• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Playing 3 classic FPS PC games on your HTC 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
Hello all,

Have been a PC gamer for many years now and a gamer all my life (Spectrum 48k, 1982) , few games have hooked me in recent years like two of the three game i'm listing here and the fact that we've moved on so much with technology that I've gone from upgrading my whole system to play one of these games and upgrading the operating system to play another vs being able to play them same great games with the same performance on our mobile phones?? is quite odd isn't in it :)

Anyway, some of you may know about these, some of you may not, so i'll write up a quick tutorial on exactly how to install these games on your HTC 10 and what not to do :D

NOTE** You must own the original game in order to legally play these, I will not link the game / torrent / files or whatever, you can do what you will but I will not discuss this any further so please don't ask! XDA does not condone piracy

The games in question are as follows:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Doom 3
Quake 3 (with Arena)

The games come in two parts:
The apk which is a front end which can read the pak files which form the bulk of the games
The pak files which are installed when installed on your computer, usually within C:\Program Files\RTCW etc or wherever you installed it.

All of the front end's are freely available on the play store, I personally could not find RTCW on the play store, but as it is free I simply downloaded it, if they offered a premium version I'd certainly pop them a beer or two for their work :)

Return to castle wolfenstein

APK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0a3dy8tvt2wpro/1_return_to_castle_wolfenstein.apk?dl=0

Once installed you will need to copy the folder from your PC called main, the normal path is C:/Program Files/ID Software/Return to Castle Wolfenstein/main

Copy the "main" folder to your phone, then place it into a folder in the root of your internal memory in a newly created folder called rtcw4a, then open the app (rtcw4a)
*Note, you can change the resolution and graphics options to whatever you want, but AA will crash the game if altered, you can also change settings within game as you would on PC, multiplayer doesn't work afaik but the game runs at a nice solid 60fps at least.

Doom 3

App link in play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.n0n3m4.DIII4A&hl=en

Again once installed you'll need to copy the folder from your PC called base from your PC installation of Doom 3, again it should be within the Program files/Doom 3 folder, you'll want to copy it to a newly created folder in the root of your internal memory called diii4a.

Note* again you can only change certain settings, the ones i've found to be best are as follows:
Disable lighting - Off
Use DXT Textures - On
Use ETC1 compression - On
Use ETC1 cache - On

Graphics:

Resolution: Normal
MSAA: None

Multiplayer does load on this but there wasn't anyone present, perhaps a LAN party would be possible :)

Quake 3 and Arena

This for me is the best of the bunch, not because it's the best game, because it just isn't but because you CAN play multiplayer, it's absolutely superb, you can host a LAN party between phones and the framerate is ridiculously high so massively enjoyable, just pray that no one is using a KB and Mouse if you aren't yourself :) cos you will lose :)

App link in play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.n0n3m4.QIII4A&hl=en

Once again :) you'll need to copy the folder from your PC called baseq3 from your PC installation of Quake 3, again it should be within the Program files/Quake 3 folder, you'll want to copy it to a newly created folder in the root of your internal memory called qiii4a.

In regards to graphics I set my resolution to 1080p, left MSAA alone as it broke the game (force close) graphics within the game can be changed same as PC, multiplayer works for me as I do own all these games, even if you don't own them, because they're so old, you can buy them for pennies these days so personally I'd say avoid the pirate route, you'll only end up with a crappy version and bad karma :)

Final notes
All of the games have on screen buttons and have been absolutely rock solid for me, I've got an Anker USB-C HDMI and USB-3 hub in work which allows me to connect my KB and Mouse as well as have it on my monitor when i'm not busy :)
Never tried this with a pad but I imagine it's quite configurable, the ini files for each game are editable just as it was on the PC, make sure to make a copy prior to editing ;)
You will need to be rooted to use a mouse? Not sure why but it requires it?
You will need to use the latest pak files to play these games, if you've already got them say through steam then you'll be set.

PS: I did not make these apps, this is simply a share and how to, props go to the talented bunch who made this possible (who afaik is Proger10 according to the Play Store)

Hope to see you in the arena ;)

Last edited:

Avhill

Feb 3, 2017
This is really cool! I just tried it on my SGNote4 and it ran just beautifully! I was hoping this day would come.

Thanks for this! Now, if it'd be possible to play either Warcraft 3 or Age of Empires 2 on Android, then that would kick ass even more! :)

It's technically possible to play Age of Empires 2 on Android with the same method...Thanks to the app ExaGear, which is not free though (trial during 3 days, and then costs $15). I didn't test it seriously (just saw if it could run the game, and it does), and I don't know if you always need keyboard and mouse (worked with it for me) but it could be worth it.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
It's technically possible to play Age of Empires 2 on Android with the same method...Thanks to the app ExaGear, which is not free though (trial during 3 days, and then costs $15). I didn't test it seriously (just saw if it could run the game, and it does), and I don't know if you always need keyboard and mouse (worked with it for me) but it could be worth it.

Haven't played that myself but it's great that these types of games can run. Just hoping they patch up half life 2 for the 820 properly. Using gltools it works perfect on the S7 and the 821 just the 820 that has an issue on nougat. Shame really, maybe the next OS may help.

Reactions: Avhill

awionetka

Dec 14, 2011
Hi,

can you specify what files are needed for RTCW ?
Just apk and main/pak0.pk3 ?

I ask because I'm trying to run it on Samsung S8 (exynos) and game fails with:

Wolf 1.41 android-arm Jul 23 2013
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
/storage/emulated/0/rtcw4a/main/pak0.pk3 (4775 files)
/storage/emulated/0/rtcw4a/main

----------------------
4775 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec language.cfg
couldn't exec wolfconfig.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
Bypassing CD checks
----- Client Initialization -----
Cmd_AddCommand: map_restart already defined
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
WARNING: tess.xyz not 16 byte aligned
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
Initializing OpenGL extensions
...using GL_ARB_multitexture
------------------

GL_VENDOR: ARM
GL_RENDERER: Mali-G71
GL_VERSION: OpenGL ES-CM 1.1 v1.r3p0-00rel0.6960300c0476eedd1549d5e9ca2887f3
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_byte_coordinates GL_OES_fixed_point GL_OES_single_precision GL_OES_matrix_get GL_OES_compressed_paletted_texture GL_OES_point_size_array GL_OES_point_sprite GL_OES_read_format GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_OES_depth24 GL_OES_stencil8 GL_OES_framebuffer_object GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_OES_matrix_palette GL_OES_extended_matrix_palette GL_OES_draw_texture GL_OES_blend_equation_separate GL_OES_blend_func_separate GL_OES_blend_subtract GL_OES_stencil_wrap GL_OES_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_OES_query_matrix GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_OES_EGL_sync GL_OES_texture_npot GL_OES_vertex_half_float GL_OES_required_internalformat GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_ARM_rgba8 GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_OES_texture_compression_astc GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_ldr GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_hdr GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_sliced_3d GL_OES_surfaceless_context GL_EXT_multisampled_render_to_texture GL_OES_texture_cube_map GL_KHR_debug GL_EXT_sRGB GL_EXT_robustness
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384
GL_MAX_ACTIVE_TEXTURES_ARB: 8

PIXELFORMAT: color(32-bits) Z(16-bit) stencil(8-bits)
MODE: 3, 1920 x 1080 fullscreen hz:N/A
GAMMA: software w/ 0 overbright bits
CPU:
rendering primitives: single glDrawElements
texturemode: GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST
picmip: 1
picmip2: 2
texture bits: 0
multitexture: enabled
compiled vertex arrays: enabled
texenv add: enabled
compressed textures: disabled
ATI truform: disabled
NV distance fog: disabled
Initializing Shaders
...loading 'scripts/ai.shader'
...loading 'scripts/alpha.shader'
...loading 'scripts/blacksmokeanim.shader'
...loading 'scripts/blacksmokeanimb.shader'
...loading 'scripts/characters.shader'
...loading 'scripts/clipboard.shader'
...loading 'scripts/common.shader'
...loading 'scripts/cursorhints.shader'
...loading 'scripts/decals.shader'
...loading 'scripts/eerie.shader'
...loading 'scripts/expblue.shader'
...loading 'scripts/explode1.shader'
...loading 'scripts/fijets.shader'
...loading 'scripts/firest.shader'
...loading 'scripts/flamethrower.shader'
...loading 'scripts/funnel.shader'
...loading 'scripts/gfx.shader'
...loading 'scripts/heat.shader'
...loading 'scripts/lights.shader'
...loading 'scripts/liquid.shader'
...loading 'scripts/maxx.shader'
...loading 'scripts/menu.shader'
...loading 'scripts/metal.shader'
...loading 'scripts/models.shader'
...loading 'scripts/netest.shader'
...loading 'scripts/oldwolf.shader'
...loading 'scripts/organics.shader'
...loading 'scripts/particle.shader'
...loading 'scripts/q3view.shader'
...loading 'scripts/sfx.shader'
...loading 'scripts/signs.shader'
...loading 'scripts/skin.shader'
...loading 'scripts/sky.shader'
...loading 'scripts/solo.shader'
...loading 'scripts/surfaces.shader'
...loading 'scripts/terrain.shader'
...loading 'scripts/test.shader'
...loading 'scripts/twiltb.shader'
...loading 'scripts/twiltb2.shader'
...loading 'scripts/ui.shader'
...loading 'scripts/ui_hud.shader'
...loading 'scripts/ui_notebook.shader'
...loading 'scripts/ui_wolf.shader'
...loading 'scripts/viewflames.shader'
...loading 'scripts/walls.shader'
...loading 'scripts/z_light.shader'
----- finished R_Init -----
^3WARNING: R_FindImageFile could not find 'ui/assets/SMOKE-16bit.tga' in shader 'console'
^3Shader console has a stage with no image
^3WARNING: R_FindImageFile could not find 'ui/assets/wolficonback4.tga' in shader 'console2'
^3Shader console2 has a stage with no image

------- sound initialization -------
Initializing Android Sound subsystem
------------------------------------
----- Sound Info -----
sound system is muted
1 stereo
32768 samples
16 samplebits
4096 submission_chunk
44100 speed
0xc4283800 dma buffer
No background file.
----------------------
Sound memory manager started
Sys_LoadDll(/data/data/com.n0n3m4.rtcw4a/lib/libuineon.so)... WARNING: linker: /data/app/com.n0n3m4.rtcw4a-1/lib/arm/libuineon.so: is missing DT_SONAME will use basename as a replacement: "libuineon.so"
ok
Sys_LoadDll(ui) found **vmMain** at 0xba9773dc
Sys_LoadDll(ui) succeeded!
ERROR: ^3menu file not found: ui/menus.txt, using default

RE_Shutdown( 0 )
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

Have been a PC gamer for many years now and a gamer all my life (Spectrum 48k, 1982) , few games have hooked me in recent years like two of the three game i'm listing here and the fact that we've moved on so much with technology that I've gone from upgrading my whole system to play one of these games and upgrading the operating system to play another vs being able to play them same great games with the same performance on our mobile phones?? is quite odd isn't in it :)

Anyway, some of you may know about these, some of you may not, so i'll write up a quick tutorial on exactly how to install these games on your HTC 10 and what not to do :D

NOTE** You must own the original game in order to legally play these, I will not link the game / torrent / files or whatever, you can do what you will but I will not discuss this any further so please don't ask! XDA does not condone piracy

The games in question are as follows:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Doom 3
    Quake 3 (with Arena)

The games come in two parts:
    The apk which is a front end which can read the pak files which form the bulk of the games
    The pak files which are installed when installed on your computer, usually within C:\Program Files\RTCW etc or wherever you installed it.

All of the front end's are freely available on the play store, I personally could not find RTCW on the play store, but as it is free I simply downloaded it, if they offered a premium version I'd certainly pop them a beer or two for their work :)

Return to castle wolfenstein

APK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0a3dy8tvt2wpro/1_return_to_castle_wolfenstein.apk?dl=0

Once installed you will need to copy the folder from your PC called main, the normal path is C:/Program Files/ID Software/Return to Castle Wolfenstein/main

Copy the "main" folder to your phone, then place it into a folder in the root of your internal memory in a newly created folder called rtcw4a, then open the app (rtcw4a)
    *Note, you can change the resolution and graphics options to whatever you want, but AA will crash the game if altered, you can also change settings within game as you would on PC, multiplayer doesn't work afaik but the game runs at a nice solid 60fps at least.

Doom 3

App link in play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.n0n3m4.DIII4A&hl=en

Again once installed you'll need to copy the folder from your PC called base from your PC installation of Doom 3, again it should be within the Program files/Doom 3 folder, you'll want to copy it to a newly created folder in the root of your internal memory called diii4a.

Note* again you can only change certain settings, the ones i've found to be best are as follows:
    Disable lighting - Off
    Use DXT Textures - On
    Use ETC1 compression - On
    Use ETC1 cache - On

Graphics:

Resolution: Normal
    MSAA: None

Multiplayer does load on this but there wasn't anyone present, perhaps a LAN party would be possible :)

Quake 3 and Arena

This for me is the best of the bunch, not because it's the best game, because it just isn't but because you CAN play multiplayer, it's absolutely superb, you can host a LAN party between phones and the framerate is ridiculously high so massively enjoyable, just pray that no one is using a KB and Mouse if you aren't yourself :) cos you will lose :)

App link in play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.n0n3m4.QIII4A&hl=en

Once again :) you'll need to copy the folder from your PC called baseq3 from your PC installation of Quake 3, again it should be within the Program files/Quake 3 folder, you'll want to copy it to a newly created folder in the root of your internal memory called qiii4a.

In regards to graphics I set my resolution to 1080p, left MSAA alone as it broke the game (force close) graphics within the game can be changed same as PC, multiplayer works for me as I do own all these games, even if you don't own them, because they're so old, you can buy them for pennies these days so personally I'd say avoid the pirate route, you'll only end up with a crappy version and bad karma :)

Final notes
    All of the games have on screen buttons and have been absolutely rock solid for me, I've got an Anker USB-C HDMI and USB-3 hub in work which allows me to connect my KB and Mouse as well as have it on my monitor when i'm not busy :)
    Never tried this with a pad but I imagine it's quite configurable, the ini files for each game are editable just as it was on the PC, make sure to make a copy prior to editing ;)
    You will need to be rooted to use a mouse? Not sure why but it requires it?
    You will need to use the latest pak files to play these games, if you've already got them say through steam then you'll be set.

PS: I did not make these apps, this is simply a share and how to, props go to the talented bunch who made this possible (who afaik is Proger10 according to the Play Store)

Hope to see you in the arena ;)
    it works!

This is really cool! I just tried it on my SGNote4 and it ran just beautifully! I was hoping this day would come.

Thanks for this! Now, if it'd be possible to play either Warcraft 3 or Age of Empires 2 on Android, then that would kick ass even more! :)
    Thread closed

This thread has been closed as there's no further discussion required within it.

You are turning Android Phones into Nintendo Switch. :p