Played with the Incredible at Best Buy today

Search This thread

irishrally

Jun 13, 2009
California
I played around with the HTC Incredible for a few minutes today.

- I did not like the look and feel (ID) of the Incredible nearly as much as I thought I would. It looked and felt cheaper than the N1. The shape is boring and the all glass/shiny front does not look good. I am much more pleased with the look and feel of the N1.

- The software shortcut buttons (back/menu/home/search) work quite a bit better on the Incredible compared to the N1 with less chance of an unsuccessful press.

- I didn't notice a huge difference in the touchscreens like I had read about. I didn't try the multitouch test.

- Scrolling between home screens didn't seem as fast as my N1, but I am running a custom ROM and kernel on the N1.

- I like the trackball on the N1 a lot more than the optical sensor on the Incredible. It wasn't very smooth rubbing your finger over the optical sensor. The interface between the sensor and the phone casing was a little rough. The trackball is definitely smoother.

Overall I am happy having an N1 and, if it ever existed, I have lost all Incredible envy.

Last edited:

temperbad

Jan 13, 2009
portland
I felt the exact same when I looked at it, in fact, I hated the optical track pad also, n1 scrolled wayyyyy faster with it, and pushint it in is hard on the incredible, but Still I welcome it to the family

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I love the trackball. I don't know why so many don't like it. optical track pad just seems like it would be a pain.

I found a trick for the nexus track ball, if you just give it a super hard swipe, it will go clear across an entire sentence me text in one swoop. I see people complain its too slow but its not if you give it a really fast swipe.

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I just played with the incredible this morning. first thought is the track pad is horrible compared to the track ball. no matter how fast I swipe my finger, it only moves the cursor a few letters. the nexus track ball will move an entire sentence, like 7 words, if you give it one fast swipe.

the incredible is very light weight, but it just feels plasticky compared to the nexus. the nexus feels like a high quality appliance to me, no contest imo.

the speed of the OS felt pretty much the same. I'm running stock ROM on my nexus, not yet rooted (but I will soon enough!).

overall I can't believe anyone would even feel remotely bad about having the incredible released with slightly better specs, the nexus seems like the better phone to me in every way. the one thing I would like is the dual led flash. I don't care about the 8 gb memory or 8 mp camera one bit. but the extra flash would be nice for those random times when you need that photo in a bar or something, cause the nexus single led isn't very good.

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
overall I can't believe anyone would even feel remotely bad about having the incredible released with slightly better specs, the nexus seems like the better phone to me in every way. the one thing I would like is the dual led flash. I don't care about the 8 gb memory or 8 mp camera one bit. but the extra flash would be nice for those random times when you need that photo in a bar or something, cause the nexus single led isn't very good.

The only people who feel bad about the Incredible being slightly better are the whiners.

IE the people who weren't happy with the Nexus One even without any other similar device having been announced yet.

NO PHONE is perfect.

Case in point: The Incredible, despite having slightly better hardware, feels cheap and is ugly / boring.

How about we wait until FroYo gets (leaked) and we have it first? :D :D

:cool:

ap3604

Feb 20, 2010
The only people who feel bad about the Incredible being slightly better are the whiners.

IE the people who weren't happy with the Nexus One even without any other similar device having been announced yet.

NO PHONE is perfect.

Case in point: The Incredible, despite having slightly better hardware, feels cheap and is ugly / boring.

This should be the banner of the N1 forum that everyone see's before they post :D

Eclair~

Dec 21, 2009

NO PHONE is perfect.

I really wanted to disagree with that post to not seem like an N1 fanboy, but I agree.. the Incredible is a giant plastic brick, we will get updates first, and the hardware is only slightly upgraded. It is Incredible, but if you have a Nexus.. its not worth switching over to.

If the Incredible does get developer support, and Froyo gets ported.. then.. um.. maybe we should be worried then. What if Froyo is released quickly for it? We won't have much to brag about but developer support, and.. sexiness? And then if it gets developer support, as much as we have, then it will really be a problem. They may have took root security measures like on the Desire and Legend though, so it may not even matter.

Last edited:

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
well I was being half sarcastic, but not totally to be honest. sit a nexus next to an incredible and tell me "pick on for free and It's yours, but only one" and I would take the nexus every time no question.

ap3604

Feb 20, 2010
The Nexus One is the first phone I've ever owned that I have no envy of any future phones. It fulfills every single need I have and I can see myself using it beyond 2 years. It's THAT good.

veldargk

Sep 17, 2009
Yup. I agree with above poster. I've never had the latest and greatest and nothing available better. And there won't be for a while, in Canada. I am by no means regretting my purchase and am absolutely in love with the Nexus One. I haven't put it down since I got it 2 and a half weeks ago.

If you have one, love it. If not, then sell it and get yourself an Incredible. Then regret switching.

Jim

eabinsan

Sep 24, 2009
the only thing that really annoys me about the phone is battery life. but i guess this is something that no smartphone will do any better in the forseeable future.

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
I played with an Incredible at a verizon store yesterday. It does seem thinner and snappier.

Still prefer the stock UI.
Biggest sense plus is the exchange server support.

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
the only thing that really annoys me about the phone is battery life. but i guess this is something that no smartphone will do any better in the forseeable future.

have you tried that GSM Auto (PRL) setting in the other thread? it really seems to work. i have had HORRIBLE battery life for the last month. my battery would die in about 5 hours or maybe 6. so far with this new setting, i am at 4 hours and still at 85%. its made a huge difference so far. but i'm still testing to really know.

eabinsan

Sep 24, 2009
battery life is not _horrible_ for me, but it's not great either.
i do have the extended 2800 mAh battery from SEIDO, and i manage to get 3 days out of it. now if this were the performance with the stock battery, i would be a happy camper.

Last edited: