Question Pixel 7 Pro bricked?

Search This thread

iplux

Oct 11, 2021
I've tried flashing patched boot.img file from the December update with the january rom, because patched boot.img file from january update wasn't working. The phone rebooted twice, displayed a message that the phone failed to boot and gave me options to either restart and try again or factory reset. I chose restart and the phone is since then bricked. Black screen, occasionally if i hold some buttons it flashes faintly but thats all. If i connect it to a pc, it is able to connect after holding some buttons for 2-3 seconds as a COM device, but then it disconnects again.

Also apparently i forgot that p7p was different and did the whole thing with boot.img instead of init_boot.img.

Last edited:

mackdacre

Jul 8, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I've tried flashing patched boot.img file from the December update with the january rom, because patched boot.img file from january update wasn't working. The phone rebooted twice, displayed a message that the phone failed to boot and gave me options to either restart and try again or factory reset. I chose restart and the phone is since then bricked. Black screen, occasionally if i hold some buttons it flashes faintly but thats all. If i connect it to a pc, it is able to connect after holding some buttons for 2-3 seconds as a COM device, but then it disconnects again.

Also apparently i forgot that p7p was different and did the whole thing with boot.img instead of init_boot.img.
Is it out of battery?

iplux

Oct 11, 2021
hello have you tried pixel flasher?
i will try now, but i dont think it'll work since the pc doesn't recognize the phone. i can make the phone somehow connect to the pc for 2 secs, but it connects as COM device and instantly disconnects after that.

Edit: it did not work

Reactions: jejemc

iplux

Oct 11, 2021
and holding the power button and volume up or down for a while does nothing?
correct. power + vol up, power + vol down, all 3 buttons pressed at the same time - nothing, all nothing. I'm able to make the screen for a brief second if i connect the phone to charge and press all 3 buttons or volume down + power, but that's all.

iplux

Oct 11, 2021
alas it means sending it sav I don't see what else to do.
small update, i just noticed that the phone is slightly warm, so its definitely on and doing something in the background with the screen completely off. I will give it a night to completely discharge and see if i can get it to show literally anything on the screen. If not, i gotta think of a way to ship it to the UK so it can get fixed, because i'm in a non supported region sadly.

Reactions: jejemc

iplux

Oct 11, 2021
Have you tried holding down the power button for 15 seconds?

yup, sometimes that makes the screen flash for a split second and then nothing. tried pretty much any combination for up to 30 secs. sometimes its a single screen flash, sometimes it flashes twice. It's barely visible.

oko17

Dec 25, 2011
Try it even longer than 30 seconds (up to maybe 60 seconds) , I also had some problem with my P7P stuck and needed to push it really long

iplux

Oct 11, 2021
Just to see if I understand better, so the phone is on but the screen doesn't work as it should?
i was on december android update with magisk installed. i tried today to install january update today - i patched the boot.img file (yes, i know it should've been init_boot.img), replaced the original boot file with the patched one on my pc and flashed the new january rom with "-w" parameter removed. That however didn't work (obvious reasons), i had no root. I then decided that the new boot.img file from the january update might have some issues , and decided to flash the january update with replaced boot.img patched from december update (again with -w parameter removed). The phone took it all, then the google logo popped up... after a few seconds it restarted and the google logo popped up again... it once again didnt boot, and restarted, but after the 3rd restart i was greeted with a message from the bootloader (i assume) that the system failed to load twice, and i was presented with 2 options - "restart and try again" or "factory reset the system". I chose restart, and the screen went black and that was all. (it was only after all of this happened when i realized that everything happened because i was patching the boot.img instead of init_boot.img).

Now the screen is black, no matter which button combination i am trying. Sometimes the screen flashes once or twice when i hold some buttons, but that aside- nothing. I assume the phone is still doing something in the background, because if i leave it on my bed sheets and touch it after awhile, the back is a bit warm, so obviously something is working, but im certain its not the OS.

febo17

Oct 27, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
i was on december android update with magisk installed. i tried today to install january update today - i patched the boot.img file (yes, i know it should've been init_boot.img), replaced the original boot file with the patched one on my pc and flashed the new january rom with "-w" parameter removed. That however didn't work (obvious reasons), i had no root. I then decided that the new boot.img file from the january update might have some issues , and decided to flash the january update with replaced boot.img patched from december update (again with -w parameter removed). The phone took it all, then the google logo popped up... after a few seconds it restarted and the google logo popped up again... it once again didnt boot, and restarted, but after the 3rd restart i was greeted with a message from the bootloader (i assume) that the system failed to load twice, and i was presented with 2 options - "restart and try again" or "factory reset the system". I chose restart, and the screen went black and that was all. (it was only after all of this happened when i realized that everything happened because i was patching the boot.img instead of init_boot.img).

Now the screen is black, no matter which button combination i am trying. Sometimes the screen flashes once or twice when i hold some buttons, but that aside- nothing. I assume the phone is still doing something in the background, because if i leave it on my bed sheets and touch it after awhile, the back is a bit warm, so obviously something is working, but im certain its not the OS.
I hope you solve it, good luck and stay tuned

Reactions: iplux

iplux

Oct 11, 2021
Since this is a very new device, I suggest contacting Google for warranty repair, because that will be much easier than trying to diagnose what works and what doesn't, as well as trying to recover the device. You have a warranty; use it.
I most likely will, i just don't want to because im in Bulgaria (a country where they dont sell the phone) which means i have to find a way to send the phone to the UK, and they will probably refuse to ship it back.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I most likely will, i just don't want to because im in Bulgaria (a country where they dont sell the phone) which means i have to find a way to send the phone to the UK, and they will probably refuse to ship it back.
Ah. Well...without the screen working, there isn't much you can do, beyond seek repair in your own country. If the screen isn't working, it's usually due to either of 2 reasons, both of which require specialty repair:
  • The screen and/or display controller are defective and must be replaced
  • The bootloader is corrupted and the mainboard must be replaced
The tools required to rescue a device with a corrupted bootloader are not publicly available, unfortunately.

This is kinda crazy....
this is probably the first time/instance I've seen where tripping up the init_boot partition (with the boot.img used instead) caused this bad of a problem! Since the Pixel 7's changed things to init_boot, there have been very many people that have gotten tripped up flashing the boot.img to it, but it usually just results as a bootloop and a simple reflashing of the stock init_boot properly fixes things!

Are you sure you tried completely draining the battery? A hard reset can sometimes do wonders...

If Google doesn't "play ball", I'm sure you could find some 3rd party repair company/shop that would -- of course this will also cost money though...

Hopefully it works out for you OP!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: Apparently from what i can see and understand, they pretty much replaced the whole phone at the repair shop.
    A week ago, I encountered similar problems when I was ROOT on my Pixel6Pro: I mistakenly regarded the vendor_boot file as a boot file (in fact, it is universal on Qualcomm devices) and handed it to Magisk, but Magisk showed that the patch was successful. (Even if the file is incorrect) Then I flash into my pixel6pro on the file output by magisk on Fastboot, but the phone refused (at this time I did not know that the file was incorrect). After I tried many times, the pixel6pro was stuck on the BootLoader (Fastboot) interface and refused to connect with the PC. In addition, my pixel 6Pro disabled the power button at the same time (the system cannot be started by pressing the power button). I can only use Vol + / Vol- to change the startup option, but the power button does not work. By looking for customer service, I found a solution: reset the bootloader, it is very simple, just press and hold the Power Button and Volume Down for 45 seconds twice.When finished, power button was allowed to work and successfully reboot system At this point, the phone resets applications other than user data, such as the camera, which will return to the original version.
    By looking for customer service, I found a solution: reset the bootloader, it is very simple, just press and hold the Power Button and Volume Down for 45 seconds and repeat the system twice. At this point, the phone resets applications other than user data, such as the camera, which will return to the original version.
    I've definitely tried that, and it didn't work. I sent the phone at the repair center, i got the receipt that they've changed the battery, motherboard and display. So they pretty much gave me a new phone. It's arriving tomorrow, i'll update when i get it
    This is kinda crazy....
    this is probably the first time/instance I've seen where tripping up the init_boot partition (with the boot.img used instead) caused this bad of a problem! Since the Pixel 7's changed things to init_boot, there have been very many people that have gotten tripped up flashing the boot.img to it, but it usually just results as a bootloop and a simple reflashing of the stock init_boot properly fixes things!

Are you sure you tried completely draining the battery? A hard reset can sometimes do wonders...

If Google doesn't "play ball", I'm sure you could find some 3rd party repair company/shop that would -- of course this will also cost money though...

Hopefully it works out for you OP!
    Since this is a very new device, I suggest contacting Google for warranty repair, because that will be much easier than trying to diagnose what works and what doesn't, as well as trying to recover the device. You have a warranty; use it.
    hello have you tried pixel flasher?
    i will try now, but i dont think it'll work since the pc doesn't recognize the phone. i can make the phone somehow connect to the pc for 2 secs, but it connects as COM device and instantly disconnects after that.

Edit: it did not work
    alas it means sending it sav I don't see what else to do.
    small update, i just noticed that the phone is slightly warm, so its definitely on and doing something in the background with the screen completely off. I will give it a night to completely discharge and see if i can get it to show literally anything on the screen. If not, i gotta think of a way to ship it to the UK so it can get fixed, because i'm in a non supported region sadly.

I hope you solve it, good luck and stay tuned