Porting Clockworkmod recovery from existing image file from another device

Search This thread

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Hi,

I don't know if this is the correct section to get this question answered, but I'll try:

I have a new tablet, which is not really known at the moment. I managed to root it and next step would be to port Clockworkmod Recovery to it. Since I only found guides where I always have to repo sync the entire CyanogenMod github (which is 19GB+ as I heard), I searched for an alternative where I could save some traffic :)

I found a clockworkmod recovery from another tablet and wondered if it was just possible to unpack it, modify the recovery.fstab and repack it again.

Is this possible or do I have to modify more than the recovery.fstab? If yes, could you point me to the right direction?

Regards

globula_neagra

Jun 28, 2009
Birmingham
dump your stock recovery
unpack the stock recovery and save the vold.fstab somewhere.

upload the stock recovery here
http://builder.clockworkmod.com/
get the output and flash`it

if the key`s are not working, unpack the new cwm, and the old recovery, and put the keys from the old recovery.
if you get some mount points erros, you will have to upload also the saved vold.fstab on the clockwork site when you cook the image.

if this does not offer you a good result, you will need to find a similar device (processor, resolution) that has allready a cwm, and try it
the recovery file is ramdisk/sbin/recovery

Last edited:

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Hi,

thanks for showing me a way. Unfortunately builder.clockworkmod.com says it didn't find Android magic. This makes sense, as the image is a uImage with lzma compressed data inside. It seems koush's builder handles only "plain" recoveries...

Bad luck :)

I guess I'll try your second advice and search for a CWM for a similar device, unpack it, replace the fstab file and repack it again.

Thanks again!