Themes / Apps / Mods PixelFlasher for Google Pixel 6a Support Thread.

Search This thread

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
PF_promo-banner.png

This is the support thread of PixelFlasher for Google Pixel 6a
PixelFlasher is an open-source self contained GUI tool to facilitate Pixel phone device flashing/updating with extra features.

Basic mode: Should suit most users. Some of the features in basic mode are:
  • Simple UI interface, click and go. No more command line, no more placing all files in one directory.
  • boot.img management UI, select the boot.img file to patch and click the patch button. Fully Automated patching with Magisk (without user interaction) and perform upgrades without losing root.
    No more manually extracting files transferring to the phone, patching / re-flashing and doing multiple reboots.
    No more setting airplane mode and clearing storage to retain Safetynet passing.
  • Display details of boot.img.
    • SHA1 checksum.
    • Origin (file it was extracted from).
    • Whether it is patched or not, and if it is patched.
      • What version of Magisk was used to patch it.
      • On what device it was patched.
      • Date of patching.
      • The SHA1 of the source boot.img file.
    • Option to Live boot from a choice of boot.img.
  • Choose to keep data or wipe data while flashing.
  • Ability to flash even if multiple devices are connected to the computer.
  • Display information about the phone.
    • ID
    • Hardware model.
    • Current installed firmware (build).
    • If it is rooted with Magisk.
    • Magisk version (Magisk Tools).
    • Magisk Manager version (the app).
    • List installed Magisk modules.
    • Connection mode (Adb | Fastboot | Sideload | Recovery).
    • Bootloader version.
    • Android OS API version.
    • Convenient quick links to download Android platform tools or device firmware.
  • Magisk Manager installation UI, screenshot. Supported versions:
    • stable
    • beta
    • canary
    • debug
  • Magisk modules management, enable / disable modules selectively, this comes in handy to disable suspect modules before an upgrade screenshot:
    • Name
    • Version
    • Description
    • Enabled / Disabled.
  • Display Android Platform Tools (SDK) version and warn / block if the version is old.
  • Install APK file from the computer onto the device.
  • Advanced features are hidden to keep the interface simple and easy to follow.
  • A lot of checks and validations for smooth operation.
  • Automatic check for program updates.
Expert mode: (should only be turned on by experienced users). In addition to the basic features, you get:
  • The ability to flash custom ROM (with or without patching boot.img)
  • Option to flash to both slots.
  • Option to flash to inactive slot.
  • Options to disable verity and or verification.
  • Ability to change the active slot.
  • Ability to live boot to custom boot.img (temporary root).
  • Ability to boot to recovery.
  • Ability to flash custom image: boot, recovery, radio, kernel, ...
  • Ability to sideload an image.
  • Lock / Unlock bootloader.
  • Option to gain temporary root (good for testing or checking things out).
  • SOS Disable Magisk modules to get out of bootloop (experimental).

For full details on where to download / usage and feature set of the tool, visit the main thread at XDA or the project's Github page.

Troubleshooting:
  • See this post.
  • Generate Sanitized support.zip file (File Menu) and submit that with your report.
Note: This thread is meant for issues and problems faced in Google Pixel 6a devices, generic issues that are device agnostic should be discussed in the main thread.

Last edited:

chopt51

Jun 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
Google Pixel 7
This seems interesting. I was just looking into options to disable verity and or verification, root, and flash a custom kernel. It seems this application is an all in one. If all goes as planned, will my data and apps remain? Or am I basically starting all over. My bootloader is already unlocked. Thanks for sharing.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
This seems interesting. I was just looking into options to disable verity and or verification, root, and flash a custom kernel. It seems this application is an all in one. If all goes as planned, will my data and apps remain? Or am I basically starting all over. My bootloader is already unlocked. Thanks for sharing.
If you don't choose wipe data, or force in flash options, then you should keep your data.

tlxxxsracer

Jul 28, 2010
San Jose
I have my 6a connected with usb. I chose where my platform tools are in a directory but it doesnt find a device via adb. Yet cmd shows an adb connection.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
usb debugging was on. when I run an adb/fastboot in cmd within the same directory my device is recognized
Please be clear and explicit, exactly what you ran and what response you got, please also generate support.zip file from the help menu of PixelFlasher and post it here.
There is no reason for it not to be detected if you're command detects it.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
New Release:
Aug 24, 2022 v3.6.0 release
  • When a device is selected, the Bootloader version is displayed. (Useful for Pixel 6* devices with ARB). Works in adb and fastboot modes.
  • Added a button to dump full device info (useful for troubleshooting). Works in adb and fastboot modes.
  • Improved tooltips.

Reactions: f0li0 and Meloferz

jpdurand31

May 5, 2016
Hello,

I have a pixel 6a on A12 rooted with Magisk.
I tried to upgrade to A13 with PixelFlasher (v3.6.0) with the option to flash all the slots and now I'm stuck in loop.
I tried to use fastboot command to flash again with A13 with no result. I also tried to change the current slot.
The weird thing is that I still have the message that said the bootloader is unlocked...

Any ideas?

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Hello,

I have a pixel 6a on A12 rooted with Magisk.
I tried to upgrade to A13 with PixelFlasher (v3.6.0) with the option to flash all the slots and now I'm stuck in loop.
I tried to use fastboot command to flash again with A13 with no result. I also tried to change the current slot.
The weird thing is that I still have the message that said the bootloader is unlocked...

Any ideas?
If you can post support.zip file from help menu I can take a look.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
If you want more info, i'm 100% available!
Hmmm ...
I don't see any flashing logs in PixelFlasher, are you sure you flashed in PixelFlasher?

I see you started with PixelFlasher 3.4.0 and upgraded to 3.6.0; good

I see at first you did not have Android Platform Tools installed, and then had version 28.0.2-debian; bad, this is an old version, you should click on the blue link next to the Android Platform Tools and download the latest (don't install from package manager, those are usually old, just download the latest and unpack wherever you want, and point to it in PixelFlasher)

You started in adb mode (good), processed the firmware in PixelFlasher, but that is where you stopped, you did not attempt flashing in PixelFlasher (not sure what you did, but it would help to know)

On next attempt (one hour later) your device was in bootloader mode.

Then you tried disabling magisk, which didn't work because that feature requires adb mode, and your phone is stuck in fastboot mode.

You cannot create a patch file in fastboot mode, it needs to be in adb mode.

And please please don't dare to lock your bootloader, I see you attempted and then cancelled,

Code:
2022-09-02 18:25:29 Lock Bootloader
         WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!

NEVER, EVER LOCK THE BOOTLOADER WITHOUT REVERTING
TO STOCK FIRMWARE OR YOUR PHONE WILL BE BRICKED!!!

Do you want to continue to Lock the device bootloader?
       Press OK to continue or CANCEL to abort.

2022-09-02 18:25:42 User Pressed Cancel.
Aborting ...

If you lock your bootloader before fixing your device, you will be locked out forever (bricked)

So at this point what are your choice and how can you fix this?
1- get the latest Android Platform Tools
2- If PixelFlasher detects your device, check if it is in fastboot mode (f.b) or adb mode.

Select the firmware, process it, this will show the boot.img file
Select the boot.img file and choose keep data and hit Flash.
Yes I know, you will lose root because you're not flashing a patched boot.img, but you can always re-root if you recover your device.

Alternately, what happens if you select in PixelFlasher to reboot the device into System.
Does it reboot? and if it does, does it end up in adb mode of fastboot mode?

One other option you have is to flash OTA in sideload mode.

Report back, and make sure you capture all the manual steps you perform outside of PixelFlasher.
PixelFlasher logs would tell me everything you do in PixelFlasher, you can submit a new one after your operations.

Good luck

jpdurand31

May 5, 2016
Thanks for your response and the detailed process.

I was fooled by the version of the package that was in 33...
By upgrading the Android Platform Tools to the latest version, I could update to Android 13.

Thanks a lot for the help and the reactivity!

Reactions: badabing2003

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
New Release:
Sep 04, 2022 v3.7.0 release
  • New Feature: Install Magisk into the phone, PixelFlasher displays information about the latest available Magisk versions (stable, beta, canary, debug) and offers the choice to install a selection.
  • New Feature: Install compatible apk file onto the device from PixelFlasher menu.
  • Check Android Platform Tools version and warn if it is old.
  • Block flashing when stock flash_all.bat file is tampered with.
  • Don't bother with flashing if bootloader is locked.
  • More validations and exceptions handling.
  • Improved logging.

JudasD

Aug 16, 2007
3.7.0 does not start for me on Windows 10. It never appears in my task list as running. 3.6.0 is working fine.

Last edited:

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
3.7.0 does not start for me on Windows 10. It never appears in my task list as running. 3.6.0 is working fine.
Thanks for reporting and sorry for your troubles.
Can you please open a command prompt, navigate to PixelFlasher 3.7.0 and run it from command prompt (just type PixelFlasher.exe), see if it displays an error in the console.

Can you also please generate a support.zip file using PixelFlasher 3.6.0 ?
It should capture the error PixelFlasher 3.7.0 encountered.

JudasD

Aug 16, 2007
Thank you for the help. The issue has now been resolved after reboot.
Launching 3.7.0 via cli displayed no error message. I went to create support.zip with 3.6.0 and my computer BSODed. After reboot, 3.7.0 runs just fine. Apologies for the false alarm.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Thank you for the help. The issue has now been resolved after reboot.
Launching 3.7.0 via cli displayed no error message. I went to create support.zip with 3.6.0 and my computer BSODed. After reboot, 3.7.0 runs just fine. Apologies for the false alarm.
No need for apology, happy to hear that the issue now resolved.

mike.s

Apr 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
Not sure if this should be of concern, but upgrading to today's Android release, I got this (very early on, while selecting the device and firmware):

Code:
2022-09-12 18:44:06 ERROR: Exception during Magisk modules processing
Exception: not enough values to unpack (expected 2, got 1)

Everything seemed to work fine, though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PF_promo-banner.png

This is the support thread of PixelFlasher for Google Pixel 6a
    PixelFlasher is an open-source self contained GUI tool to facilitate Pixel phone device flashing/updating with extra features.

Basic mode: Should suit most users. Some of the features in basic mode are:
    • Simple UI interface, click and go. No more command line, no more placing all files in one directory.
    • boot.img management UI, select the boot.img file to patch and click the patch button. Fully Automated patching with Magisk (without user interaction) and perform upgrades without losing root.
      No more manually extracting files transferring to the phone, patching / re-flashing and doing multiple reboots.
      No more setting airplane mode and clearing storage to retain Safetynet passing.
    • Display details of boot.img.
      • SHA1 checksum.
      • Origin (file it was extracted from).
      • Whether it is patched or not, and if it is patched.
        • What version of Magisk was used to patch it.
        • On what device it was patched.
        • Date of patching.
        • The SHA1 of the source boot.img file.
      • Option to Live boot from a choice of boot.img.
    • Choose to keep data or wipe data while flashing.
    • Ability to flash even if multiple devices are connected to the computer.
    • Display information about the phone.
      • ID
      • Hardware model.
      • Current installed firmware (build).
      • If it is rooted with Magisk.
      • Magisk version (Magisk Tools).
      • Magisk Manager version (the app).
      • List installed Magisk modules.
      • Connection mode (Adb | Fastboot | Sideload | Recovery).
      • Bootloader version.
      • Android OS API version.
      • Convenient quick links to download Android platform tools or device firmware.
    • Magisk Manager installation UI, screenshot. Supported versions:
      • stable
      • beta
      • canary
      • debug
    • Magisk modules management, enable / disable modules selectively, this comes in handy to disable suspect modules before an upgrade screenshot:
      • Name
      • Version
      • Description
      • Enabled / Disabled.
    • Display Android Platform Tools (SDK) version and warn / block if the version is old.
    • Install APK file from the computer onto the device.
    • Advanced features are hidden to keep the interface simple and easy to follow.
    • A lot of checks and validations for smooth operation.
    • Automatic check for program updates.
    Expert mode: (should only be turned on by experienced users). In addition to the basic features, you get:
    • The ability to flash custom ROM (with or without patching boot.img)
    • Option to flash to both slots.
    • Option to flash to inactive slot.
    • Options to disable verity and or verification.
    • Ability to change the active slot.
    • Ability to live boot to custom boot.img (temporary root).
    • Ability to boot to recovery.
    • Ability to flash custom image: boot, recovery, radio, kernel, ...
    • Ability to sideload an image.
    • Lock / Unlock bootloader.
    • Option to gain temporary root (good for testing or checking things out).
    • SOS Disable Magisk modules to get out of bootloop (experimental).

For full details on where to download / usage and feature set of the tool, visit the main thread at XDA or the project's Github page.

Troubleshooting:
    • See this post.
    • Generate Sanitized support.zip file (File Menu) and submit that with your report.
    Note: This thread is meant for issues and problems faced in Google Pixel 6a devices, generic issues that are device agnostic should be discussed in the main thread.
    PixelFlasher 4.0.0 pre-release:
    Sep 25, 2022 v4.0.0 pre-release
    • New Feature: On supported devices, where device is not yet rooted (or adb shell su not allowed), an option to control the Magisk Manager GUI (drive UI) to programmatically control the app through UIAutomator and create a patched boot.img
      See Patching flow chart for details.
    • New Feature: Detect if Magisk Manager is at a higher version than installed Magisk, warn the user of a potential rare corner case and offer a choice of patching method.
    • New Feature: Temporary Root, when flashing if you choose this option, the phone will be flashed with unpatched boot.img, but Live boot to patched boot.img to provide a temporary root.
    • New Feature: Warn the user to flash both bootloader slots if their device is a Tensor device (Pixel 6, Pixel 6a, Pixel 6 Pro), if current version of OS is lower than Android 13.
    • New Feature: Flash to inactive slot. Unlike OTA flashing factory image flashing is always done on the current active slot, with this option selected, PixelFlasher will write to inactive slot. This allows one to revert to current working state in case anything goes wrong. This feature combined with Temporary Flash provides best method to test a new firmware without risking losing current working setup.
      Note: You should avoid this option if you are on a Tensor device and are upgrading from Android 12 to Android 13 (see the previous feature).
    • New Feature: Detect and operate on devices that are in Sideload or Recovery mode.
    • New spinner to indicate PixelFlasher activity.
    • Renamed Reload button to Scan, to better reflect the button's function. After a scan print the count of devices found.
    • PixelFlasher previously used MD5 to uniquely identify boot images (patched or otherwise), with version 4.0.0 PixelFlasher now uses SHA1 instead of MD5.
      This has no bearing on the functionality, it just better aligns with Magisk way of identifying and tagging boot images.
    • PixelFlasher now extracts the embedded SHA1 of a Magisk Patched images (only available in newer devices) and assures that it matches the source boot.img's SHA1.
      This is just an extra validation.
    • Code cleanup / refactoring, adding more validations and exception handling.
    • Print debug details when encountering non compliant Magisk modules.
    • Firmware link now takes you to the device's download page instead of just the general download page.
    • To better reflect the file details, transferred and stored boot.img files are now suffixed by their shortened SHA1, while magisk_patched.img files are now suffixed by shortened SHA1 of their source boot.img.
    • Allow sideload even if bootloader is locked.
    If you don't choose wipe data, or force in flash options, then you should keep your data.
    Update Release:
    Oct 05, 2022 v4.1.4 release
    • Rooted Magisk patching will now automatically back up stock-boot.img (more to come).
    • Bug Fix #27, handle version exception.
    New Release:
    Aug 24, 2022 v3.6.0 release
    • When a device is selected, the Bootloader version is displayed. (Useful for Pixel 6* devices with ARB). Works in adb and fastboot modes.
    • Added a button to dump full device info (useful for troubleshooting). Works in adb and fastboot modes.
    • Improved tooltips.