Question PixelFlasher for Google Pixel 6 Support Thread.

Search This thread

badabing2003

Sep 17, 2012
Just successfully used 3.3.0 (started before I noticed that 3.3.1 was just updated), but not without some heartburn...

I had previously used pixel flasher to go from rooted 12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.015.A4, Oct 2021) to
12.1.0 (SP2A.220305.013.A3, Mar 2022) without any problems with version 1.2.0.1

and now 12.1.0 (SP2A.220305.013.A3, Mar 2022) to 12.1.0 (SP2A.220505.002, May 2022)
i have magisk hidden, so i manually did the process on the phone to patch the boot.img
did the dry run and no issues
so then i did "keep data" and flash

and it rebooted my phone, and rebooted and my phone, and oh crap a boot loop

(my kids then walked in from the pool and my wife wanted me to get dinner), so I paused on the unlock warning screen and went to go get dinner - panicking in the back of my mind)

came back hours later and used power+up / power+down to get it to go into bootloader, fastboot, adb sideload, adb rescue mode, googling to see what options I had from there, but most generic google searches came back with going to TWRP to replace X, Y, Z and I knew that wasn't an option....

the annoying thing was I couldn't do anything in adb, b/c it was unauthorized (but all for the better since i didnt mess anything up)

So I was going to see if maybe it was the fastboot current slot, so I changed from A to B, told fastboot to reboot and came back to fastboot, so I was going to reflash a stock march boot.img and see if it would get out of the boot loop. while downloading the factory image, I thought to check pixelflasher (that couldn't see my phone in all the other boot modes (adb sideload, adb rescue mode) and it showed as online?!?

so I clicked flashing thinking it would just give me an error and it all flashed through without a hiccup.
I crossed my fingers while it rebooted that it would get into a boot loop

then it all came up like nothing had happened.

did some app updates, checked the os update and it thought I still needed to update. rebooted and it said it was up to date.

out of an abundance of caution, I always download by photos and files and use swift backup to backup my apps, sms/mms, phone logs, etc. so even if i had to start over, I could get back to where i was, it would just be time consuming....

I have no idea why it bootlooped in the first place after successfully doing the dry run and then why it started to work hours later, but I'm glad it is back. time to go update my old S4 (that had lineage 14 to 19) that I used to google fixes while I at the restaurant waiting for the take out)...

windows 10 pro
pixel flasher 3.3.0
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.41
Version 33.0.1-8253317
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but am happy to learn that everything is working now.
If you could kindly share the support.zip file, I'll take a look and see what exactly happened. That helps immensely.

Reactions: freonchill

freonchill

Jul 11, 2011
Atlanta
This kind of an attitude is not conducive to a productive development community that's open to the lay public. It certainly doesn't help anybody who uses this thread to troubleshoot the tool. The use of these programs assumes that you accept the risk of something going wrong, even terribly wrong. We all make the decision to undertake this risk the moment we turn on developer mode; and yet you don't seem to acknowledge personal responsibility. If every person who experienced a boot loop and had to reflash the factory firmware behaved in this manner, I don't think lay folks like myself would be able to enjoy the work that these people produce and offer for free. After all, who would want to endure this kind of a response? One could be forgiven for questioning the sincerity expressed in your beginning/concluding remarks.

View attachment 5561217

DESCRIPTION

Disclaimer

Code:
PLEASE DO YOUR PART AND READ / SEARCH / RESEARCH BEFORE USING THIS PROGRAM
AND/OR ATTEMPTING ANY MODIFICATIONS ON YOUR DEVICE.
THIS PROGRAM ASSUMES THAT YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO AND HAVE ALREADY UNLOCKED
YOUR BOOTLOADER, ALREADY ROOTED YOUR DEVICE, AND KNOW HOW TO USE ANDROID SDK
PLATFORM-TOOLS, ETC.
THIS TOOL IS SIMPLY MY QUICK WAY OF UPDATING THE FIRMWARE WHILE ROOTED WITH
MAGISK, WITHOUT LOSING DATA / REQUIRING A WIPE.
MODIFYING YOUR DEVICE COMES WITH INHERENT RISKS, AND IT'S NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY
IF YOU LOSE YOUR DATA OR BRICK YOUR DEVICE. THE TOOL I SHARE HAVE WORKED FOR ME,
BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU MAY NOT RUN INTO PROBLEMS. **BACKUP YOUR DATA.**

First of all i want to say much respect to developers for making tools like this become a reality, warts n all :)

HOWEVER i will say that i am never ever going to mess with my phone again. I used to be an avid rommer/rooter back in the day and then left the scene for years until very recently.
I first rooted again at the april patch for the pixel 6 using Majisk guide and although was quite a few steps and a tiny bit fidly, it worked first time like a charm.
I do want to express my deepest thanks once again to the rooting/modding community because you guys make the seemingly impossible, possible, It's just for me.... I value my data more

@Ictcreations
First and foremost, I'm really sorry that you went through these troubles, although we all take risks when rooting and modding our phones, no one wants to lose data or worse brick their expensive phone. I know how you feel, and for that I feel your pain and anger.

I'm not dismissing the possibility of something being wrong in PixelFlasher, nothing is flawless, but it is highly unlikely that it was caused by PixelFlasher, had that been the case, all the folks before you (including myself) would have ran into the issue and this thread would be flooded with posts like yours.

1. disclaimer - your mileage may vary
2. BACKUP
3. BACKUP
4. BACKUP
5. I am glad they posted their experience because it echoes items 1-4
6. I am glad the writer of the tool replied in the way they did - REQUESTING FEEDBACK AND OFFERING SUPPORT TO BETTER THEIR APP - its the best for the whole community

I saw the posting of their personal experience and woes, as well as the OP reply when I was going through my panic yesterday and it reminded me that despite knowing the risks, and the time I would take to get it back in working order, I took on today when trying to update from the March release and May release.

When I got into a boot loop this afternoon, it wasn't what I wanted to do with several hours of my day, but it was the risk I took for the benefits I get by rooting. Otherwise, I could be like the masses and typically just be able to use the OTA, but I take the risk for the reward of the extra features.

I am technical in comparison to the people in my life that think I am crazy for rooting, but I am no computer programmer that could be a developer, to be able to understand the specifics for why this works, let along write an app to automate the process like badabing2003 has done for us.

I commend and thank badabing2003 for the time spent on this app, as though since I have come from the experience of the flashing and rooting several devices over the last 15ish years (B&N nook, ATT S4, HP touchpad, 1+5T, 5 different generations of Kindle Fire tablets, as well as countless of dd-wrt routers) doing the manual process of updating a rooted pixel6 was over my comfort level and badabing2003's ability to make it POINT AND CLICK has been a life send...

Flashing your daily driver can be a stressful situation and this app puts a comfort level on it.

Again, I commend and thank badabing2003 for the time spent on this app (and will be replying with the logs to hopefully help factor out the issue I had in the hope that it will be seamless for someone else in the future.

(and sorry for all the quotes and long post...)

freonchill

Jul 11, 2011
Atlanta
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but am happy to learn that everything is working now.
If you could kindly share the support.zip file, I'll take a look and see what exactly happened. That helps immensely.
Thanks and I commend and thank you - badabing2003 for the time spent on this app.

also, I don't know how you wrote this app, but I want to make a point that I ran this from a folder that I have since deleted, but you wrote it in such a way that I could re-download the app, run it, and save-out this log after deleting the original folder - BRILLIANT! (maybe not good for portability to take everything and not leave logs in various places (cruft, but great that I can still provide this information)

Attachments

• support.zip
    7.7 KB · Views: 10

badabing2003

Sep 17, 2012
@rhetorician and @freonchill

First and foremost, thanks for your support.

I want to say that, people have the right to get angry, and when they get angry they want to blame something / someone, and often not themselves, this is normal human behavior and I accept it, specially more if the blame is correctly aimed.

To correctly aim the blame, it requires cooler heads, open mindedness and effort to dig and understand the details of the events.
Not everyone has the skills or the patience or the proper tools to do that type of analysis, hence why I added an option in PixelFlasher to generate a sanitized (all sensitive information redacted) support.zip file.

Like both of you have done, providing this file, not only helps me understand / discover any shortcomings in the PixelFlasher, but it also exposes potential issues in user's environment, or an oversight in the sequence of steps taken.

As you both correctly pointed out, providing support.zip helps everyone / the community, no program or process is flawless, and only with iterative improvements it gets better and more robust, and everyone benefits when it does.

@freonchill
I will take this opportunity to dissect your logs and color comment on everything that happened in as much details as I can. I will make a separate post of that in the main thread instead of here, but will link it here when done. That is more of a generic post rather than anything specific to Pixel 6 and it benefits more if posted in the main thread.

I think it could help others to understand better what goes on while the program is running, and perhaps help them self troubleshoot issues before getting angry (if they're inclined to do so).

badabing2003

Sep 17, 2012
Can i use PixelFlasher with locked Bootloader or only with unlocked Bootloader?

It is an absolute requirement that you have an unlocked bootloader to flash / patch your phone.
If you turn on advanced mode, PixelFlasher has a button to unlock the bootloader, this assuming that your phone bootloader is unlockable and you did turn on developer mode and did set the proper options.
It basically issues the same command that the guides tell you, nothing more nothing less.

badabing2003

Sep 17, 2012
What you mean with right option?
Guides, guides, guides.
Linked everywhere (in OP, in help menu of the app), the basis of the tool.
From Homeboy76's guide
1653226916147.png

From V0latyle's guide
1653226954811.png

These are all manual steps that cannot be automated and are absolute per-requisites.
Once those are done, and you can select the device in PixelFlasher, then you can continue unlocking in PixelFlasher if you wish, it will do the reboot and issue the command `fastboot flashing unlock` and warn you that you would be wiping your phone ...

Hot-Proton

May 11, 2019
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have make a test with Dry Run and get error: The system cannot find the specified path.
But the Path is correct.

Code:
PixelFlasher 3.3.1.0 started on 2022-05-23 08:12:29
{
    "advanced_options": false,
    "boot_id": 1,
    "custom_rom": false,
    "custom_rom_path": null,
    "device": "23071FDF6005C2",
    "disable_verification": false,
    "disable_verity": false,
    "fastboot_verbose": false,
    "firmware_path": "D:\\Software_Tools\\Multimedia\\Medien-Ger\u00e4te\\Handy\\Backup\\Rom\\Pixel 6\\oriole-sp2a.220505.002-factory-3238ed95.zip",
    "flash_both_slots": false,
    "height": 849,
    "magisk": "com.topjohnwu.magisk",
    "mode": "dryRun",
    "phone_path": "/storage/emulated/0/Download",
    "platform_tools_path": "D:\\Software_Tools\\Multimedia\\Medien-Ger\u00e4te\\Handy\\PixelFlasher\\platform-tools",
    "pos_x": 360,
    "pos_y": 98,
    "selected_boot_md5": "d349fbb3729856a0adbb055eae7055e7",
    "update_check": true,
    "verbose": false,
    "version": "3.3.1.0",
    "width": 1210
}

2022-05-23 08:12:29 Selected Platform Tools Path:
D:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Medien-Geräte\Handy\PixelFlasher\platform-tools.
SDK Version: 33.0.1-8253317

Please select a boot.img!

Loading Device list ...
This could take a while, please be patient.

Selected Device on 2022-05-23 08:12:29:
    Device ID:          23071FDF6005C2
    Device Model:       oriole
    Device is Rooted:   None
    Device Build:      
    Device Active Slot: b
    Device Mode:        f.b

Load time: 1 seconds

Selected Boot: d349fbb3729856a0adbb055eae7055e7 from image: D:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Medien-Geräte\Handy\Backup\Rom\Pixel 6\oriole-sp2a.220505.002-factory-3238ed95.zip

Selected Device on 2022-05-23 08:12:59:
    Device ID:          23071FDF6005C2
    Device Model:       oriole
    Device is Rooted:   None
    Device Build:      
    Device Active Slot: b
    Device Mode:        f.b

Android SDK Version:    33.0.1-8253317
Device:                 23071FDF6005C2 oriole
Factory Image:          D:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Medien-Geräte\Handy\Backup\Rom\Pixel 6\oriole-sp2a.220505.002-factory-3238ed95.zip

Boot image:             d349fbb3 / d349fbb3
                        From: D:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Medien-Geräte\Handy\Backup\Rom\Pixel 6\oriole-sp2a.220505.002-factory-3238ed95.zip

Flash Mode:             dryRun

Note: Pressing OK button will invoke a script that will utilize
fastboot commands, if your PC fastboot drivers are not propely setup,
fastboot will wait forever, and PixelFlasher will appear hung.
In such cases, killing the fastboot process will resume to normalcy.

Do you want to continue to flash with the above options?
              Press OK to continue or CANCEL to abort.

2022-05-23 08:13:08 User Pressed Ok.

==============================================================================
 2022-05-23 08:13:08 PixelFlasher 3.3.1.0              Flashing Phone  
==============================================================================
2022-05-23 08:13:08 Flashing device 23071FDF6005C2 ...
"D:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Medien-Geräte\Handy\PixelFlasher\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s 23071FDF6005C2  flash bootloader bootloader-oriole-slider-1.1-8244211.img
The system cannot find the specified path.
"D:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Medien-Geräte\Handy\PixelFlasher\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s 23071FDF6005C2  flash radio radio-oriole-g5123b-97927-220225-b-8226700.img
"D:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Medien-Geräte\Handy\PixelFlasher\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s 23071FDF6005C2  --skip-reboot update image-oriole-sp2a.220505.002.zip
rebooting to bootloader ...
"D:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Medien-Geräte\Handy\PixelFlasher\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s 23071FDF6005C2 reboot bootloader
Sleeping 5-10 seconds ...
flashing pf_boot ...
"D:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Medien-Geräte\Handy\PixelFlasher\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s 23071FDF6005C2  flash boot pf_boot.img
rebooting to system ...
2022-05-23 08:13:24 Done!
Flashing elapsed time: 17 seconds

badabing2003

Sep 17, 2012
@Hot-Proton
1- did the phone for back to system as it was supposed to?
2- can you please run again the dryRun but this time with console verbose on and provide support.zip?

Thanks

badabing2003

Sep 17, 2012
Can you please run this from command line?
If the phone is in adb mode
Code:
"D:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Medien-Geräte\Handy\PixelFlasher\platform-tools\adb.exe" -s 23071FDF6005C2 devices

If the phone is in fastboot mode
Code:
"D:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Medien-Geräte\Handy\PixelFlasher\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s 23071FDF6005C2 devices

And can you please provide me this file?
Code:
C:\Users\martin\AppData\Roaming\PixelFlasher\factory_images\oriole-sp2a.220505.002\flash-phone.bat

Thanks

Hot-Proton

May 11, 2019
OnePlus 9 Pro
Can you please run this from command line?
If the phone is in adb mode
Code:
"D:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Medien-Geräte\Handy\PixelFlasher\platform-tools\adb.exe" -s 23071FDF6005C2 devices

If the phone is in fastboot mode
Code:
"D:\Software_Tools\Multimedia\Medien-Geräte\Handy\PixelFlasher\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s 23071FDF6005C2 devices
And can you please provide me this file?
Code:
C:\Users\martin\AppData\Roaming\PixelFlasher\factory_images\oriole-sp2a.220505.002\flash-phone.bat

Thanks

Here the file. The ADB Commands working whene remove "

Attachments

• flash-all.rar
    687 bytes · Views: 7

badabing2003

Sep 17, 2012
Please edit this file
Code:
C:\Users\REDACTED\AppData\Roaming\PixelFlasher\factory_images\oriole-sp2a.220505.002\flash-phone.bat

You would see the first line to be:
Code:
chcp 850

Please change it to
Code:
chcp 1252

and run that script from command window.
Let me know if you still get that error.

One other thing.
I see a dot after 850
Do you see that in that file?
If yes, let me know if removing that dot and keeping it as 850 works?

what do you get when you run the following command
Code:
chcp

Hot-Proton

May 11, 2019
OnePlus 9 Pro
Please edit this file
Code:
C:\Users\REDACTED\AppData\Roaming\PixelFlasher\factory_images\oriole-sp2a.220505.002\flash-phone.bat

You would see the first line to be:
Code:
chcp 850

Please change it to
Code:
chcp 1252

and run that script from command window.
Let me know if you still get that error.

Dont see chcp in the flash_all?

whene i enter chcp i get this:

c:\Users\martin\AppData\Roaming\PixelFlasher\factory_images\oriole-sp2a.220505.002>chcp
Aktive Codepage: 850.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update:
    June 06, 2022 v3.3.3 release
    • Bug Fix: When choosing custom ROM, the ROM file was not being copied to the package directory.
    • Update Documentation and screenshots.
    it doesn't work in windows 11 dev
    Are you talking about Windows 11 Insider builds? Which build?
    What exactly does not work? What happens at what point?
    Sorry I don't have /use Insider builds, so the only way I can figure this out is by your or others feedback, as detailed as possible.
    Don't run as administrator.
    Thanks
    Latest version worked perfectly for updating to the June firmware.
    This software just makes life so much easier! Thank you!
    Update:
    June 12,2022 v3.3.4 release
    • Bug fix on MacOS / Linux
    • Improved notice message about Fastboot process.
    PF_promo-banner.png

This is the support thread of PixelFlasher for Google Pixel 6
    PixelFlasher is an open-source self contained GUI tool to facilitate Pixel phone device flashing/updating with extra features.

Basic mode: Should suit most users. Some of the features in basic mode are:
    • Simple UI interface, click and go. No more command line.
    • Fully automated, pre-patch factory image with Magisk (without user interaction) and perform upgrades without losing root.
      No more manually extracting files transferring to the phone, patching / re-flashing and doing multiple reboots.
      No more setting airplane mode and clearing storage to retain Safetynet passing.
      (This Assumes that the phone was previously rooted with Magisk)
    • Choose to keep data or wipe data.
    • Ability to flash even if multiple devices are connected to the computer.
    • Display information about the phone.
      • id
      • hardware
      • current installed firmware.
      • if it is rooted with Magisk.
      • Magisk version
      • connection mode.
    • Display Android Platform Tools (SDK) version.
    • Advanced features are hidden to keep the interface simple and easy to follow.
    • A lot of checks and validations for smooth operation.
    Expert mode: (should only be turned on by experienced users). In addition to the basic features, you get:
    • The ability to flash custom ROM (with or without patching boot.img)
    • Option to flash to both slots.
    • Options to disable verity and or verification.
    • Ability to change the active slot.
    • Ability to live boot to custom boot.img (temporary root).
    • Ability to boot to recovery.
    • Ability to flash custom image: boot, recovery, radio, kernel, ...
    • Ability to sideload an image.
    • Lock / Unlock bootloader.
    • Disable Magisk modules to get out of bootloop (experimental).

For full details on where to download / usage and feature set of the tool, visit the main thread at XDA or the project's Github page.

Troubleshooting:

Note: This thread is meant for issues and problems faced in Google Pixel 6 devices, generic issues that are device agnostic should be discussed in the main thread.
    Thank you for the consideration.
    No donation, this is simply giving back to the community that has given me a lot over the years.
    Update:
    Version 2.0.1 which includes a hotfix for issue reported here.
    New Release:
    April 17, 2022 v2.3.0 release
    • Optional automatic check for updates feature.
    • Added help menu links to:
      - Report an issue
      - Feature Request
      - PixelFlasher Project Page
      - PixelFlasher Community (Forum)
      - Homeboy76's Guide
      - V0latyle's Guide
      - Open Configuration Folder
      - Check for New Version
    • Icons for menu items.
    • Link to download Pixel Firmware.
    • Link to download Android Platform Tools.
    • Unlock Bootloader.
    • Lock Bootloader.
    • SOS (experimental) - disable Magisk modules to get out of bootloop.
    • Additional flashing options:
      - product
      - system
      - system_ext
      - system_other
      - vbmeta_system
      - vbmeta_vendor
    • Added sideload flashing option.
    • Updated documentation.
    • Further improved console messages for troubleshooting.
    • Linux build using Github Actions.
    • Manual build for Kali Linux.
    first of all, thanks for making this, I was nervous after having some confusing conversations about the rooted updating process and have put it off for a while.

had a random adb disconnect at the start, but after I replugged and started again - it worked perfectly
    rooted, flashed shipping firmware (12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.019.C2,Oct 2021) to current ((SP2A.220305.013.A3, Mar 2022))

did the package prep, dry run, keep data / dirty flash