Themes / Apps / Mods PixelFlasher for Google Pixel 6 Pro Support Thread.

Search This thread

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
New Release:
Oct 03, 2022 v4.1.0 release

• Patching is now fully automatic with or without root.
    PixelFlasher uses installed Magisk Manager binaries to create a patch (root binaries are only used if Magisk Manager is not available / accessible)
    UIAutomator no longer necessary, neither asking the user to manually patch and click ok when done.
  • Added an option to set a hidden Magisk package name so that PixelFlasher can find the Magisk and use it, the user still has a choice to use root binaries.
  • Speed improvements for device property reading.
  • Speed improvements for Magisk modules reading.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
  • NOTICE:
    I'm marking version 4.1.0 release as pre-release because I just found out that unzip is not normally available on the phone, which this new patching mechanism uses.
    On my test phones they were available.
    Unless you have unzip on your phone, you should avoid using this version.
    Sorry about this oversight.

tutuco

Apr 16, 2007
SAO PAULO
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hey, any noob tutorial on upgrading a Rooted P6P to the last patch(October) without losing data and root?
Last time I ran everything manually but I would like to use the Pixel Flasher tool if possible.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Hey, any noob tutorial on upgrading a Rooted P6P to the last patch(October) without losing data and root?
Last time I ran everything manually but I would like to use the Pixel Flasher tool if possible.
Just follow the Basic steps from OP or the Main thread (see in OP or in my signature)
If you previously did not flash bootloader to both slots, I suggest you do that too, in which case follow Advanced steps and choose "Flash to both slots"

banshee28

Aug 31, 2010
Just follow the Basic steps from OP or the Main thread (see in OP or in my signature)
If you previously did not flash bootloader to both slots, I suggest you do that too, in which case follow Advanced steps and choose "Flash to both slots"
Yep, was about to post my results from today!

Updating from last month to this new October patch:
Using 4.1.1 Linux build
Flashed to both slots, keeping all data
allowed flasher to patch bootloader for me, I simply choose all options in GUI, never touched phone
7 mins later, all done, fully rooted still, all data intact!!

Thanks! This is an awesome tool!

Reactions: badabing2003

DeanO74

Sep 20, 2022
Are you guys passing Verify on your 6 Pro after flashing a ROM patched with Magical using this app?

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Are you guys passing Verify on your 6 Pro after flashing a ROM patched with Magical using this app?
I don't know what you mean by passing veify.
Safetynet is deprecated.

If you are using the Modded Saftenety module (not the original one) then Play Integrity check result the following.

Pass: - Meets Device Integrity
Pass: - Meets Basic Integrity
Fail: - Meets Strong Integrity (I'm not aware of any mechanism that passes this, even if you're not rooted but have the bootloader unlocked) there is a long thread specifically for this topic, which is Play Integrity

Reactions: Alekos

DeanO74

Sep 20, 2022
I don't know what you mean by passing veify.
Safetynet is deprecated.

If you are using the Modded Saftenety module (not the original one) then Play Integrity check result the following.

Pass: - Meets Device Integrity
Pass: - Meets Basic Integrity
Fail: - Meets Strong Integrity (I'm not aware of any mechanism that passes this, even if you're not rooted but have the bootloader unlocked) there is a long thread specifically for this topic, which is Play Integrity
Thanks. I found a little write up on adjusting some settings in Magisk and an updated module to install that's helped folks get things like their Gpay back up and going. I know as you told me, your app is simply an interface, a very helpful one too. I'll look into that thread, everything works but my Gpay oddly. Thanks again.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Thanks. I found a little write up on adjusting some settings in Magisk and an updated module to install that's helped folks get things like their Gpay back up and going. I know as you told me, your app is simply an interface, a very helpful one too. I'll look into that thread, everything works but my Gpay oddly. Thanks again.
This is the thread you're looking for, it's been discussed in depth.
Gpay does work.

Reactions: rhetorician

Caipi123

May 20, 2009
I'm having issues with the boot.img validation:

Looking for magisk_patched_912e5dba.img in /storage/emulated/0/Download ...
Found /storage/emulated/0/Download/magisk_patched_912e5dba.img
Pulling /storage/emulated/0/Download/magisk_patched_912e5dba.img from the phone to: magisk_patched_912e5dba.img ...
sha1 of magisk_patched_912e5dba.img: 3cf89c92532a38cc285be46acfbbf82eb6fcde00
Extracting SHA1 from magisk_patched_912e5dba.img ...
Getting SHA1 of source boot.img ...
Comparing the two SHA1s ...

2022-10-09 00:04:09 ERROR: Something is wrong with the patched filed.
magisk_patched_912e5dba.img extracted sha1: fe2023f5
boot.img sha1: 912e5dba
They don't match.
Aborting

any idea? Tried it several times, deleted everything, etc...

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
I'm having issues with the boot.img validation:

any idea? Tried it several times, deleted everything, etc...
This is a safety measure I have put in PixelFlasher, basically when Magisk patches a file, it does few things, and one of them is it embeds in the generated patch file, the SHA1 (hash) of the source boot.img that was used to create the patch.
PixelFlasher extracts this information from the generated patch file and compares it to the hash of the boot.img file that was used, if they don't match then it gives this warning and aborts.
See here the full details of it.
There are few possibilities and I would need few things (more about what I need further below) from you to confirm what is the situation with you.
1- It could be that everything is good, but Magisk just set the wrong hash in the patched image (this would be harmless Magisk bug)
2- It could be that Magisk used the wrong boot.img file even, in which case you don't want to use that patched file because it is not from the file you wanted to patch, (this would be a serious Magisk bug)
3- It could be that PixelFlasher is doing something wrong in the way it transfers the files or invokes the patching process (this would be very unlikely, in addition to the extensive testing that I do on this aspect, with validations printed in the console, there are way too many users of PixelFlasher, and they would have encountered it)

Let's hope for #1, we can fix it (I'm working on including automatic fix in the next version of PixelFlasher)

What do I need from you is first a sanitized support.zip file (see in help menu) so that I know about your device, the files that relevant to this issue along with their paths.

One I get that, I'll ask you to provide few other files, and probably few commands so that we know exactly what is going on.

Don't worry, we can fix this.

Reactions: Thebear j koss

Caipi123

May 20, 2009
This is a safety measure I have put in PixelFlasher, basically when Magisk patches a file, it does few things, and one of them is it embeds in the generated patch file, the SHA1 (hash) of the source boot.img that was used to create the patch.
PixelFlasher extracts this information from the generated patch file and compares it to the hash of the boot.img file that was used, if they don't match then it gives this warning and aborts.
See here the full details of it.
There are few possibilities and I would need few things (more about what I need further below) from you to confirm what is the situation with you.
1- It could be that everything is good, but Magisk just set the wrong hash in the patched image (this would be harmless Magisk bug)
2- It could be that Magisk used the wrong boot.img file even, in which case you don't want to use that patched file because it is not from the file you wanted to patch, (this would be a serious Magisk bug)
3- It could be that PixelFlasher is doing something wrong in the way it transfers the files or invokes the patching process (this would be very unlikely, in addition to the extensive testing that I do on this aspect, with validations printed in the console, there are way too many users of PixelFlasher, and they would have encountered it)

Let's hope for #1, we can fix it (I'm working on including automatic fix in the next version of PixelFlasher)

What do I need from you is first a sanitized support.zip file (see in help menu) so that I know about your device, the files that relevant to this issue along with their paths.

One I get that, I'll ask you to provide few other files, and probably few commands so that we know exactly what is going on.

Don't worry, we can fix this.

thank you very much. I've attached the support.zip file. So far previous flashes went fine with the same magisk version (but of course different android version). Just let me know if you need anything else.

Attachments

• support.zip
    22.1 KB · Views: 11

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
OK Thanks
I see that you are not on Windows, are you on a Mac or Linux? (Note to self, I should add a log entry for platform)
Depending on the platform, the PF configuration folder is varies.
Let's first find out the Configuration folder.
The easiest way is to do it from PixelFlasher Help Menu, see if you have the option "Open Configuration Folder", unfortunately this menu is not available in all platforms.
No worries though.
If you are on Linux, then the configuration folder is: ~/.local/share/PixelFlasher where ~ is your home
if you are on a MacOS then the configuration folder is: ~/Library/Application Support/PixelFlasher where ~ is your home

Here's what I need next, navigate to the configuration folder, you would see boot_images folder in there

Grab the file boot.img in the folder: 912e5dba0da65a4404ee50899ef4d5192102275d
You also need to grab the file magisk_patched_912e5dba.img in configuration folder sub-directory tmp folder
zip and send them to me.

I will also give you couple of adb commands to execute to see the current state of Magisk on your phone.
This one lists files in Download folder to see what current boot.img and patched files reside (this could be a cause of Magisk confusion)
Code:
adb shell ls -l /storage/emulated/0/Download

This next command echoes the contents of Magisk config file, we'll see what is the SHA1 in there
Code:
adb shell "su -c 'cat $(magisk --path)/.magisk/config | grep SHA1 | cut -d \'=\' -f 2'"

This next command lists the backups Magisk has made of source boot.img files
Code:
adb shell "su -c 'ls -d -1 /data/magisk_backup_*'"

This command lists the files in rooted Magisk directory where the work gets done, (I might ask further commands to run based on the contents, this will provide further insight)
Code:
adb shell "su -c 'ls -l /data/adb/magisk/'"

NOTE to Pixel 6 Pro users
Considering that @Caipi123 device is Pixel 6 Pro, and I don't have Pixel 6 Pro,
It would greatly help if you could post an image like the below from PF if you flashed raven-tp1a.221005.002-factory-d61dff29.zip on your device and used Magisk 25.2:25200
1665270707941.png

This would help me know what should be the correct SHA1 of the patched image in this environment.
Even if your Magisk is not the same, post it anyways, it might help.

Thanks

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

New Release:
    Dec 06, 2022 v4.6.1 release
    • #40 Handle locale related exceptions which were causing PixelFlasher to not launch on some Windows 11 systems.
    • Add the ability to download and install a special Magisk version that has modules loading intentionally disabled. Required to get out of bootloops and manage to disable modules.
      Credit to gecowa6967 at XDA.
    New Release:
    Dec 04, 2022 v4.5.0 release
    • New look (Artwork / Icons), compliments of @t-ryder (thank you), based on Material design icons.
    • New Feature: Package Manager, Install / Uninstall / Freeze (disable) / Unfreeze (enable) packages even system ones (root not required). Handy with Wifi ADB.
    • Use latest Python updated packages.
    • Ubuntu 22.04 support.
    • Miscellaneous improvements.
    New Release:
    Nov 09, 2022 v4.4.0 release
    • New feature: Font and Font size should be configurable by the user #33
    • New feature: Added WiFi-ADB connect / disconnect button. Left click to connect, Right click to disconnect.
      Handy to access a device remotely.
      Note: This only works in adb mode, so no fastboot or flashing features work for remote devices, but for patching / installing apks, managing Magisk modules it works well (basically anything that is done in adb).
      I personally use this to test patching on remote devices, and also use it to access / install apps to my watch.
    • Ground work for future features: Get installed Package list, and list which are disabled, enable / disable / uninstall apps. (Will be available in future release).
    • Move Flash Option Flash to inactive slot to Basic mode from Advanced mode..
    • Minor UI Improvements
    • If Magisk does not create a backup attempt to trigger Magisk to create one.
    • Update readme to include Pixel 7 / 7P specific info.
    New Release:
    Dec 06, 2022 v4.6.1 release
    • #40 Handle locale related exceptions which were causing PixelFlasher to not launch on some Windows 11 systems.
    • Add the ability to download and install a special Magisk version that has modules loading intentionally disabled. Required to get out of bootloops and manage to disable modules.
      Credit to gecowa6967 at XDA.
    Just wanted to send a quick Thank You for creating the Pixel Flasher program. It bailed me out after attempting to follow someone else's guide to install the November update on my Pixel 6 Pro. They caused me to lose root among other things and Pixel Flasher saved the day! I'll be using Pixel Flasher from here on in for ALL of my update and rooting needs. I can imagine just how much work it takes to write a program like that. Have you ever considered putting together a "PF Custom Recovery" seeing the developers over at Twrp haven't gotten around to our device? Just a thought, but I'm sure a lot of people would be grateful if you could pull it off.
    New Release:
    Dec 05, 2022 v4.6.0 release
    • Added single click button to easily flash just the boot/init_boot (stock or patched) to the phone.
    • #39 Display Flash Option changes in the console, and allow flashing to inactive slot in basic mode.
    • #39 Do the Magisk backup only when rooted.
    • Decouple OTA sideload from needing factory image.
    • Other minor improvements.
    PF_promo-banner.png
    This is the support thread of PixelFlasher for Google Pixel 6 Pro
    PixelFlasher is an open-source self contained GUI tool to facilitate Pixel phone device flashing/updating with extra features.

Basic mode: Should suit most users. Some of the features in basic mode are:
    • Simple UI interface, click and go. No more command line, no more placing all files in one directory.
    • boot.img management UI, select the boot.img file to patch and click the patch button. Fully Automated patching with Magisk (without user interaction) and perform upgrades without losing root.
      No more manually extracting files transferring to the phone, patching / re-flashing and doing multiple reboots.
      No more setting airplane mode and clearing storage to retain Safetynet passing.
    • Display details of boot.img.
      • SHA1 checksum.
      • Origin (file it was extracted from).
      • Whether it is patched or not, and if it is patched.
        • What version of Magisk was used to patch it.
        • On what device it was patched.
        • Date of patching.
        • The SHA1 of the source boot.img file.
      • Option to Live boot from a choice of boot.img.
    • Choose to keep data or wipe data while flashing.
    • Ability to flash even if multiple devices are connected to the computer.
    • Display information about the phone.
      • ID
      • Hardware model.
      • Current installed firmware (build).
      • If it is rooted with Magisk.
      • Magisk version (Magisk Tools).
      • Magisk Manager version (the app).
      • List installed Magisk modules.
      • Connection mode (Adb | Fastboot | Sideload | Recovery).
      • Bootloader version.
      • Android OS API version.
      • Convenient quick links to download Android platform tools or device firmware.
    • Magisk Manager installation UI, screenshot. Supported versions:
      • stable
      • beta
      • canary
      • debug
    • Magisk modules management, enable / disable modules selectively, this comes in handy to disable suspect modules before an upgrade screenshot:
      • Name
      • Version
      • Description
      • Enabled / Disabled.
    • Display Android Platform Tools (SDK) version and warn / block if the version is old.
    • Install APK file from the computer onto the device.
    • Advanced features are hidden to keep the interface simple and easy to follow.
    • A lot of checks and validations for smooth operation.
    • Automatic check for program updates.
    Expert mode: (should only be turned on by experienced users). In addition to the basic features, you get:
    • The ability to flash custom ROM (with or without patching boot.img)
    • Option to flash to both slots.
    • Option to flash to inactive slot.
    • Options to disable verity and or verification.
    • Ability to change the active slot.
    • Ability to live boot to custom boot.img (temporary root).
    • Ability to boot to recovery.
    • Ability to flash custom image: boot, recovery, radio, kernel, ...
    • Ability to sideload an image.
    • Lock / Unlock bootloader.
    • Option to gain temporary root (good for testing or checking things out).
    • SOS Disable Magisk modules to get out of bootloop (experimental).

For full details on where to download / usage and feature set of the tool, visit the main thread at XDA or the project's Github page.

Troubleshooting:
    • See this post.
    • Generate Sanitized support.zip file (File Menu) and submit that with your report.
    Note: This thread is meant for issues and problems faced in Google Pixel 6 Pro devices, generic issues that are device agnostic should be discussed in the main thread.
    New Release:
    Sep 04, 2022 v3.7.0 release
    • New Feature: Install Magisk into the phone, PixelFlasher displays information about the latest available Magisk versions (stable, beta, canary, debug) and offers the choice to install a selection.
    • New Feature: Install compatible apk file onto the device from PixelFlasher menu.
    • Check Android Platform Tools version and warn if it is old.
    • Block flashing when stock flash_all.bat file is tampered with.
    • Don't bother with flashing if bootloader is locked.
    • More validations and exceptions handling.
    • Improved logging.
    PixelFlasher 4.0.0 pre-release:
    Sep 25, 2022 v4.0.0 pre-release
    • New Feature: On supported devices, where device is not yet rooted (or adb shell su not allowed), an option to control the Magisk Manager GUI (drive UI) to programmatically control the app through UIAutomator and create a patched boot.img
      See Patching flow chart for details.
    • New Feature: Detect if Magisk Manager is at a higher version than installed Magisk, warn the user of a potential rare corner case and offer a choice of patching method.
    • New Feature: Temporary Root, when flashing if you choose this option, the phone will be flashed with unpatched boot.img, but Live boot to patched boot.img to provide a temporary root.
    • New Feature: Warn the user to flash both bootloader slots if their device is a Tensor device (Pixel 6, Pixel 6a, Pixel 6 Pro), if current version of OS is lower than Android 13.
    • New Feature: Flash to inactive slot. Unlike OTA flashing factory image flashing is always done on the current active slot, with this option selected, PixelFlasher will write to inactive slot. This allows one to revert to current working state in case anything goes wrong. This feature combined with Temporary Flash provides best method to test a new firmware without risking losing current working setup.
      Note: You should avoid this option if you are on a Tensor device and are upgrading from Android 12 to Android 13 (see the previous feature).
    • New Feature: Detect and operate on devices that are in Sideload or Recovery mode.
    • New spinner to indicate PixelFlasher activity.
    • Renamed Reload button to Scan, to better reflect the button's function. After a scan print the count of devices found.
    • PixelFlasher previously used MD5 to uniquely identify boot images (patched or otherwise), with version 4.0.0 PixelFlasher now uses SHA1 instead of MD5.
      This has no bearing on the functionality, it just better aligns with Magisk way of identifying and tagging boot images.
    • PixelFlasher now extracts the embedded SHA1 of a Magisk Patched images (only available in newer devices) and assures that it matches the source boot.img's SHA1.
      This is just an extra validation.
    • Code cleanup / refactoring, adding more validations and exception handling.
    • Print debug details when encountering non compliant Magisk modules.
    • Firmware link now takes you to the device's download page instead of just the general download page.
    • To better reflect the file details, transferred and stored boot.img files are now suffixed by their shortened SHA1, while magisk_patched.img files are now suffixed by shortened SHA1 of their source boot.img.
    • Allow sideload even if bootloader is locked.
    New Release:
    Oct 03, 2022 v4.1.0 release

• Patching is now fully automatic with or without root.
      PixelFlasher uses installed Magisk Manager binaries to create a patch (root binaries are only used if Magisk Manager is not available / accessible)
      UIAutomator no longer necessary, neither asking the user to manually patch and click ok when done.
    • Added an option to set a hidden Magisk package name so that PixelFlasher can find the Magisk and use it, the user still has a choice to use root binaries.
    • Speed improvements for device property reading.
    • Speed improvements for Magisk modules reading.
    New Release:
    April 17, 2022 v2.3.0 release
    • Optional automatic check for updates feature.
    • Added help menu links to:
      - Report an issue
      - Feature Request
      - PixelFlasher Project Page
      - PixelFlasher Community (Forum)
      - Homeboy76's Guide
      - V0latyle's Guide
      - Open Configuration Folder
      - Check for New Version
    • Icons for menu items.
    • Link to download Pixel Firmware.
    • Link to download Android Platform Tools.
    • Unlock Bootloader.
    • Lock Bootloader.
    • SOS (experimental) - disable Magisk modules to get out of bootloop.
    • Additional flashing options:
      - product
      - system
      - system_ext
      - system_other
      - vbmeta_system
      - vbmeta_vendor
    • Added sideload flashing option.
    • Updated documentation.
    • Further improved console messages for troubleshooting.
    • Linux build using Github Actions.
    • Manual build for Kali Linux.