[Port] Galaxy SII ICS progression(NON DEV ISSUES & Q&A)

What do you want next after the release of ICS?

• Close this thread

Votes: 45 9.1%
  • Jelly Bean:D

Votes: 35 7.1%
  • Make ICS even better;)

Votes: 290 58.6%
  • Keep thread open for rom related issues

Votes: 72 14.5%
  • A date with Rihanna(my favourite one)

Votes: 53 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator
Sure does mate...Just have to wait and see as you say...:) but all honesty regarding ICS one thing that kinda looks a bit off putting is the icons...specially the dock icons..look a bit looney tunes to me:D sure once the themers get the hands on the beast they will work there magic on it.:)

Yeah I know what you mean. When I saw the dock for the first time I was like ewww lol

True that though, once the theme devs get on it mate we will definitely see some magic things happening. :D

Communicated from a Galaxy far far away via an XDA premium quality neurotransmitter.

Reactions: veyka
M

Matriak31

Yeah I know what you mean. When I saw the dock for the first time I was like ewww lol

True that though, once the theme devs get on it mate we will definitely see some magic things happening. :D

Communicated from a Galaxy far far away via an XDA premium quality neurotransmitter.

Maybe Lord Verty might work his magic...But i must say my fave themer is Rixsta...:) Guy is a legend......But also like Banafen monkey themes...quality...But must say im kinda getting into themeing now...Thanks to vrtheme template(base) its easy to port the theme you want...Still hard work cause you still need to know the structures but what i have tried so far it works....And the one i am using now i just changed the status bar from grey darkish colour to just black...:D so proud of me...might donate to myself for my good work:D

xelin0

Sep 15, 2011
With the dock icons I really like the Apps one, but the others look kina childish//tacky.

Tbh I cant think towards future adaptations and mods.

I just want a working beta xD

razor 116

Jan 24, 2011
The SGS II and the galaxy nexus share some of their components with each other, the fact that google stated they worked extremely closely with Samsung on ICS which is clear to see with the camera and especially the launcher, I believe that the time that it will take Samsung to release ICS for SGS II is based on how much they add their features.

Then there goes the only good thing about the Galaxy Nexus besides the screen.

M

Matriak31

With the dock icons I really like the Apps one, but the others look kina childish//tacky.

Tbh I cant think towards future adaptations and mods.

I just want a working beta xD

true and that will come in due time....But the dock icons do look tacky very tacky indeed...but i guess its all about what the OS will bring...:) everyone is saying this update will kinda define android as a whole....lets hope they are right

M

Matriak31

The SGS II and the galaxy nexus share some of their components with each other, the fact that google stated they worked extremely closely with Samsung on ICS which is clear to see with the camera and especially the launcher, I believe that the time that it will take Samsung to release ICS for SGS II is based on how much they add their features.

Then there goes the only good thing about the Galaxy Nexus besides the screen.

i was actually tempted in getting the nexus and sell my gs2...but the galaxy nexus what only does it for it is the display screen and that updates will be more frequent as the nexus is pure google phone..Nothing else...everything else the galaxy s2 beats it hands down in every component.. my next upgrade is the s3

willian munny

Nov 22, 2011
Bordeaux
OK fellas I didn't read all this thread but I did enough... I think...
So here is what I see after so much boring questions to the devs and some of their internal problems they decided to stop de port of the ics as I saw in sgs2ics.
But if they gonna wait for the Samsung update to do some thing better give up for real! Why you are probably wondering now! To Samsung this update now is a waste of money now is the time of de galaxy nexus and they want to profit from it and after it probably is gonna come another device in the market with ics much better and once sgs2 is completely down they gonna give you the update.
So if you like me want your device running ics support this devs because for now is ore only hope!

Sorry about my English
And come on guys now is not the time to throw the towel!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator
Maybe Lord Verty might work his magic...But i must say my fave themer is Rixsta...:) Guy is a legend......But also like Banafen monkey themes...quality...But must say im kinda getting into themeing now...Thanks to vrtheme template(base) its easy to port the theme you want...Still hard work cause you still need to know the structures but what i have tried so far it works....And the one i am using now i just changed the status bar from grey darkish colour to just black...:D so proud of me...might donate to myself for my good work:D

Yeah, rixsta is a legend. I worked with him for a while on a honeycomb port. I've still got the theme and permission to finish it off. If you fancy having a crack on it with me then let me know. ;)

razor 116

Jan 24, 2011
Another point is that the next Google phone won't be released until december next year if they remain on the yearly cycle and by that point there will be a Galaxy SIII with a Quad core CPU and a Mali T658, this will be out in the middle of the Galaxy Nexus's lifespan, also I really doubt that Samsung wouldn't include the Galaxy Nexus's screen maybe an improved version e.g. Higher Resolution(Less Likely) or the same Res but with RGB instead of pentile. Super Amoled Plus HD god they really need a new name for that LOL

M

Matriak31

OK fellas I didn't read all this thread but I did enough... I think...
So here is what I see after so much boring questions to the devs and some of their internal problems they decided to stop de port of the ics as I saw in sgs2ics.
But if they gonna wait for the Samsung update to do some thing better give up for real! Why you are probably wondering now! To Samsung this update now is a waste of money now is the time of de galaxy nexus and they want to profit from it and after it probably is gonna come another device in the market with ics much better and once sgs2 is completely down they gonna give you the update.
So if you like me want your device running ics support this devs because for now is ore only hope!

Sorry about my English
And come on guys now is not the time to throw the towel!

First off no one is throwing the towel yet..Codeworkx and his team are working on their project now and are carrying on were the others left off. So sit tight and be patient. As regarding to what you said that sammy will not bother updating gs2 in favor of the nexus again you are wrong my friend..Galaxy s2 is the biggest selling android phone of all time if i am not mistaken and the best selling sammy phone for god knows how long now...all honesty i do not see the nexus beating that...So to your response no i still see an ics update coming our way when i do not know but surely if its not by the end of the dear deffo Q1 of next year for sure

Yeah, rixsta is a legend. I worked with him for a while on a honeycomb port. I've still got the theme and permission to finish it off. If you fancy having a crack on it with me then let me know. ;)

sure buddy...haha you and me amazing tag team dude...we give Lord Verty a run for his money:D just messing..but yeah i will PM you once im back after this weekend

M

Matriak31

Another point is that the next Google phone won't be released until december next year if they remain on the yearly cycle and by that point there will be a Galaxy SIII with a Quad core CPU and a Mali T658, this will be out in the middle of the Galaxy Nexus's lifespan, also I really doubt that Samsung wouldn't include the Galaxy Nexus's screen maybe an improved version e.g. Higher Resolution(Less Likely) or the same Res but with RGB instead of pentile. Super Amoled Plus HD god they really need a new name for that LOL

True but you are forgetting one thing and i think its the same with alot of people here...The current flagship phone for samsung is not the galaxy nexus..Its the galaxy s2...That is their baby their creation...Yes the nexus was manufactured by sammy but google had an input as far from what i can gather...Next flagship phone by sammy will be the s3....forget about the different variants in other countries like in USA we still are talking about the same phone here..and that is the galaxy s2...different variants yes with minor upgrades but its still the s2 underneath.:)

so for the time being s2 should get an update for ics.:) as regarding the display...well maybe they should get the retina on it..after all its sammy who provided the displays for apple anyway

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator
sure buddy...haha you and me amazing tag team dude...we give Lord Verty a run for his money:D just messing..but yeah i will PM you once im back after this weekend

Ok mate, that sounds cool. Vert is going to be shocked in amazement lol :p

willian munny

Nov 22, 2011
Bordeaux
Ok i see your point!
But look by the point of view from a company who spent tons of money in new device what they want???? They want to sell and what is the biggest bang on that device hardware? I don't think so ! So if you look in the market the ics update to galaxy s2 is a waste of money to then! If you don't still getting why yet just try to think why some one who already have a sgs2 would buy the galaxy nexus? So this update is just throw money in the bin! And like any other Company what they want is your money! Got that?

And sorry about the mistake I was wrong taking like dead the project but once still alive keep up guys

codeworkx

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2010
Bad Neustadt
Ok i see your point!
But look by the point of view from a company who spent tons of money in new device what they want???? They want to sell and what is the biggest bang on that device hardware? I don't think so ! So if you look in the market the ics update to galaxy s2 is a waste of money to then! If you don't still getting why yet just try to think why some one who already have a sgs2 would buy the galaxy nexus? So this update is just throw money in the bin! And like any other Company what they want is your money! Got that?

And sorry about the mistake I was wrong taking like dead the project but once still alive keep up guys

If they don't update the phone, no one who bought a galaxys2 will ever buy a samsung phone again. ;-)

and i've preordered a galaxy nexus because the display is awesome++++, the omap platform is great compared to every other because TI is releasing full sources and the fast camera seems to be a plus (5mp is also enough).
I hope i can make the gnex cooking coffee.

willian munny

Nov 22, 2011
Bordeaux
If they don't update the phone, no one who bought a galaxys2 will ever buy a samsung phone again. ;-)

and i've preordered a galaxy nexus because the display is awesome++++, the omap platform is great compared to every other because TI is releasing full sources and the fast camera seems to be a plus (5mp is also enough).
I hope i can make the gnex cooking coffee.
I say they will update but let's say this gonna come when you doesn't want anymore

I believe for real your update is gonna come months before Sammy
Is a market strategy so we can't wait much from them

Last edited:

Arkanius

Mar 26, 2010
Of cours they will update to ICS
It's just a question of speed
No one believed Samsung when they updated the Galaxy S to Gingerbread.

Anyhow, I love pure AOSP but I know if I bite the sandwich in Galaxy Nexus I'll kill myself when the Galaxy S3 comes out.

Kailkti

Apr 7, 2010
Kingston
I say they will update but let's say this gonna come when you doesn't want anymore

I believe for real your update is gonna come months before Sammy
Is a market strategy so we can't wait much from them

Well aside from the stupid US carrier (I'm going to blame the carriers for this and not sammy) counterparts who had delayed updates for gingerbread, the int sgs had a relatively fast update. Was it like the first or second non google phone to get it?
Point being samsung is relatively fast. Anyways we are really going off topic with this so lets end this discussion right here and now. I think its obvious no amount of statements are going to change your opinion nor the others or mine, so lets just respect each other's opinions and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the actual state, most of the users here could not handle the rom because of some minor bugs and a lot of incompatible apps from the market.
    It would generate a ****storm of dumb questions and fully kill development.

We don't need any feedback at the moment.
    Like the past has already shown, 90% of the feedback is "LOL, HOW TO FIX BOOTLOOP, PLX PLX HELP", "FIXXXXX IT FASTTTT", "FORCE CLOOOOOOSE, HELP PLX PLX".

And when somebody talks about "acting like a community."
    It's like on any project on xda. Dev's are spending their free time on something and in appreciation of it, we'll be bombarded with dumb questions because most of the users are lazy and cannot read. They just can cry like little childs: "GIEF GIEF GIEF NAO!!!!" And if they're not getting what they want soooo bad, they're saying "**** ON OPENSOURCE" and "CRAP COMMUNITY".

Great community.

It's our project, our free time. We're deciding when it will be released.
    If this is not what you wanted to hear, start working on your own ROM and learn how to develop like every dev did!
    To everyone:

First of all, I think its great that this thread is open. There is another thread in the Development section, and I think its surprising how little spam (compared to, say, the CM7 thread) there is there. I personally think XDA should implement a better system for filtering posts on the development sections in general, but that's a discussion for a different time.

Second of all, I think people are forgetting that the source for ICS came out less than two weeks ago, and the amount of progress the developers have achieved in these two weeks is utterly ridiculous.

The Galaxy SII is one of the most popular Android devices out today, and this is a double-edged sword. On the one hand its great that it introduced the power of Android to so many people... on the other hand, there appears to be an influx of newcomers that think someone here owes them something.

Codeworkx, and the rest of the development team, I don't think I can stress this enough:

The entire SGS/SGSII community is in your debt! Please ignore the very small (but extremely vocal) group of users who continue to bug you regarding ETA's and other similarly childish, selfish, impatient requests and comments. Please don't dignify any of these users with your time, for it is invaluable. Plus, I guarantee the same users will see this as an invitation to come back and bug you further, and I guarantee other similarly-minded users will now think its acceptable to post such things.

I promise you that the majority of the users enjoy and appreciate your work immensely, and are simply waiting patiently for your release.

To everyone who keep posting messages such as "stop spamming/this question has been asked before/read the thread":
    Its pointless. We aren't moderators. I've posted the same things myself, but I realized that no matter how many times we post these messages... no matter how big the font in the op is... no matter how many times a question has been answered... egotistical selfish users will continue to repeat the same questions. Instead, let's just try to ignore them. Stop validating their posts by replying to them... instead, click the triangle with the exclamation point on the upper right corner and let the moderators moderate.

Yes, I wish we had the power to forcefully stop these users, but we don't... so let's let those who DO have the power to do so, do so.
    looks like we're going to fix the mic problem soon.
    but only if it won't be more hackish. we'll see.
    Thread is being closed due to peoples inability to read the first post and comprehend the facts before posting.

There will be a locked sticky to replace this which we will keep up to date (as best we can).

Anyone starting "whaa whaa wheres my ICS?" threads will be pointed and laughed at.....

Sent From My Fingers To Your Face.....
    Reading some things on here makes me think some sperms were better off being spat out.