Porting LineageOS to an Unsupported Device (with no similar devices)

Search This thread

vinaypundith

Jan 7, 2019
Hi,
I am trying to port LineageOS to an unsupported device, an IBall Slide Cuddle A4.
Here's the guide I'm following : https://fat-tire.github.io/porting-intro.html
This is the part where I need help:
"Add the blobs to the vendor/ directory

Once you have a working recovery, it's now time to get CyanogenMod building and working.

The first thing to do is to get all the proprietary, binary blobs into the vendor/ folder, along with a .mk file that will include them in the final build.

This requires three steps:

Create extract-files.sh and setup-makefiles.sh scripts to pull those blob files from the device using adb and put them in the right /vendor/ directory. There are plenty of examples available for other devices.
Create an .mk Makefile to copy those files to the $OUT folder during the build process and put them in the right place. Again, use other devices as a guide for what this Makefile should look like. An example filename might be BoardConfigVendor.mk
Make sure that the Makefile you just created is included from your main BoardConfig.mk via a command such as -include vendor/[vendor]/[codename]/BoardConfigVendor.mk. Again, existing devices can illustrate how this is done.

Now revise the device/ directory

Since you have a working recovery, go back and start modifying the files in the device/ folder. As always, use other similar devices as a reference.

You now have a easy means to do backups and test your builds. So start tweaking the device folder itself, and see if you get it to boot... Once you do, from there its a matter of building and supporting the various parts and peripherals, one-by-one. "
Q #1: Where all should I look on my device for the proprietary blobs, and what do they look like? Can I manually extract them out of my existing ROM and paste them into the proper folder of the new one?
Q #2: What do I modify in the device/ folder?
Q #3: What does it mean to "build and support the various parts and peripherals" Does this mean to add the necessary drivers? If so, can I get these drivers from the stock ROM?

The reason I have to ask this here is because my device has NO similar LineageOS-supported devices with the same chipset for me to refer to. My tablet has a MediaTek MT8392 chipset, and I couldn't find any supported devices with an MT8392 (or an MT6592, which is very similar). Also, there is NO code available from the manufacturer, at all. The only resource I have is a stock ROM.
Are there any other ways in which a device can be similar enough for me to use as reference?

It would be really nice if someone could provide links to articles explaining the above 3 things, or if someone has already gone through this process, share their experience.

Also, will my kernel (v3.4.67) be compatible with the latest LineageOS 16 / Android 9 or will I have to build an earlier version?

I am very new to Android development, but that doesn't mean that I can't learn!

vinaypundith

Jan 7, 2019
I understand that it is quite difficult. So instead of doing a full port myself, I am now trying the method of taking an image made for a similar MTK device and transferring the device-specific files from my stock ROM, as shown in the following guide:
https://www.techubng.com/2017/09/how-to-port-lineage-os-14-nougat-rom-on-mtk.html
It says:
"From System/lib/hw: Delete all mt6572.so blobs and replace with these blobs: DOWNLOAD BLOBS

Now copy these files from stock to port:

System/lib/hwcomposer.mt65xx.so
System/lib/gralloc
System/lib/lib.audio.primary.so
Systemlib/lib.mali.soS
System/Etc
System/lib/libcameracustom.so
System/etc/firmware
System/lib/libfeatureio.so
boot/kernel
boot/unventd.rc (only if you are getting stuck at logo)
boot/Replace only camera lines under #Camera from stock boot.img init.rc to init.mt6572.rclib/libcamdrv.solib/libcamalgo.so"

But my stock ROM does not have any of the files he listed uner /system/lib! Can I ignore these files, or is there some other place where these files could be? (I checked /vendor)
Also, what about all the other files in /system/lib? Which ones are device-specific and does anything else need to be copied into the new ROM?

As for the TWRP, I have found tools like Easy Magic TWRP Installer ( https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-5162.html ) which will automatically do the porting given the boot.img and recovery.img from the stock ROM. Are these safe to use, as long as I provide the right info to the tool?

I want to use LineageOS on this tablet because the stock OS has some annoying bugs and is quite old (Android 4.4.2) considering how recent the tablet is and how much capability the tablet's hardware has. The manufacturer (IBall) has provided no updates at all.

Danbrown45

Jan 20, 2019
Lineage OS on Samsung Galaxy J3 Achieve (SM-J337P)

Can I pay a developer to make a working ROM to put Lineage OS on the Samsung Galaxy J3 Achieve (SM-J337P) ?

If so, how do I find a developer who can do it?

YggH

Mar 18, 2019
hey, i have a sm-t280 that have a similar supported device. how i port to it?

i have a sm-t280 that i wan't to update the android. the only exit i found it's build linegeos or aosp for it, can anyone help me?

here is the source tree:
vendor tree: huttps://github.com/gtexswifi/android_vendor_samsung_gtexswifi
-----
device tree: huttps://github.com/gtexswifi/android_device_samsung_gtexswifi
-----
kernel tree: huttps://github.com/pfent/sm-t280-kernel
[i writed huttps because i don't have posted 10 posts already]

khronus

Sep 23, 2012
Porting similar device mt6750t

I understand that it is quite difficult. So instead of doing a full port myself, I am now trying the method of taking an image made for a similar MTK device and transferring the device-specific files from my stock ROM, as shown in the following guide:
https://www.techubng.com/2017/09/how-to-port-lineage-os-14-nougat-rom-on-mtk.html
It says:
"From System/lib/hw: Delete all mt6572.so blobs and replace with these blobs: DOWNLOAD BLOBS

Now copy these files from stock to port:

System/lib/hwcomposer.mt65xx.so
System/lib/gralloc
System/lib/lib.audio.primary.so
Systemlib/lib.mali.soS
System/Etc
System/lib/libcameracustom.so
System/etc/firmware
System/lib/libfeatureio.so
boot/kernel
boot/unventd.rc (only if you are getting stuck at logo)
boot/Replace only camera lines under #Camera from stock boot.img init.rc to init.mt6572.rclib/libcamdrv.solib/libcamalgo.so"

But my stock ROM does not have any of the files he listed uner /system/lib! Can I ignore these files, or is there some other place where these files could be? (I checked /vendor)
Also, what about all the other files in /system/lib? Which ones are device-specific and does anything else need to be copied into the new ROM?

As for the TWRP, I have found tools like Easy Magic TWRP Installer ( https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-5162.html ) which will automatically do the porting given the boot.img and recovery.img from the stock ROM. Are these safe to use, as long as I provide the right info to the tool?

I want to use LineageOS on this tablet because the stock OS has some annoying bugs and is quite old (Android 4.4.2) considering how recent the tablet is and how much capability the tablet's hardware has. The manufacturer (IBall) has provided no updates at all.

I saw Lineage OS 16 for HomTom S99….
I have HomTom HT70 with same Chipset of HomTom S99 MT6750T….
Im trying to read and follow carefully your guide but still i have bootloop.. :(
Is it Possible to Port it to Homtom HT70 so we can have Android 9 too??

https://xdaforums.com/general/devic...tom-ht70-6-0-hd-189-mt6750t-4gb-64gb-t3803052

Last edited:

AlexRsl1999

May 12, 2021
hey, I have a samsung j7 j700t (t-mobile), and if it has a similar version that is the j700f / h / m, but I have tried it and it does not work for me. What do I have to do to make it work for me? Help me please!!!

YomaAroriode

Sep 9, 2022
Warri, NIgeria
There is a custom rom for a variant of my device (Huawei g760) please how can i make it work on my device (Huawei g7-UL20) they both have the same specs and processor everything is the same

Jan 10, 2022
Google Pixel 3 XL
That's a hard task for getting started. A mtk device with no twrp available. I recommend to start with low hanging fruits. Like buying an old phone with dropped lineageOS support and building an updated version.
Hi there, I just noticed this reply you had made and I have a question about a device that may have had Lineage support.

What I would like to do, once I have my new phone that is, is to take my current phone Motorola Edge+ (2020) and turn it into a small Lineage tablet.

However, there is one slight problem with this, and that is rhat there is currently no Lineage support for this device, but there is support for it's younger brother the Motorola Edge (2020).

Now I do know that porting is possible between devices, but I've seen a lot of guides says they should have the certain similarities such as processor and such.

However the CPU, GPU and Chipset are slightly different (Same brands though), will this pose a problem in porting?

I of course do realize that I will of course need the proprietary blobs from Motorola for this device and I believe I have found them.

Finally, I am curious if you know of any up to date guides on porting? I will of course continue researching myself, however I thought I would make an enquiry anyway.

Any help you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Bloodstalker

kurtn

Hi there, I just noticed this reply you had made and I have a question about a device that may have had Lineage support.

What I would like to do, once I have my new phone that is, is to take my current phone Motorola Edge+ (2020) and turn it into a small Lineage tablet.

However, there is one slight problem with this, and that is rhat there is currently no Lineage support for this device, but there is support for it's younger brother the Motorola Edge (2020).

Now I do know that porting is possible between devices, but I've seen a lot of guides says they should have the certain similarities such as processor and such.

However the CPU, GPU and Chipset are slightly different (Same brands though), will this pose a problem in porting?

I of course do realize that I will of course need the proprietary blobs from Motorola for this device and I believe I have found them.

Finally, I am curious if you know of any up to date guides on porting? I will of course continue researching myself, however I thought I would make an enquiry anyway.

Any help you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Bloodstalker
Install a gsi

Top Liked Posts