Porting AOSP Contacts & Dialer for Samsung Roms

Search This thread

joeldroid

Feb 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
joeldroid.com
Hi Fellow Devs,
I would like to port AOSP contacts and dialer to work in the Samsung Roms.
Device Note II N7100/ S III I9300
Android Version 4.1.2

I tried everything...
Using Cyanogen 10, AOSP 4.1.2, and AOKP 4.1.2 builds
but unfortunately none of them work (they disappear from the launcher.

I know there are lots of devs porting it.
Is there anyone who will care to point me out in the right direction?
Like how to do?
I do not want anyone doing it for me.
Just want to learn how to do it.

Any help on this matter is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Reactions: nowy57

Ceelos09

Apr 18, 2011
Hi Fellow Devs,
Android Version 4.1.2

I tried everything...

Like how to do?

Thank you.

Make sure you have apktool or something similar setup already before you dive in. I know ports like these will require you to decompile, edit, and recompile apk's.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

jamice4u

I have no problems getting aosp contacts and dialer to work on 4.1.2 ROMs. No FCS and syncs 100% with your Google contacts.
Can you please send me these instructions as well. Thanks. But what I really want to know is how to added touchwiz tablet contacts and dialer to work on touch wiz 4.1.2 Roms specifically the NoWizAOSP rom that I am currently using. Thanks. I will thank your post tomorrow when I have more thanks. I used them all up today.

magickone

Jun 18, 2010
Maybe it is off topic but I wonder, would it be possible to extract Samsung's Dialer (Telephone app) and port it to android phone made by another manufacturer?

Samsung has one particular feature that I'm interested in - it's native (operator supported) 3G video calls, a feature that was never adopted in the USA and does not depend on your data plan like Skype, Tango etc. I've got free video calls (charged as regular voice calls) from my (European) operator and I would like to use it.

Any suggestions (apart from using mobile SIP clients which require both parties to have one)?

Reactions: devlock

MattBooth

Jan 4, 2011
Bradford
mattbooth.dev
I think the AOSP Contacts only works, without hassle, on the Note II. I've seen a number of ROMS with it working fine... Modstorm told me he just pushed it and it worked. On my SGS3, it doesn't :/

nowy57

Nov 3, 2007
Poland
thats not exactly true - you can ask du@l personaly

when I was on TW mixed rom as du@l i v got issue with aosp dialer + aosp contacts :

when somebody will give me a ring (from outside my contacts) but I didnt answer
and another person(from out of my contact as well) will do the same I mean was try to phone me but I didnt answer
and after that I will try to recall to them ,phone number on unanswered calls shows to some other person not wich was calling to me .
it is confused to tell about it to but it didnt work right

assume :
no one as I know didnt port right AOSP dialer + AOSP contact to TW roms !
sad true

Last edited:

MattBooth

Jan 4, 2011
Bradford
mattbooth.dev
Shared user Id seems to be the issue.

From what I've read, for an apk to use this it needs to have the same signature keys as the others...

Now, does this mean we should resign, manually, the whole ROM? Is that even feasible?

tjohnsonjr

Jan 4, 2006
Oceanside, CA
Add the Contacts.apk (/system/apk) to your ROM first. You can take it from my ROM if you don't have.

*Sign all the apks in the system/apps folders including the framework-res.apk

*Now you will have to replace all the apks your have in the /system/app folder that updates through the Market(ie All GAPPS, YouTube.apk etc). When I say replace, I mean replace them with the OG apks that aren't resigned

Reason being is that they will not update anymore because the signatures will be different. MAKE SURE YOU ONLY REPLACE THOSE APKS AND LEAVE THE OTHERS ALONE.

MattBooth

Jan 4, 2011
Bradford
mattbooth.dev
Ah, so I was right? You resign everything except market apks? All the Samsung System APK's?

I need to try this.

EDIT:

BAM and like that, it works :D An easier way is to disable signature verification. No need to resign anything then ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaos ^_^

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have no problems getting aosp contacts and dialer to work on 4.1.2 ROMs. No FCS and syncs 100% with your Google contacts.
    Add the Contacts.apk (/system/apk) to your ROM first. You can take it from my ROM if you don't have.

*Sign all the apks in the system/apps folders including the framework-res.apk

*Now you will have to replace all the apks your have in the /system/app folder that updates through the Market(ie All GAPPS, YouTube.apk etc). When I say replace, I mean replace them with the OG apks that aren't resigned

Reason being is that they will not update anymore because the signatures will be different. MAKE SURE YOU ONLY REPLACE THOSE APKS AND LEAVE THE OTHERS ALONE.
    Hi Fellow Devs,
    Android Version 4.1.2

I tried everything...

Like how to do?

Thank you.
    @trentb12

Mate, can you post the instructions here...I know this is off topic...can you post the instructions/Apks...this would rid me of the need to use the cm 10 ROMs completely.
    Can you guys share this information? This is something a lot of people want... keeping it to PM's seems a bit un-XDA :/