Question Pixel 7 Pro losing cellular connection and unable to reconnect

Search This thread

domi_niku

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I live in Boston metro area with abundant LTE/5G coverage, but drive through two nearly dead zones, each of them lasts just a few seconds. My previous phone would not stop YouTube playback going through those areas. My Pixel 7 Pro loses connection for ~5 minutes completely and then reconnects via EDGE even though strong 5G is available. I have to toggle the airplane mode for it to connect to the correct network.

I'm on Mint/T-Mobile and this has been happening every day. Is it a software bug or is my Pixel defective? Thanks for any ideas, I still have a week to decide if I should return it :(

z3nith66

Apr 19, 2012
Bucharest
I have the same problem. Whenever there's a slight interruption of service the Pixel can't reconnect for minutes. I have to enable and disable airplane mode a couple times.
Bonus, if I just leave it it disconnects from the network randomly. I miss A LOT of calls. And people tell me that the calls take a long time to connect either way.
I'll be returning it if it doesn't get an update in a week or so.

Reactions: domi_niku

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I live in Boston metro area with abundant LTE/5G coverage, but drive through two nearly dead zones, each of them lasts just a few seconds. My previous phone would not stop YouTube playback going through those areas. My Pixel 7 Pro loses connection for ~5 minutes completely and then reconnects via EDGE even though strong 5G is available. I have to toggle the airplane mode for it to connect to the correct network.

I'm on Mint/T-Mobile and this has been happening every day. Is it a software bug or is my Pixel defective? Thanks for any ideas, I still have a week to decide if I should return it :(
I don't know if this will help, but...

I believe EDGE uses 2G. Maybe turn off "Allow 2G" in Settings>Network & internet>Sims>Allow 2G. Hopefully this will stop it from connecting to EDGE and instead connect back to your strong 5G or LTE.

Reactions: binoysankar

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Google Pixel 7 Pro
If you have taken the .031 update, which fixed that issue for me, then it's possible you may have a defective unit. I have had zero issues with signal handoff and I'm even taxing the modem even more by running dual SIM in DSDS mode. I have been incredibly happy with this device's reception. I would even say it's been better than my OnePlus 9 with the X60 modem as 5G standby drained my battery super fast, about 1.6%/hr in a high signal area, compared to half that on my 7 Pro with dual SIM active.

z3nith66

Apr 19, 2012
Bucharest
If you have taken the .031 update, which fixed that issue for me, then it's possible you may have a defective unit. I have had zero issues with signal handoff and I'm even taxing the modem even more by running dual SIM in DSDS mode. I have been incredibly happy with this device's reception. I would even say it's been better than my OnePlus 9 with the X60 modem as 5G standby drained my battery super fast, about 1.6%/hr in a high signal area, compared to half that on my 7 Pro with dual SIM active.
What's this update you're talking about?

z3nith66

Apr 19, 2012
Bucharest
I got my phone on release day and there was an update waiting to go to TD1A.220804.031. Until I took that update I was seeing that ! every 10 minutes or so. It was pretty bad. Haven't seen it since unless I'm switching my SIMs around.
Oh I'm on the beta as Android Auto wouldn't work on that one. It got better after I reset Carrier Services but it still has issues.
I'm losing calls, they just don't connect, even on 4G LTE with full bars. A friend has the same thing. These things are not ok.

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Oh I'm on the beta as Android Auto wouldn't work on that one. It got better after I reset Carrier Services but it still has issues.
I'm losing calls, they just don't connect, even on 4G LTE with full bars. A friend has the same thing. These things are not ok.
I'm on the beta as well and still having no connectivity problems so I guess I should consider myself lucky. The worst I have is some outsized drain when I have a weak signal but it's still not terrible (about 2.2%/hr in my partner's basement).

morphius88

Dec 12, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Sony Xperia 1 III
I got my phone on release day and there was an update waiting to go to TD1A.220804.031. Until I took that update I was seeing that ! every 10 minutes or so. It was pretty bad. Haven't seen it since unless I'm switching my SIMs around.
This issue happens to me from time to time too. Weird but mine shipped with .031 (picked up on 10/21 at best buy). But I guess it was worse before that.

Reactions: EtherealRemnant

zsguerreiro

Nov 5, 2022
Were you able to fix this? I have the same issue, the phone is just unusable. Such a shame as I really like the device...

MetroWestMA

Apr 7, 2018
I came from a OnePlus 8 Pro (what a great phone BTW), and found the Pixel 6 Pro had worse connectivity. The Pixel 7 Pro seems to have fixed all that and some bluetooth issues I was having with certain headsets on the Pixel 6 Pro.

One trick on any modern 5G phone -- if you are having issues -- the switching between 5G, 5G UC, and LTE can be disruptive. If this is constantly happening just switch it to LTE, chances are you'll get better reception and at the same or even faster speeds.

For example, a Six Flags a few weeks ago, 5G was constant problems while forcing LTE worked fine 100% of the time.

Reactions: jaseman

zsguerreiro

Nov 5, 2022
I've tried switching off 5g, switching off 2g, switched off adaptive connectivity...no results, still useless

zsguerreiro

Nov 5, 2022
How about your APN settings? Have you tried a network reset? If none of those things helps you may have a defective phone! It can happen with any brand.
Yes, tried resetting the APN as well, also swapped esim and sim to another phone and works flawlessly...it may be a defective unit but there are many users complaining so there has to be a lot of defective units...

Reactions: bocabakra

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
Yes, tried resetting the APN as well, also swapped esim and sim to another phone and works flawlessly...it may be a defective unit but there are many users complaining so there has to be a lot of defective units...
Well, I am not using an esim with a psim. Only a psim here and running on Mint (T-Mobile) and I have zero issues. Either some setting, or conflicting network settings between the two sims...OR a defective phone is your issue. I would bet dimes-to-dollars that it is NOT the phone. YMMV

tom beckett

Jan 7, 2008
Hmm happy to see i am not alone...... I have already post on this forum for this same pb.

I am full 4G....i try to make a call, instantly when i push call button, lose connection....must wait and maybe 4G and more in EDGE.

When i am in 4G impossible to call or receive....

So i have a phone with impossible to call or receive.......

SO NICE ????

For me, i am sure is the last F/W (31) who suck.

Why ?

Because, my phone work, after upate (31) just after reboot must wait 7 min to have network...never before....

SO last week end, i will downgrade to first F/W (A2)

Problem is solved for me.

I have locked all automatic update in developper menu.

Sometimes i have notification for update, but i don't care..........

Incredible but work for me, i think you must try...i don't see another solution for this ****ing problem

I had use the official tool : https://flash.android.com/

Top Liked Posts

What you mean with re-flash radio?
    There is a magic where you just re-flash radio firmware?
    No magic, you flash the radio with Fastboot. fastboot flash radio radio_file_name
    Root required? And what you mean with standard google package? we are on standard build - factory installed, or updated with November OTA.
    Root is not required to flash with Fastboot. However, an unlocked bootloader is required.
    I came from a OnePlus 8 Pro (what a great phone BTW), and found the Pixel 6 Pro had worse connectivity. The Pixel 7 Pro seems to have fixed all that and some bluetooth issues I was having with certain headsets on the Pixel 6 Pro.

One trick on any modern 5G phone -- if you are having issues -- the switching between 5G, 5G UC, and LTE can be disruptive. If this is constantly happening just switch it to LTE, chances are you'll get better reception and at the same or even faster speeds.

For example, a Six Flags a few weeks ago, 5G was constant problems while forcing LTE worked fine 100% of the time.
    How about your APN settings? Have you tried a network reset? If none of those things helps you may have a defective phone! It can happen with any brand.
    Download November image & clean flash it.
    I'm installing TD1A.221105.001 right now, but I don't have high hopes of this fixing anything, since these issues seem to go back to a year ago, and Google keeps fixing something while breaking something else with the cell connection. I guess I got what I deserved by hoping that this will magically get fixed, despite a proven record of incompetence from the team handling the phone connection. (If "incompetence" sounds harsh, I can justify my opinion.)

Well, while it's obvious that I cannot make a call or access the internet, I have no clue that somebody might be trying to reach me, and every once in a while I expect a call I really don't want to miss. Until P7P, I didn't even have to think about this. The signal was good enough pretty much anywhere for my previous phones to connect.

So something I'm considering doing is write a small app to beep when the phone lost the cell connection, so I can start the Voodoo practices of turning the airplane mode on and off or restarting the phone, or whatever else worked for somebody. It will drain the battery, but I'm fine with this. As this isn't some genius idea, I expect others have thought of it before, and perhaps implemented it, but I wasn't able to find such an app.

So I wonder if anybody here knows of such an app, which notifies you when you lost your cell connection.
    Yall must have done something right, Sim Manager was updated today.
    I used to have this same exact issue with my pixel 6 pro and wouldn't be fixed no matter what I did. I traded it in for my p7p and haven't had that issue since. You should replace it while you can and hopefully it won't happen again
    I have the same problem. Whenever there's a slight interruption of service the Pixel can't reconnect for minutes. I have to enable and disable airplane mode a couple times.
    Bonus, if I just leave it it disconnects from the network randomly. I miss A LOT of calls. And people tell me that the calls take a long time to connect either way.
    I'll be returning it if it doesn't get an update in a week or so.

I don't know if this will help, but...

I believe EDGE uses 2G. Maybe turn off "Allow 2G" in Settings>Network & internet>Sims>Allow 2G. Hopefully this will stop it from connecting to EDGE and instead connect back to your strong 5G or LTE.
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

It still takes a long time before it connects to the 2G network and all I see is an exclamation mark next to zero bars.
    What's this update you're talking about?