[POLL: Vote 4 Yours] Summary of issues people having with g4

Which LG G4 Problem You Are Facing?????

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

sladflob

Dec 18, 2010
Seems like quite a few people are seeing defects in the oleophobic screen coating in the form of horizontal lines across the screen that are mostly visible when the screen is turned off. The lines disappear when the screen is cleaned, only to return once the screen gets a bit dirtier. Looks like it's a manufacturing defect. LG seem to have dropped the ball with quality control here. See the thread I started about this here.

kingwaffle

Feb 26, 2012
Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to. :)
I got home from work today, and as soon as I walked in the door and connected to my Wifi I received a bunch of notifications all at once...so fast dormancy didn't seem to do anything.

I also noticed the stock LG App on the 815 doesn't handle MMS group texting properly. It splits each message into separate conversations and there doesn't appear to be any way to change it.

rsbenedict

Jun 12, 2005
Sacramento
teachforjune.com
Thanks. Never thought to long press it. Is that function noted somewhere?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I think it's standard fair for LG phones (perhaps others since the menu button was removed by Google).

Try watching Tips and Tricks videos on Youtube to find out all the secret goodies out there. This is my 3rd LG phone since I left Samsung after GS4.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

I got home from work today, and as soon as I walked in the door and connected to my Wifi I received a bunch of notifications all at once...so fast dormancy didn't seem to do anything.

I also noticed the stock LG App on the 815 doesn't handle MMS group texting properly. It splits each message into separate conversations and there doesn't appear to be any way to change it.

How does Fast Dormancy affect WIFI. It's my understanding that Fast Dormancy (for those carriers that support it) allows for handing off from 2G/3G/4G/LTE depending on what's available. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And if what you're saying is that you didn't get your notifications because you weren't in an LTE area and the phone didn't connect at lower speeds, perhaps in the network settings you have it set to LTE only or something similar.

Mystikalrush

May 1, 2011
I can only assume only people with issues are reporting in. If I knew about all the horrific posts people are making, I honestly would have given the S6 a 2nd thought.

I loved my G3 and didn't think twice about the G4. Thankfully I am having 0 issues with the tons of reported problems people are giving.

Hope I didn't jinx myself...

Sent from my VS986 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: phineous and Makpoc

nipun1110

Aug 6, 2011
Dhaka
Glad I'm not the only one

Sent from my T-Mobile LG G4 using Tapatalk

Chrome lags can be minimized by changing a few plugins. Search in Google for it writing "how to make chrome faster" & you will find out. Also I think you should disable the dual window. Both of these make a huge improvement IMO.

holzmann

Jun 15, 2015
I may have a Chrome gripe. Seems like when Facebook or another app tries to launch a link in Chrome, the link gets passed into Chrome but doesn't load. I have to cut the link, open a new tab, paste and go. I have noticed this a few times.

kingwaffle

Feb 26, 2012
How does Fast Dormancy affect WIFI. It's my understanding that Fast Dormancy (for those carriers that support it) allows for handing off from 2G/3G/4G/LTE depending on what's available. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The notifications flooded through because sometime during the day the data died on my phone and thus wasn't getting notifications.

From what I read, fast dormancy is basically the following:
Data connectivity on providers is usually in two states: On or off. Fast dormancy basically adds intermediary states between on/off which can help reduce the time necessary to re-establish a data connection. If the carrier supports it, it can also help with battery life since connecting from an "off" state uses a good chunk of horsepower.

fireguy0306

Jun 18, 2010
I haven't really had any issues. when I'm indoors I turn the brightness down and the battery life has been excellent, the standby time is very impressive. yes the screen does use a bunch of power but it was the same way with my m8. now I will say if you crank the brightness you can watch the battery drop quickly.

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
Another issue I noticed is that my lock screen (I'm using a PIN, so the screen that asks for the PIN entry) uses a different wallpaper than my existing wallpaper.

Currently the lock screen uses the blue/pink wallpaper that originally was set as the stock wallpaper. But I've since changed my wallpaper to the black/gray cloth one that came with the phone. It's just weird that it shows a different wallpaper when I go to unlock it.

cowsquad

Aug 31, 2009
Portland, Oregon
Perfect summary.

I've also seen a lot of people saying that they aren't having these problems which can lead to people thinking the phone is perfect, which it's not. I love the screen size and the display but the software is really letting this phone down.

I've experienced many problems too, such as: stuttering, poor battery life at high brightness, brightness dimming down by itself, slow charging, lag and stutter in games, e.g. dead trigger 2 and subway surfers (yes I've turned off game optimiser) and the notification pull down freezing frequently when I get a notification. However, as I saw a lot of people saying that their phones were perfect I chose to exchange my phone instead of return it. My new phone has the exact same problems (uk device on v10a).

Maybe these problems can be fixed with a software update but the question is will it? My G3 lagged and stuttered from the beginning and no software update changed that. The only fix was to switch to a cm12 rom which made the phone finally perform smoothly, at the cost of battery life and camera quality.

It's been at least 3 phones in a row now that have had poor software (g3, g flex 2 and now g4). They're supposed to test their phones before putting them out to consumers but it doesn't seem like they really care so I don't have much hope.

Worst thing is I really want to love this phone and think LG's hardware design is perfect but the software is most likely going to make me sell it.
I, sometimes think that the user is the problem. I havent any issues with my phone so far. Games are always gonna make a phone lag, drain battery, and over heat.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 AM ----------

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but on the Sprint model the WiFi randomly turns itself on. I rarely use WiFi, so it's definitely not me turning it on and forgetting that i did or anything.
It is cause by connection optimizer. Simply go into settings, mobile networks, connection optimizer and turn it off. That will fix it.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: One Twelve

dislplin01

Apr 10, 2011
Y biggest gripe is software, it feels like I'm using a unfinished, unpolished release, for example you can't change the slide animation when a lock code is being used, even though we have smart lock witch still uses the animation for when in a trusted place, also if I try to open an app from a notification on the lock screen I have to swipe after double tapping. These are just a couple examples there are more, but it doesn't feel like they put as much live into the OS, that and lack of root ect. I realize this all comes with a new device but coming from a nexus 6 its a little rough. Iv attached pics

Sent from my LG-H811 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1434556708941.jpg
    1434556708941.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 308
  • 1434556719555.jpg
    1434556719555.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 310

maslelviz

Dec 17, 2012
Vilnius
I bought an LG G4 and loved it, but it had a faulty digitizer, I was experiencing ghost touches when pinching the screen. Now I have to wait for two weeks until they "Investigate the problem" and probably bringing a replacement... but my biggest complaint about this phone is that it's not rooted yet. I am starting to doubt it will be a well community supported device....and knowing LG's update track record.... it keeps me nervous....

BDestroyer8418

Jun 7, 2013
Chicago,IL
I seen someone else mention the screen brightness dimming on its own. Does no one else have this. Both Tmobile G4 I have in hand do this. I find it happens the most when charging at low% of battery and it heats up. Do they have some kind of protection on this hidden in the software or something where it will auto dim and no one know about it. Like I mention it is random and will jump from 100% to either 90%, 80% or 70%. Need more users to test this and if so do you have a Screen protector or not.

I am getting a new Screen protector to test but I did get the phone to do it without one and it jumped from 100 to 90% so something is wrong with the G4.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let's be clear. G4 is an awesome device. But it's still kindof in the pre-production phage, don't you think? It's not even available 10 countries in the world. Anyway many of who have already bought LG G4, are actually migrated from another smartphone branding either HTC, Samsung, Nexus, Apple etc. And the youtubers contributed a lot in this publicity for LG. I hardly found anyone said any bad thing about G4, neither about it's battery life nor performance in those videos or reviews. But these two have become the most concerning area as well as disappointment for many of the users right now. I, myself also have been suffering with a few issues. I have already changed one device. Coming from XDA forum, here I will try my best to summarize all the problems people are facing with their G4 & also my observation on that matter from my personal experience as well as gathered knowledge from almost all the forums in XDA:

1. MISSED TAP:
    Almost all users reporting that G4 missing many taps to recognize.

My observation:
    Well, I have also experienced a few missed taps. But what I think it's not a LCD issue, rather less optimization/smoothness issue of the G4 ROM. How do I know? Well I switched on the touch sound. And every tap I did, including the missed ones, there was tapping sound. Even I tested in the manual testing, nothing reported like that. And even after formatting, symptoms reduced for some. But surely it's very annoying.
    Oh one thing about knock codes, I found LG LCD doesn't response to gentlest touches sometimes. You need to press slightly a bit more. Fact to be considered : I am still using the provided plastic protector.

2. LAGGING ISSUE:
    There is stuttering here and there in G4, not only in the stock launcher but also in the whole system.

My observations:
    No doubt G4 lags. You will notice less smoothness / sluggishness while sliding any page up & down in chrome, youtube, Google plus or anything. It is not "butter smooth" like some other OEMs for most of the users. But switching to Nova, turning off smart bulletin & dual window helped to some extent, but not completely.

3. BATTERY LIFE:
    Many of the moderate to heavy users complaining about quick battery drainage with low to medium brightness.

My observations:
    LG said many things about their battery life of G4 in their announcement party and many well-known youtubers also said very much positive things about G4's battery life i.e. it can easily last a day which raised up the expectation bar of many users. But the real scenario is quite not like that. Most of the medium to heavy users are getting average 3 - 4.5 hours SOT with keeping screen brightness low to medium which is not at all the way LG mentioned. It seems like LG is providing that extra battery knowing the fact that you will need to put on that extra one at the middle of the day for sure. Anyway, what I found is: G4's stand-by time is OUTSTANDING. Don't turn on that screen much, only receive a few calls, you can pass a decade (not literally) with a single charge. But turn on that screen, do browse, chat, Facebooking or Youtubing or anything keeping that overkill screen on, you will hardly pass 5 hours maximum. Raise the brightness a bit more, like 75-100%, brother, you are doomed. Your G4 will die within hours. For some, turning off auto brightness & keeping the brightness below 50% all the time, turning off fast-dormency, turning off GPS, using Greenify helped a bit. Anyway, my point is that awesome-bright-vivid-overkill screen is actually the curse for the G4 at present if LG doesn't bring up some solutions for it. What's the point if you can not enjoy the juice of a fruit which is known to be the tastiest of them all???

4. HEATING & SLOW CHARGING ISSUE:
    Very limited people including mine are complaining of frequent, not consistent, heating up issue of the phone as well as slow charging.

My observations:
    Many factors can be responsible for this. Some people find this scenario happening once a day, for some once in two days and these two issues are interconnected in my opinion. What can heat up the phone? May be some hidden apps, maybe weather, maybe some other things, but surely it does for some. Yah we have seen in all the reviews that G4 warms up a bit, but not very much. But the people who are complaining about it, found it uncomfortable to speak touching the phone to the face. I will attach a screenshot here, in which my phone was completely idle, was on charge, no phone call came & my phone got heat up to 42 degrees & it took almost 5 hours to charge from 20 - 100%. Again I am saying this is not a consistent scenario, but it's frustrating for some including mine.

5. OTHER ISSUES:
    These are some random issues found by some people:
    a) White sparking light in the screen.
    b) Yellow tint on screen.
    c) Bad bluetooth audio.
    d) Wifi speed problem.
    e) Helium app doesn't work properly.
    f) Nova launcher cannot install properly.
    g) Vibration too soft.
    h) Auto brightness inconsistancy.

So guys, if you have read it and if you are one of those renowned youtubers or columnists or bloggers whom LG guys follow on regular basis, please make an article or video about it, spread these information and let the LG guys know about these so that they can do something about it. I personally believe, software update can solve 95% of the issues. So be it.
    Thanks for your patience to read my post.
    I guess I've been pretty lucky thusfar.
    Only missed taps I've had is on the double-tap to wake, but I think it might be due to my hardly tapping it (was used to HTC's touch profile last time I had this feature).
    No lags here. :) I did notice that once, when I hit Home button, I returned to a blank home screen and it took about 5 seconds for the icons/widgets to show up...hasn't happened since the one time, though.
    Charging, I use the stock charger from my old Note 4, so I get decent times with that (generally 10%-100% in about 50 mins...I'll take that).
    As far as battery, I get about 3 hours screen on and 16-18 hours total per charge. Not bad considering I'm a heavy user when the screen is on and stream Spotify via BT speaker 12 hours/day while at work. I've only been through 3 charge cycles so far. It's still not what I was used to with the M8 or Note 4, so I will admit I'd like it to be better.
    I think I would go just about nuts if I had any of 5a, b, c, or d. LOL
    Same here. Not sure why there is so much inconsistency between devices. I bought the US trial version, and mine has been relatively good. If I had half of the problems reported I would have sold this thing ASAP and waited for a better crop of devices to come out this fall. I'm one of the few people who really like a stripped down TouchWiz, but with Knox/sealed but not waterproof body/no SD/weak battery the S6 wasn't cutting it. If only Samsung sold the Exynos to these other vendors... For now, I'm fine with the G4, but really hope we get root and unlocked BL so development explodes and the kernel can get tweaked.
    Agree with OP. Battery seems fine. Screen misses seem software related. I have show touches on can see it making contact. Seems like a background service eats all resources for a millisecond.

Coming from a G2, the LG phones are picky on their chargers. Just have to find ones that have a thick enough cord (I created a huge thread on this over in the G2 forums). We found you need a thicker cord and a proper charger.

Battery lasts longer then my G2. Thats a really good thing considering the screen and power bump.

Havent really noticed excessive heat after I factory reset.

I bought my G4 at verizon and put it back in the box until I got home so I could continue using my G2 (work related). Out of the box I played with it. It was hot as crap. Screen kept going from 100 to 90 to 80 to 90 to 80 to 100. Very sporadic. Syper hot. Went from 65% to 0 in like 30min.

I factory reset, now my brightness stays at 100% and its been 2 days. Battery is awesome. Temporature is cool. Never got warm surfing, emails, pics, pandora, etc.

Really no complaints outside I thought the screen would be brighter.
    I can only assume only people with issues are reporting in. If I knew about all the horrific posts people are making, I honestly would have given the S6 a 2nd thought.

I loved my G3 and didn't think twice about the G4. Thankfully I am having 0 issues with the tons of reported problems people are giving.

Hope I didn't jinx myself...

Sent from my VS986 using XDA Free mobile app
    Only problem I've had is holding back my enthusiasm about how flawless this phone is ( my wife would try to hijack it if she knew how impressed I am). I do miss 4 buttons on the bottom though
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone