Themes / Apps / Mods ðŸ“³ðŸ”¥PixelFlasher for Google Pixel 7 Support Thread.

Search This thread

erezmil

Jan 28, 2014
just to be clear before i start the process
all i need before starting with the pixel flasher is unlocked bootloader and the root itself is through the flasher?
and after the first time, would i be able to get OTAs and remain rooted?
thanks

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
just to be clear before i start the process
all i need before starting with the pixel flasher is unlocked bootloader and the root itself is through the flasher?
and after the first time, would i be able to get OTAs and remain rooted?
thanks
All you need is an unlocked bootloader , factory image, Android platform tools
Everything else is done in PF
And no, if you are rooted, you will not be able to receive OTAs
What you would do instead is every month you would download the latest factory image and flash through PF (same process)

Reactions: PsyCl0ne

t-ryder

Feb 23, 2011
www.t-ryder.de
Google Pixel 6
Would it be possible to implement an additional mode to flash the official OTA images for locked bootloader devices? I want to keep my BL locked and system non-rooted - tired of the tinkering, but real "in-system" OTA process sucks.

Like starting the app and having an option to switch to unlocked bootoader funny wonderland mode /// OR /// just flash the OTA with one click after (having dev options / ADB enabled) providing the file's path?

Installing OTAs from the regular system update is ridiculously slow sometimes even having just some MB of OTA (because of the slot A/B stuff).

Like having this as mode in Pixel Flasher:
yummy.png

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Would it be possible to implement an additional mode to flash the official OTA images for locked bootloader devices? I want to keep my BL locked and system non-rooted - tired of the tinkering, but real "in-system" OTA process sucks.

Like starting the app and having an option to switch to unlocked bootoader funny wonderland mode /// OR /// just flash the OTA with one click after (having dev options / ADB enabled) providing the file's path?

Installing OTAs from the regular system update is ridiculously slow sometimes even having just some MB of OTA (because of the slot A/B stuff).

Like having this as mode in Pixel Flasher:
View attachment 5770223

Good to see you back @t-ryder

I'm heading out now, upon my return or tomorrow (in case I return late) I'll read this in detail, but in the meantime have you checked the built in option SIDELOAD
1669415232384.png

This is done to flash OTA
PF will reboot to sideload issuing this command
adb reboot sideload

t-ryder

Feb 23, 2011
www.t-ryder.de
Google Pixel 6
Good to see you back @t-ryder

I'm heading out now, upon my return or tomorrow (in case I return late) I'll read this in detail, but in the meantime have you checked the built in option SIDELOAD
View attachment 5770343

This is done to flash OTA
PF will reboot to sideload issuing this command
adb reboot sideload
Yes, nice to see you keeping it up. Got me a Pixel 7 after the OnePlus 9 was a letdown and the Realme GT2 pro did not make me happy totally.

So the OTA flashing for non bootloader unlocked devices is already there? I did not check PF for some time now. My bad if I did not get it.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
Yes, nice to see you keeping it up. Got me a Pixel 7 after the OnePlus 9 was a letdown and the Realme GT2 pro did not make me happy totally.

So the OTA flashing for non bootloader unlocked devices is already there? I did not check PF for some time now. My bad if I did not get it.
Congrats for your new phone.
Yes OTA flashing is there, and no worries of not seeing it, the UI (not my best skill) is not the best (and the chosen platform doesn't help), some of the features are obscured and can only be discovered by clicking around.

Reactions: t-ryder

BetaPix

Nov 15, 2014
Redmi K20 Pro
Thank you OP for your hard work and for making our life on Pixel phones much easier :)
I rooted my Pixel 7 the day after I bought it, and I can't remember if I disabled dm-verity and avb during the unlocking process (I think I ticked those flags but I'm not 100% sure). How can I check my dm-verity and avb's actual status? If they are disabled, can I re-enable them at the next update through PixelFlasher without being forced to wipe data? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Reactions: badabing2003

t-ryder

Feb 23, 2011
www.t-ryder.de
Google Pixel 6
Congrats for your new phone.
Yes OTA flashing is there, and no worries of not seeing it, the UI (not my best skill) is not the best (and the chosen platform doesn't help), some of the features are obscured and can only be discovered by clicking around.
So one has to enable advanced options, use custom flash setting to flash the full OTA file in SIDELOAD mode (dropdown menu) ... and there will be no data wipe (since I can't choose KEEP DATA)?

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
So one has to enable advanced options, use custom flash setting to flash the full OTA file in SIDELOAD mode (dropdown menu) ... and there will be no data wipe (since I can't choose KEEP DATA)?
Correct,

You probably want to set the flag `Flash to Inactive Slot` to mimic a true OTA behavior.

Reactions: t-ryder

elong7681

You launch PF and in help menu you choose Generate sanitized support.zip
No need to do anything else
If I wanted to edit the flash-all.bat file in the factory image so that I could do it manually then what would it look like ex: fastboot -w fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification update image-panther-td1a.221105.001.zip

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
If I wanted to edit the flash-all.bat file in the factory image so that I could do it manually then what would it look like ex: fastboot -w fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification update image-panther-td1a.221105.001.zip
That would do it, but will also wipe your data.
If you don't want to wipe data remove -w

I took a look at your logs, I don't see errors that would cause it not to work.
As you can see in the logs, this is what PF ran.
The commands match
Code:
chcp 437
@ECHO OFF
:: This is a generated file by PixelFlasher v4.4.0.0

PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED --slot all --disable-verity --disable-verification  flash bootloader bootloader-panther-cloudripper-1.0-9074510.img
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED reboot-bootloader 
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED --slot all --disable-verity --disable-verification  flash radio radio-panther-g5300g-220908-220908-b-9040061.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED --disable-verity --disable-verification  --skip-reboot -w update image-panther-td1a.221105.001.zip
echo Switching active slot to the other ...
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED --set-active=other
echo rebooting to bootloader ...
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED reboot bootloader
echo Sleeping 5-10 seconds ...
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED --disable-verity --disable-verification  --skip-reboot -w update image-panther-td1a.221105.001.zip
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
echo flashing pf_boot ...
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED --slot all --disable-verity --disable-verification  flash init_boot pf_boot.img
echo rebooting to system ...
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED reboot

REDACTED is your device ID.

How are you check that verity is disabled?
What are you expecting and what are you getting instead?

elong7681

That would do it, but will also wipe your data.
If you don't want to wipe data remove -w

I took a look at your logs, I don't see errors that would cause it not to work.
As you can see in the logs, this is what PF ran.
The commands match
Code:
chcp 437
@ECHO OFF
:: This is a generated file by PixelFlasher v4.4.0.0

PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED --slot all --disable-verity --disable-verification  flash bootloader bootloader-panther-cloudripper-1.0-9074510.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED --slot all --disable-verity --disable-verification  flash radio radio-panther-g5300g-220908-220908-b-9040061.img
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
echo Switching active slot to the other ...
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED --set-active=other
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
echo flashing pf_boot ...
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED --slot all --disable-verity --disable-verification  flash init_boot pf_boot.img
echo rebooting to system ...
"C:\platform-tools\fastboot.exe" -s REDACTED reboot

REDACTED is your device ID.

How are you check that verity is disabled?
What are you expecting and what are you getting instead?
When I use your PF to dump device info it says verity is enforcing and I want to install a custom kernel and we have to do a data wipe in order to disable verity and verification correct?

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
When I use your PF to dump device info it says verity is enforcing and I want to install a custom kernel and we have to do a data wipe in order to disable verity and verification correct?
I see that you are using Safetynet module, which inherently changes that flag and few others so that is passes Safteynet.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012
So if I remove the safetynet fix and reboot will it go back to verity not enforcing
I don't know, possibly yes, as SafteyNet alters that.
These are questions best asked in the Kernel threads, I don't personally disable verity or verification as I don't use custom kernels, I wouldn't be the best source of the info.
As far as PF is concerned, it adds the proper flags to the fastboot command if those options are selected, and we can see that in your logs.
I'm still interested to hear back and learn.

Top Liked Posts

Whaoooo!!! it's an fantastic app . Work very fine on win 10 / pixel 7. upgrade and root last version of A14 without problem . many many thx :cool:
    New Release:
    Mar 03, 2024 v6.8.2.1 change log:
    • Bundle in the executable the missing files android_version.json and android_devices.json otherwise patching with KernelSU won't detect your Pixel as Pixel device.
    • Add back Magisk Alpha install option, thanks to pull request from @hldr4
    • Make Magisk install window resizable.
    • Add right click option on the selected Magisk to download in case you just want it downloaded and not installed.
    • Update all old forum.xda-developers.com links to xdaforums.com
    • Make Pif Manager work without a device being connected (obviously for props / pifs management and not for updating / testing pifs).
    • Typo fixes and other minor improvements.
    I used PixelFlasher to update. However after I update, i lose the root. Im a bit confuse which part I did it wrong. Can anyone help?
    1711454943503.png
    Update Release:
    Feb 29, 2024 v6.8.1.0 change log:
    • Update Xiaomi apk download function to handle exceptions and work with the latest version.
    • #160 Update readme to add pre-requisites for MacOS and Windows platforms.
    • #161 Auto detect file encoding before opening a file.
    • Don't check for Magisk path if in recovery mode.
    • Misc. bug fixes and improvements.
    New Release:
    Mar 19, 2024 v6.8.4.0 change log:
    • When patching with KernelSu on devices that have init_boot partition, patch boot partition, not init_boot.
    • Added Dev Tools | keybox.xml validity checker (credit to @hldr4)
    • Extra Img Extraction setting now additionally extracts dtbo, vendor_boot, vendor_kernel_boot, super_empty (useful for some ROMs).
    • When custom patching, Paste button will automatically paste the path to the (extra) image type selected.
    • Improved logging.
    I used PixelFlasher to update. However after I update, i lose the root. Im a bit confuse which part I did it wrong. Can anyone help?
    Did you follow the steps closely in the main thread?
    It sounds like you might not have actually patched the image, or you didn't flash the patched image.
    PF_promo-banner.png

This is the support thread of PixelFlasher
    (PixelFlasher is an open-source self contained GUI tool to facilitate Pixel phone device flashing/rooting/updating with extra features).

Note: This thread is meant for issues and problems faced in Google Pixel 7 devices, generic issues that are device agnostic should be discussed in the main thread.
    For full details on where to download / usage and feature set of the tool, visit the main thread at XDA or the project's Github page.

IMPORTANT:
    Please do not ask questions the answers of which are already stated in the OP.
    I will simply ignore the request, as I'm fed up of referring people to the post that has the answers.

Troubleshooting:
    If you need support or assistance, please generate and provide a support file from within PixelFlasher.
    You can hit that big Support button on the main screen, or select it from the Help menu.
    The generated support.zip file is sanitized (redacted) to keep your sensitive information (username device id ...) private.
    And no, a screenshot of the console or an excerpt from the console, does not make a support file.
    Clearly state the issue you're encountering, what actions did you take, and what outcome you observed, and what outcome you had expected.
    Do NOT modify the support file, keep it intact.
    • See this post.
    • Generate Sanitized support.zip file (File Menu) and submit that with your report.
    • If your anti-virus program is telling you that PixelFlasher is a malware, or you are concerned in any way, please check this post.
    New Release:
    Feb 05, 2023 v4.7.0 release
    • Added Magisk Backup Manager:
      • List all Magisk backups currently on the device.
      • Highlight the one that is backup of the current installed version.
      • Delete backups.
      • Manually add backup from PC.
      • Auto Backup: PixelFlasher figures out what needs to be backed up, and if it finds it on the PC, it creates the backup.
    • Added Reset on Magisk Manager package name setting to reset to default: com.topjohnwu.magisk
    • Linux / Mac build.sh now switches to the PixelFlasher folder if it is run from elsewhere.
    • Magisk installer improvements:
      • When installing Magisk Alpha or Delta, PixelFlasher updates the configuration to match the package name to the respective Magisk package.
      • Magisk installer window displays the package name.
      • You can now copy to clipboard, the download URL and package ID.
    • Magisk Manager columns are now wider for better readability.
    • Package Manager improvements:
      • Added Search / Filter option.
      • Show count of filtered packages.
      • Application Name (label column).
      • "Get Application Names" Button to resolve all package application names. This is a slow process, hence PixelFlasher caches them.
      • Button to download (pull) APKs from the device. (Multiple downloads in one shot is also supported).
      • Other under the hood improvements.
    • When selecting a firmware or ROM file, sha256 is printed to console and displayed on hover, to validate if it matches the published sha256.
    • More verbose logging that helps with troubleshooting.
    • Double click on "ADB Connected Devices" to invoke adb kill-server which is handy at times, specially when dealing with Wifi ADB.
    • Moved existing links under Help Menu | Links, and added few more handy links.
    • Added timestamp to support.zip filename.
    • On request, spinning cursor with text "Please be patient ..." is now displayed in red.
    • Flashing to inactive slot is now in basic configuration instead of advanced configuration.
    • Preparation work for version 5.0 DB improvements.
    New Release:
    Apr 30, 2023 v4.10.0 release
    • Added no reboot option, with this option selected, after flashing is completed, the phone will not reboot to system, giving a chance to take other actions before reboot.
    • Added built-in file editor, you can now edit the flash script before running, in case you want to customize it (needless to say, should only be used if you know what you're doing)
    • Added a button to open an explorer in working directory, useful for people who want full control, perform manual actions by following guides, but using PixelFlasher to do the prep work.
    • Made the Firmware and Rom Process buttons, full with text. It wasn't obvious for some.
    • Detect and handle Magisk Zygote64_32 automatically, thanks to @Namelesswonder for adding the necessary marker.
    New Release:
    Mar 14, 2023 v4.8.1 release
    • #47 Feature request: Added partition manager - Allows to erase partitions, and / or dump / backup partitions to PC.
    • Added more visual troubleshooting event flows.
    • Added warning message for when Android platform tools versions 34.0.0 and 34.0.1 are used.
    • Improved support.zip redactions.
    • Added Support.Zip generator button on the Main screen.
    • APK Install option can now set the ownership to Play Store Market (useful for Android Auto)
    • Check and warn the user when Magisk Canary versions 25207, 25208, 25209 and 25210 are being used.
    • Bug fixes and other improvements.
    New Release:
    Feb 12, 2023 v4.8.0 release
    • #50 Support for Android 14 Developer Preview for Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro
    • #48 Do not allow patching with hidden Magisk (stub) and adb shell not granted root rights.
    • Block using Android Platform Tools version 34.0.0 and display a warning because it has known issues
    • Disable Magisk Backup Manager button if root access to adb shell is not granted.
    • Button to Open adb shell connected to the selected device.
    • Work in Progress: Generate graphical activity log to visualize the activity and speed up troubleshooting.