Question Pixel 7 pro size and comfort

Search This thread

Druantia

Dec 5, 2022
Hi All,

I'm torn between Pixel 7 and 7 Pro because of its size. I'm afraid I won't be able to get used to the 6.7" size and it will be awkwardly big. But the better camera, color, and design make this choice tough.

Is it comfortable to hold the 7 Pro? Isn't it frustratingly big? What are your thoughts on this?
I would appreciate any opinion about this which helps decide my dilemma.

• Haha
Reactions: zetsumeikuro

synesthete

Mar 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Google Nexus 5
LG Nexus 5X
What phone are you coming from? I went from the Pixel 3XL to the P7P and the P7P is about the same size. It is about the same with, but about a quarter inch taller. I think I have large hands, but I haven't really had an issue with the phone.

Reactions: Druantia

Druantia

Dec 5, 2022
I'm coming from a Huawei P10 (5.1"), so it would be a big difference :) I don't have small hands either, so maybe I just have to get used to it.

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
I prefer the size (and flat screen) of the 7, as for the camera being better, I'd say more flexible not better and so far the zoom is concerned it isn't a patch on what my P6P was, it is ok'ish as 5x but the colours are washed out and not consistant with 1x , it is pretty soft and it is disappointing at any zoom after that, the P6P zoom was very respectable even at 15X. Hopefully Google will work on it.

Having AF on the ultrawide is a negative for me as well, i am getting landscape shots where either the foreground or the background are out of focus depending on if there is something in the frame in the middle to near distance, they should have stuck with a fixed lens at a hyperfocal distance and not bothered with the macro IMHO.

Reactions: Druantia

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Hi All,

I'm torn between Pixel 7 and 7 Pro because of its size. I'm afraid I won't be able to get used to the 6.7" size and it will be awkwardly big. But the better camera, color, and design make this choice tough.

Is it comfortable to hold the 7 Pro? Isn't it frustratingly big? What are your thoughts on this?

The 6 and 7 pro's are *frustratingly SMALL*. They advertise a big screen, but they're incredibly NARROW screens and the display comes way too close to the edge of the phone without any bezels at all to hold onto it with.

Druantia

Dec 5, 2022
I prefer the size (and flat screen) of the 7, as for the camera being better, I'd say more flexible not better and so far the zoom is concerned it isn't a patch on what my P6P was, it is ok'ish as 5x but the colours are washed out and not consistant with 1x , it is pretty soft and it is disappointing at any zoom after that, the P6P zoom was very respectable even at 15X. Hopefully Google will work on it.

Having AF on the ultrawide is a negative for me as well, i am getting landscape shots where either the foreground or the background are out of focus depending on if there is something in the frame in the middle to near distance, they should have stuck with a fixed lens at a hyperfocal distance and not bothered with the macro IMHO.
Macro is a much more important aspect of the camera for me, I would choose the pro because of the macro rather than the zoom functions. I have no problem with the curved display, I really like the look of it. I agree ultrawide shouldn't be autofocus though.

Thanks!

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
I just think you can achieve the same result by cropping an image and the cropped version looks less of a digital mush, it it was a true macro where you could get the compound eye on a fly etc. then id be all for that.

Only reason i prefer a flat screen is for glass screen protectors and the screen itself is of course a little less prone to damage.

Druantia

Dec 5, 2022
Although I don't have the opportunity to test it myself, according to this site, you get much worse results when you crop the image:
Macro test

I heard that the curve is quite subtle, wonder if it helps with the slipperiness because I usually don't put any case on my phone.

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
When you open it fully you can see just how horrible the Pixel 7 Pro shot is, weirdly you can see more detail in the wood grain on the P7 shot which would imply they got the focusing just out.

As for the slippiness of the phone you will need a case or a skin, it is slippier than a block of wet ice competing in the wet ice championship on national wet ice week.

I've just taken a photo of my avatar on my 1440p monitor at 1X with macro on and 5x (no macro) at as near the closest i could get while keeping focus both are uncropped and as they came off the camera.

Attachments

• 1X Macro.jpg
    1X Macro.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • 5X.jpg
    5X.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16

chetly968

Jul 15, 2014
Paradise Valley
I just think you can achieve the same result by cropping an image and the cropped version looks less of a digital mush, it it was a true macro where you could get the compound eye on a fly etc. then id be all for that.

Only reason i prefer a flat screen is for glass screen protectors and the screen itself is of course a little less prone to damage.
+1 for the flatscreen

vurtomatic

Mar 22, 2015
I upgraded from a OnePlus 3. I was initially concerned about P7P's size but got used to it as most people suggest. I'm still not a fan of its proportions/width and the remote control look but it's one con—everything else about the phone has been a great experience.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

What phone are you coming from? I went from the Pixel 3XL to the P7P and the P7P is about the same size. It is about the same with, but about a quarter inch taller. I think I have large hands, but I haven't really had an issue with the phone.
    I'm coming from a Huawei P10 (5.1"), so it would be a big difference :) I don't have small hands either, so maybe I just have to get used to it.
    With the bezels on the p10 it won't be a huge size difference in the device itself. I think you will really like the 7 Pro vs the 7.
    Coming from a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra the p7p seems just right (i.e. smaller)