• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Please help... My unlocked bl whyred stuck at logo... Please help

Search This thread

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I tried to download the PitchBlack Recovery Project still just logo no options to select.

I plugged my phone in fastboot run from powershell: fastboot boot recovery.img

It loads the recovery but only the logo no options to select

Then I tried any commands of adb from cmd just working adb devices, adb shell ls, adb pull ls /sdcard is not working dont show anything.
I believe the folder is protected.
Any work around to get this folder copied? or delete the protection?

If I choose a rom to flash with my flash which one really keep user data?
I mean clean_all_except_userdata.
And by userdata what's included? the folder DCIM and Whatsapp folder are considered user data?
Will be they kept?

I don't see much options if not going to a data recovery company to extract data from the chip?
no help at all from Xiaomi it's a shame as Google!
They should think of a better way to keep data secure but also allow the owner to retrieve his data without loosing it, especially after a normal phone usage not doing anything out of the ordinary!

So pissed off!

How did it work for you? were you able to boot a custom recovery?
Is it the problem of doing from a Windows 10 Laptop with usb3.0?

Try flashing vbmeta and then you should try to boot to OrangeFox and after flash it.

Prathamesh 27

Mar 14, 2018
I tried to download the PitchBlack Recovery Project still just logo no options to select.

I plugged my phone in fastboot run from powershell: fastboot boot recovery.img

It loads the recovery but only the logo no options to select

Then I tried any commands of adb from cmd just working adb devices, adb shell ls, adb pull ls /sdcard is not working dont show anything.
I believe the folder is protected.
Any work around to get this folder copied? or delete the protection?

If I choose a rom to flash with my flash which one really keep user data?
I mean clean_all_except_userdata.
And by userdata what's included? the folder DCIM and Whatsapp folder are considered user data?
Will be they kept?

I don't see much options if not going to a data recovery company to extract data from the chip?
no help at all from Xiaomi it's a shame as Google!
They should think of a better way to keep data secure but also allow the owner to retrieve his data without loosing it, especially after a normal phone usage not doing anything out of the ordinary!

So pissed off!

How did it work for you? were you able to boot a custom recovery?
Is it the problem of doing from a Windows 10 Laptop with usb3.0?

Okay I don't know why this is happening and yes I successfully copied one folder(the pictures folder)

Do you know which folders you want to copy?
You try to use the command that I gave
Code:
 adb pull "/sdcard/DCIM"
Try individually for each folder. This may work and you could get all your data. Also
Code:
 adb pull "/sdcard"
worked for me.

Yes you should try installing rom by selecting save_user_data.
This would leave sdcard untouched. I don't have idea about /data folder, but it should also be left untouched ( No idea, do this on your own risk).

I had everything backed up in cloud. Because I pulled the plug before the process finished, it wouldn't boot. I had to clean Qualcomm flash the rom :(

Try flashing vbmeta.img as @SubwayChamp suggested.

Last edited:

supermike23

Jul 24, 2018
Try flashing vbmeta and then you should try to boot to OrangeFox and after flash it.

I tried flashing vbmeta but not working same error. Write protected. :(

Cant find a solution or work around it seems
I just need to decrypt those folders I guess and then be able to see the inside and then finally copy them.

Any work around?
What about flashing with save user data mode it will keep my ROM data such as Whatsapp folder and DCIM inside the phone untouched or they will be erased?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Okay I don't know why this is happening and yes I successfully copied one folder(the pictures folder)

Code:
 adb pull "/sdcard/DCIM"
Try individually for each folder. This may work and you could get all your data. Also
Code:
 adb pull "/sdcard"
worked for me.

This would leave sdcard untouched. I don't have idea about /data folder, but it should also be left untouched ( No idea, do this on your own risk).

I had everything backed up in cloud. Because I pulled the plug before the process finished, it wouldn't boot. I had to clean Qualcomm flash the rom :(

I tried same commands so many times with any boot custom rom but no success

fastboot boot recovery.img (any recovery TWRP, OrangeFox and others)

Just loading the LOGO and that's it then I can see the phone connected on my laptop and I can use adb commands.

With adb I try adb shell ls and see the folders but cannot copy them cause they must be encrypted and protected unfortunately.

Any work around?

Doing flash with save user data will really keep my data in DCIM and so on?

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Code:
 adb pull "/sdcard/DCIM"
Code:
 adb pull "/sdcard"
worked for me.

I tried same commands so many times with any boot custom rom but no success

Just loading the LOGO and that's it then I can see the phone connected on my laptop and I can use adb commands.

With adb I try adb shell ls and see the folders but cannot copy them cause they must be encrypted and protected unfortunately.

Any work around?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
I tried flashing vbmeta but not working same error. Write protected. :(

Cant find a solution or work around it seems
I just need to decrypt those folders I guess and then be able to see the inside and then finally copy them.

Any work around?
What about flashing with save user data mode it will keep my ROM data such as Whatsapp folder and DCIM inside the phone untouched or they will be erased?

Thanks

OK, you may try the next steps, just one by one, every try is apart.

1.- Disable DM verity by fastboot commands:
Code:
fastboot oem disable_dm_verity
and then see if you can flash/boot to OrangeFox/TWRP trying these 4 possible methods described next:

2.- The first 3 are copied/pasted from other thread:
"+ by entering terminal command in command line: >>fastboot boot twrp-x.x.x-x-whyred.img<<, or
+ by holding together "Volume Up + Power" until you see the MI logo, release "Power" button but keep pressing "Volume Up" until you see the recovery, or
+ by holding together "Volume Up + Volume Down + Power" until you see recovery"
- Typing fastboot reboot (once custom recovery is flashed) and pressing only volume up till recovery screen appears completely.
Of course you should have to successfully flash it previously in order to work.

3.- Flash the recovery image onto the boot partition, and then reboot normally, supposedly device will enter to boot and will find the recovery image there, type
Code:
fastboot flash boot TWRP/OrangeFox/Whatever.img

4.- In MiFlash tool there is an option to keep data, flashing the same Miui version that you had previously won't delete data, I use successfully this version many times https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261688231

I have a Redmi Note5 Pro from Saturday while uploading instagram stories decided to crash and got reset stuck with Bootloop on MI.com logo. The device said it's unlocked.

I CANNOT go into recovery mode.

I have connected to device to my laptop (Windows 10) through fastboot try to flash any recovery: OrangeFox, TWRP, no success.

This is the error:
c:\adb fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Sending 'recovery' (31161 KB) OKAY [ 0.669s]
Writing 'recovery' FAILED (remote: 'Error flashing partition : Write Protected')
fastboot: error: Command failed

So I try this command: fastboot boot recovery.img
then.

Please Help!
If anyone can help to recover my data seriously I do I am happy to give a compensation with PayPal cause I would appreciated the effort and help!

Thanks in advance for anyone's willingness to help!

You need fasboot and flashed dummy.img first!!! <-- you can take it from MIUI FASTBOOT ROM
Than you can flash fastboot boot recoveyTwrp.IMG.
Than you can flash your recovery by TWRP (OrageFox,etc).
If you'll install OrageFox it will auto reboot in OrangeFox in 5 sec...and viola your done...
No extra steps needed.

So in short step by step
-use miunlock to unlock bootloader
-put phone on fastboot mode
-type 'fastboot flash antirbpass dummy.img'
-type 'fastboot flash recovery twrp.img'
-type 'fastboot boot twrp.img'
- in TWRP click install chose OrangeFox recovery zip file
- and viola in 5 sec you'll get Installed Orangefox
- install custom ROM as instructed in ROM thread

Good luck and stay safe!

Last edited:

supermike23

Jul 24, 2018
OK, you may try the next steps, just one by one, every try is apart.

1.- Disable DM verity by fastboot commands:
Code:
fastboot oem disable_dm_verity
and then see if you can flash/boot to OrangeFox/TWRP trying these 4 possible methods described next:

2.- The first 3 are copied/pasted from other thread:
"+ by entering terminal command in command line: >>fastboot boot twrp-x.x.x-x-whyred.img<<, or
+ by holding together "Volume Up + Power" until you see the MI logo, release "Power" button but keep pressing "Volume Up" until you see the recovery, or
+ by holding together "Volume Up + Volume Down + Power" until you see recovery"
- Typing fastboot reboot (once custom recovery is flashed) and pressing only volume up till recovery screen appears completely.
Of course you should have to successfully flash it previously in order to work.

3.- Flash the recovery image onto the boot partition, and then reboot normally, supposedly device will enter to boot and will find the recovery image there, type
Code:
fastboot flash boot TWRP/OrangeFox/Whatever.img

4.- In MiFlash tool there is an option to keep data, flashing the same Miui version that you had previously won't delete data, I use successfully this version many times https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261688231

1) I can't flash ANY Fastboot images and I can't access to any recovery mode.
The command you gave me, reports an error.

So I do this process over and over again but no luck:

Turn on the Redmi Note 5 Pro in Fastboot mode.
I try to flash any recover it won't work, your command doesn't work no success either it's like giving me an error.
I try to do flash boot recovery recovery.img (recovery.img can be any custom recovery) it loads only the LOGO.

Now I can see the device in ADB if I do adb devices it turns that the device is in recovery mode but only with LOGO.
I can't access to any folder though see them

The device seems to be unlocked from fastboot commands. If I use MI Unlock tool will definitely erase data so I wanna keep my data and try to recover them.

What happened to you and how did you solve to keep your data with data I mean whatsapp folder, DCIM folder and sms. those 3 things I care about cause in DCIM there are photos and also screenshots .

Thank you so much.

supermike23

Jul 24, 2018
You need fasboot and flashed dummy.img first!!! <-- you can take it from MIUI FASTBOOT ROM
Than you can flash fastboot boot recoveyTwrp.IMG.
Than you can flash your recovery by TWRP (OrageFox,etc).
If you'll install OrageFox it will auto reboot in OrangeFox in 5 sec...and viola your done...
No extra steps needed.

So in short step by step
-use miunlock to unlock bootloader
-put phone on fastboot mode
-type
-type 'fastboot flash recovery twrp.img'
-type 'fastboot boot twrp.img'
- in TWRP click install chose OrangeFox recovery zip file
- and viola in 5 sec you'll get Installed Orangefox
- install custom ROM as instructed in ROM thread

Good luck and stay safe!

If I use miunlock as procedure it will erare my data to unlock bootloader and I really wanna keep my data.
I need to recover my DCIM folder including photos, screenshots, screenrecorder
my WhatsApp folder and SMS

In order you can see what I do trying with many recovery custom ones but cannot flash any.
I know there is an option of flashing a ROM with save user data mode though I am not sure what clean_except_user_data with miflash does. if really keeps data like DCIM, sms, whatsapp folders and so on untouched or will erase them. that's my doubt.

Anyway that's what I do:

- phone in fastboot mode
- run fastboot commands
- see the phone attached and use your command fastboot flash antirbpass dummy.img' NOT sure which dummy.img is the right one for my redmi note 5 pro I flashed the one I found online. anyway no error as you can see.
- trying to flash any recovery won't work as you can see. WRITE-PROTECTED even though from fastboot it says device unlocked. of course cannot access to USB debug as the phone is stuck in bootloop
- if I boot in any recovery as Twrp, or others I can see only the LOGO running that's all. No commands prompt appearing. :(
The phone is attached still on my laptop runnin windows 10, it says as android device attached actually the name of the phone too RedmiNote 5 Pro but cannot see the content of course it's not in MTP mode and OS hasn't loaded anyway.
- i can run adb shell ls see the whole folders but cannot copy and see the sdcard or storage of course cause they are encrypted.

Any help?
If I use a custom rom and miflash to flash any rom even the MIUI selecting the option clean_all_except_user_data (what does it do). It really keeps my personal data untouched such as Whatsapp folder, DCIM and so on?
Anyone has tried and can assure that?

Thanks.

Attachments

• RedmiNote5Pro.JPG
    RedmiNote5Pro.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 65

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
1) I can't flash ANY Fastboot images and I can't access to any recovery mode.
The command you gave me, reports an error.

So I do this process over and over again but no luck:

Turn on the Redmi Note 5 Pro in Fastboot mode.
I try to flash any recover it won't work, your command doesn't work no success either it's like giving me an error.
I try to do flash boot recovery recovery.img (recovery.img can be any custom recovery) it loads only the LOGO.

Now I can see the device in ADB if I do adb devices it turns that the device is in recovery mode but only with LOGO.
I can't access to any folder though see them

The device seems to be unlocked from fastboot commands. If I use MI Unlock tool will definitely erase data so I wanna keep my data and try to recover them.

What happened to you and how did you solve to keep your data with data I mean whatsapp folder, DCIM folder and sms. those 3 things I care about cause in DCIM there are photos and also screenshots .

Thank you so much.

Probably you doesn't have enabled USB debugging, I didn't recommend dummy.img cause I don't know exactly from which flashing cycle you are coming but keep it in mind that if you had a Miui ROM working before and you didn't switch to custom ROMs then the dummy.img in this thread should help you https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5-pro/how-to/index-everything-anti-roll-t3816219 fastboot in Whyred doesn't allow downgrades so you would need firstly flash this image to do it "permissive" in order you can flash something "custom" on it.

Anyway if this doesn't solve the issue so it depends on what you messed up before you can flash as I said you previously the exact Miui ROM that was previously running using MiFlash tool through the option to Keep_userdata and your data won't be deleted.

supermike23

Jul 24, 2018
Probably you doesn't have enabled USB debugging, I didn't recommend dummy.img cause I don't know exactly from which flashing cycle you are coming but keep it in mind that if you had a Miui ROM working before and you didn't switch to custom ROMs then the dummy.img in this thread should help you https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5-pro/how-to/index-everything-anti-roll-t3816219 fastboot in Whyred doesn't allow downgrades so you would need firstly flash this image to do it "permissive" in order you can flash something "custom" on it.

Anyway if this doesn't solve the issue so it depends on what you messed up before you can flash as I said you previously the exact Miui ROM that was previously running using MiFlash tool through the option to Keep_userdata and your data won't be deleted.

Nothing is working my problem is not the one you are addressing sorry!
Should I create a new post?
So maybe someone can help me.

My problem is that from DEVICES-INFO the bootloader seem unlocked.

If I launch any custom rom with fastboot boot recovery.img it runs only the logo doesn't allow me to do anything so the device doesn't mount the disk

WITH ADB commands I can only see the tree of the folders but cannot access to sdcard and storage as they are protected.

if I flash any custom recovery the error would be write-protected not anti-rollback.

If I try MIFLASH what's the difference between flash_all_except_data.bat and flash_all_except_data_storage.bat?

There seem no difference between them?
Same code just a tiny difference in the .sh

Will this code flash and erase storage?

fastboot %* flash storsec %~dp0images\storsec.mbn || @ECHO "Flash storsec error" && exit /B 1
fastboot %* flash storsecbak %~dp0images\storsec.mbn || @ECHO "Flash storsecbak error" && exit /B 1

My concern is to keep DCIM folder and its content inside and WhatsApp folder safe.
Is that possible?

Thanks in advance.

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Nothing is working my problem is not the one you are addressing sorry!
Should I create a new post?
So maybe someone can help me.

My problem is that from DEVICES-INFO the bootloader seem unlocked.

If I launch any custom rom with fastboot boot recovery.img it runs only the logo doesn't allow me to do anything so the device doesn't mount the disk

WITH ADB commands I can only see the tree of the folders but cannot access to sdcard and storage as they are protected.

if I flash any custom recovery the error would be write-protected not anti-rollback.

If I try MIFLASH what's the difference between flash_all_except_data.bat and flash_all_except_data_storage.bat?

There seem no difference between them?
Same code just a tiny difference in the .sh

Will this code flash and erase storage?

fastboot %* flash storsec %~dp0images\storsec.mbn || @ECHO "Flash storsec error" && exit /B 1
fastboot %* flash storsecbak %~dp0images\storsec.mbn || @ECHO "Flash storsecbak error" && exit /B 1

My concern is to keep DCIM folder and its content inside and WhatsApp folder safe.
Is that possible?

Thanks in advance.

No, I pretty understood what your issue and goal are, the idea is just to find a way to flash a recovery so you can navigate to the folders that you want to take a copy.
Also the idea to flash dummy.img was Just in case ARB was linked in some way with WRITE_PROTECTED barrier so it doesn't look too easy find a proper solution for this anyway I never were so confident to try to preserve some data from my device instead to recover my device itself and the one thing I can think of is trying to flash the same fastboot ROM that you had previously using MiFlash tool either in fastboot and if it is not allowed then in EDL mode.
The first preserves user data, this means the apps with its settings, the general settings (of course also your internal SD Card) and the second is to preserve only internal storage or internal SD Card where DCIM and WhatsApp folders are allocated.

supermike23

Jul 24, 2018
No, I pretty understood what your issue and goal are, the idea is just to find a way to flash a recovery so you can navigate to the folders that you want to take a copy.
Also the idea to flash dummy.img was Just in case ARB was linked in some way with WRITE_PROTECTED barrier so it doesn't look too easy find a proper solution for this anyway I never were so confident to try to preserve some data from my device instead to recover my device itself and the one thing I can think of is trying to flash the same fastboot ROM that you had previously using MiFlash tool either in fastboot and if it is not allowed then in EDL mode.
The first preserves user data, this means the apps with its settings, the general settings (of course also your internal SD Card) and the second is to preserve only internal storage or internal SD Card where DCIM and WhatsApp folders are allocated.

Thanks for your help.

I thought it's the opposite!

flash_all_except_data.bat WILL KEEP DATA

flash_all_except_data_storage.bat WILL KEEP DATA AND STORAGE

Is that correct?

So flash_all_except_data_storage is the one I should use! It's the one that does less wiping right?
Though why the .bat seems exactly the same?

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
Thanks for your help.

I thought it's the opposite!

flash_all_except_data.bat WILL KEEP DATA

flash_all_except_data_storage.bat WILL KEEP DATA AND STORAGE

Is that correct?

So flash_all_except_data_storage is the one I should use! It's the one that does less wiping right?
Though why the .bat seems exactly the same?

MiFlash tool only have three options:
- Clean all: this is a clean flash, this wipes all and format all the partitions but without re-lock bootloader.
- Save user data: This preserve user data (general settings, preferences, etc) and internal storage/memory.
- Clean all and lock: This does the same that the first but re-locking bootloader.

Your option is clearly the second.

R3D5H4D0W

Aug 15, 2020
Hello! I have the same exact issue. At this point i'm not even interested in revive my phone but in recover my personal data (Pictures and whatsapp conversations specially) Have any of you found a way to?

Sorry for my bad english.