POCO F1 Screen Retention/Ghosting Image on custom ROM/Kernel [FIX]

Search This thread

Devlik

Apr 21, 2017
Issue:
1.Some users (like me) must have faced issue of screen ghosting or retention in which if the device is used at max brightness, they see a ghosted image on sides of their phone. (Especially visible when switching from a light theme to dark, for eg, going in chrome incognito mode you will see it)
2.Usually it happens after flashing a custom ROM or kernel.

Fix:
Method 1:
1. In case if its a custom ROM, go to Settings > Display > LiveDisplay
2. Set the Color Profile to ‘Standard'.
3. Go to color calibration setting and set the following values:
Red at 90%
Green at 90%
Blue at 90%.
4. Keep the display screen of for some time (15 min) and boom! Issue solved.
[Note: Max brightness may feel a little less than before but its still better, you will get used to it]

Method 2:
1.In case you have a custom kernel, you can refer to other threads or manually set the values of Red, Green and Blue by yourself by using a ‘Kernel Manager App'.
Just keep it at minimum than its original values.

Conclusion:
This issue is NOT a hardware issue, its a software issue that can be fixed by implementation of any following methods.

Source:
I got through some other threads of Redmi having same issue. Just the difference is in the settings I used, you can customize it as per your own will BUT make sure that the ghosting does not appear by use of that setting. If successful, you may replay :eek:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191203-194701.jpg
    Screenshot_20191203-194701.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 2,465
  • Screenshot_20191203-194654.jpg
    Screenshot_20191203-194654.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 2,453
Last edited:

Devlik

Apr 21, 2017
What are you talking about??
This issue is not available in Pixel exp plus pie, is this a Stock rom issue??
but i didn't experience it for whatever hours i was on stock Miui.
It is not the case that every user will face it. In case if it occurs, you may make use of these procedures.
Mostly, if you use max brightness and switch suddenly to dark grey, you can notice it (in custom ROMs / custom kernel ).

Sent from my POCO F1 using XDA Labs

Last edited:
Reactions: duttyend

Devlik

Apr 21, 2017
It is not software issue, but the low hardware quality I presume
No it is a software issue. I am not talking about the yellow spot issue (that is hardware issue)
This one is ghosting or temporary burn in caused due to change in the default color calibration.
I faced it before but after trying the above settings, even at max brightness, the ghosting did not appear again. So it actually works.
Ghosting does not remain forever in LCD. So its not harmful to hardware in any way. (Just buggy)

Darklouis

I agree. Screen Retention or Ghosting is mostly present on other devices (I'm not talking about the Pocophone alone but on every other devices) and can be fixed via software implementations or updates. Changing color profile and/or color settings can be a solution too.

Reactions: GopalKaul

Devlik

Apr 21, 2017
Can't it be issue related to bottom bar of chrome (u said when switching to incognito mode)?:confused:
Well it appears on every side of the screen and not just bottom. Even when I boot to twrp after being on a bright screen for long time, the status bar, some text and navigation bar appears. ... It fades away tho, not permanent as in amoled. LoL

Kakipa

Apr 7, 2020
Issue:
1.Some users (like me) must have faced issue of screen ghosting or retention in which if the device is used at max brightness, they see a ghosted image on sides of their phone. (Especially visible when switching from a light theme to dark, for eg, going in chrome incognito mode you will see it)

Fix:
Method 1:
Red at 90%
Green at 90%
Blue at 90%.
[Note: Max brightness may feel a little less than before but its still better, you will get used to it]

Method 2:
1.In case you have a custom kernel, you can refer to other threads or manually set the values of Red, Green and Blue by yourself by using a ‘Kernel Manager App'.

Conclusion:
This issue is NOT a hardware issue, its a software issue that can be fixed by implementation of any following methods.

Source:
I got through some other threads of Redmi having same issue. Just the difference is in the settings I used, you can customize it as per your own will BUT make sure that the ghosting does not appear by use of that setting. If successful, you may replay :eek:

I am neither using a custom ROM nor have done anything to change device performance.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Issue:

Fix:
Method 1:
Red at 90%
Green at 90%
Blue at 90%.

Method 2:

Conclusion:

Source:

I am neither using a custom ROM nor have done anything in past which can have these after effects. I am facing these issue or may be noticeable after the rollout of the MIUI11 ROM. So i contacted other who owns pocof1 , but their device don't have these issues. Then i contacted the service center and they reinstalled the MIUI11 but the problem persists.
So then i thinking of a screen replacement since i m on a warranty period so should i do that to solve this issue?.
Also u gave the settings to resolve the issue for a stock/CustomUI but wht for the MIUI , pls give the setting for them too.

pls answer all my queries!

Devlik

Apr 21, 2017
I am neither using a custom ROM nor have done anything to change device performance.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

I am neither using a custom ROM nor have done anything in past which can have these after effects. I am facing these issue or may be noticeable after the rollout of the MIUI11 ROM. So i contacted other who owns pocof1 , but their device don't have these issues. Then i contacted the service center and they reinstalled the MIUI11 but the problem persists.
So then i thinking of a screen replacement since i m on a warranty period so should i do that to solve this issue?.
Also u gave the settings to resolve the issue for a stock/CustomUI but wht for the MIUI , pls give the setting for them too.

pls answer all my queries!
This reply is pretty late, sorry for that.
1.You need to be rooted.
2.Download ColorChanger app from PlayStore.
3.Give root privileges.
4.Decrease the color in Custom1/Custom2/Custom3 by long tapping to these values:
R:240
G:240
B:240
S:1.00.
5.Save it (top left corner)
Con: You need to apply this every time you boot into your device.
You can upgrade to pro and enable “Activate on boot" from app setting to make this happen automatically.

Reactions: duttyend

u_knw_who

May 25, 2014
mumbai
Xiaomi Poco F1
Can you take a look at the attached screenshot and confirm if these values are okay. Apart from RGB values, do I need to tweak anything else? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200705-160107382.jpg
    Screenshot_20200705-160107382.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 369

YSNDR

Feb 20, 2018
JKT
Oh I see, I got this problem, and realize I set livedisplay profile to dynamic. I thought my screen was wore out

Kakipa

Apr 7, 2020
This reply is pretty late, sorry for that.
1.You need to be rooted.
2.Download ColorChanger app from PlayStore.
3.Give root privileges.
4.Decrease the color in Custom1/Custom2/Custom3 by long tapping to these values:
R:240
G:240
B:240
S:1.00.
5.Save it (top left corner)
Con: You need to apply this every time you boot into your device.
You can upgrade to pro and enable “Activate on boot" from app setting to make this happen automatically.

Is it a s/w or h/w issue and if i install custom ROM(pixel experience) will that help

sweetcurd

Aug 11, 2020
I am from India itself, do you know which service center to go to? Since poco split from mi, am i in trouble or i should head to the mi service center. And my is under a warranty of 6 months and i'm in the 3rd month now....is it free or you got to pay money for the service?
Thanks in Advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Issue:

Fix:
    Method 1:
    Red at 90%
    Green at 90%
    Blue at 90%.

Method 2:

Conclusion:

Source:
    It is not software issue, but the low hardware quality I presume
    What are you talking about??
    This issue is not available in Pixel exp plus pie, is this a Stock rom issue??
    but i didn't experience it for whatever hours i was on stock Miui.
    It is not the case that every user will face it. In case if it occurs, you may make use of these procedures.
    Mostly, if you use max brightness and switch suddenly to dark grey, you can notice it (in custom ROMs / custom kernel ).

I agree. Screen Retention or Ghosting is mostly present on other devices (I'm not talking about the Pocophone alone but on every other devices) and can be fixed via software implementations or updates. Changing color profile and/or color settings can be a solution too.
    What exactly will i notice, i want to know what happens??
    :confused:
    Umm. You can google it. For example, look at this picture: (From search result, it just occurred in dark backgrounds in my case)