Poll: IS your xperia X1 case cracked? Please contribute.

Do you have, or have you had a cracked experia X1

• Yes - I have, or have had a cracked X1 Silver

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • No - My X1 is fine. Black

Votes: 86 49.7%
  • No - My X1 is fine. Silver

Votes: 53 30.6%
  • Yes - I have, or have had a cracked X1 Black

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Oms

Feb 6, 2008
PLEASE ONLY VOTE ONCE YOU'VE HAD YOUR DEVICE FOR A FEW WEEKS - As pointed out below, if you vote the day you receive it it most likely won't have any cracks... only to find them later (by which time you can't change your vote).

Hiya,

I'm thinking of getting an experia X1 to replace my TC...

...but I beleive there are build quiality issues as highlighted by the post above.

Can we have a poll to see the actual % of people suffering from this problem?

So:

Yes - I have, or I've had a cracked X1
or
No - My X1 is fine

That would help potential buyers make decisions a lot easier IMO.

Ta,

Oms.

Last edited:

kawaznic

Dec 14, 2008
hi,

I have a silver Xperia.
One crack on the phone after 2 days .

It was exchanged at the phone shop.

Nicolas:(

c_legaspi

Nov 25, 2008
ive not had a problem yet..... since coming across this issue on the board, ive been keeping a close eye on how i handle the x1a silver. im sure it will crack sooner or later just because its seems so thin of a plastic in that area. i have not removed my stylus and am using the spare. it would have been better if sony used metal just like the battery cover.

Oms

Feb 6, 2008
Many thanks for the contributions...

...and many thanks to the mods for adding the colour options.

I'd be interested to see how this changes over the coming months...

PS O2 - do they have both colour options?

Jabe

Sep 23, 2008
this thread will have many "false negatives". people buying the phone one day and click "no crack" the next. If the crack was to appear in the next few weeks, there would be no way to change the vote.

Oms

Feb 6, 2008
this thread will have many "false negatives". people buying the phone one day and click "no crack" the next. If the crack was to appear in the next few weeks, there would be no way to change the vote.

True... I've changed the original post to reflect this.

That said, there could be more 'false' reports by users who have had more than one device (ie - original faulty, and replacement fine).

It's good to see that there are people out there without faulty devices though..

Jabe

Sep 23, 2008
well i haven't voted yet, but add me to the black-no-crack crowd for now. I've had it for little over 2 weeks. once a month passes, i'll vote in the pole, since most cracks have appeared around that time frame.

apprentice

Apr 22, 2005
NORWICH, England
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Any news from SE or HTC

Has anyone successfully challenged Sony Ericsson or HTC regarding this problem?

It's one thing to take the phone back to the shop, but you're just going to end up with a device that most likely will crack again.

My phone developed a crack very recently. I have had it about 6 weeks.

I think it may be due to the very poor battery cover design, which forces you to twist the device slightly when desperately trying to lever it off, or apply a lot of pressure when pushing it back on. As I have had a lot of problems with the battery cover and have also been taking it off A LOT (whilst swapping memory cards), I am sure this is the route of the problem.

LittleJay

Nov 5, 2008
these cracks look to be where the stylus goes into the case
maybe people are trying to put the stylus in at an angle and putting pressure on the case causing it to crack
ive had my xperia since uk launch and i havn't had any problems

kmac27

Nov 28, 2008
No problems so far, mine fell already two times on a wooden floor from about 50 cm without any damage.

---
cu
Robert

Oms

Feb 6, 2008
There's lots of discussion about the craked cases in the thread at the top...

...I only started this thread to gauge a percentage of faulty units.

It seems that 50% of the silver units are faulty (based on the info so far), with only about 5% of the black ones.

I know what colour I'll be getting!

Oms

Feb 6, 2008
Potentially bad news for some people:

I've contacted O2 and the chap I spoke to believes that the X1 is only available in silver...

...he can't tell me for sure because they don't have any stock.

I really hope it's not true, or else I'll have to defect to Voda.

Update:
Still no stock as of 20/12/08.

Last edited:

Bladeblunter

Jan 3, 2009
I noticed my black x1 is cracked at the bottom of the key pad and on the right hand side. The cracks are very hard to see on the black units which may explain why the percentage is lower.

You have to look real close to see the one at the bottom in the black plastic but the one on the right hand side in the silver strip is easy to see.

Im thinking of writing a letter of complaint, its not what I expect of a 500 squid phone!

baste07

Jun 22, 2009
Manila
well i haven't seen any cracks on my month old xperia.. but now i am facing a problem with the batter cover, it seems that the hinge where the covers supposedly clips on.. no longer clips on.. i had to put a tape on the cover just to keep if from popping out... i'm dis appointed with that.. the phone is great.. but the casing sucks

oTToToTenTanz

Aug 11, 2008
Why is the poll closed? Or did I just vote some time ago?
Well, my Xperia has slight cracks near the stylus hole. Damn it.
But if it is not getting worse I won't replace it. Takes far too
much time and stress.

So long,
Kon

Oms

Feb 6, 2008
I've had three X1s from O2 UK so far... each I've kept for a month plus.

None of them have suffered from cracks.

I've had an 08 W48, 08 W52 and an 09 W??.

Looks like the problem isn't with any of the O2 UK stock?