Question PixelFlasher for Google Pixel 6 Pro Support Thread.

Search This thread

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Thanks,

One question. Is this better than the standard method for taking OTA's? Uninstalling magisk image, apply ota (without rebooting), reinstall magisk, reboot. This has always worked for me. Root is preserved.

Method I use: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/...bypassing any possible post-OTA verifications.

If your method is working, no need to change, and you don't need a PC to apply your method.
I personally prefer the full factory method over the OTA, but that is a personal choice, I know a lot of people run into issues with OTA, so factory method is less error prone and with PixelFlasher it is just couple of clicks.

You have the tools at your disposal, hence you have multiple options, choose whatever you feel comfortable / safe with.

niko26

May 5, 2010
Great tool!

One question. Is this better than the standard method for taking OTA's? Uninstalling magisk image, apply ota (without rebooting), reinstall magisk, reboot. This has always worked for me. Root is preserved.

Method I use: https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/ota.html#:~:text=Instead, go to (Magisk app → Install →,the updated slot, bypassing any possible post-OTA verifications.
That's good for you :) In my entire Pixel life this has only worked like once or twice :-(

wgrant

Sep 23, 2011
direct upgrade to A13 from A12 with custom kernel/modules (Shamika, universal safetynet fix, and zram swap manger) enabled went flawless. Fyi. this with A13 normal patched kernel
Wish I could say the same. Mine had all kinds of errors just now and I'm about to sort through it. Currently sitting in fastbootd after several error messages and it finishing out.

https://easyupload.io/diiap1 (sanitized support zip)

EDIT: Stupid old files... picked the April build when I was picking the files to patch and flash. Seeing if I can get back in to try again. Ugh.... Always clean up before flashing the newest build.

EDIT 2: Had to use the actual flash option for the pixel firmware provided by Google. Chose not wipe data and it flashed, booted back to system and data all intact. Silly mistake on my part but wanted to post my fix for others if they run in to it. I did test flashing with this tool again (twice) with no success before reverting to Google.

Attachments

• support.zip
    7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Wish I could say the same. Mine had all kinds of errors just now and I'm about to sort through it. Currently sitting in fastbootd after several error messages and it finishing out.

EDIT: Stupid old files... picked the April build when I was picking the files to patch and flash. Seeing if I can get back in to try again. Ugh.... Always clean up before flashing the newest build.

EDIT 2: Had to use the actual flash option for the pixel firmware provided by Google. Chose not wipe data and it flashed, booted back to system and data all intact. Silly mistake on my part but wanted to post my fix for others if they run in to it. I did test flashing with this tool again (twice) with no success before reverting to Google.
It looks like you have a bad connection, bad usb cable perhaps? or bad usb port?

Code:
Sending sparse 'product_a' 6/11 (262140 KB)        FAILED (Error reading sparse file)
fastboot: error: Command failed
rebooting to bootloader ...
< waiting for REDACTED >
Rebooting into bootloader                          FAILED (Write to device failed (no link))
Sleeping 5-10 seconds ...
flashing pf_boot ...
Warning: skip copying boot image avb footer (boot partition size: 0, boot image size: 67108864).
Sending 'boot' (65536 KB)                          FAILED (Write to device failed (no link))
rebooting to system ...
Rebooting                                          FAILED (Write to device failed (no link))

Lycidias

Is the "flash to both slots" option working now?
I've red A13 need to be flashed to both slots because of a bootloader upgrade and this could lead to a permanent brick.

Just asking because I had issues reported here in the past, when using flash to both slots

Reactions: jcp2

minhgi

IDK. I must have gotten lucky. This my third firmware upgrades using flasher without any problem. I make a backup using swift and pull the backup out the phone incase something went wrong. Had gone through few incidents where the upgrade complete mess up and don't have backup to return too.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Is the "flash to both slots" option working now?
I've red A13 need to be flashed to both slots because of a bootloader upgrade and this could lead to a permanent brick.

Just asking because I had issues reported here in the past, when using flash to both slots
I believe whether `flash to both slots` works or not is a function of device state.
From PixelFlasher perspective, when this option is selected, the additional fastboot option `--slot all`
is appended to the fastboot command, that is all and nothing else.

I moved to A13 without using `flash to both slots` and did not have any issues.

wgrant

Sep 23, 2011
It looks like you have a bad connection, bad usb cable perhaps? or bad usb port?

Code:
Sending sparse 'product_a' 6/11 (262140 KB)        FAILED (Error reading sparse file)
rebooting to bootloader ...
< waiting for REDACTED >
Rebooting into bootloader                          FAILED (Write to device failed (no link))
Sleeping 5-10 seconds ...
flashing pf_boot ...
Warning: skip copying boot image avb footer (boot partition size: 0, boot image size: 67108864).
Sending 'boot' (65536 KB)                          FAILED (Write to device failed (no link))
rebooting to system ...
Rebooting                                          FAILED (Write to device failed (no link))
I appreciate you checking the log. Connection is fine, never lost the phone at all. My issue was discovered immediately after I posted. I had selected the April firmware instead of the August one. Caused myself bootloops. The Google website flasher got me squared away. Not blaming the tool at all, it was completely user error.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
I appreciate you checking the log. Connection is fine, never lost the phone at all. My issue was discovered immediately after I posted. I had selected the April firmware instead of the August one. Caused myself bootloops. The Google website flasher got me squared away. Not blaming the tool at all, it was completely user error.
No worries, I didn't take it as criticism against the tool.
Still this message is usually displayed when the connection is dropped, typically due to bad connection,
Code:
 FAILED (Write to device failed (no link))

In any case happy to hear that it's all resolved.

mko000

Jul 27, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Huawei Nexus 6P
What could be the reason for PixelFlasher not finding Magisk on my phone? It's NOT hidden.
Pixel 6 Pro, Magisk 25.2, PixelFlasher 3.4.0.0

Code:
Deleting boot.img from phone in /storage/emulated/0/Download ...
Making sure boot.img is not on the phone in /storage/emulated/0/Download ...
Deleting magisk_patched.img from phone in /storage/emulated/0/Download ...
Making sure magisk_patched.img is not on the phone in /storage/emulated/0/Download ...
Transfering boot.img to the phone in /storage/emulated/0/Download ...
C:\Users\mko\AppData\Roaming\PixelFlasher\boot_images\96cc5fa24586345d91d9797399a8c6e7\boot.img: 1 file pushed, 0 skipped. 152.6 MB/s (67108864 bytes in 0.419s)

Making sure boot.img is found on the phone in /storage/emulated/0/Download ...
Magisk Tools not found on the phone
Looking for Magisk app ...
Unable to find magisk on the phone, perhaps it is hidden?

Happy to debug. Thanks in advance!

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
What could be the reason for PixelFlasher not finding Magisk on my phone? It's NOT hidden.
Pixel 6 Pro, Magisk 25.2, PixelFlasher 3.4.0.0

Code:
Deleting boot.img from phone in /storage/emulated/0/Download ...
Making sure boot.img is not on the phone in /storage/emulated/0/Download ...
Deleting magisk_patched.img from phone in /storage/emulated/0/Download ...
Making sure magisk_patched.img is not on the phone in /storage/emulated/0/Download ...
Transfering boot.img to the phone in /storage/emulated/0/Download ...
C:\Users\mko\AppData\Roaming\PixelFlasher\boot_images\96cc5fa24586345d91d9797399a8c6e7\boot.img: 1 file pushed, 0 skipped. 152.6 MB/s (67108864 bytes in 0.419s)

Making sure boot.img is found on the phone in /storage/emulated/0/Download ...
Magisk Tools not found on the phone
Looking for Magisk app ...
Unable to find magisk on the phone, perhaps it is hidden?

Happy to debug. Thanks in advance!
Check the main thread linked in op, basic usage point 2, see if that is the issue.

Reactions: mko000

mko000

Jul 27, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Huawei Nexus 6P
Check the main thread linked in op, basic usage point 2, see if that is the issue.
Thank you very much for your quick answer, that was indeed the problem.

If I remember correctly, I allowed it the first time I used PixelFlasher, but only for that one time. It seemed too dangerous to me, to just keep "shell" with superuser permissions. I thought it would request the permission again the next time, but I guess not.

banshee28

Aug 31, 2010
So I'm back! I finally decided to flash and wipe ALL data since I prev only dirty flashed from 12 to 13 Beta. Now I am trying to wipe all data and flash the latest factory image A13 to both slots. The phone will reboot to fastboot but hangs and gets error saying "unable to detect the device". I dont think this is due to Flasher, since Android flash tool does the same. However any idea what I can do to fix this?

So far I have only pressed start when it goes to fastboot and hangs. I can try cli but would like to use tool if possible.

It shows active slot is b. I tried to change to a and not sure if that worked, it still shows b after reboot?

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
So I'm back! I finally decided to flash and wipe ALL data since I prev only dirty flashed from 12 to 13 Beta. Now I am trying to wipe all data and flash the latest factory image A13 to both slots. The phone will reboot to fastboot but hangs and gets error saying "unable to detect the device". I dont think this is due to Flasher, since Android flash tool does the same. However any idea what I can do to fix this?

So far I have only pressed start when it goes to fastboot and hangs. I can try cli but would like to use tool if possible.

It shows active slot is b. I tried to change to a and not sure if that worked, it still shows b after reboot?
Perhaps slot a is corrupt and it goes back to b.
Try flashing one spot at a time.
First fash current and when it fully done, switch to the next slot, and don't try to reboot to system, stay in reactivity and flash.
Support.zip files would definitely help.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Thank you very much for your quick answer, that was indeed the problem.

If I remember correctly, I allowed it the first time I used PixelFlasher, but only for that one time. It seemed too dangerous to me, to just keep "shell" with superuser permissions. I thought it would request the permission again the next time, but I guess not.
Not sure what went on, perhaps magisk remembered your decision, this is not something I can control from PixelFlasher, especially if PixelFlasher can not get root access.

banshee28

Aug 31, 2010
Perhaps slot a is corrupt and it goes back to b.
Try flashing one spot at a time.
First fash current and when it fully done, switch to the next slot, and don't try to reboot to system, stay in reactivity and flash.
Support.zip files would definitely help.
So current active slot is b, and I unchecked Flash on both slots, and it does the same. Perhaps I should try going back to A12? I know thats a problem too, lol.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
So current active slot is b, and I unchecked Flash on both slots, and it does the same. Perhaps I should try going back to A12? I know thats a problem too, lol.
If you do not have the A13 bootloader on both slots, absolutely DO NOT go back to A12 unless you need another paperweight. And even if you do have the A13 bootloader on both slots, I still wouldn't go back to A12.

Reactions: banshee28

Top Liked Posts

New Release:
    Oct 03, 2022 v4.1.0 release

• Patching is now fully automatic with or without root.
      PixelFlasher uses installed Magisk Manager binaries to create a patch (root binaries are only used if Magisk Manager is not available / accessible)
      UIAutomator no longer necessary, neither asking the user to manually patch and click ok when done.
    • Added an option to set a hidden Magisk package name so that PixelFlasher can find the Magisk and use it, the user still has a choice to use root binaries.
    • Speed improvements for device property reading.
    • Speed improvements for Magisk modules reading.
    New Release:
    Sep 04, 2022 v3.7.0 release
    • New Feature: Install Magisk into the phone, PixelFlasher displays information about the latest available Magisk versions (stable, beta, canary, debug) and offers the choice to install a selection.
    • New Feature: Install compatible apk file onto the device from PixelFlasher menu.
    • Check Android Platform Tools version and warn if it is old.
    • Block flashing when stock flash_all.bat file is tampered with.
    • Don't bother with flashing if bootloader is locked.
    • More validations and exceptions handling.
    • Improved logging.
    PixelFlasher 4.0.0 pre-release:
    Sep 25, 2022 v4.0.0 pre-release
    • New Feature: On supported devices, where device is not yet rooted (or adb shell su not allowed), an option to control the Magisk Manager GUI (drive UI) to programmatically control the app through UIAutomator and create a patched boot.img
      See Patching flow chart for details.
    • New Feature: Detect if Magisk Manager is at a higher version than installed Magisk, warn the user of a potential rare corner case and offer a choice of patching method.
    • New Feature: Temporary Root, when flashing if you choose this option, the phone will be flashed with unpatched boot.img, but Live boot to patched boot.img to provide a temporary root.
    • New Feature: Warn the user to flash both bootloader slots if their device is a Tensor device (Pixel 6, Pixel 6a, Pixel 6 Pro), if current version of OS is lower than Android 13.
    • New Feature: Flash to inactive slot. Unlike OTA flashing factory image flashing is always done on the current active slot, with this option selected, PixelFlasher will write to inactive slot. This allows one to revert to current working state in case anything goes wrong. This feature combined with Temporary Flash provides best method to test a new firmware without risking losing current working setup.
      Note: You should avoid this option if you are on a Tensor device and are upgrading from Android 12 to Android 13 (see the previous feature).
    • New Feature: Detect and operate on devices that are in Sideload or Recovery mode.
    • New spinner to indicate PixelFlasher activity.
    • Renamed Reload button to Scan, to better reflect the button's function. After a scan print the count of devices found.
    • PixelFlasher previously used MD5 to uniquely identify boot images (patched or otherwise), with version 4.0.0 PixelFlasher now uses SHA1 instead of MD5.
      This has no bearing on the functionality, it just better aligns with Magisk way of identifying and tagging boot images.
    • PixelFlasher now extracts the embedded SHA1 of a Magisk Patched images (only available in newer devices) and assures that it matches the source boot.img's SHA1.
      This is just an extra validation.
    • Code cleanup / refactoring, adding more validations and exception handling.
    • Print debug details when encountering non compliant Magisk modules.
    • Firmware link now takes you to the device's download page instead of just the general download page.
    • To better reflect the file details, transferred and stored boot.img files are now suffixed by their shortened SHA1, while magisk_patched.img files are now suffixed by shortened SHA1 of their source boot.img.
    • Allow sideload even if bootloader is locked.
    Every few years or so, here on xda, an app (or script) comes along that really changes the game.
    This happens when an app is released with the certain "xda" development mindset: clear vision and a need for the apps' functionality, consistent development (with fast improvements), community feedback that's always respected by the dev and suggestions sometimes added to the app, and a finished product that is used by both newbies and veterans.

Seriously, this reminds me of the Nexus-7'13/Nexus-5 days where there were so many dedicated devs that created some awesome apps (kernel managers, partition scripts and other apps). It's awesome to see @badabing2003 doing cool things and just know that a ton of people really enjoy your work.
    I got it back to stock right away. If you want to pm me directions on how to pull the logs I offered them in my original post. And I didn't bash you or your application, just made the point that it did not work out well for me, I may use a different method this evening.
    Sorry if I missed any of your posts.
    I only see two posts from you
    First post here, and your follow up post here. None of which is offering any logs, because you wrongly assumed that all of that is lost in a bricked phone.

Did I by any chance allude you into thinking that I was seeing your posts as bashing me? Where? what gave you that idea?.

As for asking for directions on how to pull the logs, it's all here in my reply to your post.
    Makes me wonder ...
    Waste of time. Not going to provide anything. Nobody else has had any issues outside of a hiccup that was easily remedied. Some people just shouldn't root and flash. And I'm not being mean, but if something goes wrong, you shouldn't just go blaming everything and everybody else.
    I hear you, I can imagine the user's frustrations after finding themselves with a phone that is not working properly and not knowing how to get out of it.
    But the user's post doesn't help the situation, we're here to help out, and without any details, it's impossible to guess what had happened and what corrective actions to take.

Help us help you is what I would say.

I always would like to see the logs, just in case I can add another check / validation / warning to prevent a user from shooting themselves on the foot or fix a bug, we know things could go wrong, and not every scenario leads to the same outcome, anticipating the numerous scenarios we face or might face helps us add measures to prevent mishaps.
    PF_promo-banner.png
    This is the support thread of PixelFlasher for Google Pixel 6 Pro
    PixelFlasher is an open-source self contained GUI tool to facilitate Pixel phone device flashing/updating with extra features.

Basic mode: Should suit most users. Some of the features in basic mode are:
    • Simple UI interface, click and go. No more command line, no more placing all files in one directory.
    • boot.img management UI, select the boot.img file to patch and click the patch button. Fully Automated patching with Magisk (without user interaction) and perform upgrades without losing root.
      No more manually extracting files transferring to the phone, patching / re-flashing and doing multiple reboots.
      No more setting airplane mode and clearing storage to retain Safetynet passing.
    • Display details of boot.img.
      • SHA1 checksum.
      • Origin (file it was extracted from).
      • Whether it is patched or not, and if it is patched.
        • What version of Magisk was used to patch it.
        • On what device it was patched.
        • Date of patching.
        • The SHA1 of the source boot.img file.
      • Option to Live boot from a choice of boot.img.
    • Choose to keep data or wipe data while flashing.
    • Ability to flash even if multiple devices are connected to the computer.
    • Display information about the phone.
      • ID
      • Hardware model.
      • Current installed firmware (build).
      • If it is rooted with Magisk.
      • Magisk version (Magisk Tools).
      • Magisk Manager version (the app).
      • List installed Magisk modules.
      • Connection mode (Adb | Fastboot | Sideload | Recovery).
      • Bootloader version.
      • Android OS API version.
      • Convenient quick links to download Android platform tools or device firmware.
    • Magisk Manager installation UI, screenshot. Supported versions:
      • stable
      • beta
      • canary
      • debug
    • Magisk modules management, enable / disable modules selectively, this comes in handy to disable suspect modules before an upgrade screenshot:
      • Name
      • Version
      • Description
      • Enabled / Disabled.
    • Display Android Platform Tools (SDK) version and warn / block if the version is old.
    • Install APK file from the computer onto the device.
    • Advanced features are hidden to keep the interface simple and easy to follow.
    • A lot of checks and validations for smooth operation.
    • Automatic check for program updates.
    Expert mode: (should only be turned on by experienced users). In addition to the basic features, you get:
    • The ability to flash custom ROM (with or without patching boot.img)
    • Option to flash to both slots.
    • Option to flash to inactive slot.
    • Options to disable verity and or verification.
    • Ability to change the active slot.
    • Ability to live boot to custom boot.img (temporary root).
    • Ability to boot to recovery.
    • Ability to flash custom image: boot, recovery, radio, kernel, ...
    • Ability to sideload an image.
    • Lock / Unlock bootloader.
    • Option to gain temporary root (good for testing or checking things out).
    • SOS Disable Magisk modules to get out of bootloop (experimental).

For full details on where to download / usage and feature set of the tool, visit the main thread at XDA or the project's Github page.

Troubleshooting:
    Note: This thread is meant for issues and problems faced in Google Pixel 6 Pro devices, generic issues that are device agnostic should be discussed in the main thread.
    New Release:
    Sep 04, 2022 v3.7.0 release
    • New Feature: Install Magisk into the phone, PixelFlasher displays information about the latest available Magisk versions (stable, beta, canary, debug) and offers the choice to install a selection.
    • New Feature: Install compatible apk file onto the device from PixelFlasher menu.
    • Check Android Platform Tools version and warn if it is old.
    • Block flashing when stock flash_all.bat file is tampered with.
    • Don't bother with flashing if bootloader is locked.
    • More validations and exceptions handling.
    • Improved logging.
    PixelFlasher 4.0.0 pre-release:
    Sep 25, 2022 v4.0.0 pre-release
    • New Feature: On supported devices, where device is not yet rooted (or adb shell su not allowed), an option to control the Magisk Manager GUI (drive UI) to programmatically control the app through UIAutomator and create a patched boot.img
      See Patching flow chart for details.
    • New Feature: Detect if Magisk Manager is at a higher version than installed Magisk, warn the user of a potential rare corner case and offer a choice of patching method.
    • New Feature: Temporary Root, when flashing if you choose this option, the phone will be flashed with unpatched boot.img, but Live boot to patched boot.img to provide a temporary root.
    • New Feature: Warn the user to flash both bootloader slots if their device is a Tensor device (Pixel 6, Pixel 6a, Pixel 6 Pro), if current version of OS is lower than Android 13.
    • New Feature: Flash to inactive slot. Unlike OTA flashing factory image flashing is always done on the current active slot, with this option selected, PixelFlasher will write to inactive slot. This allows one to revert to current working state in case anything goes wrong. This feature combined with Temporary Flash provides best method to test a new firmware without risking losing current working setup.
      Note: You should avoid this option if you are on a Tensor device and are upgrading from Android 12 to Android 13 (see the previous feature).
    • New Feature: Detect and operate on devices that are in Sideload or Recovery mode.
    • New spinner to indicate PixelFlasher activity.
    • Renamed Reload button to Scan, to better reflect the button's function. After a scan print the count of devices found.
    • PixelFlasher previously used MD5 to uniquely identify boot images (patched or otherwise), with version 4.0.0 PixelFlasher now uses SHA1 instead of MD5.
      This has no bearing on the functionality, it just better aligns with Magisk way of identifying and tagging boot images.
    • PixelFlasher now extracts the embedded SHA1 of a Magisk Patched images (only available in newer devices) and assures that it matches the source boot.img's SHA1.
      This is just an extra validation.
    • Code cleanup / refactoring, adding more validations and exception handling.
    • Print debug details when encountering non compliant Magisk modules.
    • Firmware link now takes you to the device's download page instead of just the general download page.
    • To better reflect the file details, transferred and stored boot.img files are now suffixed by their shortened SHA1, while magisk_patched.img files are now suffixed by shortened SHA1 of their source boot.img.
    • Allow sideload even if bootloader is locked.
    New Release:
    April 17, 2022 v2.3.0 release
    • Optional automatic check for updates feature.
    • Added help menu links to:
      - Report an issue
      - Feature Request
      - PixelFlasher Project Page
      - PixelFlasher Community (Forum)
      - Homeboy76's Guide
      - V0latyle's Guide
      - Open Configuration Folder
      - Check for New Version
    • Icons for menu items.
    • Link to download Pixel Firmware.
    • Link to download Android Platform Tools.
    • Unlock Bootloader.
    • Lock Bootloader.
    • SOS (experimental) - disable Magisk modules to get out of bootloop.
    • Additional flashing options:
      - product
      - system
      - system_ext
      - system_other
      - vbmeta_system
      - vbmeta_vendor
    • Added sideload flashing option.
    • Updated documentation.
    • Further improved console messages for troubleshooting.
    • Linux build using Github Actions.
    • Manual build for Kali Linux.
    New Release: (See full details here on xda or here at github)
    April 03, 2022 v2.0.0.0-pre release.
    • Major refactoring
    • Added Advanced (Expert) mode UI.
    • Basic mode keeps UI simple and hides expert features.
    • Support for setting active slot.
    • Reboot options (recovery, system, bootloader)
    • Moved custom ROM options to expert mode.
    • Added custom flashing to expert mode, can now flash to live (temporary root), or custom flash any image to any partition.
    • Moved flashing to both slots, disabling verity / verification to expert mode.
    • Many other improvements, validations and checks.
    • Updated documentation.