• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

Poetic Slimline Case Review *NEW* *PICTURES*

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
This is a review for the Poetic Slimline Case for our Nexus 7.

I've been using this case for a little over a month now, and thought I should fill you guys in. Until now, there are mostly only those hideous, ghetto leather cases that cover up the bezel of the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 is such a beautiful device that we ought to show off all of it aspects. The case is thin, it adds minimal bulk and is still easy to hold in one hand. It IS a smartcover, meaning there's a little magnet in the flap that power's the screen on/off when you open or close it. And in the end what really matters is that the case really looks good on the Nexus 7. If you don't care about pictures then here is the rundown: smartcover, 2 viewing angles, durable, slim, and completely worth the $20 price!

Poetic said:
The Slimline by Poetic™ for the Google Nexus 7 offers a sturdy folder design providing protection to the screen and the back of the device. The microfiber interior lining offers scratch and dust protection as well as anti-slip protection when rolling back the cover in multiple view positions. The magnetic cover protects your screen on the go and offer a sleep/wake function upon opening and closing. The Google Nexus 7 charging port, buttons, and speakers are exposed for easy access while being protected by the Slimline case. This shock-resistant case is made with environmentally friendly, high-quality, flexible PU and has easy snap on/snap off functions.

• The Slimline by Poetic™ for the Google Nexus 7 offers a sturdy folder design providing protection to the screen and the back of the device. The microfiber interior lining offers scratch and dust protection as well as anti-slip protection when rolling back the cover in multiple view positions.
• The microfiber interior lining offers scratch and dust protection as well as anti-slip protection when rolling back the cover in multiple view positions.
• The magnetic cover protects your screen on the go and offer a sleep/wake function upon opening and closing.
• The Google Nexus 7 charging port, buttons, and speakers are exposed for easy access while being protected by the Slimline case.
• This shock-resistant case is made with environmentally friendly, high-quality, flexible PU and has easy snap on/snap off functions.

Aesthetics and Features: (Pictures shown in order)
  • Microfiber interior lining (prevents the Nexus 7 from getting scratched, as well as keeping the screen free of major smudges).
  • Flap is secured shut by magnets on the outer edge (circled in red)
  • NOT Leather (it's made of PU which imitates the look of leather but feels much closer to what the back of the Nexus 7 feels like)
  • Recessed (not cut outs) buttons, this allows for much easier access to the vital buttons.

• Cutouts for both mic's, headphone jack, microUSB port and Speakers (seen above)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Versatility: (Pictures shown in order)
  • The flap folds back completely (great for holding with one hand)

• 2 viewing angles (one suited for typing and the other more suited for viewing media

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Pricing and Additional Pictures:
Can be purchased directly from the manufacturer: Poetic - $39.95
Amazon - $19.95

Last edited:

Tonttunator

Aug 6, 2012
Thank you very much for this detailed review. I'm seriously contemplating purchasing this now.

Edit: I ordered the case from UK Amazon.

Last edited:

AMoosa

Sep 24, 2006
I have a brand new spare one of these for sale to UK members for £12 delivered. I personally use one myself but just have a spare. PM me if you're interested.

eNdblu

Jan 6, 2011
Where did you get that Android sticker from that you put on the case? That looks great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Luke0003

Sep 3, 2012
Looks fantastic. Appreciate the review and the useful images. Mine is currently on its way to my door! So happy that the revised version folds back flush with the back.

NicoGa

Jul 10, 2012
Montreal
Build quality is pretty good on this case! The flap is very Apple-esque in terms of build quality.
Well, many people appear to think the opposite concerning the build quality ... even for the third rev. of the case, see this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1792355

They are large concern about the poor build quality and the fact that this case deteriorate fast ... pictures on the amazon webpage speak by themselves ...

Last edited:

nateysmith

Aug 26, 2010
Utah
From what I can tell there are bound to be some who are harder on cases than others. I am not saying that this is necessarily the reason for the issues some have seen. Poetic seems to be doing a good job of improving their product and listening to their customers. It also has a 3 year warranty, so if something does happen then it will be replaced. I think that shows you a company that will stand behind their products.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Build quality is pretty good on this case! The flap is very Apple-esque in terms of build quality.
Can this case be used and have a screen protector? The Nexus 7 seems to be a fingerprint magnet.

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
From what I can tell there are bound to be some who are harder on cases than others. I am not saying that this is necessarily the reason for the issues some have seen. Poetic seems to be doing a good job of improving their product and listening to their customers. It also has a 3 year warranty, so if something does happen then it will be replaced. I think that shows you a company that will stand behind their products.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Can this case be used and have a screen protector? The Nexus 7 seems to be a fingerprint magnet.
I've been using the original case, that's without any revisions, for about a month. No signs of wear and tear, and this was the same case with the flap that wouldn't fold all the way back! I had no problems with it, since Poetic promised to have it fixed shortly after I received it, WITHOUT any complaint from me at all. The company stands behind their product. And should something go wrong with the case, it's under warranty for 3 years!! I'm sure none of us will even hold on to our Nexi for 3 full years :)

As for the screen protector, YES! If you look closely, I have a xoskins screen protector on it. If you can't see it in any of the pictures, then the screen protector is just that good! I've always been happy with xoskins products. They don't brown and yellow after use like Zaggs, and there is virtually no orange peel either. The only reason I opted to put a screen protector on the N7 was because of the fingerprints, and the xoskins screen protector really does a good job at keeping those fingerprints at bay.

EDIT: Just realized you can't really see a screen protector actually on the device in the pictures... You'll just have to take my word for it, it's really that good!

Last edited:

nateysmith

Aug 26, 2010
Utah
I've been using the original case, that's without any revisions, for about a month. No signs of wear and tear, and this was the same case with the flap that wouldn't fold all the way back! I had no problems with it, since Poetic promised to have it fixed shortly after I received it, WITHOUT any complaint from me at all. The company stands behind their product. And should something go wrong with the case, it's under warranty for 3 years!! I'm sure none of us will even hold on to our Nexi for 3 full years :)

As for the screen protector, YES! If you look closely, I have a xoskins screen protector on it. If you can't see it in any of the pictures, then the screen protector is just that good! I've always been happy with xoskins products. They don't brown and yellow after use like Zaggs, and there is virtually no orange peel either. The only reason I opted to put a screen protector on the N7 was because of the fingerprints, and the xoskins screen protector really does a good job at keeping those fingerprints at bay.

EDIT: Just realized you can't really see a screen protector actually on the device in the pictures... You'll just have to take my word for it, it's really that good!
Thanks for the quick reply. I already know the case that I will be getting my N7 thanks to you!

Reactions: Djfantom