Votes: 448 57.6%
  • GPE

Votes: 187 24.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

leo9891

Jan 12, 2012
Deltona
So i've posted here before about how i preferred Sense 6, ONLY because of the HTC Camera App. Since recently, I switched to CM12, and I have to say, the ROM is REALLY smooth and fast. the camera on there is snappy, but the quality is still lacking. I then installed the HTC Camera from the Play Store, and it works! So now I can say I like both the AOSP or GPe since I can install the HTC Camera.

I just think HTC's camera app was optimized for the 4 Ultra Pixel Duo Camera on board of the M8.

I think this is where HTC has earned a future customer, minus the M9 cause of the minor aesthetic update. M10 will probably be my next phone, even with just a minor update to the look of the phone.

bigbear6708

Apr 13, 2012
So.. U can install the sense camera from store?? And gallery for all the edit stuff? If yes, I'm a gpe convert..lol

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

leo9891

Jan 12, 2012
Deltona
So.. U can install the sense camera from store?? And gallery for all the edit stuff? If yes, I'm a gpe convert..lol

Yes, you can. I installed the HTC Camera, HTC Gallery, and HTC Video Viewer. You can install all of the HTC apps.

Other manufacturers need to do this! I always wanted the Nexus 6, but it was way too pricey for off contract, and I actually like some of the manufaturers built in apps (SOME! VERY FEW LOL), and the build quality and aesthetics of the HTC One M8 is unrivaled for an Android device. So now I have me a Nexus 6 with the beauty of HTC and some of HTC's apps. Its a win-win!

bigbear6708

Apr 13, 2012
Yes, you can. I installed the HTC Camera, HTC Gallery, and HTC Video Viewer. You can install all of the HTC apps.

Other manufacturers need to do this! I always wanted the Nexus 6, but it was way too pricey for off contract, and I actually like some of the manufaturers built in apps (SOME! VERY FEW LOL), and the build quality and aesthetics of the HTC One M8 is unrivaled for an Android device. So now I have me a Nexus 6 with the beauty of HTC and some of HTC's apps. Its a win-win!

Best news ever. Guess I've got reason to root, s off, etc. This is the longest I've gone. Lol

joaocadide

Feb 10, 2011
London
How can I install HTC Camera on my converted GPE M8?? I cannot find any way to do it! It says it's not available on the Play Store.

:confused:

ryanrich

Jul 6, 2010
Cape Town
Definitely Sense!

I converted to GPE a few days ago to try it out and was very disappointed. The fact that you can't even edit the shortcuts in the drop down menu is madness... Seems like they went backwards from Kit Kat in some ways.

Sense is pretty awesome, not very intrusive and ugly like TouchWiz and adds nice functionality.

leo9891

Jan 12, 2012
Deltona
How can I install HTC Camera on my converted GPE M8?? I cannot find any way to do it! It says it's not available on the Play Store.

:confused:

Hmmmm, maybe its only on AOSP. I don't understand as to why because on the Official GPe HTC One M8, it comes with the HTC Camera, Photo Edit, and Gallery, along with BoomSound.

krazie1

Jun 5, 2010
What you guys think about GPE/AOSP 5.1 compared to Sense 7. I personally think Android 5.1 has some battery improvements when I was using one of the AOSP 5.1 roms, but Sense 7 looks really good & works 100%.

Opticuhl

Jul 12, 2013
The only thing that keeps me from loving AOSP is that really, really, bad audio quality (especially notifications). I still run it either way though but it almost makes me wish that I bought a Nexus phone lol.

Nic2112

Mar 4, 2010
Ottawa
What you guys think about GPE/AOSP 5.1 compared to Sense 7. I personally think Android 5.1 has some battery improvements when I was using one of the AOSP 5.1 roms, but Sense 7 looks really good & works 100%.

5.01 and Sense 6, I was leaning towards GPE. Now even with Sense 6 and the updated apps, I'm leaning towards sense but I still haven't tried a Sense 7 ROM.
I should do that right now.

krazie1

Jun 5, 2010
5.01 and Sense 6, I was leaning towards GPE. Now even with Sense 6 and the updated apps, I'm leaning towards sense but I still haven't tried a Sense 7 ROM.
I should do that right now.
Yeah I am stuck between sense 7 and gpe 5.1. Gpe 5.1 has far greater battery than 5.0. I'm using IC sense 7 right now and it's great on battery with everything working.

Nic2112

Mar 4, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah I am stuck between sense 7 and gpe 5.1. Gpe 5.1 has far greater battery than 5.0. I'm using IC sense 7 right now and it's great on battery with everything working.

Have you tried ARHD? That's the one I usually prefer because it's closer to stock so usually less chance of problems or glitches.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just bought my One M8 (gunmetal) the other day and immediately converted it to a GPE when I brought it home. I was actually going to buy the GPE from the Play Store, but I wanted the gunmetal variant (GPE is only available in silver). I was delighted to discover that the GSM version could be converted to a GPE. So while I cannot compare my M8 running GPE RUU to Sense (I really didn't even use Sense except to turn on USB debugging), I can compare it to my Nexus 5 running the Android L Preview.

I have to say unequivocally that the One M8 hardware combined with stock Android is a match made in heaven for me. I've been using the Nexus 5 for a while, and though I love the phone and stock experience, the battery life was pretty bad. Installing the L Preview was fun and I've been running it as a daily driver since it came out. I'm still using it on wifi, so I'm able to directly compare my M8 to it.

Here are my impressions of the GPE 4.4.4 converted M8 compared to my Nexus 5 running Android L Preview:

- With my M8 on Dalvik, there is a bit of stuttering in apps. The notification pane is smooth, as is the app drawer and launcher (using Nova). But when using apps (particularly Facebook, Google+ and even the XDA forums app), there is stuttering when scrolling up and down. It's more than just the universal stutter you get when things are loading in from the network. It seems like either the CPU is underclocking or perhaps the stuttering you get without Trim optimization. It's not worse than I've seen on other phones, but the Nexus 5 running the L Preview is buttery smooth (perhaps the smoothest experience I've seen on Android).

- I switched my M8 to ART and it got much smoother, pretty much on par with the Nexus. Didn't think it would make much difference, but it certainly did... though now I miss my Xposed modules (sure hope the devs will be able to port it to ART). So now I have to choose between a slightly lagging device running Dalvik with more customizations via Xposed OR getting a smoother experience on ART while losing my customizations.

- I have not experienced any issues with the camera other than a bit of finicky focusing at times. But I've been used to using the Google Camera interface on my Nexus, so I feel right at home. I have to say that the M8 camera is definitely better in low light. Of course, there's not as much detail when cropping or zooming in because of the lower resolution, but quite good for sharing on the web or for small prints (I still remember my Nikon Coolpix 950 that was 2 megapixels and quite popular back in the day). The front-facing camera on the M8 is spectacular relative to the Nexus' poor selfie camera. I am getting a small bug in the Google Camera interface on the M8: if I choose the 4:3 ratio at highest resolution for the back camera, the viewfinder is not masked properly (doesn't show the right ratio and the photos taken in this mode are framed differently than I shot them).

- Battery life on the M8 running GPE is phenomenal compared to my Nexus! My typical usage is to take my 100% charged phone to work and use it for playing podcasts at 1.5x speed for about half of my shift. I also use my phone for hotspot for about 30-40 minutes along with some screen on time during breaks. There's no wifi at work, so the phone is on the cellular network the entire time with pretty poor signal inside the building. After my 8-hr shift, I'm typically at 30-40% with my Nexus and with the M8, I'm leaving work with appx 70% battery. Both phones are configured to use High accuracy location reporting and I use Google Now quite extensively.

In summary, I am quite pleased with the GPE M8 conversion. I was a little annoyed by the minor stuttering, and I'm still debating whether to stick with ART or go back to Dalvik for my mods. I suppose it'll be a moot point once Android L comes out because I'll have no choice but to be on ART... and hopefully by then, Xposed will be updated.
    Which is your preference and why? I like sense 6 a lot but ventured out yesterday to AOSP and its really nice but its something about sense 6 that has me wanting to go back. I am going to test out GPE rom and see how I like it.

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk
    What is the difference between GPE and an aosp ROM like slim kat?

you can read it everywhere dude -.-
    the GPE Version is the stock Android with some Framework and apps from HTC/Samsung. it doesnt has all things like sense or touchwiz has. but they are always getting updates faster then sense or touchwiz Rom
    After using stock android for 3 years on my Galaxy Nexus and then Nexus 5, I actually liked Sense more after getting an HTC One M8. It just feels much more polished and user friendly. At the moment I prefer Sense, but once Android L gets released ill definitely switch to GPE and try it out. From the pictures and videos I've seen, I think ill like stock Android L more than Sense.