Poor touchscreen latency?

Do you experience poor touchscreen latency (input lag) with the Nexus 5X?

• Yes

Votes: 83 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 40 32.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Kun2210

Dec 9, 2011
Poland, Cracov
My point was that I went through that hassle and have the same problem almost 2 months later. They haven't issued a fix for this yet.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Well, the only fix possible is to replace the set (phone + charger) with a set that is not having the issue. Not every 5X is suffering from this, so ye, there is a fix ;)

SuperGabri46

Dec 15, 2015
also my n5x has this issue, i don't want to return all. i think i will replace only the charger with a new one. do you think that another fast charger (like aukey charger) will work?:)

mcgon1979

Apr 9, 2010
Bought a nexus 5 last week in the UK (amazon) and just experienced this for the first time. I had been using the old Nexus 5(2013) charger with a new USB A to USB C cable and hadn't noticed anything. Using the supplied charger (3A rapid charging one) however causes many typing mistakes while using swipe input. That;s when I googled "lag while charging 5x" and found 10s of threads and forum entries.
It doesn't make the phone unusable, and surfing/browsing etc is fine. Just inputting large amounts of swipe text will have more errors due to intermittently missed inputs due to lag and sensitivity drop issues.

It seems apparent that the voltage/current sensitive electrostatic field used by the capacitive touchscreen is not correctly shielded from the relatively large 3A amp current which distorts it. I've seen this issue reported on the LG G4 and on the HTC One, so it's not just a nexus 5x hardware fault. It's a lack of shielding the capacitive screens from the new generation of large current 'fast' chargers. I don't know if it can be fixed with the charger being grounded or if it needs a new shielded screen design in the next gen of phones? Either way, it is a real problem. I won't bother sending the phone back for a replacement as I believe this is just a general design issue, not a unit fault. It's also not bad enough that I cannot use the phone while charging; (thats subjective though, and I know it would drive some people mad) I just see many more typos using swipe input to enter large amounts of text. Other than that, its ok. I tend to charge my phone when I'm not using it anyway, so impact for me is low.
Just my thoughts on this.

murfi

Jan 17, 2012
i have the same issue.

contacted google and told them that apparently its the charger, and if they would send me a new charger.

the responded that i would have to RMA the whole device. thats an inacceptable solution that is more inconvenient than any other solution. just send me a new freaking charger will ya

mcgon1979

Apr 9, 2010
contacted google and told them that apparently its the charger, and if they would send me a new charger.
the responded that i would have to RMA the whole device.

I rang google to inform them of the issue and check my options. they said this was not something they had heard of before and had no complaints of this nature? Really? A google search for "nexus 5x charging screen lag" shows up many results. nope. They had not heard of it.
Advised me to return the device to amazon if I felt it was faulty.

kzchy

Nov 24, 2014
Mine has number 511 on the box, implying that it was manufactured during November. So even after two months the issue still exists. Frustrating. I'm taking the phone back to the reseller, hope they'll give me a working charger/phone combination.

quark-lepton

Dec 13, 2015
Mine also 511. I also tried a charger from another 511 box, but it didn't help either. So I bought the USB C charger from Choetech (which does not come with a cable, so I used the same cable) but it's still the same issue.
Only a USB A charger with a USBA-USBC cable solved my issue.

queerquirks

Nov 19, 2010
It's a grounding issues with the charger adaptor, not the cable or phone. Using another type c charger should be fine, google will not acknowledge it when I asked previously, they assume it's a faulty device. The USA set has it worse than UK /international sets.

quark-lepton

Dec 13, 2015
As I said I bought a different charger, but there is still the same issue. So I think it must be the device.

neu - smurph

May 14, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
There's a long thread on the Google Nexus Support Forums which has pretty conclusively confirmed is the supplied OEM chargers in some territories lack of a proper earth/ground in combination with insufficient shielding on the screen that causes this problem. Multiple reports that the Google Store generic 3amp USB C charger which has a proper earth/ground does not cause this lag. One or two reports of retailers acknowledging this and offering partial refunds for the end user to purchase the Google Store charger.

I've got a UK device, the lag is bad with the OEM charger. But I rarely use the device when charging so I don't really care.

Reactions: Darke5tShad0w

AndyTiran

Apr 1, 2012
I got the same issue when charging with stock charger and cable. Screen becomes "numb" doesn't register all of the input, this issue is obvious when Swiping.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Change the charger and the problem should go away. Some of them don't have proper grounding apparently.

Google will RMA for this and you can just swap out the chargers if you want to keep your original device.

tedrogers61

Aug 18, 2012
Thanks! How do you find out the manufacture date?

On your box you will find a serial number the first digit relates to the year the next two relate to the month. My serial number starts 510 therefore date of manufacture was October 2015.. Incidentally the phone that I returned was also manufactured in October so in my case at least date of manufacture appears to have made no difference.

Mine is the same, starts 510, so October 2015, after the aforementioned 'problem period', yet mine is laggy as heck on charge with the 3 amp LG piece of crud. On my Touchpad charger using an Anker USB adapter, the N5X is fine (so far!).

I've complained. I only got this phone yesterday (glad I noticed this problem), and apart from this problem I really like it compared to my old N5. I bought from Amazon UK so I've asked for USB-C powerbank for free. I hope they step up and keep me happy because I buy a lot from them. This is a terrible flaw for a modern new device though!

Imagine buying a car, that stuttered and didn't run when you put petrol in!! (Not that anyone can refuel while moving, but it sort of makes a valid point). :fingers-crossed:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Help Google to Solve This Issue

For those following this unfolding, I've been campaigning and investigating this issue across Reddit and the Google Product Forums, and we now have an actual Googler who worked on the 5X's touchscreen looking into this with his team. The Googler in question assures me they are actively investigating this internally and deciding what to do, and are acquiring chargers and carrying out tests to see what's going on 'in the wild'.

We also have the attention of a very knowledgable moderator/volunteer on the Google Product Forums who has the ability to pass information directly to the Nexus phone engineers. However, he reports that they need data. So please, if you have a 5X and are experiencing strange touchscreen behaviour whilst Rapid Charging, go to this post on the Google Product Forums and answer the following questions (my comments in square brackets):

• There is a metal ring around the fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone. Does continuously touching the fingerprint ring on the back make the issue go away? [most reports suggest this works, as it grounds the device]
    • Do you see the issue with both high-speed charging and low/no-speed charging? For example, if battery is low vs full, do you see a difference? [most reports find this issue only noticeable in Rapid Charging state]
    • Try different outlets in your home/office/etc - do they all fail equally?
    • Do you see the issue with any other chargers? If so, which?
    • Which cord are you using to charge? The official one, or a third-party cable?
    • Specific details, such as the build date of your phone would help (This is the first 3 numbers of your S/N [printed on the label on the box your phone came in], usually starting 5__ )
    • What is the serial number printed on your charger?

The more people that can answer these questions on that thread, the more that Google have to work with and the faster they'll be able to diagnose what's going on here.

Cheers
    I find it only occurs when I'm fast charging, has the issue gone for you on both slow and fast charging?

After replacing my 5X I have no issues with the touchscreen whilst charging rapidly. I urge all others with this issue to seek a replacement.
    To all those that decided to send the device back due to this issue - did they send you a new one or were they attempting to repair it?
    The problem lies with the charger - I exchanged my phone for a new one and have the same problem. The Google product forum for this issue has more detail.

There's a long thread on the Google Nexus Support Forums which has pretty conclusively confirmed is the supplied OEM chargers in some territories lack of a proper earth/ground in combination with insufficient shielding on the screen that causes this problem. Multiple reports that the Google Store generic 3amp USB C charger which has a proper earth/ground does not cause this lag. One or two reports of retailers acknowledging this and offering partial refunds for the end user to purchase the Google Store charger.

I've got a UK device, the lag is bad with the OEM charger. But I rarely use the device when charging so I don't really care.