lada333

Feb 7, 2016
Budapest
OnePlus 3T
Google Pixel 4a
Personally I went from about 30% success to now close to 100%.
That's actually mind-blowing to me. I assume moving from SD SOCs to Tensor took a lot longer than Google expected. I'm glad they are able to fix most of the issues through software updates.

As for modding, I'm not a conspiracy theorist though there are some in your camp saying Google is playing games. I don't mod these days so I was just reporting what has been documented.
I have not done much research regarding this topic, what I said was purely based on the fact that seemingly year over year, they make modding more difficult. Before my 4a I was running a OnePlus 3T, and I was absolutely devastated by the fact that Google tweaked some stuff with how the recovery works, meaning TWRP or any other custom recoveries are basically a thing of the past.

Matrix1999

1. Navigate to Settings > About phone
  2. Scroll down to “Build number” and tap it 7 times or until you become a developer
  3. Navigate to Settings > System > Developer options > OEM Unlocking and tap to enable.
🚨If OEM unlocking is greyed out on your device:
  1. Connect the Pixel 6a to the internet
  2. Navigate to Settings > System > System update
  3. Install first critical system update and reboot.
  4. Return to stage 1 of OEM Unlocking. If greyed out, proceed to #5.
  5. Remove sim card. Connect to WiFi.
  6. Navigate to Settings > System > Reset options
  7. Erase all data (factory reset)
  8. Once reset, go through setup and connect to WiFi.
  9. Reboot device.
  10. Return to Step 1 of OEM Unlocking.
Source: https://www.bayareatechpros.com/pixel6a-graphene/

I just bought one since there is a good deal going on and I managed to OEM unlock with the steps listed above. I am running 12 and not 13, not sure if that matters or not. I want to hold out on installing 13 to run custom ROMs.

Twilightsparklez

Oct 9, 2022
I just bought one since there is a good deal going on and I managed to OEM unlock with the steps listed above. I am running 12 and not 13, not sure if that matters or not. I want to hold out on installing 13 to run custom ROMs.
Calyx, graphene and (kind of?) Lineage are updated for 13. I actually recommend to update. My experience small with 12 made me consider returning my phone to google and getting samsung due to it being a buggy nightmare

Matrix1999

Calyx, graphene and (kind of?) Lineage are updated for 13. I actually recommend to update. My experience small with 12 made me consider returning my phone to google and getting samsung due to it being a buggy nightmare
I want to upgrade as well but I have read that once upgraded to 13 you cannot downgrade due to the new bootloader is no longer being downloadable.

Aqq123

Aug 27, 2009
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
I want to upgrade as well but I have read that once upgraded to 13 you cannot downgrade due to the new bootloader is no longer being downloadable.
You can still downgrade to 12L with the Developer Support Build:
We provide modified Android 12 system images that are based on stable, public builds of Android 12 (API level 31) and the 12L feature drop (API level 32) that also include an updated version of the bootloader with security fixes and an incremented anti-rollback counter.

A Pixel 6, 6 Pro, or 6a device that is running Android 13 can be rolled back to an Android 12 Developer Support image but can't be rolled back to any other Android 12 images. A device that is running a Developer Support image can be flashed to the latest public build but can't be flashed back to any previous Android 12 images.

Reactions: Matrix1999

Matrix1999

ritchea

Sep 6, 2011
okeechobee
Google Pixel 6a
FWIW (0, I suspect), I just factory reset my direct-from-google unlocked 6a due to some other issues. OEM unlocking had never been available. To note, my Day 1 6a had to be replaced nearly immediately as it locked up after an update (or course I couldn't do anything to fix it because OEM unlock had not been available on that one, either). AT&T prepaid. I have gone through everything suggested (except be on July update) and still not available. One reset was within the system; two were through recovery. All were completed without sim in phone. OEM unlocking is still greyed out. I would go back to google, but I'd had so much problem running G-Pay with unlocked BL on my 3a, that I eventually re-locked and said to hell with it. Just reporting that, for whatever reason, bootloader unlocking is still unavailable on devices. I also just tried the toggle Developer Settings as reported in another thread--no OEM unlock.

Twilightsparklez

Oct 9, 2022
FWIW (0, I suspect), I just factory reset my direct-from-google unlocked 6a due to some other issues. OEM unlocking had never been available. To note, my Day 1 6a had to be replaced nearly immediately as it locked up after an update (or course I couldn't do anything to fix it because OEM unlock had not been available on that one, either). AT&T prepaid. I have gone through everything suggested (except be on July update) and still not available. One reset was within the system; two were through recovery. All were completed without sim in phone. OEM unlocking is still greyed out. I would go back to google, but I'd had so much problem running G-Pay with unlocked BL on my 3a, that I eventually re-locked and said to hell with it. Just reporting that, for whatever reason, bootloader unlocking is still unavailable on devices. I also just tried the toggle Developer Settings as reported in another thread--no OEM unlock.
If its an att model, call them up. They need to unlock it or you need to wait for it to be paid off

ritchea

Sep 6, 2011
okeechobee
Google Pixel 6a
Return it for a refund or replacement.
I'm still considering that although the first replacement is the one I have now. It had to be replaced (no UNLOCK available, but that wasn't the reason for replacement) within a week or two of receiving it. I did this recent factory reset due to loss of cellular signal over the past couple of weeks. Yesterday, I lost the signal while my son, same phone and same cellular service/account, who was sitting next to me had no issues.--full bars. If that returns, I will have to send for a replacement.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can still downgrade to 12L with the Developer Support Build:
    We provide modified Android 12 system images that are based on stable, public builds of Android 12 (API level 31) and the 12L feature drop (API level 32) that also include an updated version of the bootloader with security fixes and an incremented anti-rollback counter.

A Pixel 6, 6 Pro, or 6a device that is running Android 13 can be rolled back to an Android 12 Developer Support image but can't be rolled back to any other Android 12 images. A device that is running a Developer Support image can be flashed to the latest public build but can't be flashed back to any previous Android 12 images.

HEY THIS MIGHT WORK FOR U!

Was having the same issue, nothing seemed to be working.
    I had success finally, though!
    1. Be sure you realize your phone will be wiped, etc.
    2. Airplane Mode & No SIM inserted.
    3. Remove All Accounts From Phone (to prevent issues with locks, etc)
    4. Make sure you can put the phone in fastboot & adb modes
    I put the phone in various modes to test, and ended up doing this:

[ REBOOT PHONE INTO SIDELOAD MODE VIA: ]

Code:
    $ adb reboot sideload
    Once the phone is ready to accept the side load OTA package, push that happy bullsh1t right on down the USB cable to the phone via:

Code:
    adb sideload ~/MagicalGarbageDump/bluejay-ota-sd2a.220601.003-ddfde1f7.zip

From the OTA file downloaded directly from Google at THIS SITE. It's this one:

12.1.0 (SD2A.220601.003, Jun 2022)Linkddfde1f7edcdbb2b3de41d24f6c3f31587f836f387cab4cc6d16adee32bcab8a

After downloading and flashing that OTA, I had to "reset to factory settings" about two more times, seemingly randomly, and then it worked!
    I made sure to have:

- NO SIM CARD IN THE PHONE.
    - NO WIRELESS NETWORKS CONNECTED.

I am kind of annoyed it seemingly randomly decided to work, but also grateful that it finally unfzcked itself.

--

Perhaps you can close this redundant thread since you cross posted to this one and it already has over 200 posts.

I'm unsure what this number means. I assume you can tell by the model number whether or not your device is carrier locked?
    I see. I simply used a Google Search. Several search hits say:
    • Google PIXEL 6a 5G (Charcoal) G1AZG 128GB + 6GB RAM - GSM Unlocked (No CDMA)
    • Google Pixel 6A 5G 128GB/6GB RAM (G1AZG) GSM Unlocked International Version
    So, carrier unlocked, but GSM only - no CDMA.
    1. Navigate to Settings > About phone
    2. Scroll down to “Build number” and tap it 7 times or until you become a developer
    3. Navigate to Settings > System > Developer options > OEM Unlocking and tap to enable.
    🚨If OEM unlocking is greyed out on your device:
    1. Connect the Pixel 6a to the internet
    2. Navigate to Settings > System > System update
    3. Install first critical system update and reboot.
    4. Return to stage 1 of OEM Unlocking. If greyed out, proceed to #5.
    5. Remove sim card. Connect to WiFi.
    6. Navigate to Settings > System > Reset options
    7. Erase all data (factory reset)
    8. Once reset, go through setup and connect to WiFi.
    9. Reboot device.
    10. Return to Step 1 of OEM Unlocking.
    Source: https://www.bayareatechpros.com/pixel6a-graphene/