Votes: 53 7.0%
  • Still Working - 2.2 Froyo Firmware/With Lagfix

Votes: 63 8.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
tell them you used to live in canada when you bought it .. no contract and since moved to the u.s. see what the say.. i think in that case it is illegal to void warranty.

Reactions: johntitor

nightmare56

Oct 25, 2010
Toronto
i will call both numbers tomorrow the one alfahmed posted 1-800-726-7864
and the one in xxgg's sig 1-888-751-4078

I got my phone from kijiji two months ago and it died today. I don't have a receipt.

B.H.O

Jan 7, 2011
Toronto
ouch! Mine died 2 weeks after I got it... Flashed it with 2 to 3 Roms... and died... The reason why I Flashed tho was because The Menu and Back softkeys were active when ever they wished... They would be active every 5-10 sec by themselves ... that's when i knew something wasin't right... any ways i'm done with the Galaxy .... no point in going back when ppl are on their 2nd and 3rd phones.... Just got the Xperia X10a ... happy with it....

Oct 28, 2010
Just got a call from Bell; my phone is ready for pick up. New mother board & memory, allegedly, and now has Froyo, allegedly. Knowing my luck with this phone, it probably now has the iPhone's alarm defect too...

johntitor

Jan 5, 2011
Dallas
Well after several weeks arguing with Samsung Canada support I decided the best way to get rid of this problem is through EBAY...

As you may know they are not helping me out cause I'm at the US, So this is like my last resort.

If anyone is interested on getting a phone that has the SD Card problem cause of the Froyo update in order to fix it or get it replaced please go to http://bit.ly/eygnOb

Thanks Guys.

xxgg

Jul 10, 2009
Toronto
i've just got back my phone after 2nd repair.

this is my 3rd phone now...

let see how it goes.

oh god, failure of this magnitude should be recalled. stop being sold, give alternative to those with problems.

(#&%)(#*% you Samsung!!

shaahinjjj

Aug 12, 2010
Does anyone know if the new Galaxys from Bell that come with Froyo pre-installed have the internal memory problems too or not? Waiting for my 3rd replacement and it was promised that it's the new series that come with 2.2 installed. Let's see if that's gonna make a difference.

que3jxp

Dec 26, 2008
I am now a breath away from 4 weeks on a December hardware that came with 2.1 and was updated to 2.2 JL2 right away. (My old phone that died was an August)

The only real issue in all this time is that the built in audio app does not respond to Bluetooth transport keys on my headset. Fortunately, I use Beyondpod for podcasts most of the time so it is not that big of an inconvenience. I have not seen one Force Close or one crash of an app.

Reactions: shaahinjjj

gtg2

Aug 12, 2010
Does anyone know if the new Galaxys from Bell that come with Froyo pre-installed have the internal memory problems too or not? Waiting for my 3rd replacement and it was promised that it's the new series that come with 2.2 installed. Let's see if that's gonna make a difference.

No one knows for sure yet. Some phones with 10.11 (shipping with 2.2), 10.12 (were shipping with 2.1 but now appear to be 2.2) and possibly 11.01 (?) dates have certainly failed. The numbers appear very low so far which either indicates the problem is (mostly) solved, there just aren't many of the newer phones out yet or the newer phones haven't been out long enough.

Reactions: shaahinjjj

Froster08

Aug 4, 2010
Just got mine back from warranty repair. I took it in the second week of December and got it back yesterday.

I got my old phone back, but apparently the motherboard was replaced. It came preloaded with JL2, which is a lot better so far than JH2 was, but nowhere near as good as Doc's JK3 was when my phone died.

BottleB

Jul 19, 2008
My phone still running. Got it in Oct it came preloaded with JH2. Ran it stock for a long time. I went from JH2 to JK4 to JL2. Then flashed Hardcore speedmod...got a little trouble after that. apps kept force closing and softkernel reboots...i then flashed JS3 with JL2 modem from the magic kitchen and its been running fine ever since! Still on my 1st i9000m...! KNOCK on wood!

edit : no lagfix btw.

nedthehead

Feb 19, 2011
Mine just died on me. Was running Darky 9.3 and Hardcore's Speedmod ULFK. Ugh. Shipping it to Samsung today. We'll see how long it takes to get it back. I REALY don't want to wait 2 weeks for a new phone...

EDIT: Has this issue been fixed in the recent models? Mine was purchased in November, so still under Sammy's 1 year parts and labour, but I don't want to get a new model back and run into the same problem

Last edited:

dgovil

Aug 9, 2010
So there goes my i9000m. Definitely the internal card failed.
I was always so lucky in that mine was a 17/07/2011 model that had working 3bn combos right out of the box. Then recently it started failing.

Going to call Bell and Samsung tomorrow to figure this out.

Is it a 1yr warranty on it? I still have my Bell receipt and all(though it was previously unlocked by them). I have a trip to go to for most of April so will probably only be able to attend to it in May, so I hope my warranty still holds up.

Have to use a ****ty iPhone 3G for now. Miss the back button so much.

jt_kyle

Mar 5, 2011
if ur a bell user and ur overclocking your i9000M 90% chance your phone will have an internal sd mount failure. it is what it is people. canada gets **** product all the time.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using XDA Premium App

wang1chung

Aug 9, 2010
toronto
just an fyi, just finished sending my phone in for replacement (mmcblk0p1 error) and it seems they have been taking a ****load more sgs' in lately (black screen with soft keys lit up symptoms).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I sent the following email yesterday to the consumer reports segment of our local CTV News broadcast, and copied the Bell support escalation email address.

In all likelihood nothing will come of it, but maybe the threat of some press coverage will motivate Bell to comment (okay probably not, but who knows).

Anyway - feel free to send something similar. Can't hurt by having more people try to get awareness of it.

Email said:
    To: 'olsen@ctv.ca'
    To: 'executive.office@bell.ca'

Dear Olsen On Your Side,

I'm writing to suggest a story for your segment on CTV News in the hopes of getting some attention from Bell/Samsung.

The issue concerns a high-end Android smartphone manufactured by Samsung and sold by Bell - the Samsung Galaxy S (aka Vibrant / I9000M).

Numerous users across Canada, myself included, have been experiencing premature failures of our phones. The issue is characterized by the phone failing to start (boot into the Android operating system), thus rendering the phones completely inoperable and causing users to lose any data stored in their phone. For some phones, the problem happens at random, for others it seems that a recent Android update (to version 2.2) is a likely contributing factor.

Unfortunately the only fix for the problem is to send the phone back to Bell for repair. Many users are waiting upwards of 6 weeks to have their phone repaired. Mine has been getting "repaired" for 3 weeks now, with no firm timeline as to when the repairs might be completed.

I believe Samsung/Bell need to be held accountable for selling phones to the public that they know are faulty. So far neither Samsung nor Bell have officially acknowledged the problem, however a number of Bell representatives with whom I have spoken seem to be aware of the issue.

If there is anything you can do to bring this issue to the attention of Bell and/or Samsung, it would be greatly appreciated.

The ongoing discussion surrounding this problem can be found in several online forums, including:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=868569
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=793404

Thank you,
    <signed by me>
    Well, I took my phone in and switched it for a Desire Z, best of luck with all your phones when 2.2 officially comes out :(

LOL

Picked up a Desire Z today too! My Galaxy S is going for sale when its back from repair. I forgot what a quality handset was like.. this thing is awesome, and Sensu UI ****s all over crapwiz. The phone is so fast and smooth, a joy to use. GPS works awesome too.

Good luck to all of you with your Galaxy S phones, I'm out of here. See you in the Desire Z forums.
    count me in for any petition and/or class action ...

+1 Here as well.

It's not a minor issue anymore, they've made this awesome phone worthless with this issue.

If there is a way to make them pay notice via petition or wht not, create one and count me in.
    OK I called Samsung Canada. I'm at the US.
    They told me my warranty was voided because I got it into the US (WTF?)
    I told him all the classic stuff... It's a Bell phone, from Canada, I'ts unlocked, I didn't make any strange things to it... I need to know how to repair it... bla... bla...

They guy that took the call told me the only way was sending it through bell...
    I'm not at Canada !!!!

What can I do next?

------------------
    I'm definitely buying another android phone... but NOT BUYING A SAMSUNG MOBILE ANYMORE.... I'm tired of SAMSUNG bad customer service.... (This includes US & CANADA)

I want to get it repaired to get the brick to work... and give it as a gift or sell it....

First of all you should call again to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about.
    But!! You do require a canadian shipping adress. That is a must requirement.
    Call the number on my signature

Sent from my HTC Magic using XDA App
    tell them you used to live in canada when you bought it .. no contract and since moved to the u.s. see what the say.. i think in that case it is illegal to void warranty.