Question Poor Battery

Search This thread

SilentEYE

Mar 23, 2008
Just a report over two weeks of usage.
The battery is quite fine and comparable to my Poco F3 Pro and a Oneplus 6T.
I would say that its even better than both.

Setup on all devices:
- 90% Wifi
- no data over night
- auto brightness
- CrDroid on Poco and 6T, GrapheneOS on Pixel

Second screen with 120 Hz (from 100%) and first with 60 Hz (from 92%).

60 Hz will give you apps 2 hours more SOT with mainly on apps without video streaming apps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221125-151113.png
    Screenshot_20221125-151113.png
    219.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Screenshot_20221114-090218.png
    Screenshot_20221114-090218.png
    170.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Reactions: DSF

EtherealRemnant

Setup on all devices:
- 90% Wifi
- no data over night
- auto brightness

First screen with 120 Hz (from 100%) and second with 60 Hz (from 92%).

60 Hz will give you apps 2 hours more SOT with mainly on apps without video streaming apps.
Seeing that 2 hour figure reminded me of my OnePlus 9 and the hit the battery took with 120hz on so I figured LTPO wasn't working properly on Graphene. A quick Google and that is indeed the case.

If it was working, you would have far less of a battery penalty.

dr.wtf

Dec 25, 2011
Seeing that 2 hour figure reminded me of my OnePlus 9 and the hit the battery took with 120hz on so I figured LTPO wasn't working properly on Graphene. A quick Google and that is indeed the case.

Stock android does the same on pixel. This is not a grapheneOS issue.

Reactions: HipKat

SilentEYE

Mar 23, 2008

The way the user checked the LTPO function is wrong. You can't check that with the integrated software features on android.
Here you can read why and that LTPO is working at least on stock rom and I think on GOS too.
It's the higher battery drain at 120 Hz, compared to a Samsung S22 Ultra that did make a difference. At least at the time of testing.

Reactions: dr.wtf

oko17

Dec 25, 2011

Setup on all devices:
- 90% Wifi
- no data over night
- auto brightness

First screen with 120 Hz (from 100%) and second with 60 Hz (from 92%).

How do you estimate the 2h difference?
Basing on your screenshots.
First used 97% battery with 9h 34 minutes SOT which is 574 minutes it gives 0.169%/min discharge
Second used 87% battery with 8h 17 minutes SOT which is 497 minutes it gives 0.175%/min discharge,

So basing on those discharging ratios, the difference is 20 minutes, not 2h for 100% discharge.

If the order is swapped because of uploading, so first is from 95%, and second from 89%, then the difference is even lower.

Reactions: HipKat

SilentEYE

Mar 23, 2008
How do you estimate the 2h difference?
Basing on your screenshots.
First used 97% battery with 9h 34 minutes SOT which is 574 minutes it gives 0.169%/min discharge
Second used 87% battery with 8h 17 minutes SOT which is 497 minutes it gives 0.175%/min discharge,

So basing on those discharging ratios, the difference is 20 minutes, not 2h for 100% discharge.

If the order is swapped because of uploading, so first is from 95%, and second from 89%, then the difference is even lower.
I did much more video streaming on that 120 Hz run. On 60 Hz I had more touch inputs.
As tested on gsmarena there is big difference on the interaction you do.
gsmarena_197.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: oko17

schalkeole

Jan 26, 2014
plus.google.com
My battery-life is really not that good. I transfered my old OnePlus 8Ts data with the cable option. Is this such a dealbreaker? I also use dual-sim and I think this might be a problem too?

SilentEYE

Mar 23, 2008
My battery-life is really not that good. I transfered my old OnePlus 8Ts data with the cable option. Is this such a dealbreaker? I also use dual-sim and I think this might be a problem too?
I was using dual sim on my old phones. The difference wasn't so much. It can be helpful if you use 2G only on the sim card you are just using for phone calls.

SilentEYE

Mar 23, 2008
Yesterday I did a full 60Hz run. And I think that 60Hz does make a difference, as I wasn't able to get more than 10h SOT with 120Hz on similar usage.

This device does have good battery life and there is IMO a problem with some software / Google setups. It is comparable to other devices like my Poco F3.

(screenshot: transferred some files at 10% battery that charged device to 20%. Did the screenshot therefore at 10% to have a realistic comparison)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221128-144145.png
    Screenshot_20221128-144145.png
    178.7 KB · Views: 99

matrixhaj

Mar 24, 2012
Got mine stats from 16 sessions (AccuBattery) and:
- average SOT - 6,23%/hr
- average Screen Off - 0,36%/hr

Full battery estimations:
- 100% SOT - 12 hr 33 mins
- 100% Screen off - 178 hr 02 mins
- Combined - 80 hr 49 mins

From my observations it's more like:
- 7-8 hrs of SOT with approx. 48 hrs of standby with 20-25% left in the tank
- overnight drainage - approx. 0,15%/hr
- typical usage: fb messenger, YouTube, browsing, calendar-tasks-emails, phone calls, bluetooth music, bits of whatsapp and instagram. 100% on LTE (doesn't matter at home or while commute). Mostly good signal with -82 dBm 56 asu
- Wifi disabled
- overnight Do Not Disturb
I call that big BS. "overnight drainage - approx. 0,15%/hr" So you are basically saying, that your phone will last 750 hours on standby? Good luck proving that.

gigaboss

Oct 11, 2007
New York
OnePlus 7 Pro
I think my phone is not going in deep sleep enough, any suggestions?
Hi everyone,

I figured out what my issue was. It was not easy so I thought I would write my findings here.
My battery life was ****ty. According to Accubattery my phone was almost never in deep sleep (less than 20% of the screen off time). I was not able to get 12h of battery life without charging, making it impossible to go through a full day.
It was hard for me to figure out if that was because of my use of the phone (I am a very heavy user) or if there was an issue.
The main thing that would make it hard to identify is that I use an app called "sleep as a droid" at night that watches my sleep and would probably prevent the phone from going to deep sleep.
But my issue happened during the day as well so I installed Better Battery Stats and after doing some research realized what I was looking for, "partial wakelocks". And I had to look for them during the day, ideally after not touching my phone for an hour or 2, to make sure that it was not related to my use of the phone but to an app.
I found out that Samsung Health was the culprit. I have a Samsung watch so I need Samsung Health to sync my steps etc. But Samsung was also trying to count the steps using my phone, not only my watch, and for that was syncing multiple times a minute and preventing the phone from going to deep sleep.
I deactivated the step counting from the phone and everything was much better! Deep sleep is way higher (around 50% of screen off time), I am able to get 15h+ of combined use (again I am a very heavy user), this is way less stressful than it used to be, I almost returned the phone haha!

I hope this helps people having a poor battery life :)

piotrkruczek

Jul 10, 2016
KRK
OnePlus 8 Pro
Google Pixel 5
I call that big BS. "overnight drainage - approx. 0,15%/hr" So you are basically saying, that your phone will last 750 hours on standby? Good luck proving that.

If you're losing 1,2% overall during 7-8 hrs night - how would you put it differently? Also - it's a 5000 mAh battery. 98-99% of idle time is in deep sleep. Do not disturb mode cuts off notifications and background checks.

+ just FYI - I have my Pixel 5 as a backup phone - it lasts 6-8 days on standby - LTE, few apps with notifications (eg. Facebook Messenger) AND with much smaller battery.

EtherealRemnant

If you're losing 1,2% overall during 7-8 hrs night - how would you put it differently? Also - it's a 5000 mAh battery. 98-99% of idle time is in deep sleep. Do not disturb mode cuts off notifications and background checks.

+ just FYI - I have my Pixel 5 as a backup phone - it lasts 6-8 days on standby - LTE, few apps with notifications (eg. Facebook Messenger) AND with much smaller battery.
I would love to only lose 1.2% per night. I'm averaging .8%/hr screen off no matter what I'm doing with my phone. It's honestly been perfectly fine for my usage. In fact, as time goes on, I'm not even getting under 40% across a whole day now because I'm just simply not messing with it as much (newness novelty has worn off), but more battery is always appreciated lol.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I honestly hope the Pixel 8 improves upon battery performance. I just keep reading mixed reviews and think Google and others should step up to improve upon this area so that we're not turning features off just to squeeze out a tiny bit extra of our batteries because its not optimized properly.

CBET

Apr 8, 2011
Moscow
I've got my P7P three days ago and i'm getting very good SOTs around 7 to 10 hours so i just can't complain. Great device!
I've uninstalled everything i don't need with universal android debloater tho.

Yoshito93

Nov 26, 2022
I got my pixel 7 pro last week. My SOT is 4.40 hrs average. I left the option of screen 120hz on. During the night i lose the 5% of the battery.
I think it is enough to arrive at 6 pm with a battery level of 30%. Not really happy about it, but at least i can go to work and come back home without charging my phone.

Yoshito93

Nov 26, 2022
Did someone experience an improvement of battery with the december update?
Personally i arrive now at 5.20hrs of SOT with 30% of battery, leaving on the 120hz screen.
I keep losing the 4/5% of battery during the night in standby.

AKN_92

Dec 14, 2021
Did someone experience an improvement of battery with the december update?
Personally i arrive now at 5.20hrs of SOT with 30% of battery, leaving on the 120hz screen.
I keep losing the 4/5% of battery during the night in standby.
I think my battery life seems a bit worse after the December update. Phone runs warmer too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think one of the think you can do to manage battery better is by changing governor and the tunable value,

Pixel 7 is using sched_pixel governor as default, and somehow the way it use CPU frequencies across load is a bit off.

you can try to change it to basic schedutil, and change the rate_limit_us value to 0 (from default 10000) , this value is act as delay time for cpu to switch between frequencies after calculating the load. The smaller the number, the shorter the delay. 0 value been known around linux community for increasing cpu responsiveness, so that it might finish task earlier and back to lowest state early as well.

you can change those two config using any kernel manager. For example, EX Kernel Manager
    Does anyone has a sporadic wakelock named "AwakeLock" that prevents the phone from going deep sleep?

It happens quite often and it's temporarily fixed with a reboot. "Fix" lasts for couple of days or so.
    No such wakelock for me that I can see in my latest BBS dump.
    Hi!
    Same issue here. I've already tried everything and the battery sucks, especially in standby mode. A 20% drain during the night can't be normal, the 2XL is still performing better! I really hope that the next updates will fix the problem
    I'm not sure if others have issues with battery drain and I did see the article on display on the Pixel 7 Pro being a battery killer...but after using the phone for a few days now, I can confirm that the phone, software, all the fancy features are absolutely great but the battery sucks. This phone is a battery killer indeed. I'm monitoring with accubattery and trying greenify but no luck yet. I have even tried keeping the Smooth Display disabled/turned off (to prevent refresh rate being increased to 120 Hz) but the brain drain literally is insane. I am not an expert and I am not sure if more battery charge cycles, optimization through phone use etc will help over time either. I have tried restricting battery use for many apps as well and tried disabling background data for some apps - no luck on this one too. Hopefully the underlying cause can be fixed with some usual Google software patch magic...if not, it's going to a year of battery misery I guess. I'm curious to hear others experience and any suggestions. Thank you.
    My wakelocks are similar but their duration and affects aren't that bad. We're approaching the middle of the month. If ur battery is lasting through the day can you wait until the February update? Just a suggestion. It'd allow you wipe at a new install and save you one time of pain!
    I'm already into a fresh reset, wipe and reinstalling my apps, etc now.
    Hopefully, this will solve it. I'll post back in a few days
    Huh? Hebf optimizer and aggressive doze? VIP battery saver? Are these magisk modules?
    HEBF. It's a root app. It's in the Play Store.
    Settings I have enabled:
    Aggressive doze.
    VIP battery saver.
    Liquid smooth UI.

As for magisk.
    Just these....
    Got the pro delivered today. Ive noticed battery life is quite poor. Dropping 5-10% every 30 mins or so. Battery usage seems to suggest the google app is using about 25% of the battery. Usage is nothing over the top. Coming from a pixel 5 with excellent battery
    Dude it's your first setup and install. Give it a day or two. Normal. I have used the 7 and 7 pro now for 3 weeks which is great.
    Do my texts in Google Messages restore to my device after I factory reset? If I don't choose to restore them, am I starting over and losing all of my text messages on my current phone? That is literally the only thing that I care about moving to my new phone, aside from everything else that is backed up in the cloud.
    SMS Backup and Restore from the Play Store is your friend.
    Thread cleaned again!

Well, here I am again, and hopefully for the LAST time! Dear people, we are taking this topic way too far of the rails. I will politely ask one last time for all members to
    please be respectful to each other as well as XDA Rule 2.3 for member conduct:

2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing and this does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is unacceptable. Treat new members in the manner in which you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instructions when you can, showing them respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

While I really don't relish heavy handed moderation, I will have no hesitation in banning repeated offenders from this thread from further rudeness or disrespect
    should this occur again. Please take your disagreements to FB, TG, SC or wherever since this is conduct unbecoming of XDA members as per the forum rules.

I thank you all for your cooperation, and wish you all a peaceful and calm rest of the day.

-Regards: Badger50
    OK. I'm cautious that some members may throw a tantrum if I say another thing positive about this phone, but here goes.

Currently on 26% battery, 4G been on all day, no WiFi, Surfshark VPN used for at least an hour, around 30 minutes of Whatsapp calls, browsing, a bit of Youtube, my Huawei Watch GT2 connected through Bluetooth all day and about 15 minutes of phone calls. A total of 6 hours 12 minutes SOT.

I either work for Google and I'm lying, or the battery life on MY HANDSET AT LEAST is absolutely fantastic.
    Good to see I'm not the only one with good battery, I thought I was going to have to start disliking the phone because everyone else did. That's how it works, isn't it?