Pixel XL screen flicker

Search This thread

Uncle Lizard

Jun 10, 2011
Tacoma
I had the same problem with mine only when charging
Although both of my previous devices did flicker a few times without being on the charger, I forgot to mention that I was referring to the screen flicker when charging. With the Elemental X kernel I have not seen the screen flicker once, but I did not try this new device without this kernel installed.

ASimpleSock

Feb 7, 2017
So, interesting information.
Let's start with a biology lesson,
Our eyes contain cones and rods. Cones are mainly for bright light while rods are for seeing in the dark. Rods respond more to flicker as the pigment of rods (rhodopsin) can regenerate rapidly.
Class dismissed. I think you see where I'm going with this.
The screen ALWAYS flickers when charging and at 100% battery. We just can't see & that's why people say that it occurs only at low brightness levels.
Source: My Biology textbook and a Slo Mo video of my Pixel XL at full brightness while charging at 100% battery.

TL;DR: The screen always flickers when charging at 100% battery regardless of screen brightness. See for yourself with any Slo Mo capable smartphone.

coolrevi

Jun 1, 2012
Udupi
So, interesting information.
Let's start with a biology lesson,
Our eyes contain cones and rods. Cones are mainly for bright light while rods are for seeing in the dark. Rods respond more to flicker as the pigment of rods (rhodopsin) can regenerate rapidly.
Class dismissed. I think you see where I'm going with this.
The screen ALWAYS flickers when charging and at 100% battery. We just can't see & that's why people say that it occurs only at low brightness levels.
Source: My Biology textbook and a Slo Mo video of my Pixel XL at full brightness while charging at 100% battery.

TL;DR: The screen always flickers when charging at 100% battery regardless of screen brightness. See for yourself with any Slo Mo capable smartphone.

Tried all possible fix nothing really worked. Got a replacement. No more flickering.

yung40oz84

Sep 23, 2014
sites.psu.edu
I noticed this like 3 days agao when it was at 100% plugged into the computer. SO, from what I am reading it is a software issue, I mean anybody could check by going to the software with issue, then the software without issue to verify. Also, is anyone who actually got a replacement fixed the issue? Obviously it may fix if on different software but anyone who go replacement and came with same software was it fixed? There are several scenarios here.

chrisully

Oct 19, 2010
Manchester
My Pixel XL screen flickers when charged to 100% and I leave the charger plugged in. This happens with my car charger and also my portable battery pack, both which I used with my Nexus 6P no problem.

Soon as I unplug the flicking stops.

Anyone else have this problem? Or heard anything about this?

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers mobile app
Just got a new one a few days ago and it does the same

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers Legacy app

coderxtreme

Feb 6, 2009
I switched from a Nexus 5X to a Pixel 1 XL. The screen does flicker using PWM to lower brightness. It's possible to fix the flickering by setting brightness to 100% and running the app "Screen Filter" to set brightness to around 30%. The top bar and bottom soft buttons are super bright, in addition to the menus.

Is there a better fix that uses a similar technique and affects the entire phone screen with interface? This fix can work in software.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Pixel XL screen flickers when charged to 100% and I leave the charger plugged in. This happens with my car charger and also my portable battery pack, both which I used with my Nexus 6P no problem.

Soon as I unplug the flicking stops.

Anyone else have this problem? Or heard anything about this?

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers mobile app
    So, I received my replacement ahead of schedule today and so far I have not been able to reproduce the flicker on the new device. Not once. Seems like the issue might only be affecting a small number of handsets. But I'll keep testing and let you guys know if the issue appears on the new handset too.
    I received my replacement today. The phone is currently sitting at 100% for an hour or so. So far no flicker. Hopefully it stays that way.
    Anyway, glad I went for replacement. The new unit has perfect screen. Old one has that typical and common patchy AMOLED screen with middle being slightly darker than rest of the screen at low brightness on grey screen.
    The new one is perfect.
    Now just praying that flicker is not on the new unit. Will report back after day of testing before I start using it as primary phone.
    So you guys have any screen protectors installed?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Completely off topic, please don't derail this thread.
    I chatted with Google and they told me to go to Verizon, bummer. I really did not want to be bothered with another exchange crap. I came over from note 7. I just want a phone that works right and won't explode. :(