Question Pixel 7 Pro losing cellular connection and unable to reconnect

Search This thread

xpact

Apr 14, 2010
The update also does not really solve the problem of connection?
It did solve mine for now or at least made the things better I did not see the exclamation mark ("!") next to my signal. And now I am able to make phone calls even if I stop the Mobile Data, I was not able before. I have tried the beta QPR 1 but it was not good. I did a wipe and clean install of the December update and it is fine now , how ever I have stayed only in urban areas and I have suspicion the reception is not that good compared to Pixel 2 XL for example.

drmoeed

Sep 14, 2013
Lahore
Well, my problems started after the OTA update of latest QPR1 with December patch ...
Now in an extreme agonizing situation, missing calls, no LTE ...
Have performed all tantrums of 2G, 5G and DSDA blah blah ...
Nothing working ...
Should I downgrade to A1 update ? What I perceived reading all this thread.

Reactions: itiskonrad

noodles222

Nov 20, 2009
HI all,

FOr sure there is a problem with December Update. I am from Slovakia, I have tried two brand new Pixel 7s.. Once it is on TD1A.220804.009.A2, connection and calls are OK.. once you install December update, its over. So far I stay with TD1A.220804.009.A2 and via developer options I have blocked installing automatic updates.

• Wow
Reactions: swieder711

drmoeed

Sep 14, 2013
Lahore
Well, my problems started after the OTA update of latest QPR1 with December patch ...
Now in an extreme agonizing situation, missing calls, no LTE ...
Have performed all tantrums of 2G, 5G and DSDA blah blah ...
Nothing working ...
Should I downgrade to A1 update ? What I perceived reading all this thread.
HI all,

FOr sure there is a problem with December Update. I am from Slovakia, I have tried two brand new Pixel 7s.. Once it is on TD1A.220804.009.A2, connection and calls are OK.. once you install December update, its over. So far I stay with TD1A.220804.009.A2 and via developer options I have blocked installing automatic updates.
Exactly ditto.
My situation.
I also clean flashed this A2 built and turned off the auto-updates.
And now I have absolutely NO issues regarding signals drop or missing any calls.
QPR1 with December security patch crashed my phone.

Ytujok

Nov 10, 2022
I managed to use the latest firmware TQ1A.221205.011 I changed the region of the radio station from Europe to Japan. *#*#4636#*#* - information about the phone - three dots at the top - select a radio station - press Japan. Then I turned off 2g, set the priority type of connection to LTE, now everything is in order with calls, it helped me.

kahaips

Jun 23, 2013
I have T-Mobile service and recently added a 2nd line on Tello, and have been keeping track of the various frequency bands the phone connects on. Tello's connectivity mimics TMO connectivity. I use the Network Cell Info app but one can use its Lite version, too. On the Pixel 7 Pro, when I toggle the Use SIM button under the SIMs menu, it connects on 5G band 2, eventually switches to 41, then to band N1. What's important here is that both bands 2 & 41 are shown as NSA (Non-Stand Alone) bands on the Network Cell Info app and N1 is a SA (Stand Alone) band. I see 5G UC next to the signal bar on both the NSA bands. However, as soon as the phone switches to band N1, it loses network connectivity and I see the ! sign on the signal bar. I still see 5G UC next to the signal bar but there is no network connectivity.

Screenshot_20221212-131751.png

Screenshot_20221212-132009.png

Screenshot_20221212-132016.png

My gut feeling is that T-Mobile is restricting access to SA bands for MVNOs like Tello and Mint. Given that their service is very inexpensive, TMO may be reserving its SA bands for MVNOs that charge more for their service than Tello does. The natural tendency for Pixel 7 Pro is to move to SA band where available and therein may lie its compatibility problem with Tello. The good thing is that if one forces phone to stay on LTE, one gets LTE+ connectivity on the Pixel 7 Pro. I haven't tested the speeds on LTE+, though.

I also have a TMO Samsung Galaxy Flip 4 for my TMO service. Since the phone is locked to TMO, it won't allow the use of Tello SIM in it. I know I can try a temporary unlock on it, then put the Tello SIM to see if its behavior is similar to what I see on the Pixel.

I am not sure if anyone has observed and done what I have but hope this leads to some understanding of the problem. I am going to report this to Tello to see if they will work with TMO to allow use of SA bands on the Pixel.

EtherealRemnant

I have T-Mobile service and recently added a 2nd line on Tello, and have been keeping track of the various frequency bands the phone connects on. Tello's connectivity mimics TMO connectivity. I use the Network Cell Info app but one can use its Lite version, too. On the Pixel 7 Pro, when I toggle the Use SIM button under the SIMs menu, it connects on 5G band 2, eventually switches to 41, then to band N1. What's important here is that both bands 2 & 41 are shown as NSA (Non-Stand Alone) bands on the Network Cell Info app and N1 is a SA (Stand Alone) band. I see 5G UC next to the signal bar on both the NSA bands. However, as soon as the phone switches to band N1, it loses network connectivity and I see the ! sign on the signal bar. I still see 5G UC next to the signal bar but there is no network connectivity.

View attachment 5783687

View attachment 5783689

View attachment 5783691

My gut feeling is that T-Mobile is restricting access to SA bands for MVNOs like Tello and Mint. Given that their service is very inexpensive, TMO may be reserving its SA bands for MVNOs that charge more for their service than Tello does. The natural tendency for Pixel 7 Pro is to move to SA band where available and therein may lie its compatibility problem with Tello. The good thing is that if one forces phone to stay on LTE, one gets LTE+ connectivity on the Pixel 7 Pro. I haven't tested the speeds on LTE+, though.

I also have a TMO Samsung Galaxy Flip 4 for my TMO service. Since the phone is locked to TMO, it won't allow the use of Tello SIM in it. I know I can try a temporary unlock on it, then put the Tello SIM to see if its behavior is similar to what I see on the Pixel.

I am not sure if anyone has observed and done what I have but hope this leads to some understanding of the problem. I am going to report this to Tello to see if they will work with TMO to allow use of SA bands on the Pixel.
Yeah it's been known since May that it's an SA problem.

Interesting the n1 though because that's not a band we use in the states.

You can try this to fix your Tello problem. Don't change the MVNO value that populates when you select GID for the type as it's not the same for Tello as it is for Mint but people have been reporting this to fix their connectivity.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mintmobile/comments/zeev10

kahaips

Jun 23, 2013
Yeah it's been known since May that it's an SA problem.

Interesting the n1 though because that's not a band we use in the states.

You can try this to fix your Tello problem. Don't change the MVNO value that populates when you select GID for the type as it's not the same for Tello as it is for Mint but people have been reporting this to fix their connectivity.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mintmobile/comments/zeev10
Yes, tried this. It was recommended by Tello support but the result is the same as I have described in my post. At this time, I took Tello's service more for multifactor authentication as some websites do not allow using Google Voice number as an option for it; I do not want to use my TMO cell number for that. So, as long as I am able to send and receive SMS, I am fine restricting the phone to LTE connectivity.

Yes, I am aware that we do not use band N1 here in the US. Why it shows-up in the Network Cell Info app is beyond me!

And, seriously, thank you. I did not realize that it was a known SA problem. AT least we are on the same page with that.

EtherealRemnant

Yes, tried this. It was recommended by Tello support but the result is the same as I have described in my post. At this time, I took Tello's service more for multifactor authentication as some websites do not allow using Google Voice number as an option for it; I do not want to use my TMO cell number for that. So, as long as I am able to send and receive SMS, I am fine restricting the phone to LTE connectivity.

Yes, I am aware that we do not use band N1 here in the US. Why it shows-up in the Network Cell Info app is beyond me!

And, seriously, thank you. I did not realize that it was a known SA problem. AT least we are on the same page with that.
Tello seems unwilling to admit that it's an SA issue but on my OnePlus 9 I was able to completely resolve it by using the developer option they give in OOS12/13 to switch the 5G network mode from NSA/SA to just NSA. It was just a hunch as I noticed that my signal would be much stronger than normal indoors when the data would drop and that's suggestive of being on n71.

Interestingly, converting my Tello pSIM to eSIM completely shut off SA on my Pixel 7 Pro so I haven't had to deal with the problem again. Unfortunately this didn't work for everyone who tried it or it only worked for a short period of time before it stopped working again.

I wish Google would just give us control over the 5G network mode.

kahaips

Jun 23, 2013

Just saw this article:

Applying update as we speak. Maybe this will help but if Tello doesn't support it, at least I know my TMO connection will be solid.

kahaips

Jun 23, 2013
Just saw this article:

Applying update as we speak. Maybe this will help but if Tello doesn't support it, at least I know my TMO connection will be solid.
Ok, good news to report. Android 13 QPR2 Beta 1 now has no apparent 5G issues. It works; no more exclamation sign on the signal bar.

Screenshot_20221213-141257.png

Another feature? Vo5G option now available in SIM Settings.

Screenshot_20221213-135924.png

Hopefully, this is the start of something good!

Reactions: EtherealRemnant

ciobi

Sep 8, 2012
Cool, I just about finished writing mine. (I'm supposedly on the latest things but still got many disconnects today.)

Well, I'll give NetMonitor a try. It seems to do many things, which hopefully include everything that I did, which is an MVP.
Indeed, NetMonitor seems good enough to detect disconnects, but one issue I have with it is that I can't figure out how to make it sound an alarm continuously once the phone is disconnected (in case I'm in a noisy area and don't hear it the first time). So I also published my own app, which is much simpler - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tech.ciobi.cellchecker

All it does is beep if the cell provider got disconnected, so you can start enabling and disabling airplane mode.

Reactions: madgit

itiskonrad

Dec 5, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just confirming that December update ruined my signal as well. I went from having to reset my connection daily on my 6 pro to never having to do it once on my 7 pro, and back to having to reset it DAILY after the December update. It's like I'm back on my 6 pro 😭😭😭

bocabakra

Nov 22, 2022
its really lame ass stuff from google, now i'm restarting my 7P whenever I'm moving out of wifi zones. its really so bad that within a 100 meter zone i'm disconnected from cellular. Restarting is the only thing which works. feels like i'm back with some Windows 98 shizz

Reactions: kenbrownstone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used to have this same exact issue with my pixel 6 pro and wouldn't be fixed no matter what I did. I traded it in for my p7p and haven't had that issue since. You should replace it while you can and hopefully it won't happen again
    I hope that beta radio file get released in the December update. I'm getting way too many exclamation points on Verizon.
    I flashed the beta radio when I was on the November build and it was still the same for me. They did mention a fix they specifically did in the beta in regards to UW. So if everything or majority of the fixes from 3-3.1 will make it into the Dec build it'll help a lot.
    Flashed the beta and it seems to have improved the issue for me. Got the exclamation mark yesterday and instead of staying that way my device switched to LTE. Then moments later it reconnected to 5G whereas on stable it would just stay without data until the airplane toggle. Also, on the beta on Verizon I'm getting 5G UWB more reliably as well as inside. On stable I would rarely get 5G UWB inside at my home.
    I live in Boston metro area with abundant LTE/5G coverage, but drive through two nearly dead zones, each of them lasts just a few seconds. My previous phone would not stop YouTube playback going through those areas. My Pixel 7 Pro loses connection for ~5 minutes completely and then reconnects via EDGE even though strong 5G is available. I have to toggle the airplane mode for it to connect to the correct network.

I'm on Mint/T-Mobile and this has been happening every day. Is it a software bug or is my Pixel defective? Thanks for any ideas, I still have a week to decide if I should return it :(
    I don't know if this will help, but...

I believe EDGE uses 2G. Maybe turn off "Allow 2G" in Settings>Network & internet>Sims>Allow 2G. Hopefully this will stop it from connecting to EDGE and instead connect back to your strong 5G or LTE.
    I came from a OnePlus 8 Pro (what a great phone BTW), and found the Pixel 6 Pro had worse connectivity. The Pixel 7 Pro seems to have fixed all that and some bluetooth issues I was having with certain headsets on the Pixel 6 Pro.

One trick on any modern 5G phone -- if you are having issues -- the switching between 5G, 5G UC, and LTE can be disruptive. If this is constantly happening just switch it to LTE, chances are you'll get better reception and at the same or even faster speeds.

For example, a Six Flags a few weeks ago, 5G was constant problems while forcing LTE worked fine 100% of the time.