• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Please help! Fastboot Boot Loop after TWRP Restore

Search This thread

i.Design

Aug 19, 2012
I'm really at a loss for what to do here... I'll give as much backstory as I can.

I had installed WETA v4.1 while also running Renovate ICE, which was not causing any issues until I toggled the "Google Photos workaround" option which set my phone as a Pixel 3 XL. This caused a conflict and made Renovate ICE think I was an unsupported device, thus causing my RiCE tweaks to cease working.

Being a good boy I decided to do a nandroid backup before I installed WETA v4.1 so I was going to just restore from that and re-install WETA without toggling the Google Photos workaround. After restoring in TWRP and hitting reboot system I ran into a bootloop in Fastboot. I cannot boot into recovery even. It is detected in fastboot but using .\fastboot reboot didn't work and I tried to use the all-in-one tool and none of those reboot options worked either.

How can I get out of this fastboot situation? Please help!!

i.Design

Aug 19, 2012
Well... google helped out finally after reading 100 posts... it was as simple as flashing my recovery using the following command:

fastboot flash boot recoveryname.img

Reactions: ‬1‬

i.Design

Aug 19, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this roller coaster of a one way conversation.

Thank you.

You're welcome. I was freaking out for a little bit thinking I lost everything. I rooted my Galaxy S3 years ago but haven't done much in terms of rooting etc since 2012 or so... needless to say I am making some rookie mistakes. I'm still stumped as to what happened with the TWRP restore that caused this to happen in the first place. Any ideas?

Hunter3U

May 19, 2014
You're welcome. I was freaking out for a little bit thinking I lost everything. I rooted my Galaxy S3 years ago but haven't done much in terms of rooting etc since 2012 or so... needless to say I am making some rookie mistakes. I'm still stumped as to what happened with the TWRP restore that caused this to happen in the first place. Any ideas?

I've never had great luck with twrp restores. I have made a few on this phone but never got them to go through properly. My phone stays set up in a way where i don't ever need backups to get up and running. I know i restore too much to have to worry about backing up everything on a regular basis.

Bradl79

May 25, 2008
J'Ville
I tried flashing recovery from fastboot:

FAILED (remote: (recovery_a) No such partition')

what command did you use.

download and choose your model and OS
try
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot_patched.img

if it still does not boot then try TWRP

Code:
fastboot flash boot twrpname.img

when recovering from TWRP just recover data only. Not Boot and System/Vendor.

Last edited:

i.Design

Aug 19, 2012

try
Code:

Code:

Ah sorry I didn't mention the command - it was:

.\fastboot flash TWRP.img

I didn't use the correct command, after doing fastboot flash boot twrpname.img it worked.

Thanks for the note on restoring only data, that must be where things went south.

Reactions: Bradl79

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well... google helped out finally after reading 100 posts... it was as simple as flashing my recovery using the following command:

fastboot flash boot recoveryname.img

try
    Code:

Code:

Ah sorry I didn't mention the command - it was:

.\fastboot flash TWRP.img

I didn't use the correct command, after doing fastboot flash boot twrpname.img it worked.

Thanks for the note on restoring only data, that must be where things went south.