• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Please help me to install OTA on my cuty little MOTO G 5G

Search This thread

cometicard

Aug 1, 2021
I rooted my phone using TWRP and Magisk. All's well up till now when I received a notification of a latest update on my phone but the catch is I never made a back up of the stock firmware image while rooting and now as per the instructions on the internet,

see here this article - https://www.droidwin.com/install-ota-rooted-android

I can't restore the stock firmware image after tapping on the uninstall button in Magisk and move on to the next step. I can't flash the stock firmware image, Magisk says STOCK BACK UP DOESN'T EXIST. Please help. I have the stock ROM with me, kept with utmost care. Hahaha ! Please help me and I will thank you you in 5 different languages.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
I rooted my phone using TWRP and Magisk. All's well up till now when I received a notification of a latest update on my phone but the catch is I never made a back up of the stock firmware image while rooting and now as per the instructions on the internet,

see here this article - https://www.droidwin.com/install-ota-rooted-android

I can't restore the stock firmware image after tapping on the uninstall button in Magisk and move on to the next step. I can't flash the stock firmware image, Magisk says STOCK BACK UP DOESN'T EXIST. Please help. I have the stock ROM with me, kept with utmost care. Hahaha ! Please help me and I will thank you you in 5 different languages.
If you have a Windows PC use the update option in LMSA

Then open the LMSA firmware folder, find the new boot.img, and patch it with Magisk

cometicard

Aug 1, 2021

Then open the LMSA firmware folder, find the new boot.img, and patch it with Magisk
Let me try it.

cometicard

Aug 1, 2021

I did what you suggested, I downloaded the stock ROM and then copied the boot.img file to the phone's internal storage, patched it by Magisk but all in vain as whenever I tap on the uninstall button in Magisk and select RESTORE IMAGES, Magisk tells STOCK BACK UP DOESN'T EXIST. I'm still getting the same error message. The next step would be to install the OTA but alas can't proceed. to it.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
I did what you suggested, I downloaded the stock ROM and then copied the boot.img file to the phone's internal storage, patched it by Magisk but all in vain as whenever I tap on the uninstall button in Magisk and select RESTORE IMAGES, Magisk tells STOCK BACK UP DOESN'T EXIST. I'm still getting the same error message. The next step would be to install the OTA but alas can't proceed. to it.
That's not what i suggested.
I suggested updating with lmsa.
You don't have to unroot, just patch new boot.img after update

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
I see, let me try it. This seems to be an easier option. Thanks again.
I'm not sure but it looks like the update firmware has been removed from LMSA.
If this is the case, you have to flash manually or use the rescue option which will factory reset the device.

Using the rescue option is the easier method
if you don't mind losing your data, and re-rooting.

Flashing may be a little tricky the first few times, but is good to know how to do if you are modifying your device (rooting)/
See how to get the correct flash commands from the flash_file.xml
Just remove the "erase userdata" line from the commands, it's usually the last line.

Last edited:

cometicard

Aug 1, 2021
If this is the case, you have to flash manually or use the rescue option which will factory reset the device.

Flashing may be a little tricky the first few times, but is got to know how to do if you are modifying your device (rooting)/
Just remove the "erase userdata" line from the commands, it's usually the last line.
Yes brother. They have removed it. Anyway, I googled it and I came across a video on youtube which addresses this issue of STOCK BACK UP DOESN'T EXIST. But LMSA factory resetted my device and I lost root. I have to re-root again. Quite tedious it is to say the least.

cometicard

Aug 1, 2021

Flashing may be a little tricky the first few times, but is good to know how to do if you are modifying your device (rooting)/
Done brother, everything's ok now, I have been able to install the OTA update, and also have root status. Well, it didn't go the way I wanted, I mistakenly flashed the stock ROM instead of disabling root and flashing the stock boot.img but my work is done. I installed the OTA update after that and re-rooted my phone again. Lost all the data but now I'm enjoying an up-to-dated phone and with root of course.

And also, I have got the solution in case if anybody want to know about the STOCK BACK UP DOESN'T EXIST problem while installing OTAs by Magisk. So you're welcome anytime to ask me. Hahahaha.