• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Poor video call sounds

Search This thread

hassanaliyeh

Apr 3, 2015
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I am facing an issue with my video calls with all firmwares of global rom since first release untill 12.5.4. the issue is the other side can't hear me well as the volume is really low, and if a group of us are on the video, only the holder of the phone is heard, and the rest are heard like speaking under water.
Tried several apps, all types of available video calls and all same, DUO, messenger, imo, line, Skype, etc.

However, if speaker is on instead of video call, the sound is amazing. Tested mics of all 3 of them and working perfect.

Anyone facing same issue and was able to resolve it? Please let me know how to get it sorted as it is really annoying.

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
The First thing I can say is to force stop those apps and clear cache and data and see if the issue persists,try also a reboot after done it

hassanaliyeh

Apr 3, 2015
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
The First thing I can say is to force stop those apps and clear cache and data and see if the issue persists,try also a reboot after done it
Done, done ,done and a factory reset also done. I believe It is something related to software priorities or algorithm to reduce ambient noise but in a bad way instead of a good way.

As example, I make a phone call with my parents on video call using duo, if my daughter is far around 2-3 Meters from the phone then they would hear her like speaking under water, if further they would not hear her, if closer would be okay. Also, even if close to the phone the volume is lower than usual. However, if it is a voice call with speaker, everything is loud and clear.

This concludes to me as a software issue or apps compatibility with this device. I cannot find a solution, and I see it a very common issue with many devices as well, not only mi 11 ultra, but for this device I cannot find a solution.

Try to make a video call using Duo with people around you, the other side will hear you only and with a lower volume than usual. If you use WhatsApp it is slightly better but still poor.

xNAPx

Sep 26, 2010
What Cover do you have? Did you try the same with the phone without cover? Because I don't have this issue (using WhatsApp)

hassanaliyeh

Apr 3, 2015
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
a new update
-----------------------------

I found what is the cause, it is called voice gain or volume gain. it is set as low by default and cannot be changed except by root. there are a few applications that can boost gain. as gain by default is set at 1 and can go as high as you could. an app called (Microphone Amplifier) is a simple app that really helped me with it for now but still needs more testing. the app got a very low rate because of no instructions how to use it and very poor UI, but the function is simply what am I looking for.

if anyone have an idea to fix the microphone gain without root please share it with me.

I've tried SetEdit but couldnt find the correct lines (tried volume_voice_xxx) but non of them worked.