Play store error code 404

Search This thread

ngocanhnckh

Sep 3, 2015
Hi all! I have a samsung galaxy note 5 using android 7.1.1. It runs smoothly without any trouble for 5 months. Then suddenly i cant download app from Play Store anymore :(. It show error code 404 everytime i try to download app. I tried to reset full wipe my phone. Reinstall rom, update rom.... but same problem happens. It ran smooth before. I cant understand what the hex is happening. I tried everyway, but that stupid error keep showing. I try to reinstall gapps then it said i have 7.1.1 sda 24 not 7.x.x. Somebody out there please help, i even changed my google account :(

BettyChang

Sep 1, 2017
Same **** on me

Hell yeah... same **** on me bro...
I'm using huawei nova and nothing can be installed or updated since last night. error 404.
and, one of my friend who lives in china has S8(bought in china too), same issue occurred.
So it says, all Made-in-China-devices, no matter inside or outside China, may permanently cannot use google play store anymore:crying:

That's all I know, and, waiting for more info.

howareyou123

Feb 4, 2018
Hell yeah... same **** on me bro...
I'm using huawei nova and nothing can be installed or updated since last night. error 404.
and, one of my friend who lives in china has S8(bought in china too), same issue occurred.
So it says, all Made-in-China-devices, no matter inside or outside China, may permanently cannot use google play store anymore:crying:

That's all I know, and, waiting for more info.

Sorry, but I cannot 100 percent agree with you.
I have a Chinese version huawei mate 9 which has this issue, but another 2 Chinese version huawei devices (kiwi and cherry, which are honor 5x and 4x) don't have such issue. I guess it is something wrong with build.prop file. After emui 4.0 of huawei, build.prop is a bit strange which is too small, a lot of information are not stored there. Maybe it is the root cause of this issue after the recent upgrade of Google side?

Catscratch

Mar 10, 2012
Hi.

Got the same problem on Huawei Mediapad x2 with custom rom.

Clear play store data doesn't help.
Opengapps neither.
Manually upgrading play store and play services also didn't help. It seems like some kind of server sided block or so?

Edit: I'm not sure what I could change in the build.prop file. But is it possible to change the manufacturer and device model to check if Google blocks Huawei?

Last edited:

howareyou123

Feb 4, 2018
Hi.

Got the same problem on Huawei Mediapad x2 with custom rom.

Clear play store data doesn't help.
Opengapps neither.
Manually upgrading play store and play services also didn't help. It seems like some kind of server sided block or so?

Edit: I'm not sure what I could change in the build.prop file. But is it possible to change the manufacturer and device model to check if Google blocks Huawei?

try to change huawei to htc

Dodiathome

Feb 4, 2018
Play Store error code 404 on Huawei Mate 9 Plus / P10 Plus Chinese version EMUI 8.0

Same problem since Saturday February 3, 2018 morning on Huawei Mate 9 Plus and P10 Plus Chinese version with EMUI 8.0 / Android 8.0.
Tried clear Play Store data, Google Play Services, installed latest Play Store and Google Play Services (on Mate 9 Plus), factory reset on P10 Plus, nothing working, every time since then I tried to upgrade or download applications I get error code 404. Both phones have Chinese ROM. Everything else works fine.

gy6221

Jun 12, 2010
I'm using s8+, bought in Hong Kong, but flashed to Chinese official ROM, also facing the same issue. Tried to remove update for google play store, google play service, but still no luck.
I heard that some s8+ users made it work after flash to HK rom, but I don't want to do that because samsung pay will stops working in China mainland after flash back to HK rom.

iKirby

There is a file called services.cn.google.xml in /system/etc/permissions on Chinese version of devices with Play services built in. (at least on my friend's S7 edge, which has 404 error when using Play store).

On my Pixel and Nexus 9 I can't find this file (no problem when using Play store). So you may try deleting this file and reboot device to see if it makes a difference. (I don't know if this will work as my friend's phone is not rooted he can't delete the file. Always make a backup before modifying system files.)

-----

UPDATE: Confirmed working. Just delete the file and reboot your device.
It can also be done by deleting the following line from the file (If this doesn't work for you, delete the file).
Code:
<feature name="cn.google.services" />

There is a magisk module for those who have magisk installed (not by me) :https://github.com/fei-ke/unlock-cn-gms/releases

Last edited:

mostafa_googo

Feb 27, 2013
portsaid
There is a file called services.cn.google.xml in /system/etc/permissions on Chinese version of devices with Play services built in. (at least on my friend's S7 edge, which has 404 error when using Play store).

On my Pixel and Nexus 9 I can't find this file (no problem when using Play store). So you may try deleting this file and reboot device to see if it makes a difference. (I don't know if this will work as my friend's phone is not rooted he can't delete the file. Always make a backup before modifying system files.)
Any one tried this and confirm?

BettyChang

Sep 1, 2017
Now we can confirm that this 404 error is not just huawei issue

Sorry, but I cannot 100 percent agree with you.
I have a Chinese version huawei mate 9 which has this issue, but another 2 Chinese version huawei devices (kiwi and cherry, which are honor 5x and 4x) don't have such issue. I guess it is something wrong with build.prop file. After emui 4.0 of huawei, build.prop is a bit strange which is too small, a lot of information are not stored there. Maybe it is the root cause of this issue after the recent upgrade of Google side?

Hi buddy, thx 4 watching!
But, until now I have collected enough info to confirm that, this 404 is a so very bad situation, globally, not only huawei or EMUI's prob.

Here comes something about 404 evert
Try if you can read this(just copy the following blue text into browser's address bar and click go. because I'm a new bee here and posting link is now available for me)
telegra.ph/Now-we-can-confirm-that-this-404-error-is-not-just-huawei-issue-02-05

iKirby

Cool. :good:
But we have to root our phones in order to modify this .xml file. :(

If you don't want to or can't get root access, perhaps you will need to wait for Google or device manufacturers' response.

I guess the config file is for Google play services to detect whether the device is China mainland version. If it is, some features will be automatically disabled to prevent battery drain caused by keeping trying to connect to blocked Google servers.

Last edited:
Reactions: James_Watson

romayne15

Oct 9, 2017

-----

It can also be done by deleting the following line from the file.
Code:

There is a magisk module for those who have magisk installed (not by me) :https://github.com/fei-ke/unlock-cn-gms/releases

I modified the xml and it didnt work. Then I delete the xml file, boom it works! Thanks! You're a hero!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-----

It can also be done by deleting the following line from the file (If this doesn't work for you, delete the file).
    Code:

Any one tried this and confirm?

Now I can confirm that it works.
    You can also delete the following line from the file.
    Code:
    for emui8, this ****ing file is located at \system\emui\china\etc\permission folder, just remove e it.
    On my Huawei Mate 8 I solved the problem this way:
    1) deleted services.cn.google.xml in \system\emui\china\permission folder
    2) cleared cache of apps Google Play Store and Google Play-services
    3) reboot
    4) cleared cache of apps Google Play Store and Google Play-services
    5) no more error 404
    Paulcl - ikirby
    Thank you guys
    Problem solved with your instructions

-----

It can also be done by deleting the following line from the file.
    Code:

I modified the xml and it didnt work. Then I delete the xml file, boom it works! Thanks! You're a hero!