Pixel XL 128GB : Random freezing/reboot issue

Search This thread

markwebb

Jun 14, 2010
San Diego
just adding mine, never had any issues, had phone since pre-order delivered in Nov.

UFS: 128GB Toshiba
DRAM: 4096MB Samsung LPDDR4
My UFS is Toshiba but Dram is Hynix.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Omg I've had my pixel xl 128gb for about a month and at first it froze and restarted itself maybe once a week...Over the last 10 days it's been every other day and today like every few hrs and tonight like 4 times!!!! Not associated with a specific app or time of day. So frustrating BC I am a Samsung note girl who switched and I'm now regretting....After a LOT of research!! What the hell????
Join the club here:

https://groups.google.com/a/[email protected]

IlyaKol

Aug 21, 2013
Albany, NY
Been suffering from this every since I got the thing like 2-3 weeks ago. Happens like 2-3 times a week.

128GB
Bootloader: Unlocked
Rooted: Yes, Magisk
ROM: Stock 7.1.2

Joining the club above...

Juli112

Dec 18, 2011
Happened with my Pixel (non XL) 32gb twice.
Once when I used it with Google Maps navigation and once in the night.
Rooted, Samsung RAM.

carlylemiii

Dec 28, 2012
Suddenly happening to me about once an hour on a 32 GB Pixel XL with Toshiba UFS and Hynix DRAM. No new apps or updates. And this is my third Pixel XL...I'm fed up.

psak

Oct 13, 2010
128GB Toshiba UFS and Hynix DRAM.
Non root'ed, completely stock.
Happened twice so far since the ownership/late March. One random reboot during enabling GPS from pull down title,
one time freeze/lockup during waking device and quickly switching into a chrome based browser(Brave) after which the phone didn't respond to any buttons, screen swipes, etc... except forceing it into a reboot by holding power button for 15-20seconds...
Hopefully next update or different ROM/kernel combo will fix the problem once I decide to unlock bootloader/root.

TurboFool

Jun 22, 2007
Culver City
I have a non-XL 128GB that freezes or reboots on me semi-regularly. Had it warranty replaced and the new one's doing the same.

128GB Toshiba, 2096MB Samsung LPDDR4.

I'm not convinced it's hardware at this point, though, since it survived a warranty replacement and it was problem-free for nearly two weeks after I set it up again.

Original problem didn't start until after 7.1.1, which of course may be coincidence.

colormedroid

Apr 28, 2014
Houston
Just got my XL 32 GB the other week and all of a sudden, the freezing and crashing started happening to me. At first, I thought it was the ROM I was running until I booted in recovery and it did the same IN the recovery. I then thought it was the recovery until I returned to stock through the factory image and it froze on the INITIAL boot after restoring from stock factory image ::rolleyes::. Then it froze and crashed a few more times in the stock OS without having downloaded any extra apps at all. I've come to conclusion that it is hardware related and then I found this thread. I don't think it has to do anything with any rogue apps.

UFS: 32 GB Samsung
DDRAM: 4096MB Hynix LPDDR4

Surely disappointed.

Enphenate

Jun 20, 2011
Adding myself to the list. My Verizon 128GB Pixel XL on 7.1.2 has been restarting and freezing at random. It worked fine for months but suddenly started happening about a week or two ago and it's really frustrating. No idea what is causing it. The phone freezes and restarts 4-5 times a day and I cant seem to pinpoint what is causing it.

I really dont feel like factory resetting it.

ken830

Nov 3, 2007
SF Bay Area
128GB Toshiba & 4096MB Hynix LPDDR4. Many, many random freeze/reboots since early April. Noticed this also happens nearly every time I record a long video. Today, at Disneyland, recording a long video (and flash storage almost full), and it froze again. This time, it did not come back. Can't even boot anymore. Screen flashes a weird distorted Google logo. This happen to anyone else?

I can't get the phone to boot at all. If I press the vol-down button (doesn't even need the power button), I can get to the bootloader menu. In the bootloader menu, if I choose "Start," Restart bootloader," or "Recovery mode," the screen will flash again forever (I've waited hours). If I choose "Barcodes," then I will see all the proper IME/SKU/Serial numbers and barcodes. Choosing "Power off" works too, if it's not plugged in -- if it's plugged into power, the screen will flash a "static" screen endlessly. I took a video of when this happened today at Disneyland.

https://youtu.be/VlQ_PpZQ9SY

Plugging into a Windows laptop, it sees an "Android" device, but "adb devices" doesn't see anything. What can I do at this point?! Would like to get my photos/videos back at the very least.

Last edited:

ahent

Mar 31, 2012
Johnston, IA
Have you tried leaving the recovery screen up to run down battery until it's dead then letting it sit and trying to charge and reboot. Not sure if it would help but sometimes it has worked for me on other phones in the past. Although with those phones I could just pull the battery and wait a few.

Reactions: ken830

ken830

Nov 3, 2007
SF Bay Area
Have you tried leaving the recovery screen up to run down battery until it's dead then letting it sit and trying to charge and reboot. Not sure if it would help but sometimes it has worked for me on other phones in the past. Although with those phones I could just pull the battery and wait a few.

I will try, but not sure how long it will take to drain the battery.

IlyaKol

Aug 21, 2013
Albany, NY
Been suffering from this every since I got the thing like 2-3 weeks ago. Happens like 2-3 times a week.

128GB

Phone just did this to me twice in 5 minutes. Anyone have any updates on why this is happening (has any credible Android news outlet covered it?), etc.?

ken830

Nov 3, 2007
SF Bay Area

I will try, but not sure how long it will take to drain the battery.

Just tried. Now phone won't power on at all. :crying:

tinroofrusted

Apr 24, 2014
128GB Toshiba & 4096MB Hynix LPDDR4. Many, many random freeze/reboots since early April. Noticed this also happens nearly every time I record a long video. Today, at Disneyland, recording a long video (and flash storage almost full), and it froze again. This time, it did not come back. Can't even boot anymore. Screen flashes a weird distorted Google logo. This happen to anyone else?

I can't get the phone to boot at all. If I press the vol-down button (doesn't even need the power button), I can get to the bootloader menu. In the bootloader menu, if I choose "Start," Restart bootloader," or "Recovery mode," the screen will flash again forever (I've waited hours). If I choose "Barcodes," then I will see all the proper IME/SKU/Serial numbers and barcodes. Choosing "Power off" works too, if it's not plugged in -- if it's plugged into power, the screen will flash a "static" screen endlessly. I took a video of when this happened today at Disneyland.

Plugging into a Windows laptop, it sees an "Android" device, but "adb devices" doesn't see anything. What can I do at this point?! Would like to get my photos/videos back at the very least.

ADB is only used when the device\rom is up and running. You need to use fastboot commands when on bootloader screen. You could download the full factory firmware from Googles site. Just remove the -w from the flash all .bat file before you run it otherwise it will delete all of your data.

IlyaKol

Aug 21, 2013
Albany, NY

128GB

Phone just did this to me twice in 5 minutes. Anyone have any updates on why this is happening (has any credible Android news outlet covered it?), etc.?

Make that every 5 minutes now that I've updated to the May OTA. This is getting EXTREMELY annoying. Will be contacting Google shortly. This is f'in BS.

markwebb

Jun 14, 2010
San Diego
Any credible Android news outlet has not been covering it: they would rather help sell the product instead. The Google support forum on this topic is getting larger by the day from affected users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IlyaKol

Aug 21, 2013
Albany, NY
Does anyone know where the RAM Dump goes? I ran the phone successfully without rebooting in Safe Mode, so it's definitely an application causing the crashes. Wondering if the RAM Dump (like a BSOD/Event Log in Windows) will tell me which one(s).

EDIT: I removed Facebook and Facebook Messenger and so far so good...*fingers crossed*

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have just experienced this issue. In my case I had just removed a messaging app that stored data. After deleting the app I was prompted by ES file explorer to delete data, I chose to delete and phone froze then would not boot up until I booted into bootloader and restarted. I am on 7.1.1 Verizon, 32 GB , Samsung storage , rooted and unlocked

Uninstall ES File Explorer. It is malware and can have serious impact on stability of your device.
    Just an update for anyone reading this still.

I had one or two reboots every 4-5 weeks while running the April OTA on 7.1.2. That's being rooted (Magisk 11.6), unlocked bootloader and with ElementalX Kernel.

Then, I took the plunge and updated to the May OTA via sideload in TWRP. HOLY MOLY! Phone was rebooting every 5 minutes or less. It was freakin unusable. I got it to behave a little better by messing with ElementalX settings and it ran okay in Safe Mode (but without any of my apps, that wasn't a long term solution). On the May OTA, the phone was setup much the same way...updated to Magisk 12.0, unlocked BL, same Kernel (updated as well).

I then decided to downgrade back to the April OTA while keeping all of the other stuff the same (so still on updated Kernel and Magisk) and the phone is back to running steady with no reboots. I haven't had a reboot in like a week (since I downgraded). I didn't even remove any apps like FB, etc.

Something is VERY wrong with the May OTA. VERY WRONG.

Also, evidently, I wasn't aware that ONLY the 'sched' governor should be used on the Pixel XL so that was part of my problem. But going back to the April version basically fixed all of my issues with everything else being the same.

I am using the May OTA, with SuperSU and ElementalX 1.11 and all is working just fine.

In fact, I've never had a reboot on my Pixel, even when I was trying out crazy development ideas. It's one of the most robust phones I've ever had.
    I just had a complete freeze up and random reboot in my pixel xl 32gb yesterday, so i dont think it has anything to do with just the 128gb. My bootloader is locked and I am not rooted or ROM'ed. I never happened before 7.1.1 so maybe its a software issue.
    Oh wow! Who is storage manufacturer? I was hoping to find a pattern with this issue. Many other's have complained about the same.

https://productforums.google.com/fo...w4Ui0nJKw;context-place=forum/phone-by-google

samsung on ufs and ram
    Was still battling the reboot/Ram Dump on the June OTA every 60-90 minutes or so (started to get slowly more frequent). Said to myself that I'd wait until the July OTA and that if it continued then, then I'd try to get Google to RMA the device.

I attempted to flash-all.bat the July factory image and for some reason was unable to flash Magisk, etc. so then I went back to the June OTA (via flash-all.bat), sideloaded the July OTA via ADB and then was able to install all of the other stuff (Magisk, Elemental, etc.).

So far, in the last 18 hours, zero reboots. None. Not even a hiccup or an ounce of lag.

*crosses fingers*

I am CONVINCED that this is a software issue and NOT a hardware issue. I have 12+ years of experience working in IT (desktop support, systems engineer, systems admin, part-time DBA, etc.) and I feel this has virtually nothing to do with the hardware.

EDIT: I'm at 2 days and 9hrs without a single issue. Looks like the July update might have finally been the one.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone