Pixel XL CANADIAN DISCUSSION

Search This thread

0mega1

Mar 11, 2008
Hamilton
LTE signal drops all of the sudden and back in few seconds. This issue only happens to me in downtown Toronto area occasionally.

Was actually noticing this a ton in DT Toronto as well, College/Spadina specifically for myself for a couple days.

Haven't noticed it now that I'm back in Hamilton.

Maybe it's just trying to hop towers too aggressively.

BCSC

Nov 5, 2009
New Westminster

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

I already got my 32 GB XL, but she said I have 15 days to trade it in for the 128 GB XL if it comes in (30 days if I self-identify as a person with a disability.... gotta love retarded Canadian regs... "self identify". Yes, I'm disabled, because I bit my fingernails and that caused me to type slower, ergo, disability. self identified.)

That's my favorite part of Bestbuy's return policy. I'll self identify as a cat if it helps me.

Last edited:

mdroid01

Oct 25, 2016
Was actually noticing this a ton in DT Toronto as well, College/Spadina specifically for myself for a couple days.

Haven't noticed it now that I'm back in Hamilton.

Maybe it's just trying to hop towers too aggressively.

I already checked with my carrier Telus. They confirmed that main LTE signal in downtown area is band 4. My Pixel has never experienced this issue in my living area and Richmond Hill area.

asaqwert

Apr 5, 2011
One of those better be mine.

I forget if you had pre-ordered as a personal customer, or if you had got your rep to order it in for you and you are a small business customer?

If you're a small business customer, don't count on yours being in that shipment of 100 units. I am in the same boat - I had called the day that we knew when the Pixel would be launched, to ask that they put my name on one, then I called back again on the day the Note 7 final recall was announced (can't remember if both these calls were on the same day, I don't think so?) and asked them to either pre-order me one or put my name on one. They told me there would be one waiting for me at my rep's store (of course, they were full of shlt, but that's no surprise - the idiots that work at the call center have enough trouble speaking english, so expecting them to be honest and clear about what they are saying is asking a lot....).

I also had asked my rep to specifically order in the Pixel XL 128 GB in black or silver (black preferred), twice, then again once the Note 7 final recall was confirmed, then again after it became clear that Telus was handling this recall very poorly. She has fought tooth and nail to get me the 128 GB black or silver XL, and even after all of that, I don't honestly expect to be one of the 100 people. It's just too few people who will get one out of a lot of people who no doubt want one; I am viewing it similarly to the lottery - yes, I hope I win, but no, I don't expect to win.

I ended up taking a 32 GB XL for now, and I'll return it if the 128 GB XL comes in within the 30 days that I have to return it (since I will self-identify as disabled). If it doesn't come in within 30 days, I'll either suck it up and just use the 32 GB XL for now until the Note 8 comes out (debatable if I'll end up getting the Note 8, it will depend on what Samsung does for it, what they offer their Note 7 customers, and if it ends up being able to be rooted etc).

What a shambles Telus, Samsung, Google, etc, all are. It's sad.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

What about the 32GB?

32 GB phones are supposed to be much more readily available. The 32 GB Pixel XL is available at numerous stores across the country, and any store should be able to order one in for you (at least in Black, I didn't ask about Silver, but previously I was told that Silver is also available).

The 32 GB Pixel is supposed to be easily available. The 128 GB Pixel is supposed to be coming in within a few weeks, and at that point will be attainable, though maybe not by simply walking in and walking out; you may have to get it ordered by the store you want to pick up from, and they will bring it in from either another store or one of the Telus inventory locations.

Reactions: Reechings

Reechings

Jan 22, 2012
I forget if you had pre-ordered as a personal customer, or if you had got your rep to order it in for you and you are a small business customer?

If you're a small business customer, don't count on yours being in that shipment of 100 units. I am in the same boat - I had called the day that we knew when the Pixel would be launched, to ask that they put my name on one, then I called back again on the day the Note 7 final recall was announced (can't remember if both these calls were on the same day, I don't think so?) and asked them to either pre-order me one or put my name on one. They told me there would be one waiting for me at my rep's store (of course, they were full of shlt, but that's no surprise - the idiots that work at the call center have enough trouble speaking english, so expecting them to be honest and clear about what they are saying is asking a lot....).

I also had asked my rep to specifically order in the Pixel XL 128 GB in black or silver (black preferred), twice, then again once the Note 7 final recall was confirmed, then again after it became clear that Telus was handling this recall very poorly. She has fought tooth and nail to get me the 128 GB black or silver XL, and even after all of that, I don't honestly expect to be one of the 100 people. It's just too few people who will get one out of a lot of people who no doubt want one; I am viewing it similarly to the lottery - yes, I hope I win, but no, I don't expect to win.

I ended up taking a 32 GB XL for now, and I'll return it if the 128 GB XL comes in within the 30 days that I have to return it (since I will self-identify as disabled). If it doesn't come in within 30 days, I'll either suck it up and just use the 32 GB XL for now until the Note 8 comes out (debatable if I'll end up getting the Note 8, it will depend on what Samsung does for it, what they offer their Note 7 customers, and if it ends up being able to be rooted etc).

What a shambles Telus, Samsung, Google, etc, all are. It's sad.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

32 GB phones are supposed to be much more readily available. The 32 GB Pixel XL is available at numerous stores across the country, and any store should be able to order one in for you (at least in Black, I didn't ask about Silver, but previously I was told that Silver is also available).

The 32 GB Pixel is supposed to be easily available. The 128 GB Pixel is supposed to be coming in within a few weeks, and at that point will be attainable, though maybe not by simply walking in and walking out; you may have to get it ordered by the store you want to pick up from, and they will bring it in from either another store or one of the Telus inventory locations.

I originally ordered through regular Telus mobility online on Oct. 22 which said 4-6 weeks (same as it says now). I then cancelled that order and ordered through the Wireless Ambassador website (for Telus employees) on Oct. 31 when it surprisingly showed up there. At that time it did not say any delay but when I go there now it shows 3-4 weeks for delivery for the XL 128GB.

asaqwert

Apr 5, 2011
That's my favorite part of Bestbuy's return policy. I'll self identify as a cat if it helps me.

Actually the policy is mandated by the CRTC in the Wireless Code that they adopted in June of 2013. Every carrier is required to:

1. Give you 15 days to return a new device, in near new or new condition, without penalty. If you use this option, you keep your service agreement, and you pick another device (doesn't say if you are allowed to go on to a month-to-month, but I imagine if you did, you'd lose any bonuses or credits you got for signing a contract). There is no penalty and you don't have to pay out the device balance with this option.

2. Give you 30 minutes talk time/50 text messages/50 Mb of data to return your near new or new condition device AND cancel your service agreement completely. There is no penalty and you don't have to pay out the device balance with this option.

If you exceed the limitations in option 2, you can still use option 1. If you exceed the 15 day limitation on option 1, you can not use option 2 (even if you are under the 30 mins/50 txt/50 mb, after 15 days, you can't cancel your service agreement or return your device.

*** BUT ***

The Wireless Code also says that if you SELF-IDENTIFY as a person with a disability (i.e. you DO NOT need to be medically evaluated or diagnosed with a disability, and there are no stipulations on what the disability must be or how you must be affected by the disability in order to qualify - you simply need to self-identify as disabled. Sort of like how some people suggest that a person can self-identify themselves as a man, woman, both, neither, a turnip, an Apache attack helicopter, or anything else they so choose, on any given day..... LOL

So yea, with any carrier in Canada, self-identify as disabled and you double those limits, and you basically get a month to decide if you want to keep your phone or switch it for something else. Pretty cool. Probably one of the only things the CRTC has done very well with the Wireless Code... sadly they haven't limited or stopped the monopoly and collusion of Robelus from perpetuating...*sigh*

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Oh, and you should actually be able to self-identify as a cat with the federal government now..... lol

Personally I think I'm going to self-identify as a disabled aboriginal woman. Free college tuition, non-meritorious gender-parity based hiring, and great parking, here I come!!

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

I originally ordered through regular Telus mobility online on Oct. 22 which said 4-6 weeks (same as it says now). I then cancelled that order and ordered through the Wireless Ambassador website (for Telus employees) on Oct. 31 when it surprisingly showed up there. At that time it did not say any delay but when I go there now it shows 3-4 weeks for delivery for the XL 128GB.

I would bet a good sum of money you won't be one of the people who get one of the 100 of the 128 GB Pixel XL 's that are supposed to be coming in shortly. Your original order on Oct 22 won't have any impact on the priority of your order, so it would simply be based on the fact you ordered on Oct 31.

The only possible advantage you might have is the use of the Wireless Ambassador website, though I personally imagine that would end up being a disadvantage rather than an advantage; I can't imagine that Telus would give priority to retired Telus employees over customers who are paying for a plan at a higher rate, and who aren't getting the $300 hardware discount that the WA's get.

Are you actually a retired Telus employee though? I'm curious if there's another way to gain eligibility for the WA program - maybe I'm being presumptuous, but you just didn't strike me as someone who's old enough to have been retired from Telus after having worked there for over 20 years?

Reactions: BCSC

Reechings

Jan 22, 2012
Actually the policy is mandated by the CRTC in the Wireless Code that they adopted in June of 2013. Every carrier is required to:

1. Give you 15 days to return a new device, in near new or new condition, without penalty. If you use this option, you keep your service agreement, and you pick another device (doesn't say if you are allowed to go on to a month-to-month, but I imagine if you did, you'd lose any bonuses or credits you got for signing a contract). There is no penalty and you don't have to pay out the device balance with this option.

2. Give you 30 minutes talk time/50 text messages/50 Mb of data to return your near new or new condition device AND cancel your service agreement completely. There is no penalty and you don't have to pay out the device balance with this option.

If you exceed the limitations in option 2, you can still use option 1. If you exceed the 15 day limitation on option 1, you can not use option 2 (even if you are under the 30 mins/50 txt/50 mb, after 15 days, you can't cancel your service agreement or return your device.

*** BUT ***

The Wireless Code also says that if you SELF-IDENTIFY as a person with a disability (i.e. you DO NOT need to be medically evaluated or diagnosed with a disability, and there are no stipulations on what the disability must be or how you must be affected by the disability in order to qualify - you simply need to self-identify as disabled. Sort of like how some people suggest that a person can self-identify themselves as a man, woman, both, neither, a turnip, an Apache attack helicopter, or anything else they so choose, on any given day..... LOL

So yea, with any carrier in Canada, self-identify as disabled and you double those limits, and you basically get a month to decide if you want to keep your phone or switch it for something else. Pretty cool. Probably one of the only things the CRTC has done very well with the Wireless Code... sadly they haven't limited or stopped the monopoly and collusion of Robelus from perpetuating...*sigh*

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Oh, and you should actually be able to self-identify as a cat with the federal government now..... lol

Personally I think I'm going to self-identify as a disabled aboriginal woman. Free college tuition, non-meritorious gender-parity based hiring, and great parking, here I come!!

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

I would bet a good sum of money you won't be one of the people who get one of the 100 of the 128 GB Pixel XL 's that are supposed to be coming in shortly. Your original order on Oct 22 won't have any impact on the priority of your order, so it would simply be based on the fact you ordered on Oct 31.

The only possible advantage you might have is the use of the Wireless Ambassador website, though I personally imagine that would end up being a disadvantage rather than an advantage; I can't imagine that Telus would give priority to retired Telus employees over customers who are paying for a plan at a higher rate, and who aren't getting the $300 hardware discount that the WA's get.

Are you actually a retired Telus employee though? I'm curious if there's another way to gain eligibility for the WA program - maybe I'm being presumptuous, but you just didn't strike me as someone who's old enough to have been retired from Telus after having worked there for over 20 years?

Ambassador isn't only for retired, it's for current employees too.

asaqwert

Apr 5, 2011
Ambassador isn't only for retired, it's for current employees too.

Oh really?? Cool, well that's not bad then. I would have expected current employees to get a little bit better of a deal than that though!

I'm kind of surprised they didn't set something aside for you before, or offer internal deals to current employees. Crazy man... Hopefully you get lucky and pull one of those off, but from what I've been told by a few people, might as well go buy a few scratch tickets at the same time lol

Reechings

Jan 22, 2012
Oh really?? Cool, well that's not bad then. I would have expected current employees to get a little bit better of a deal than that though!

I'm kind of surprised they didn't set something aside for you before, or offer internal deals to current employees. Crazy man... Hopefully you get lucky and pull one of those off, but from what I've been told by a few people, might as well go buy a few scratch tickets at the same time lol

We get a better deal than the 40% off for cell phones (we get that on home services) if that's what you're thinking about.

Reactions: mrnovanova

mrnovanova

Jun 28, 2011
Montreal

We also only pay 15$ for Canada wide calling unlimited text and 3gb of data. Not too shabby if you ask me. [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers mobile app

Reactions: Reechings

asaqwert

Apr 5, 2011
And you guys are getting a second line with a pixel xl 128gb and then sending me the SIM card and phone when exactly?

I'm not picky on colour..... Surprise me :)

asaqwert

Apr 5, 2011
Why would I do that?

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Phone just shipped!!! Due to arrive tomorrow! :laugh:

1. You may do that because I'm just so damn helpful, and you wanted to give me a present because of that? I dunno, I'm clearly grasping at straws here. Lol.

2. No. F'ing. Way.

That's awesome, I can't believe it got shipped for you. Now I'm even more pissed, since Telus repeatedly refused to order me one through any means at all other than my rep trying to bring it in as part of a standard stock order. My rep escalated it, but Telus has been awful about it.

I bet dollars to donuts that the website and the wireless ambassador orders get filled through a different inventory system than the stores use? If so, I bet a lot of online-based orders are going to be delivered soon, and those that ordered through a store or a rep are going to get screwed.

Any chance you know a way I can argue or convince Telus to extend the exchange period on this phone, so I can exchange for the 128 when it's in? I would think they would have the ability to say "we screwed the pooch so hard on this one that the pooch won't ever walk again, and thus customer got screwed about as bad, so we'll extend the timeframe for exchange until the phone is available"..........

Maybe possible? Any idea who I should talk to that would be most likely to help?

Reechings

Jan 22, 2012
1. You may do that because I'm just so damn helpful, and you wanted to give me a present because of that? I dunno, I'm clearly grasping at straws here. Lol.

2. No. F'ing. Way.

That's awesome, I can't believe it got shipped for you. Now I'm even more pissed, since Telus repeatedly refused to order me one through any means at all other than my rep trying to bring it in as part of a standard stock order. My rep escalated it, but Telus has been awful about it.

I bet dollars to donuts that the website and the wireless ambassador orders get filled through a different inventory system than the stores use? If so, I bet a lot of online-based orders are going to be delivered soon, and those that ordered through a store or a rep are going to get screwed.

Any chance you know a way I can argue or convince Telus to extend the exchange period on this phone, so I can exchange for the 128 when it's in? I would think they would have the ability to say "we screwed the pooch so hard on this one that the pooch won't ever walk again, and thus customer got screwed about as bad, so we'll extend the timeframe for exchange until the phone is available"..........

Maybe possible? Any idea who I should talk to that would be most likely to help?

1) Haha sorry man, if I could get a deal on a second line it would be going to the wifey

2) Unfortunately I don't have a secret contact for you. They were all useless for me and had no idea. I think you may be right about a separate inventory for Ambassador but I bet if that's the case it is probably not a huge amount. The mobility website does say limited stock with 4-6 weeks delivery timeframe so there's a good chance they will hardball you on any attempts to extend return period. I hope I'm wrong for your sake though.

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone