General Pixel 6a OEM Unlocking Greyed Out STILL in August Update

Search This thread

oidasldas

Sep 19, 2022
Hi folks. Jumping into the thread here as well with some info.

Basic context: Carrier unlocked Pixel 6a phone purchased in the US. Carrier unlock status confirmed by Google via IMEI check and by swapping out SIM cards in device. Multiple SIMs work fine. Have had multiple conversations with Google, no help at all. Been told it is a "software issue", to wait for the next update, but that next software update might** not solve it. Tons of circular logic while talking with Google reps, but I digress... I have updated to the September security release, Android 13, done factory resets from the OS, and followed other instructions listed. EOM Unlocking is still greyed out.

Without OEM Unlocking available, phone is basically no useless for me.

***Here is the potentially interesting bit...I seems like there are errors during the factory reset process.

While trying to perform a factory reset from "Android Recovery" screen, I get the following output:

--Wiping data
ERROR: recovery: [libfs_mgr] Unable to enable ext4 verity on /dev/block/platform/14700000.ufs/by-name/metadata because /system/bin/tune2fs is missing
Formatting /data...
Formatting /metadata...
Wiping Titan M...
Wiping key...
ERROR: recovery: gto_eseha1 SecureElement:t1_recv_window_append free 261
Data wipe complete

Is it possible that these errors are resulting in EOM Unlocking not being available?

Don't want to sound conspiratorial but after multiple conversations with Google reps, it sounds like they have a sense of what is wrong but don't want to share for some reason.

Reactions: jackfrost909
D

Deleted member 10740347

Hi folks. Jumping into the thread here as well with some info.

Basic context: Carrier unlocked Pixel 6a phone purchased in the US. Carrier unlock status confirmed by Google via IMEI check and by swapping out SIM cards in device. Multiple SIMs work fine. Have had multiple conversations with Google, no help at all. Been told it is a "software issue", to wait for the next update, but that next software update might** not solve it. Tons of circular logic while talking with Google reps, but I digress... I have updated to the September security release, Android 13, done factory resets from the OS, and followed other instructions listed. EOM Unlocking is still greyed out.

Without OEM Unlocking available, phone is basically no useless for me.

***Here is the potentially interesting bit...I seems like there are errors during the factory reset process.

While trying to perform a factory reset from "Android Recovery" screen, I get the following output:

--Wiping data
ERROR: recovery: [libfs_mgr] Unable to enable ext4 verity on /dev/block/platform/14700000.ufs/by-name/metadata because /system/bin/tune2fs is missing
Formatting /data...
Formatting /metadata...
Wiping Titan M...
Wiping key...
Data wipe complete

Is it possible that these errors are resulting in EOM Unlocking not being available?

Don't want to sound conspiratorial but after multiple conversations with Google reps, it sounds like they have a sense of what is wrong but don't want to share for some reason.
Looks like the os is corrupt. Tune2fs missing possibly means either faulty flash etorage or they didn't image it correctly from the start. Either way, replace it

Reactions: andybones

oidasldas

Sep 19, 2022
@n0lan Thanks for your reply.

I am running Build Number TP1A.220905.004.A2, which I downloaded and sideloaded directly from the Google Developer site.

Specifically referring to here:

13.0.0 (TP1A.220905.004.A2, Sep 2022)

I also confirmed that the build matches the SHA-256 Checksum posted on Google's site.

I also tried downgrade to the previous build but that was blocked. I can't downgrade and the current build is potentially messed up. Google also prevents rollback to Android 12...

ERROR: recovery: Current SPL: 2022-09-05 Target SPL: 2022-08-05 this is considered a downgrade
ERROR: recovery: Denying OTA because it's SPL downgrade

EDIT:
To be clear, were you suggesting replacing the physical device or trying to install a different build number? If there is an issue with the build overall then getting a new device will the same build loaded would yield the same issue no? @n0lan

oidasldas

Sep 19, 2022
FYI, sounding more and more like needing to wait for yet another build.......and hoping the change was set. Are people using build TP1A.220905.004.A2 and are able to do EOM Unlocking?

The ro.oem_unlock_supported property should be set at build time based on whether the device supports flashing unlock.

• If the device suppports flashing unlock, set ro.oem_unlock_supported to 1.
  • If the device doesn't support flashing unlock, set ro.oem_unlock_supported to 0.

If the device supports flashing unlock, then the bootloader should indicate the lock status by setting the kernel command line variable androidboot.flash.locked to 1 if locked or to 0 if unlocked. This variable must be set in bootconfig instead of in the kernel command line in Android 12.

For devices that support dm-verity, use ro.boot.verifiedbootstate to set the value of ro.boot.flash.locked to 0; this unlocks the bootloader if the verified boot state is orange.

batp

Sep 6, 2010
Moto E6
Google Pixel 6a
  1. Navigate to Settings > About phone
  2. Scroll down to “Build number” and tap it 7 times or until you become a developer
  3. Navigate to Settings > System > Developer options > OEM Unlocking and tap to enable.
🚨If OEM unlocking is greyed out on your device:
  1. Connect the Pixel 6a to the internet
  2. Navigate to Settings > System > System update
  3. Install first critical system update and reboot.
  4. Return to stage 1 of OEM Unlocking. If greyed out, proceed to #5.
  5. Remove sim card. Connect to WiFi.
  6. Navigate to Settings > System > Reset options
  7. Erase all data (factory reset)
  8. Once reset, go through setup and connect to WiFi.
  9. Reboot device.
  10. Return to Step 1 of OEM Unlocking.
Source: https://www.bayareatechpros.com/pixel6a-graphene/

oidasldas

Sep 19, 2022
@batp Thanks for your message.

I have just redone steps 1 through 3. OEM Unlocking is still greyed out.

I then continued to the next step of steps listed as 1 through 10.

When I get to step number 3 ("Install first critical system update and reboot."), the screen says "Your system is up to date. Android version : 13, Android security update: September 5, 2022. Last successful check for update : XXXXX

I then performed all of the others steps listed. OEM Unlocking is still greyed out.

oidasldas

Sep 19, 2022
Friends....it looks like I am hosed unless the powers that be aka Google (who actually apparently own my device despite paying a pretty penny) decide otherwise.

After doing the reset steps over and over. Decided to take a look at overall settings.

Connected to device, enabled USB debugging, then using adb:

""""
./adb shell getprop | grep oem_unlock

[sys.oem_unlock_allowed]: [0]

"""

I would be grateful if anyone from the thread or wider community could please see if they can reproduce that with build 13.0.0 (TP1A.220905.004.A2, Sep 2022) listed in the link above.

D

Deleted member 10740347

Friends....it looks like I am hosed unless the powers that be aka Google (who actually apparently own my device despite paying a pretty penny) decide otherwise.

After doing the reset steps over and over. Decided to take a look at overall settings.

Connected to device, enabled USB debugging, then using adb:

""""
./adb shell getprop | grep oem_unlock

[sys.oem_unlock_allowed]: [0]

"""

I would be grateful if anyone from the thread or wider community could please see if they can reproduce that with build 13.0.0 (TP1A.220905.004.A2, Sep 2022) listed in the link above.
The last thing I'll suggest is factory reset through recovery a few times

oidasldas

Sep 19, 2022
@n0lan Thanks for the suggestion on factory reset. Per above I get an error message while trying to do the factor reset from the Recover Screen:

"
--Wiping data
Formatting /data...
Formatting /metadata...
Wiping Titan M...
Wiping key...
Data wipe complete"

Not convinced that a total wipe is being done despite "Data wipe complete".

D

Deleted member 6200352

@n0lan Thanks for the suggestion on factory reset. Per above I get an error message while trying to do the factor reset from the Recover Screen:

"
--Wiping data
Formatting /data...
Formatting /metadata...
Wiping Titan M...
Wiping key...
Data wipe complete"

Not convinced that a total wipe is being done despite "Data wipe complete".
Dunno if this helps..sorry if doesnt

batp

Sep 6, 2010
Moto E6
Google Pixel 6a
I suggest you send it back to Google, who will repair it under warranty.

My experience with that is that I bricked a pixel 3a I purchased on ebay. It was still under 2 year store warranty and they fixed it for free. I had it back in a week IIRC.

ypnos42

Nov 29, 2012
  2. Scroll down to “Build number” and tap it 7 times or until you become a developer
  3. Navigate to Settings > System > Developer options > OEM Unlocking and tap to enable.
  9. Reboot device.
On a positive note, these instructions worked for me!

I got my Pixel 6a a week ago. Now did the steps with update and factory reset. OEM unlock was grayed out until step 9 + an additional reboot. Oddly enough, the first reboot was not enough.

Remove your google account, remove your SIM, do the OTA, then factory reset.
Go through setup without connecting to wifi, do not put your sim in yet
When setup is complete, connect to wifi, wait a few minutes, enable Dev Options and OEM Unlock should be possible to enable and you can put your SIM back in

Having a service provider sim in the device seems to screw it up and make it think its a sim locked device

Reactions: Syntaxerror_s

smgoller

Feb 24, 2015
On a positive note, these instructions worked for me!

I got my Pixel 6a a week ago. Now did the steps with update and factory reset. OEM unlock was grayed out until step 9 + an additional reboot. Oddly enough, the first reboot was not enough.
This worked for me as well. Worked after step 8, I forgot to reboot before going into developer mode.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Remove your google account, remove your SIM, do the OTA, then factory reset.
Go through setup without connecting to wifi, do not put your sim in yet
When setup is complete, connect to wifi, wait a few minutes, enable Dev Options and OEM Unlock should be possible to enable and you can put your SIM back in

Having a service provider sim in the device seems to screw it up and make it think its a sim locked device
Possibly but when I first got the phone it was not unlockable. Then the next day the update came and I factory reset and unlock was available. But I had my Verizon sim in the whole time along with an activated eSim. So perhaps other providers will block it but Verizon did not on my unlocked version bought from BB.

Possibly but when I first got the phone it was not unlockable. Then the next day the update came and I factory reset and unlock was available. But I had my Verizon sim in the whole time along with an activated eSim. So perhaps other providers will block it but Verizon did not on my unlocked version bought from BB.

So far, an AT&T and Verizon SIM have kept OEM Unlock disabled after a factory reset for me, but that's not to say all of them will do that.

D

Deleted member 10740347

So far, an AT&T and Verizon SIM have kept OEM Unlock disabled after a factory reset for me, but that's not to say all of them will do that.
I use att and am able to toggle it. I don't think its the carrier locking it. Google may be slacking for some reason

Lada333

Feb 7, 2016
Budapest
OnePlus 3T
Google Pixel 6a
@bobby janow You forgot to type a response when you quoted me. :) It just seemed like when you said something about a list that maybe you had posted that in the wrong thread, since I didn't notice anything else in the thread that made sense for that response.

Edit: Oh, you edited it now. Nevermind. :) I understand now.

Although the first search result only lists:

GSMArena only lists three:
What number are we supposed to look for here?
I just got my 6a yesterday, from Google, allegedly unlocked, but OEM unlocking option is greyed out for me as well.
I went ahead and checked the regulatory labels, says my model number is G1AZG.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
What number are we supposed to look for here?
I just got my 6a yesterday, from Google, allegedly unlocked, but OEM unlocking option is greyed out for me as well.
I went ahead and checked the regulatory labels, says my model number is G1AZG.
You seem to have found your model number fine, so I'm not clear on if you still have a question relating to "What number are we supposed to look for here?".

Try removing the SIM card, factory reset, and connect to Wi-Fi, then check if you can enable OEM unlocking.

Reactions: Syntaxerror_s

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just want to post here to warn anyone considering buying this piece of trash phone to think again, and choose a different model. I never would have bought a google phone in the first place because I fully expected issues like this from an awful corporation like google, but I wanted to try GrapheneOS and pixels are the only option..

I bought an unlocked phone and I am unable to enable unlocking no matter what I try. I got it on sale for a good price, forgot about it until the return window closed, and now I am stuck with this POS that refuses to let me enable unlocking. I have tried sideloading the latest updates, factory reset probably 30 times, nothing works.

This is completely unacceptable. My $300 device that I OWN should not have to phone home to google, in the process sending them my wifi local data and god knows what else, just to allow me to use it the way I want. The modern state of technology is truly pitiful, and big brother google sure as heck doesn't care about anyone they can't profile and make money off of. I'm convinced at this point that this is just blatant datamining. Honestly I'm about to just throw this thing out the window and try to forget about it.

Update: using public wifi and running some sort of '''update''' (even though I had already sideloaded the most recent OTA...) has enabled OEM unlocking. I would still advise anyone to not purchase this phone if they care about privacy and don't want to feed google their data. Walking down to the shopping center in the cold was a pain in the a** but after having given google $300 of my hard-earned dollars I refuse to give them a single iota more. This is blatant datamining, not a 'bug' and a big F U to those of us who prefer to use custom android builds and generally expect to own the devices we pay for. Death to google I say, and if GrapheneOS wasn't so promising I would just sell this thing on ebay.
    9. Reboot device.

HEY THIS MIGHT WORK FOR U!

Was having the same issue, nothing seemed to be working.
    I had success finally, though!
    1. Be sure you realize your phone will be wiped, etc.
    2. Airplane Mode & No SIM inserted.
    3. Remove All Accounts From Phone (to prevent issues with locks, etc)
    4. Make sure you can put the phone in fastboot & adb modes
    I put the phone in various modes to test, and ended up doing this:

[ REBOOT PHONE INTO SIDELOAD MODE VIA: ]

Code:
    $ adb reboot sideload
    Once the phone is ready to accept the side load OTA package, push that happy bullsh1t right on down the USB cable to the phone via:

Code:
    adb sideload ~/MagicalGarbageDump/bluejay-ota-sd2a.220601.003-ddfde1f7.zip

From the OTA file downloaded directly from Google at THIS SITE. It's this one:

12.1.0 (SD2A.220601.003, Jun 2022)Linkddfde1f7edcdbb2b3de41d24f6c3f31587f836f387cab4cc6d16adee32bcab8a

After downloading and flashing that OTA, I had to "reset to factory settings" about two more times, seemingly randomly, and then it worked!
    I made sure to have:

- NO SIM CARD IN THE PHONE.
    - NO WIRELESS NETWORKS CONNECTED.

I am kind of annoyed it seemingly randomly decided to work, but also grateful that it finally unfzcked itself.
    I bought my 6a from the Google Store. I live in Hungary, unfortunately Google doesn't ship to Hungary, so I had a friend of mine ship the device to me from Germany.
    I booted up the phone, put my Hungarian Telekom SIM card in, set up everything normally. There was an update with a size of about 50 MB. Even after installing that + rebooting, in developer settings OEM unlocking is still greyed out, saying "Connect to the internet or contact your carrier." The second half of this message got me worried a bit - thinking it can only be unlocked with a German SIM? (That's probably nonsense though).

I'm not super keen on rooting yet. I want to use the phone for a few weeks/months, just to see if everything is in order. Realistically, I'd only use Magisk to be able to use Advanced Charging Controller.

--

Apologies if this is super off-topic, but I've just noticed that there is a system update available that would upgrade me to Android 13. I've read about some nasty stuff about it (especially how the new bootloader (?) makes it basically impossible to root/unlock), so I'd rather postpone it for a while. Is my phone going to automatically download and install this update? If so, is there any way for me to prevent that from happening?
    First thing you need to do is factory reset after the 50 mb update. That will allow OEM unlock. After that upgrade to A13 it's a needed update. Don't worry about root yet.
    Perhaps you can close this redundant thread since you cross posted to this one and it already has over 200 posts.