• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Pixel Gesture to quickly set phone to silent or vibrate mode?

Search This thread

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Having owned several OnePlus phones over the years, I have so gotten used to the side slider 'button' to quickly silence the phone.
I am seriously considering buying a Pixel 6 - but just wanted to know from Pixel5 owners etc, is there a way of configuring a gesture that would allow me to configure the alternative to the slide - i.e. would not need to unlock the phone etc in order to mute it and then un-mute it?
I don't mean when a call comes it etc, just when in its idle state and say I just remember in a meeting that it's not on silent...
I have tried to google this - but have not found a definitive answer...
Thanks!

Thanks - will look into that if I cant get used to the volume button+screen tap to mute.
I was also used to the OnePlus Do Not disturb slider, however, I think google is doing it here much better.

if you go to System >Gestures > and then select Flip to Shhh, this will activate the "Don Not Disturb"

The Explanation of this function says:

"To Turn on Do Not Disturb, place your phone face down on a flat surface. You'll feel a subtle vibration when the Do Not Disturb turns on"

When you then pick up the phone, the Do not Disturb is disabled. i use this all the time and it works quite well for me.

i hope this helps.

Attachments

• screen-20211031-122315.mp4
    18.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Thanks - I did check that feature out.
But it won't work for the kind of situation I often found the slider useful - e.g. the slider would allow me to silence the phone, whilst still in my pocket - if I remember during a meeting or something...

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Thanks @tiantianisfox - installed that - helps.

I also noticed that the Vibrate icon has vanished from the Status Bar for Android 12.
I had to install Super Status Bar to get that back for now.
I have send feedback to Google - hopefully if enough people complain, they will add it back later.

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Hi,
Just an FYI Update.
I have been trying out a few different apps.
I found that MacroDroid will let me configure the volume buttons to change the individual volume levels for calls, rings, media etc etc.
So, currently, I have set:
  • Volume up double-tap, to 'Volume Change' with specific volume levels for each item e.g. High Ringer Volume - but low notification volume. etc
  • Volume Down double-tap to 'Volume Change' with all volumes to zero and Enable Vibration
I will try this out for a few days - otherwise, the next option will be something like Tasker or Macrodroid) + Sound Profile app with the automation subscription.

UPDATE: The Volume Double tap did not work consistently, so I changed it to Volume Long Press - of which there are two variations.
The more useful Long Press has to be enabled via an ADB Hack and works even when the screen is locked.
You then have the option of using MacroDroid functionality to adjust the sound settings based on Up and Down button - including setting the Ringer Volume and Notifications volume independently (somethiing missing from Pixel 6 and many other phones).

SoundSettings.png
However, I prefer to use the Sound Profile app (+Automation subscription) - to activate the Sound Profile of my choice and it seems to offer better control over the volume levels. e.g. if I set the ringer volume to 100% in a Sound Profile, it is louder than if I set 100% in MacroDroid Sound settings.
In terms of notification/status icon, I prefer to use the Macrodroid Notification Icon rather than the Sound Profile one - as the Macrodroid one is shown on the Lock screen as well.

Change_Sound_Settings_With_Volume_Long_Press.png
The Send Intent looks something like (replace the Profile name as required):
MacroidSendIntent.png

Hope this helps!
I should add that you can send Intents to Sound Profile from Tasker and AutomateIt (and possible others) as well.

Last edited:

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
I installed this app/widget for it this morning - works like a charm and is fairly small so it doesn't look too out of place :cool:
Cool - but that would require me to take the phone out of my pocket and unlock it - before I could change the sound mode.
I was looking for something that would avoid unlocking the phone and avoid interacting with the screen - i.e. just by pressing a button..

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
Cool - but that would require me to take the phone out of my pocket and unlock it - before I could change the sound mode.
I was looking for something that would avoid unlocking the phone and avoid interacting with the screen - i.e. just by pressing a button..
Button Mapper can do it, before I found the above widget I used that. Had the Volume Up button long-press set to toggle silent/vibrate and it worked pretty good, so maybe give that a try?

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Button Mapper can do it, before I found the above widget I used that. Had the Volume Up button long-press set to toggle silent/vibrate and it worked pretty good, so maybe give that a try?
Thanks - but as I explained just earlier - button mapper only offers a toggle option - I could not map one button to Normal and the other to Vibrate.. So, I could not be certain when I use button mapper - whether I had set the phone to vibrate or not - without unlocking the phone and checking the sound settings

Reactions: Nimueh

Papote3

Dec 10, 2010
Isn't power + volume up working? This shortcut was introduced on Android 11 I think. It will quickly turn on vibrate only or just mute (you can change what it does in the settings)
Only issue is that I think it wont turn back to ring, it only goes one way

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Isn't power + volume up working? This shortcut was introduced on Android 11 I think. It will quickly turn on vibrate only or just mute (you can change what it does in the settings)
Only issue is that I think it wont turn back to ring, it only goes one way
Don't seem to work on the P6 - I disabled the Macrodroid before trying it out...
Power + Volume Up brings up a selection window with Emergency, Lockdown, Power Off + Restart buttons.

tiantianisfox

Dec 3, 2017
problem with tasker and button mapper is that the silent/vibrate/ring on pixel is actually do not disturb/vibrate/ring, so it is kinda inconvinient. i now uses "rules" in settings to trigger them.

Papote3

Dec 10, 2010

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
You can try the quick tap feature and make it to open this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=muter.muter

This is an extract from this article:

Haven't tried it before but it's worth a try
Hey - thanks. But I have the tap programmed for something else and I want to be able to switch to vibrate and normal with certainty - not a toggle back and for either.
My solution allows me to do that i.e. one button for normal mode and one for Vibrate mode - so no uncertainty as to what mode it is in.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    Just an FYI Update.
    I found that MacroDroid will let me configure the volume buttons to change the individual volume levels for calls, rings, media etc etc.
    • Volume up double-tap, to 'Volume Change' with specific volume levels for each item e.g. High Ringer Volume - but low notification volume. etc
    • Volume Down double-tap to 'Volume Change' with all volumes to zero and Enable Vibration
    I will try this out for a few days - otherwise, the next option will be something like Tasker or Macrodroid) + Sound Profile app with the automation subscription.

UPDATE: The Volume Double tap did not work consistently, so I changed it to Volume Long Press - of which there are two variations.
    The more useful Long Press has to be enabled via an ADB Hack and works even when the screen is locked.
    You then have the option of using MacroDroid functionality to adjust the sound settings based on Up and Down button - including setting the Ringer Volume and Notifications volume independently (somethiing missing from Pixel 6 and many other phones).

SoundSettings.png
    However, I prefer to use the Sound Profile app (+Automation subscription) - to activate the Sound Profile of my choice and it seems to offer better control over the volume levels. e.g. if I set the ringer volume to 100% in a Sound Profile, it is louder than if I set 100% in MacroDroid Sound settings.
    In terms of notification/status icon, I prefer to use the Macrodroid Notification Icon rather than the Sound Profile one - as the Macrodroid one is shown on the Lock screen as well.

MacroidSendIntent.png

Hope this helps!
    I should add that you can send Intents to Sound Profile from Tasker and AutomateIt (and possible others) as well.
    Thanks - but as I explained just earlier - button mapper only offers a toggle option - I could not map one button to Normal and the other to Vibrate.. So, I could not be certain when I use button mapper - whether I had set the phone to vibrate or not - without unlocking the phone and checking the sound settings
    same boat here. i installed an app called "button mapper", and have mapped long press vol+ to change vibration/sound, and long press vol- to turn off screen. force of a habit.
    Hi,
    Just an FYI Update.

SoundSettings.png

MacroidSendIntent.png

Hope this helps!