• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

PLEASE READ: Information Gathering: Those who have Bricked and have not

Search This thread

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Please tun this command from adb shell, and report back the following information.

cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/name

Please reply with the terminal output and whether your phone is running, or bricked. Please, we need information from both sides.

Defintion of brick:

Rebooting in normal mode, as well as recovery, and RUU does not fix the issue.

Those who are Bricked, in addiiton to posting here:

Please contact jcase at #thunderbolt on irc.andirc.net. You have ~3 seconds to perform this command while in recovery. We also need dmesg output. DO NOT RUU, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE! WE NEED S-OFF STATUS!

Last edited:

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
Output: SEM08G

We need brickers to do this, you have about 5 seconds in recovery to do it. Please contact us.

spaghetti_monster

Nov 13, 2008
k#cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/name
cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/name
SEM08G
#

Non bricked
Running GB Bamf 2.4.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So we have run into a problem with reading bricked devices. If you are bricked, please, please, please! do not run the stock RUU until we have attempted to read the emmc name. If you are s-on, we are stuck.
    What if this command were something that could potentially brick people's phones and they wanted to see if that's what was part of the problem? I know the command posted is not, but what if it were? What if the devs were frustrated and having a bad day and decided to use us as guinea pigs? Does that make it ok?

Thrown by Zeus himself

Really... Really... REALLLLLLLLLY :mad:

I believe this is the dumbest thing ever posted on xda...
    Do we seriously have someone here saying the command

"cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/name"

is dangerous?

Let's have a little lecture on what this does.

cat is the linux command to return the contents of a file. So that's READING from a file.

The remainder of the command has no spaces in it, so is one term. Most people will recognise this as being a type of path to something in the filesystem.

Therefore, this is reading from an item in the filesystem. If might not be a file as such (it's not), but it's a system flag that you can read. The key word being READ.

cat is a perfectly safe command unless its output is being piped.
    We all got bricked rolled guys... It was well played... well played indeed...

never gonna give you up..
    never gonna let you down..
    never gonna run around and desert you.
    Adrynalyne- Please understand that 'RobbyRob' does not speak for the rest of us. I know you do not see my name constantly on these forums because I can usually find my own answers and have NOT the knowledge to support others.

Anyway, I have seen your name Adrynalyne, linked to possibly HUNDREDS of posts that HAVE helped many or dare I say almost all in this community, so from the 'appreciative' ones....Thank you, and please don't give up on us for one persons ignorance.