[PORT]Face Unlock for Mate 9 (OREO EMUI8 ONLY)

Search This thread

ante0

Dec 28, 2009
Stockholm
Face Unlock for Mate 9 Oreo
(Honor 8 Pro EMUI8 is confirmed too)

Download and flash in TWRP: https://mega.nz/#!FfxihZqD!vjF2rz0elfiay_ZYeQWwLfVG9lNI7FYAyi2vaohaiEs

Magisk module: https://mega.nz/#!1Xp0DbaC!fJvieuQWjbAauylqCvngHoM3wLPChTTCgPdO0yy0UC8
If anyone good at making modules looks at it, please find a proper way of doing it. Right now I only symlink files to /product and /odm. The symlinks in /odm stays after uninstall. Best would be to actually auto mount (like /system and /vendor is) it but I think magisk needs to be edited for that (?)

Also, check if you have /odm available in your TWRP version, else install this one:
TWRP 3.2.1: https://mega.nz/#!AP5DRA4Q!i02i8cCi_UWoF2XZl5gjLb5ESpeilpR_OD0MHSh6Ezg

To "enrol" (lol) face after installing, go to Settings -> Security & Privacy -> Face unlock

Face unlock is actually available already in Mate 9 from the start, it just needs to be enabled.
And a few files are missing which I took from Honor V10 firmware.
If you want to revert, just check the zip for what files to remove and remove
ro.config.face_detect=1
ro.config.face_recognition=true
from /product/etc/prop/local.prop

Thanks to @LastStandingDroid for testing and pointing out where prop was located.

Update 2: as a "side-effect", face recognition enables the Smart Rotate option in Settings -> Display (at the bottom). Thanks to @LastStandingDroid for pointing this out

Update: I've tested it on C432B363 now, and it doesn't work.
It's supposed to say "Settings -> Security & Privacy -> Face unlock" . But in this firmware it says "Face recognition".
I'm not sure what changed, maybe Settings.apk.
It definetly works on B365 but safetynet is not passing on this one yet.

Last edited:

ystokar

Aug 2, 2012
how could i have flashed it wrong?
could it be related to "/odm"? what is this?

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

i'm using twrp 3.2.1.0 (fromthefuture)

L

LastStandingDroid

how could i have flashed it wrong?
could it be related to "/odm"? what is this?

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

i'm using twrp 3.2.1.0 (fromthefuture)
If you can't backup files in odm in in twrp that means you didn't succeed. It looks like you don't as the setting is enabled.

Please use the one in op instead :)

Odm partition handles some camera and audio files. Much more isn't in there

Sent from my DUK-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ante0

Dec 28, 2009
Stockholm
@ante0 @LastStandingDroid....I don't know how this face unlock is supposed to work!!! I flashed ok, I can even add my face....but it is not unlocking my phone....always asking me to use FP....but the showing notification on locked screen is likely working.....!!!

When you're in Face unlock in settings, do you see "Direct unlock" option?
And if you don't, do you use Firedance data mod?

ante0

Dec 28, 2009
Stockholm
Updated OP with magisk module.

I will test B363 with Firedance mod today, another user reported it as not working and it may have to do with mod...
He could only see one option in Face unlock, "Direct unlock" and "swipe to unlock" was missing. But those strings are in Settings.apk in B363 s they're not missing.

L

LastStandingDroid

@ante0 @LastStandingDroid....I don't know how this face unlock is supposed to work!!! I flashed ok, I can even add my face....but it is not unlocking my phone....always asking me to use FP....but the showing notification on locked screen is likely working.....!!!
Remove fingerprint unlock I don't think you can use both.

Also if you have locked screen press power and just look at your screen it shall unlock fast

When you're in Face unlock in settings, do you see "Direct unlock" option?
And if you don't, do you use Firedance data mod?

Direct unlock in not there....!!! I am on L29C185B371......!!!! I dont use Firedance mod neither.....

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Remove fingerprint unlock I don't think you can use both.

Also if you have locked screen press power and just look at your screen it shall unlock fast

I tried removing FP too....!!! same issue....!!! I cannot use Face unlock.....if there is a way I can make some logs.....u can tell me so I do it.....

L

LastStandingDroid

Direct unlock in not there....!!! I am on L29C185B371......!!!! I dont use Firedance mod neither.....

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

I tried removing FP too....!!! same issue....!!! I cannot use Face unlock.....if there is a way I can make some logs.....u can tell me so I do it.....
Try setup it again. For me it works. Sometimes (rare cases) it might not show up

Try setup it again. For me it works. Sometimes (rare cases) it might not show up

U mean flashing it again....? In twrp?

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

U mean flashing it again...! I tried removing the face data.... It didn't work...

L

LastStandingDroid

U mean flashing it again....? In twrp?

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

U mean flashing it again...! I tried removing the face data.... It didn't work...
I was reefering to face data. Let's try

Remove all current password/fingerprint

Remove faceunlock

Enroll face again and setup a pattern or pin/password.

If it doesn't work there might be a data bug.

Side note: for thus who has issues installing this mod use magisk and the magisk module. It's easy as 123 ;) also won't need u to have a twrp with odm support

I was reefering to face data. Let's try

Remove all current password/fingerprint

Remove faceunlock

Enroll face again and setup a pattern or pin/password.

If it doesn't work there might be a data bug.

Side note: for thus who has issues installing this mod use magisk and the magisk module. It's easy as 123 ;) also won't need u to have a twrp with odm support

I didn't work....! Tried magisk to.... It didn't work neither! :crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Face Unlock for Mate 9 Oreo
    (Honor 8 Pro EMUI8 is confirmed too)

Download and flash in TWRP: https://mega.nz/#!FfxihZqD!vjF2rz0elfiay_ZYeQWwLfVG9lNI7FYAyi2vaohaiEs

Magisk module: https://mega.nz/#!1Xp0DbaC!fJvieuQWjbAauylqCvngHoM3wLPChTTCgPdO0yy0UC8
    If anyone good at making modules looks at it, please find a proper way of doing it. Right now I only symlink files to /product and /odm. The symlinks in /odm stays after uninstall. Best would be to actually auto mount (like /system and /vendor is) it but I think magisk needs to be edited for that (?)

Also, check if you have /odm available in your TWRP version, else install this one:
    TWRP 3.2.1: https://mega.nz/#!AP5DRA4Q!i02i8cCi_UWoF2XZl5gjLb5ESpeilpR_OD0MHSh6Ezg

To "enrol" (lol) face after installing, go to Settings -> Security & Privacy -> Face unlock

Face unlock is actually available already in Mate 9 from the start, it just needs to be enabled.
    And a few files are missing which I took from Honor V10 firmware.
    If you want to revert, just check the zip for what files to remove and remove
    ro.config.face_detect=1
    from /product/etc/prop/local.prop

Thanks to @LastStandingDroid for testing and pointing out where prop was located.

Update 2: as a "side-effect", face recognition enables the Smart Rotate option in Settings -> Display (at the bottom). Thanks to @LastStandingDroid for pointing this out

Update: I've tested it on C432B363 now, and it doesn't work.
    It's supposed to say "Settings -> Security & Privacy -> Face unlock" . But in this firmware it says "Face recognition".
    I'm not sure what changed, maybe Settings.apk.
    It definetly works on B365 but safetynet is not passing on this one yet.
    So I wanna try manually adding the respective files and lines to their respective folders and props. So could you tell me where everything goes?

bash-4.3$ su
    HWMHA:/storage/emulated/0 # getprop | grep ttpic
    [ro.camera.ttpic_bg_enable]: [true]
    [ro.camera.ttpic_enable]: [1]
    HWMHA:/storage/emulated/0 #

Try this one:
    https://mega.nz/#!lexEVLyS!MuXS2cBgeuRnxZeoTkXmcDg7LhVsb-DGg8RRPZPLI7c

This is for Mate 9 Oreo only! As it uses camera from /product, most other devices seem to have camera in /system. (We do too but that camera apk is not used for anything)

Could you upload the HwCamera2.apk

see this post xD

Edit: a little side-note, AR mode is very girly. xD
    Aaaah whoa, Mate 9 USA variant, C567. Edited the prop and manually copied the files to the respective folders, works like a charm, tried getting past with a photograph lol, didn't work, which is good
    Can u please give the steps you did to accomplish this i tried to follow the op but didnt work for me Thanks a lot! :)

um i added the following lines
    ro.config.face_detect=1

to the local.prop file from /product/etc/prop/local.prop

Then i copied the contents of the zip folder to their respective folders on my device. Rebooted and then it just worked. You have to be rooted and have a file manager that allows you view your root partition. i hope that helps, english isnt my first language.
    Recovery Issue

i dont have that file.
    Reflash zip and now its fine..thx for help @LastStandingDroid

I am on Firedance B364 with data mode 1.5.
    May I know which recovery did you use. I am on 3.2.1 oreo flashed twice but not succeed cause odm partition not included in twrp.

And special thanks with some @ante0 & @LastStandingDroid
    Confirmation number: 0CD5761379144134G

Thanks,
    goldybewon
    Mate 9